PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wi-Fi service ending in May

EvilMag
Feb 27, 2014, 12:33 AM
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

I guess this means PSZero is going?

BTW this means Wii and DS games. Wii U and 3DS are still staying up.

Chaos Rappy
Feb 27, 2014, 02:58 AM
Man, this sucks. :/

*edited because Rappies shouldn't swear*

Norco
Feb 27, 2014, 03:29 AM
I am probably gonna become a little more active. With that announcement out there PSZ bound to be a little spike in activity the next few months.

Edit: It would be cool to have a sort of "Good Bye PSZ Day/Week Event" before May the 20th, anyone else think that would be cool?

Rekku
Feb 27, 2014, 03:48 AM
Why am I filled with such anger

I've never played with anyone here, but I think it's time to change that. I don't wanna miss out on whatever's left of this game.
I gotta get back into this

HIT0SHI
Feb 27, 2014, 05:32 AM
Was planing on getting PSZero... guess I shouldn't :/

Unit 01 AT
Feb 27, 2014, 07:45 AM
Offline is worth the price of the game bro.

work has been pretty shitty for me lately re: working every single day, but if we organize a farewell event I will request days off.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2014, 09:08 AM
Offline is worth the price of the game bro.

100% this

it's basically a giant (well, tiny) loveletter to PSO fans.

I completely felt that PSO1 vibe when playing the game. I actually never beat it since I was an underleveled HUcast when I got to the last boss, but I fully intend on it some day. I wonder if any bridging programs will show up for this.

DJcooltrainer
Feb 27, 2014, 10:02 AM
That's kinda sad. I never played this game much, but it was very fun to play with some friends. There's some some Wii games I enjoyed playing online from time to time (no more brawl online, sad), I'll be sad to see it go, but I suppose the world moves on.

Daixsue
Feb 27, 2014, 02:36 PM
I JUST RETURNED TO ''OTL

Whats going to happen to the guild / revival groups... ; u;

Chaos Rappy
Feb 27, 2014, 02:39 PM
We'll be as good as gone, a legacy to be lived nevermore... :<

At least I still have PSPo2... too bad my PSP is glitchy as all geddan.

Daixsue
Feb 27, 2014, 03:14 PM
We should make a thread of a few give away items we may have.

I have a pretty large stock of MAG souls (probably not as much as your Rappy Souls) that i would love to give out.

Vintasticvin
Feb 27, 2014, 03:14 PM
We'll be as good as gone, a legacy to be lived nevermore... :<

At least I still have PSPo2... too bad my PSP is glitchy as all geddan.

I'll be getting psp2 soon soooo mebbe we can play together sometime? ;P

As for the groups and guilds just keep in touch and migrate to other games together if course.

landman
Feb 27, 2014, 06:05 PM
At least nothing will be lost this time, the online content is the same as the wireless one, the quests count as the same completion, and if you happen to have a 3DS, and two cartridges (like, the JP one and the PAL/US one for example) you will have a better experience playing locally with friends or family than the experience that provided the online of this game. I wish all the past online Phantasy Star games had that much continuity in offline mode!

100% this

it's basically a giant (well, tiny) loveletter to PSO fans.

I completely felt that PSO1 vibe when playing the game. I actually never beat it since I was an underleveled HUcast when I got to the last boss, but I fully intend on it some day. I wonder if any bridging programs will show up for this.

If you ever try again, equip a Laser, HUcast's best ranged friend, that's how my underleveled HUcast beat Falz. Buy my record was FOnewearl lvl 19 owning Falz with normal slicer combos...

Eclipse5632
Feb 27, 2014, 06:58 PM
If you guys organize some sort of farewell party, I'll see what I can do to join. PSZ was probably my favorite entry in the PSO series, so it's really disappointing to see it have to end like this... Sure, there will always be offline grinding, but the community I found here was what really drew me into the game.

Is there any chance of someone ever being able to start a private server? I know people have done similar things with Pokemon to check stats and stuff.

SolarSamurai
Feb 28, 2014, 12:57 AM
A private service and online eternal tower run would be amazing! Im up for any final month runs!

darekatano
Feb 28, 2014, 12:04 PM
Are there any missions or stuff that you can only get playing online?

Chaos Rappy
Feb 28, 2014, 01:05 PM
Nothing that you can't do by playing offline multiplayer solo. They're basically the same, mechanics-wise, but it's just not the same without your friends fighting beside you... :/

Eclipse5632
Feb 28, 2014, 08:00 PM
The only thing you need to play multiplayer for are the Team Member and Commentator titles. You'll still be able to do it over local wireless play, but you'd need to know someone else with the game.

jonigavin
Feb 28, 2014, 09:24 PM
[Gavin aka Kal-bee]
Count me in! Just say the word.

Vintasticvin
Feb 28, 2014, 10:13 PM
Just got a 3DS and got my new PSZ Friendcode :D

jooozek
Mar 1, 2014, 03:44 PM
PSZ isn't even on the list of affected games meaning it runs on SEGAC servers

Rekku
Mar 1, 2014, 04:45 PM
PSZ isn't even on the list of affected games meaning it runs on SEGAC serversWhat list of affected games?
If you mean the list on Nintendo's website, they're only listing their first and second party games, aka "Nintendo published." PSZ, and most of the other DS titles in existence, aren't published by Nintendo so they aren't listed (they can't list each and every game, you know).

Every DS game that has internet feature has a screen that says "Connect to Nintendo Wifi Connection?" That's exactly what's being discontinued, so... regardless of who made the game, Nintendo runs the online service that it uses.

Eclipse5632
Mar 1, 2014, 07:44 PM
PSZ definitely uses Nintendo WFC, not servers run by Sega. The list of games on the page linked in the first post is not a comprehensive list. This page (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp) lists every game that will be losing online play, and if you search for "phantasy" then PSZ comes up.

zain160
Mar 2, 2014, 06:15 AM
well this really sucks :[ i agree with Norco let do a farewell event for PSZ

RLbitClassica
Mar 2, 2014, 06:32 AM
I used to play a fair amount online a while ago, but eventually quit due to nintendo's online service being a general nightmare to deal with. Some of you may remember me, but I definitely don't consider myself part of the core group. Just a drifter that stops in now and again to see how things are going and have a drink.

Still a shame though. I've watched this born-to-fail, amazing, niche game slowly die over the years, but there's always been a wonderful and dedicated group of cult followers making sure it never sunk. Now I have to watch it die for real. It almost feels like I'm a kid being forced to move away from all his old friends to a new city.

Atbar
Mar 5, 2014, 11:10 AM
Although I have not touched the game for two years now, it's too bad the PSZ community will go down entirely now. I suppose Nintendo discontinuing online for DS games had to happen sometime.

DJcooltrainer
Mar 6, 2014, 03:38 PM
Well, there's always local wireless multiplayer, so the game can live on with your friends. Maybe somewhere down the road, someone will figure out how to tunnel local wireless from the DS over the internet. Probably by the time everyone has forgotten about the game completely. Kinda like how everyone said the Wii would never be capable of getting online with PSO, and now that it is, no one plays anymore.

yoshiblue
Mar 7, 2014, 07:28 PM
Time to learn how to rig a DS to use PS3 Ad-Hoc thingys.

gigawuts
Mar 12, 2014, 06:34 PM

I feel like this post went overlooked by too many people. Does anyone know any more information about this? I assumed the whole service would be taken down, meaning the method of connecting to any servers at all. If it's just the matchmaking services being taken down then PSZ shouldn't be affected if it doesn't use Nintendo's servers.

Zysets
Mar 12, 2014, 06:43 PM
This is a list of affected services and games (https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii/Setup-amp-Connect/Termination-of-Nintendo-Wi-Fi-Connection/Termination-of-Nintendo-Wi-Fi-Connection-859609.html), from Nintendo's UK site. I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of PSZ being affected though. It seems the list only has Nintendo related games.

Here's the list from the AU site. Doesn't seem to be any different. (http://www.nintendo.com.au/termination-of-nintendo-wi-fi-connection)

Unit 01 AT
Mar 14, 2014, 01:09 PM
I feel like this post went overlooked by too many people. Does anyone know any more information about this? I assumed the whole service would be taken down, meaning the method of connecting to any servers at all. If it's just the matchmaking services being taken down then PSZ shouldn't be affected if it doesn't use Nintendo's servers.

You overlooked the post that addressed this.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/games-wifi.jsp

PSZ is going down. It uses Nintendo WFC.

Perry
Mar 17, 2014, 01:42 PM
wut.

The game can be played with someone in the same room though, right?

Atbar
Mar 19, 2014, 03:23 PM
You should be able to still play through local play.