PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 I don't understand Shunka.

Galax
Mar 10, 2014, 03:51 PM
Basics: Just updated again today. I don't play often, because honestly the repeat grinding after losing my lv48 due to a hard drive corrupting and being replaced wasn't fun. I tend to take it slow; 48 was big for me.

Still, I got back to 32, and I saw a cheap Shunka; Having seen the topic on people considering if it was gonna get nerfed, I figured it'd be worth the buy.

I don't get what it's supposed to do. Am I using it wrong, or is it seriously just a forward thrust? Even the description says something about raging blows, which made me think it'd be like Asagiri and hit a lot more after that...but apparently not?

Does it activate when I get hit? Do I need to time my button spam to make it do something?

tldr? What in seven hells is Shunka supposed to do other than be an old-fashioned rush-thrust?

Pugas87
Mar 10, 2014, 03:53 PM
you must charge it to get the extra slashes

Kamekur
Mar 10, 2014, 03:54 PM
Hold the PA button to charge and release when the circle becomes the smallest. Then you can hold directions (forward and back for overhead slashes, left and right for horizontal swings). The finisher is always a golf club swing and it doesn't matter what direction you're holding. Horizontal slashes do less damage than overheads.

Experiment with different directions. W + M2 doesn't always work to hit what you want.

Forgot to mention, the PA consists of 5 hits: forward thrust, selectable slashes, and finisher which hits twice.

Zorafim
Mar 10, 2014, 04:00 PM
All of Katana's PAs are the same. You hold the button, instead of pressing it like hunter or fighter weapons. When the circle around you turns red and makes a noise, that means the PA is charged at its strongest. If you hold too long or too little, the PA isn't nearly as strong.
In Shunka's case, it strikes only once instead of five times.

Chdata
Mar 10, 2014, 04:03 PM
Make sure you do the full red charge, or it won't let you do multiple blows.

In addition, you have to hold down a directional arrow key (WASD) to continue the combo. Don't need to hold down attack though.

Kamekur
Mar 10, 2014, 04:04 PM
All of Katana's PAs are the same. You hold the button, instead of pressing it like hunter or fighter weapons. When the circle around you turns red and makes a noise, that means the PA is charged at its strongest. If you hold too long or too little, the PA isn't nearly as strong.
In Shunka's case, it strikes only once instead of five times.

I have to retort. Tsukimi, Gekka, Hien-Tsubaki, Asagiri and Fudou don't need to be charged. Not like anyone would care about most of them!

Macman
Mar 10, 2014, 04:20 PM
I don't play often, because honestly the repeat grinding after losing my lv48 due to a hard drive corrupting and being replaced wasn't fun. I tend to take it slow; 48 was big for me.
Uhhh how does that affect your character? It's saved on sega's server, not your harddrive.

Zorafim
Mar 10, 2014, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna have to admit, I don't know the names of any of the katana PAs. Nor what most of them do. All I know is that they have a great dash PA, a great single target PA, and a great AoE PA, and those are what I use.

Galax
Mar 10, 2014, 04:28 PM
Uhhh how does that affect your character? It's saved on sega's server, not your harddrive.

"Play environment has changed."
E-mail wouldn't show up; checked everywhere. I was forced to restart if I wanted to keep playing; I went from a lv48RA/30GU to nothing.

To everyone else, thank you; Still rather underwhelmed by Shunka, though it's a nice lead in to Asagiri followed by Kanran.

Chdata
Mar 10, 2014, 04:31 PM
At higher levels the damage multipliers tend to put a gap between things.

Zorafim
Mar 10, 2014, 04:42 PM
Doesn't it have a 700% modifier, compared to the 100~200% modifiers of everything else?

Sylphia
Mar 11, 2014, 10:17 PM
"Play environment has changed."
E-mail wouldn't show up; checked everywhere. I was forced to restart if I wanted to keep playing; I went from a lv48RA/30GU to nothing.

To everyone else, thank you; Still rather underwhelmed by Shunka, though it's a nice lead in to Asagiri followed by Kanran.

w You just have to get used to using shunka, it's a great pa. And you do know that you can change your email to something like gmail that sega will deliver to to get your old account access back. If you still remember your bday or secret phrase. If you have that info, use this link: https://gw.sega.jp/gw/login/

UnLucky
Mar 11, 2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah, Shunka does more damage than Asagiri if you connect with all the hits.

Chdata
Mar 11, 2014, 10:55 PM
How do you make shunka always do a side slash in third person while accounting for holding A or D spinning your characters body?

A friend told me that if your camera is aligned on your back or front, you have to hold A or D to do it, and if your camera is facing one of your sides, you have to hold S or W. But holding keys makes me spin in third person.