PDA

View Full Version : Serious Help Needed!!

Daraven
Apr 13, 2003, 02:00 PM
Alright, I don't recognize many people here these days...I haven't been around since PSO was only out for the DC, where I played very hardcore with a lot of really awesome people. I had many names, but if any of the oldbies would recognize any...perhaps Lotus or Sabretache?
Anyway...I'm going to get back into PSO, and since I'm started a new job and will have money, I'm going to be getting either a GC or an XBox, and accompanying copy of PSO. Since I don't have time to sift through all these threads, could some of you please help me out with these questions?

1- Not to start a debate, but which should I get? Will XBox users be able to play with GC users? I heard something about having to pay more to play the XB version online? Any feedback here would be helpful, as costs are the same...
2- I have gotten cable recently--how will I be able to play online, if I can? I remember the DC used a dial-up method...can someone more computer literate help me out with this? If I can't play online using my cable, I don't see any sense in paying for a console...
3- Basically, any helpful feedback related to the above or any othe relevant topics is welcome. Thanks guys!

Robantifast
Apr 13, 2003, 02:11 PM
Hey I'm glad you've decided to play PSO again! Personally I'd get the GC one because the Cube is cheaper and I'm getting sick of hearing about the X-Box one...but meh. Either one works. I think the X-Box one has voice chat, which could get annoying, but might be kinda cool. I'm probly gonna stick with my gamecube one because of the high levels and good amount of rare stuff I have with my characters. Anyways, the X-Box version is seperating the servers, so you can only play with people in the U.S. The Gamecube version is international. So it's better in that respect. I think the X-Box version will be hacked more, but that's just my best guess. Anyways, I'd tell you to go with the Gamecube, but that's just my opinion. To get online with Gamecube you have to get a Broad Band Adapter and hook your cable line into the back of the gamecube. Then you sign up for a hunter's license and you're online! The HL costs $8.95 per month I believe. With X-Box I'm not sure what the deal is, so get someone else to tell you about that. As far as I know though, you sign up for X-Box live and then I think a Hunter's License. Probably costs more. Anyways good luck either way! If you get on GC you can give me a PM sometime and we can hook up for some slaying. Oh yeah, the X-Box and Gamecube servers aren't connected for security reasons just so you know. Peace.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:11 PM
I gotta be real quick with this cuz im busy. But to give it quick and dirty.

GC will be cheaper over all.

With cable you can get online with either system quite easily.

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 02:12 PM
The prices between the two are about the same. With the XBOX version, you have to pay $50 for XBOX Live, but you get a USB Keyboard adapter for free with the game. With the GCN version, you have to pay $35 for a BBA, and money for memory cards and a keyboard. Both come with a $8.95 monthly fee (after two free months (XBOX) or one free month (GCN)). The differences in the cost are virtually non-existent.

And, no, players on each system are not able to play with eachother.

Well, since you have a cable modem, I'd strongly suggest that you get the XBOX version. It's on a BB-only network, so the gameplay with have very little lag. Also, on the XBOX version, you get a choice of using either Voice Chat, keyboard chat, neither, or both.

Hope this helps. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:15 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:11, Robantifast wrote:
Hey I'm glad you've decided to play PSO again! Personally I'd get the GC one because the Cube is cheaper and I'm getting sick of hearing about the X-Box one...but meh. Either one works. I think the X-Box one has voice chat, which could get annoying, but might be kinda cool. I'm probly gonna stick with my gamecube one because of the high levels and good amount of rare stuff I have with my characters. Anyways, the X-Box version is seperating the servers, so you can only play with people in the U.S. The Gamecube version is international. So it's better in that respect. I think the X-Box version will be hacked more, but that's just my best guess. Anyways, I'd tell you to go with the Gamecube, but that's just my opinion. To get online with Gamecube you have to get a Broad Band Adapter and hook your cable line into the back of the gamecube. Then you sign up for a hunter's license and you're online! The HL costs $8.95 per month I believe. With X-Box I'm not sure what the deal is, so get someone else to tell you about that. As far as I know though, you sign up for X-Box live and then I think a Hunter's License. Probably costs more. Anyways good luck either way! If you get on GC you can give me a PM sometime and we can hook up for some slaying. Oh yeah, the X-Box and Gamecube servers aren't connected for security reasons just so you know. Peace.

Everything he said is right.

for xbox you get 2 months free then you have to pay hunters liscence (for GC you get 1 month free)(its the same price as the GC one.) plus you have the xbox live fee & the $50 startup kit. Xbox can only play with USA people. GC can play with Europe,Japan, and America.

Hope that helps.

Minos
Apr 13, 2003, 02:16 PM
The actual overall cost of playing online with GC and XBOX is not that different. Where you have to pay for one thing on XBOX, you have to pay for something diffrent on GAMECUBE.

XBOX users will not be able to play with GC users and they can only play with people in the US. GAMECUBE allows you to play with EUROPEAN and JAPAN players. (someone correct me if i am wrong on that).

XBOX has a built in ethernet adapter so the only option is broadband. GAMECUBE can use either dial-up or broadband....just have to purchase the correct adapter (for xbox the price of xblive would cover this extra cost).

What it comes down to is what would you get the most use out of? Look at the other games for each console, and if that doesnt matter then look at the controllers for each (i know some people can be picky about that).

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:17 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:12, Kalbelgarion wrote:
The prices between the two are about the same. With the XBOX version, you have to pay $50 for XBOX Live, but you get a USB Keyboard adapter for free with the game. With the GCN version, you have to pay $35 for a BBA, and money for memory cards and a keyboard. Both come with a $8.95 monthly fee (after two free months (XBOX) or one free month (GCN)). The differences in the cost are virtually non-existent.

And, no, players on each system are not able to play with eachother.

Well, since you have a cable modem, I'd strongly suggest that you get the XBOX version. It's on a BB-only network, so the gameplay with have very little lag. Also, on the XBOX version, you get a choice of using either Voice Chat, keyboard chat, neither, or both.

Hope this helps. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Actually if you calculte it out you save about 75-100 dollars with GC. (i'm including the cost of systems because he stated he doesn't have either.)

There is virtually no lag whatsoever on GC pso excep for the very occaisionally 1 sec lag when picking an item up (big whoop)

LoreSeeker
Apr 13, 2003, 02:20 PM
I would go with the Cube version. There are more people that use it, and lag is never really too much of a problem. Also, with Cube, you can play with the kind Japanese people. They are awesome. With Xbox seperating the servers, you don't get the opportunity. Voice chat would be nice, but it isn't worth the price of admission.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:23 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:16, Minos wrote:

What it comes down to is what would you get the most use out of? Look at the other games for each console, and if that doesnt matter then look at the controllers for each (i know some people can be picky about that).

Thats a very good way of putting it. Personally ( I have both systems) I like GC better. My xbox hasn't been touched for nearly a year. The only really good exclusive game for xbox is halo.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47385&forum=9&17
Check this link to see some recomends. As you can see Halo is really the only game people recomend.
But there are a few im sure you can find that will fit your playing style.

Yeah, the xbox one is massive! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif. but the new S controler looks bearable http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Math
Apr 13, 2003, 02:23 PM
I would say get XBOX my reasans are as stated-Head set,New to Online so there will probably be know hack(stop listening to the roomers),its on Band connection so there will be know lag 56k is sooo horrible i hate it,an another reasan,everyone will be starting off clean so you can build your character up with everyone else..

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 02:26 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:17, Robomonke wrote:Actually if you calculte it out you save about 75-100 dollars with GC. (i'm including the cost of systems because he stated he doesn't have either.)
Let's see...To play PSO, online, for three months:

GCN:
System: $149.99
BBA: $34.99
(3) Memory Card(s) (12 characters): $44.85
(2) Hunter's License: $17.90
Keyboard: $19.99
Game: $49.99
---
$317.71

XBOX:
System: $199.99
XBOX Live: $49.99
(1) Hunter's License: $8.95
(0) Memory Card (12 characters): $0
BBA: $0
Keyboard: $12.00 USB
Game: $39.99
---
$310.92

Of course, you could go with fewer memory cards on the GCN. As you can see, the prices are *very* similar.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:30 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:23, Math wrote:
I would say get XBOX my reasans are as stated-Head set,New to Online so there will probably be know hack(stop listening to the roomers),its on Band connection so there will be know lag 56k is sooo horrible i hate it,an another reasan,everyone will be starting off clean so you can build your character up with everyone else..

Wow can you say...spellcheck?

There are hacks on xbox, (they aren't rumors any more check the threads they are confirmed. I think too many fanboys are in denile...)

You must live in some very foreign country because with 56k you still experiance almost no lag. The PSO servers are curved to balance the bandwith of people playing. (meaning nobody wil be ahead nor behind other people)

Plenty of people make new chars on GC pso havent you noticed there are still normal games made?

With some people on the xbox one being on 200 already you won't be with everyone else.

Sorry to sound like a fanboy but I'm simply providing a counter-argument and correcting information.

You also might wanna think about proofreading your posts too...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 02:33 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:30, Robomonke wrote:
There are hacks on xbox, (they aren't rumors any more check the threads they are confirmed. I think too many fanboys are in denile...)
Nope, you are 100% incorrect. As of today, there hasn't been one single working "hack" available on US XBOX PSO.

With some people on the xbox one being on 200 already you won't be with everyone else.
No one is even past level one at this point, so there are no level 200 players. But, hey, there are some level 200 players on the GCN version, are there not?

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:40 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:26, Kalbelgarion wrote:

On 2003-04-13 12:17, Robomonke wrote:Actually if you calculte it out you save about 75-100 dollars with GC. (i'm including the cost of systems because he stated he doesn't have either.)
Let's see...To play PSO, online, for three months:

GCN:
System: $149.99
BBA: $34.99
(3) Memory Card(s) (12 characters): $44.85
(2) Hunter's License: $17.90
Keyboard: $19.99
Game: $49.99
---
$317.71

XBOX:
System: $199.99
XBOX Live: $49.99
(1) Hunter's License: $8.95
(0) Memory Card (12 characters): $0
BBA: $0
Keyboard: $12.00 USB
Game: $39.99
---
$310.92

Of course, you could go with fewer memory cards on the GCN. As you can see, the prices are *very* similar.

You dont need 3 cards. First of all.

Second. a keyboard isn't necessary to play.

Third. In the long run as I stated before GC will be alot cheaper. You have an xbox live subsciption that they are gonna slap on you later on down the road and if you signed up a while ago you may already be paying this added fee.

Fourth. (Looks both ways to make sure mastercard lawyers aren't watching)

Cost of Playing Games: Roughly $300

Cost of: No-serious gameplay affecting hacks, playing with the Japanese and Europeans, not having to constantly deal with asinine USA players who are about as foul as 3 month old fruitcake. (anyone who consistantly plays Unreal or Mechassault on Xbox live knows what I'm talking about) i.e. "What The F*** you F***in killed me! Your mom gives lousy Head! I swear to F***in god im gonna kill you! I hate you" (Insert random racial slur depending on how your voice sounds) people who constantly use the most irritating voice mask just to annoy everyone else. I.E. that freakin Robot voice. A varied online community with generally friendly people. and if they arent friendly go play with the Japanese people. (they are really cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Priceless.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:42 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:33, Kalbelgarion wrote:

On 2003-04-13 12:30, Robomonke wrote:
Nope, you are 100% incorrect. As of today, there hasn't been one single working "hack" available on US XBOX PSO.

No one is even past level one at this point, so there are no level 200 players. But, hey, there are some level 200 players on the GCN version, are there not?

First of all i am not 100% wrong. ask snapple who also owns an import version of PSOX he can confirm this.

Second. Yes there are about 6 lvl 200 people on GC BUT the GC version has been out for over 5 months.

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 02:48 PM
You dont need 3 cards. First of all.
To have the same experience that you have on the XBOX version (ie: 12 characters), it's required. However, if you took the time to read my post more carefully, you would see that I already addressed this point.

Second. a keyboard isn't necessary to play.To nearly everyone who has played PSO with a keyboard, it IS necessary to play.

Third. In the long run as I stated before GC will be alot cheaper. You have an xbox live subsciption that they are gonna slap on you later on down the road and if you signed up a while ago you may already be paying this added fee.
XBOX Live is currently $50/year. That's it. If you're referring to the HL, then, yes, you do have to pay that two months down the road.

No-serious gameplay affecting hacks
Yes, it's nice that both the GCN and XBOX version in the US appear to be enjoying that.

playing with the Japanese and Europeans
Yes, one version gets to play with the Japanese, but, as of now, both versions may get to play with the Europeans.

not having to constantly deal with asinine USA players who are about as foul as 3 month old fruitcake. (anyone who consistantly plays Unreal or Mechassault on Xbox live knows what I'm talking about) i.e. "What The F*** you F***in killed me! Your mom gives lousy Head! I swear to F***in god im gonna kill you! I hate you" (Insert random racial slur depending on how your voice sounds)
Yes, it's tough that both versions suffer from this. However, at least with the XBOX version, there is an option to mute as many people are you wish. Too bad the GCN version doesn't have such an option.

people who constantly use the most irritating voice mask just to annoy everyone else.
Fortunetly, one can mute annoying people on the XBOX version. On the GCN version, one must try one's best to ignore them.

A varied online community with generally friendly people.
Yes, it's a blessing that both versions shall enjoy.

First of all i am not 100% wrong. ask snapple who also owns an import version of PSOX he can confirm this.
Yes, yes you are. Show me ONE hack/cheat on the US version of XBOX PSO, right now. It seems that you cannot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kalbelgarion on 2003-04-13 12:49 ]</font>

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 02:57 PM
I'm willing to bet you didn't even ask around and just assumed that you were correct as a standard fanboy would do. But since this is turning into a fanboy-istic attack on me i'm going to stop posting here.

Daraven you got my 2 cents. I'm sorry if i couldnt be more helpfull http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BTW Kalbelgarion. Most of the things you listed were generalized comments that could be adhured to any conversation. Not 1 actually dissproved my statements, unless :nuh-uh! I'm an xbox fanboy and you're wrong because I said so!" counts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

Auracom
Apr 13, 2003, 03:00 PM
If you get Gamecube PM me. I'll hook you up with some stuff. I see you have a RAmar avatar... and I have RA stuff lol. I prefer Gamecube... don't just look at PSO look at all the other games for each system. I've always loved Nintendo games... but I'm biased hehehe

It's really tuff choice... whip out a coin for this one http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Japanese people kickass, they drop all sorts of useful items in town. I got 7 Scrapedolls for just joining.

I think segas gonna update Xbox version more often though. By updates I'm refering to quests and stuff like that, but eventually they'll update Gamecube.

What I'm talken about... Xbox Splinter Cell Exclusive for the Xbox... a few months later it comes out for every platform. I think its just a trend. Xbox gets it first, then a few months later everyone else gets it.

MEH, I could careless.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 03:02 PM
Actually i did show the dupe method for xbox and a list of working cheats and hacks. I wasn't aware of the serious consequences i accidently started by doing that but I'm still here so it's ok. I alsop regret most of my actions and comments made in the link I posted down there. I was simply correcting wrong information.

Heres the link. Due to the threat of banishment I'm not going to post them anymore.

BTW Thanz for mercy PSOW mods http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47015&forum=1&46

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 03:07 PM
On 2003-04-13 12:57, Robomonke wrote:
I'm willing to bet you didn't even ask around and just assumed that you were correct as a standard fanboy would do.
I *AM* correct on the cheating thing. You have yet to post evidence that there is *ONE* cheat available for the US version of XBOX PSO. It's impossible for you to do so, seeing how the game *isn't even out yet*.

BTW Kalbelgarion. Most of the things you listed were generalized comments that could be adhured to any conversation.
As were most of the thing you typed in that nearly incorherant list. I was just replying in kind.

Nice chatting with you.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 03:11 PM
This is prolly gonna be my last post here. But best of luck whichever way you chose and I hope you enjoy yourself and the glory that is PSO http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I'd appreciate your decision whatever you make but i'd also like you to post ur decision or PM me if you;d like to remain private. I'm going to start a new char on GC PSO soon, so i'd be glad to have a buddy to play with http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. I could also give you some beginner stuff to start out with.

Well best of luck and hope to see you on either PSO soon.

Kalbergarion I only hope you feel goodd about yourself by posting things like that in here. The guy just needs some advice. Go ahead and flame me. It;s pointless I'm not gonna cry about it. I think you at least owe the guy an apology for filling his thread with spam.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robomonke on 2003-04-13 13:13 ]</font>

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 03:17 PM
On 2003-04-13 13:11, Robomonke wrote:
Kalbergarion I only hope you feel goodd about yourself by posting things like that in here. The guy just needs some advice. Go ahead and flame me. It;s pointless I'm not gonna cry about it. I think you at least owe the guy an apology for filling his thread with spam.
Actually, I do not think that I've "flamed" you once in this entire thread. I've never called you names, nor have I accused you of being a "fanboy". I posted some points, you posted some counter-points, and that's all. I do not see where my level of maturity dropped during our discussion. You posted some claims that I believed were false (accusing the US version of having hacks, even though it has yet to be released, saying that it has a price much higher than the GCN version, etc), so I refruted them. Simple as that.

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 03:21 PM
Here i am being drawn in again...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but actually you did

By calling my list of statements incoherant.

Claiming i didnt know anything because i didnt post any cheats. which BTW is Insta-ban if done so.

Repeatidly stating that it was wrong and saying you *were* sure of it.

And generally turning everything I said around at me when you can't disprove it.

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 13, 2003, 03:24 PM
I think Kalbelgarion is refering to the final US version (Not the patched, spilled version leaking around). Its true there's no hack out for it because the only people who are supposed to have it are game fansites.

The retail copies should be arriving at the stores monday, tuesday...and on the shelves wednesday.

Kalbelgarion
Apr 13, 2003, 03:31 PM
On 2003-04-13 13:21, Robomonke wrote:
By calling my list of statements incoherant.
Actually...I did not.

Claiming i didnt know anything because i didnt post any cheats. which BTW is Insta-ban if done so.Again, I did not. I just asked for some sort of proof (testimony would have worked) that the US version has been hacked. And you could not, because it's not released yet.

Repeatidly stating that it was wrong and saying you *were* sure of it.I only stated I was correct conserning the cheating issue because I *was* correct, and I had concrete proof of it.

Methinks this thread is losing its focus, so this conversation should end soon.

IronKnight
Apr 13, 2003, 03:49 PM
Don't listen to the GC Zealots. Both versions are equally fun. But, if you have cable you're better off getting the Xbox version. Why? Because you'll be playing with other broadband players EXCLUSIVELY so alot less lag. Playing on GC with BB is like driving and SVT Cobra on regular pump gas; unrewarding.

In addition, voice chat makes the game much easier to pick up and play without worrying about dropping your controller to type out detailed commands to teammates.

Also, Kal is right; the prices come out about dead even.

Fourthly, the US version has been being worked on for about 3 months after the JP version was release. This means MS and ST had plenty of time to clean up glitches and bugs. The game isn't even out yet, so don't listen to people who say it is hacked.

Thank You for you time!

My Gamertag: ReavTek
Contact me when you get PSO XBOX!

Robomonke
Apr 13, 2003, 04:03 PM
On 2003-04-13 13:49, IronKnight wrote:
Don't listen to the GC Zealots.

Said by an xbox fanboy...where's the merit in that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robomonke on 2003-04-13 14:05 ]</font>

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 13, 2003, 04:10 PM
On 2003-04-13 14:03, Robomonke wrote:

On 2003-04-13 13:49, IronKnight wrote:
Don't listen to the GC Zealots.

Said by an xbox fanboy...where's the merit in that?

I've got an idea...rather than having a pissing contest on what version is cheaper, better, whatever...we just allow the original poster to make his/her own goddamn decision and leave this bickering at the door. Seriously folks...we're all playing PSO...just leave it at that.

SlickRick
Apr 13, 2003, 04:35 PM
The best idea is to look at other games and decide. If you like playing games online go with X-Box. Right now they have the best online network, and its only getting better. Next month RTCW comes out. If you enjoy single player games go with Gamecube. I have both systems and no singleplayer X-Box games really grabbed my intrest. I have GCPSO and I preordered PSOX. I stoped paying for my GC HL for now. If the XBOX version is hacked when it comes out I will just go with whatever version is less cheated on.

Eclypse
Apr 13, 2003, 04:50 PM
To the person that started this thread, I wouldn't ask a question like this because you are going to start nothing but a flame war, or arguments that will never end until the mod stops it.

If you read over ever post, people are pretty much posting the same things except for the two that are arguing back and forth like a couple of kids.

Of course more people are going to say GC right now because it's the version that is out now, but if you reversed the roles and the Xbox version was out first, you would have people saying that they would stick with it over the GC. It's an ongoing battle. Then you have people like Robomonke tell you that the Xbox version is hacked, but yet no one can post a screen shot showing these so-called hacks. Regardless of what hacks might be out on Xbox, it's still no different than the flooded dupe market on the GC, but yet people still play it.

If someone truly likes PSO they will play it regardless of what the state of the game is in. That is a sign of a true gamer. In terms of cost, they are both the same, and I wouldn't factor in the $50.00 difference between systems, because the GC has always been cheaper than both the PS2 and the Xbox. If you look at the overall stats it would break down like this.

GC - $149.99
PSO - $49.99
BBA - $34.99
Mem 251 - $19.99
HL - $8.95 x 6 = $53.73(price based on keeping PSO for a total of 7 months including the first free month charged at $0.00.
Grand total - $308.69

Xbox - $199.99
PSO - $39.99
XB Live Kit - $45.99 at Best Buy
HL - $8.95 x 6 = $53.70(price included based on keeping PSO for 8 months including the first 2 months charged at $0.00.
Grand Total - $339.67

The Xbox is more expensive by $31, but only if you factor in the cost of the system. Also even though you are getting the live kit for PSO, I guarantee you will be getting other games that are Xbox Live enabled, so that will offset the cost of the kit because it will be for many games and not just one. If you're like me then you are probably getting the GC for PSO only and maybe Zelda and Metroid. Outside of that you have no other online enabled games and you just paid for all that stuff for 1 game.

In the end it's all up to you, and I am sure either community would like to have you. I enjoyed my time on the GC version but for me it was just time to move on.

MonoxideChild
Apr 13, 2003, 04:54 PM
Having an argument with Robomonke is pointless. He's a Gamecube fanboy. He's already made it obvious. So he will do whatever it takes to make sure the Xbox fails. Besides, I bet he doesn't even own an Xbox like he says he does.

Let's say if someway that Robomonke is right. So what? The US ship will have nothing to do with the JP ship.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonoxideChild on 2003-04-13 14:55 ]</font>

Eclypse
Apr 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
Robomonke's signature reads:
"There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can't."

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but what's the third kind? Just curious.

Apologies for being off topic.

MonoxideChild
Apr 13, 2003, 05:03 PM
On 2003-04-13 14:59, Eclypse wrote:
Robomonke's signature reads:
"There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can't."

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but what's the third kind? Just curious.

Apologies for being off topic.

heh heh, I think there is irony in it there. Just think of the number 3 and the statement he just made.

Yosho
Apr 13, 2003, 05:05 PM
Just get the XB version, you'll thank your self when you see people on the GC talkin about..."ohhhh I lost my file cryyyyy crrryyy" lol http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Mister_Sinister
Apr 13, 2003, 05:10 PM
both systems are going to have positive and negative aspects:
GC will be cheaper overall
XBOX features voice support
Since XBOX is broadband only and you have broadband, it will probably be a faster network, no 56k poeple to slow it down
GC has a userbase, on XBOX you will be building up with everyone else
XBOX has regional lockout, so no playing with Japanese players
Various other distinctions between the two i am too lazy to list

For your second question, hooking either system up should be fairly simple. I have not hooked up a GC, but for xbox just buy the live kit, run a cat-5e cable from your modem to your xbox. you will need to input ip addresses, subnet mask, DNS servers, and the like. the easiest way to get these is to go to start, run, and type in winipcfg (that is if you are running windows)
on a side note, my friend had cable and couldnt hook up his xbox live, he was told he neede to buy a router(about $60) to get it working. probably not a widespread problem, but just a note.

MonoxideChild
Apr 13, 2003, 05:15 PM
You don't need a router to use Xbox live, and Live automatically detected those settings for me. But, eachtime you switch from your Xbox to your PC you have to powercycle the modem. Going with a router is the easiest way to go.

Here's how I would determine this:

1. Look at the game lineup's for the rest of the year for both the Xbox and Gamecube. If you plan on buying anymore games, pick the system that you like the most. I personally went with Xbox cause the line-up starting in May is going to be huge, and Nintendo is losing 3rd party support quickly. (Note: I do own a Gamecube)

2. Do you mind dealing with corruption? If you get Gamecube PSO, you will probably encounter it atleast once. Corruption is where you lose all of your characters and have to start allover again.

Ok now. If you answered Gamecube and no than go with GC PSO. If you answered GC and yes, get both consoles. If you answered Xbox and either yes or no than go with the Xbox version.

Daraven
Apr 13, 2003, 11:39 PM
Wow! I'm remembering again why I love the PSOW community so much. So many intelligent people with solid knowledge of the game, who are always open to helping with people, both in game and out of it, such as on this board.
My decision isn't in stone, to be cliche', but I'm probably going to lean toward the XBox, for numerous reasons. A fresher playerbase will be nice, though not necessarily a deciding factor. The idea of using a headset to actually talk to people while playing is a big thing for me. XBOX, no matter how I cut it, will be a little pricier, but a difference of 30 bucks or so isn't really a big deal. I also really want to play Jet Set Radio Future, as JGR was my 2nd fav. game for the dreamcast.
The whole cheating thing ..blech. I've always made sure to play with good people, (Puck 9 anyone? Shows how old school I am!) so that's never been an issue. I just remember Friday nights, sitting with a Mountain Dew and my radio playing, playing with really great people until like 4 AM. Good times! I can't wait to get back into it all.
Only problem is...$$$
I'm starting my new job tomorrow. It pays half-way decent, but I won't be working too many hours for a while. So it could be close to a month before i have the cash for the entire setup, aka, console, xbox live, game, headset/keyboard/whatever else. But, I'd like to make friends with anyone who wouldn't mind, as it'd be great to have some good teams for when I finally do get going. I'll have to feast on the appetizers of screenshots and reading the forums until I can actually play. Anyway, feel free to contact me at any:
AIM: EphemeralDraven
MSN: [email protected]
yahoo: soul_writer_2003

Night all, and thanks again to everyone who posted feedback!