PDA

View Full Version : Quick Beginner Gunner Questions

sammyjo06
Jan 18, 2014, 01:39 AM
So, I am pretty new to the game in general, but I'd like to make a new character and make it a gunner. I tried looking through the build guide and the gunner thread on these forums, and I've googled pso2 gunner guide to try to find something to go on so I can begin, but everything seems either possibly outdated or very long, convoluted explanations, going into detail I don't care much about.

So, here are a few questions I'd like to know:

1) Which stat(s) should my mag have? What do I feed it to get it that stat?
2) Is the build listed in the sticky thread at the top of this forum good for me to use?
3) What should my subclass be?
4) Where can I find a build for my subclass?

That's all I want to know for now. I am just having a hard time finding this information. I'm not into hardcore min-maxing or making everything perfect or even having a deep understanding of the class, but I do want to have a solid build and the right stats.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 18, 2014, 02:40 AM
Build thread is up to date
Yes it's good
Mag is listed in the build
Feed it guns until dex gets high then feed it dimates to bring it down
Subclass should be hunter
it's in the build thread

If there were any changes to the build listed there this would be them (http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?06e2bnIkb3Ikb3IkbnIkb3Ikb3Ikb3Ikfdt0 IbInqnGKJ7JiGA000007b000009b000000jdB2QHScFInfGAgB bp0000ib000000lb0000000Ib000008) It increases crit rate a bit and you dont lose anything at all.

Crits aren't important because crits unlike every other game on the planet dont add any sort of damage multiplier, they just guarantee you'll do 100% of your damage range.

Basically if your damage ranges between 900 and 1000, a critical hit will make sure you do 1000, essentially removing the RNG from your calculated damage. of course if your range is 900 to 1000 you're going to be averaging 950 damage and doing 1000 30% more often isn't going to break anything, but seeing as there's nothing else to put into on the hunter side, you may as well try to get the most out of that missing 5%.

sammyjo06
Jan 18, 2014, 03:55 AM
Hmm, all I saw in the build thread was the first post and then 101 pages of discussion. I wasn't about to read through all of that, but I just looked again and didn't see anywhere where the mag was mentioned, or the subclass.

Well anyways, thank you for your help :).

isCasted
Jan 18, 2014, 04:06 AM
Pretty much what SociableTyranosaur said, but I don't agree upon "subclass should be hunter" part completely.

IMO you should use both Ranger and Gunner as subclasses depending on situation. Main reason to use Hunter is Fury Stance so you could do 2x damage all the time, while main reason to use Ranger is Weak Bullet which allows you and all members of your MPA (that's up to 11 people aside from you) to do 3x damage against certain difficult enemies.

Gu/Hu is used for stable damage output, so you need it for:
1) doing quests solo;
2) Tower Defense EQ (because you can't put WB on every Goldrahda. Job of WB slave here belongs to Ra/Hu).

Primary uses for Gu/Ra:
1) going in party where everyone else can do lots of damage (like Gu/Hu or Br/Hu) - then you can rely on them most of the time, while they can rely on your WB when massive enemies come (Goldrahda is an exception);
2) any other 12-man EQ except for Tower Defense, because, yet again, massive enemies, but this time it's taken to a whole new level - bosses usually have 3x of their normal HP in full MPAs.

Most of the time you'll be playing Gu/Hu, that's for sure. But when Dark Falz comes you'll be invaluable as Gu/Ra.

Kamekur
Jan 18, 2014, 04:35 AM
Primary uses for Gu/Ra:
1) Dark Falz?

You could go RaHu for the reasons he mentioned and do a far better job. GuHu is fine too, there's nothing wrong with one more player in the dps department.
GuRa is kinda in the middle for Dark Falz since you can't do as much damage as RaHu with rifle, and you'll drop WB once you switch to TMGs. If you can't kill arms with that single WB and there are no other Ra around your MPA is screwed.

About the stuff you should feed your mag to lower dex... Go to My Room shop and buy 99 mushrooms (5* room items) for less than 40k. They're faster than dimates.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 18, 2014, 05:51 AM
Hmm, all I saw in the build thread was the first post and then 101 pages of discussion. I wasn't about to read through all of that, but I just looked again and didn't see anywhere where the mag was mentioned, or the subclass.

Well anyways, thank you for your help :).

Each class is listed in the op with a spoiler tag. if you click on that you'll see an explanation of that class in summary with recommended skills and links to full recommended builds using the skill simulator. Mags are typically included.

Gu/Hu is raw DPS and it's rare that you wont have at least one ranger in the party so WB isn't an issue. seeing as Hunter provides a nearly 200% damage mod while in fury stance, you're not missing out on much from WB and it's consistent damage vs the burst damage that WB provides. Ra's skills don't always play nice with Gu either as standing snipe which provides almost 40% bonus damage doesn't work with Gu's playstyle at all and will not kick in if you're using Gu as intended and using a shift roll to JA into your PAs. Basically only half of what Ra has will be used by Gu while all of what Hunter has will be used. Combine that with the fact that you'll have someone else with WB 95% of the time and it's just not worth the loss in damage potential to sub RA.

On the other hand if you find that you're running into a lot of groups where there isn't anyone to WB, subbing Ra is a reasonable alternative, just not the first class I'd recommend to supplement Gunner. Both builds are listed in gunner's section of the build thread. Hu is sustainable damage while ranger is burst.