PDA

View Full Version : PC Performance tips and info...?

Daveach
Feb 11, 2014, 10:50 PM
Hello people of PSO-world, I hope someone can help me a bit, regarding PSO2 performance...

Yesterday, I was talking with a friend who plays this game on a laptop, just as me (bad I know...); apparently, his laptop is better than mine and we started wondering if it is possible to "mod" something to get better frames, etc WITHOUT turning off the shaders, just like it's possible to make the game prettier with SweetFX and Nvidia inspector.

so, tl;dr: is there a way to have better performance without making the game look like crap? and another question semi-unrelated, does this game runs on DX9?
inb4 get a real PC -im on it.

Thanks in advance

blueyou
Feb 12, 2014, 12:04 AM
can you please post your specs?

Daveach
Feb 12, 2014, 12:25 AM
They are bad, but I've managed to make my game run decently at 20~40FPS:
Intel Core 2 Duo @2GHz, 4GB RAM, 512MB VRAM, Win8

blueyou
Feb 12, 2014, 12:49 AM
i dont think its possible with the current specs you have (cant specify what exact video card ur running) but the only thing i can suggest is lowering the resolution or try running in windowed mode since the recommended specs for a 512mb cards is running at 1280x720 . I dont believe the laptop you have is made for gaming...unfortunately since pso runs on DX9 already & is poorly optimized.

jooozek
Feb 12, 2014, 01:20 AM
if you are using windows 7, disable aero if you are playing in windowed mode, put shadows on 1 and then try to disable features 1 by 1

DJcooltrainer
Feb 12, 2014, 01:30 PM
The problem is probably that he's using an Intel integrated GPU, which are generally pretty terrible for 3D gaming. My laptop's specs aren't much better than what you listed (1.9 ghz AMD 4500M APU, which only has 512MB of VRam, 8GB of RAM, Win7), and I can run it at 60fps in windowed mode with every graphic option turned as far down as it'll go @ 720p. It doesn't look pretty, but it's playable. Totally acceptable for playing when I need to go out of town for work.

Have you tried lowering the resolution? That seems to make the biggest difference in terms of performance on my laptop.

Daveach
Feb 12, 2014, 10:21 PM
Thank you for all your replies, and to elaborate a bit more, my videocard is Nvidia Geforce 8400M (i think, ill check it when i get it back) (yes it's crappy for today's standards...).
So...in case i had a better Vcard, is it possible to tweak the game to get better perfomance? (or with my crappy videocard, without OC'ing)

DJcooltrainer
Feb 13, 2014, 10:00 AM
There's really no magic out there that's going to get your hardware to run faster without overclocking. And overlcocking is a bad idea if you don't know what you're doing, and an even worse idea if you're using a laptop. You could try a few things to improve your overall computer performance, which might help the game run better:
1. Un-install or disable programs for opening at startup that might be eating up your RAM and background CPU cycles.
2. Use your GPU's control panel to disable any extra filtering, anti-aliasing, post processing, etc. that might negatively impact performance.
3. Obvious stuff like updating drivers, scanning for malware, defragging if using an HDD, etc.
4. Make sure your laptop is cooled properly. Consider using an external cooling pad or fan if it's running hot.
5. Lower your PSO2 graphics settings.
6. No, seriously, lower your settings.