PDA

View Full Version : Quartz Solo guides?

Shinamori
Mar 18, 2014, 07:08 PM
Any advice on soloing Quartz? I just been se SS while have KC active. The running around until the cool down wears off. Is there a way to slow quartz down? I know breaking his wings makes him crash after this dive/swoop attack.

Dependable Skeleton
Mar 18, 2014, 07:32 PM
'Infecting' any body part with Poison status will cause Quartz to briefly pause and scream in pain. Breaking parts also causes a momentary pause, as you mentioned. Note that the four parts that can be broken (both wings, tail, nose) reveal weak spots (increased damage). Also, like all dragons, Quartz can be forced to 'stagger' by dealing a large amount of damage to the head within a short period of time.

For katanas, do make judicious use of Just Guard. If you're handy with a bow, it can be useful for taking pot-shots with Master Shoot while you wait for your Katana Combat to come off cooldown. Remember to JA your Combat Finish for the most damage possible!

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 18, 2014, 07:39 PM
I also found that locking onto his head, not his nose and staying right on him will make him do very little. you don't do the best damage but it leaves you less vulnerable. other than that time your blocks and when he does his missile barrage, don't stop moving.

milranduil
Mar 18, 2014, 09:15 PM
The key to a clean quartz is just dealing enough damage to stun lock him (breaking parts) and doing enough to make him scream (occurs if you deal enough to his body in general).

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 18, 2014, 09:19 PM
Seriously wish i recorded videos of me making SH quartz into a joke under a minute...

Anyway, I kill quartz under a minute (assuming you came out of free f. cont eploration with PB ready+full katana gear gauge) by parrying a ram, using PB (ketos proi for PP regen), using katana combat, hatou spam his nose. KF with 5 or less seconds left. When he goes into his enrage animation, or stagger animation from too much damage to his face, I throw in a full shunka to his broken nose.

I shunka him only 1-2 times. Hatou is better dps from a safer range. The issue of it not being as PP efficient as shunka becomes a non-factor when you use ketos proi.

OP, you are one of the many bravers I make fun of for overusing, and overly relying on shunka alone.

Done right, quartz won't be able to fight back for the most part .

SakoHaruo
Mar 18, 2014, 11:24 PM
Any advice on soloing Quartz? I just been se SS while have KC active. The running around until the cool down wears off. Is there a way to slow quartz down? I know breaking his wings makes him crash after this dive/swoop attack.

If you're running around waiting for KC cool down to end that's mean you need better gear. A Braver can stun lock Quartz really easy.

For best results.. Add poison to your weapon. Fill your KG before entering A3. Once the battle start block one attack to activate KG then pop KC and go for the nose. Hatou would be the go to PA in this situation until you stun him. When he's not moving use Shunka for max damage on weak points. KG should be active at all times if you're doing everything right. Ketos PP mag will help manage meter.

That's pretty much all you need to walk over Quartz.

Kikikiki
Mar 18, 2014, 11:37 PM
A better tip would be to get Photon Drink instead of Shifta Drink, because in my opinion dishing out more attacks is better than increasing a portion of damage.

If you can land the additional effect of PA damage up then it's also better than Shifta.

milranduil
Mar 18, 2014, 11:39 PM
I am against Photon Drink for 2 reasons:
1) RNG for PA up (if you don't care about this, your damage ends up lower and inconsistent)
2) if you affix properly 150PP is the most you ever really need on any class. Ketos and PPJ are a thing.

Kikikiki
Mar 18, 2014, 11:47 PM
Each to their own I guess. I myself get PA damage up fairly often, as in 90% of the cases whenever I use Photon Drink. And I use it like almost every time except for VH TAs to OHKO stuffs with Kanran. A Ketos usually only fills my PP pool once before it goes away because when charging attacks you don't regenerate PP. Stopping between PAs and doing one or two normal hits maybe better during Ketos but hey.

milranduil
Mar 18, 2014, 11:48 PM
After a couple streaks of 10+ tries to not get PA up, I just pretend that drink doesn't exist...

stroodle
Mar 19, 2014, 12:05 AM
Like how others have said, BR shouldn't have too much (if any) trouble at all.

If the quartz I'm fighting is at the end of FC, then I wait until quartz starts its first move.
Ideally, you would want it to do the missile attack (long stationary time so easy target) then activate ketos proi, if you have it, KC then go for the horn with hatou or shunka. Horn breaks, then keep going until it's dead.
It should die before it can do anything besides the reeling back in pain animations.

If it does something else, block the oncoming attack for KG (preferred) or dodge and then either wait until it does something that will leave it vulnerable/stationary for a while (missile, double laser, dive bomb into the ground, etc) and do the above, or try to break a part to make that vulnerable/stationary chance happen yourself then do the above.

If you want to break the parts while it's moving, hatou is good for the wings and nose due to safeness as mentioned before by others. The tail is harder to break while moving since quartz tends to face you all the time, so either the wings or nose are your best bet.

Shinamori
Mar 19, 2014, 02:32 AM
If you're running around waiting for KC cool down to end that's mean you need better gear. A Braver can stun lock Quartz really easy.

For best results.. Add poison to your weapon. Fill your KG before entering A3. Once the battle start block one attack to activate KG then pop KC and go for the nose. Hatou would be the go to PA in this situation until you stun him. When he's not moving use Shunka for max damage on weak points. KG should be active at all times if you're doing everything right. Ketos PP mag will help manage meter.

That's pretty much all you need to walk over Quartz.

I'm poor, so can't really afford to make good gear. I can do good damage, I'm just scared to get hit due to my slow reaction time.

GALEFORCE
Mar 19, 2014, 04:26 AM
Seriously wish i recorded videos of me making SH quartz into a joke under a minute...

Anyway, I kill quartz under a minute (assuming you came out of free f. cont eploration with PB ready+full katana gear gauge) by parrying a ram, using PB (ketos proi for PP regen), using katana combat, hatou spam his nose. KF with 5 or less seconds left. When he goes into his enrage animation, or stagger animation from too much damage to his face, I throw in a full shunka to his broken nose.

I shunka him only 1-2 times. Hatou is better dps from a safer range. The issue of it not being as PP efficient as shunka becomes a non-factor when you use ketos proi.

OP, you are one of the many bravers I make fun of for overusing, and overly relying on shunka alone.

Done right, quartz won't be able to fight back for the most part .

Sorry to break it to you, but you don't need to hatou at all to bring down Quartz in under a min. Shunka does roughly equal DPS with better PP efficiency (which admittedly you account for) and much less precision required. If you muck up a hatou, it's gonna do zilch. If you muck up a lolshunka, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuaDBIxQvKo

I did a pilot run before that, and it was basically the same thing, except quartz didn't even lift off the ground. That wing lock on cost me... and I neglected to jump shunka to get the horn with the stab. I've got pretty bad gear also. Like, guaranteed worse than anyone posting here, lol.

As for the guide thing, there's no one way to bring down a quartz. I used to use hatou a lot to inflict poison on the nose. It is deadly, but poison can be unreliable, and you may end up playing the dodging game with Q. If you just wanna shunka all the things, jump slightly before shunkaing so that your stab will hit the horn dead on and the vertical slashes have a chance to hit the horn if he raises his head. Shunka should be able to stunlock it. If Q manages to gear up an attack, use KC and shunka some more until dead.

Shinamori
Mar 19, 2014, 05:49 AM
Thing is, the fucker never stays still. -_- Probably do need better gear, running LR sets...

milranduil
Mar 19, 2014, 05:53 AM
I'm poor, so can't really afford to make good gear. I can do good damage, I'm just scared to get hit due to my slow reaction time.

You could have made a 2s Quartz/Power3 Blitz + Burn Tail for 1mil during the boost. Falz katana is 400k right now. Stuff is not expensive unless you go for the best.

Shinamori
Mar 19, 2014, 06:20 AM
I got the Falz katana already and I do have a Blitz Gloam in my shop that I might pull, but I dunno. I think my main problem is that I panic.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 19, 2014, 07:50 AM
Sorry to break it to you, but you don't need to hatou at all to bring down Quartz in under a min. Shunka does roughly equal DPS with better PP efficiency (which admittedly you account for) and much less precision required. If you muck up a hatou, it's gonna do zilch. If you muck up a lolshunka, well...

You either kiss the floor, or you have to guard cancel early, and do less total damage than a hatou, which also kills shunka's pp efficiency advantage as you've shown in your video, where I could get all of hatou's damage in one slash, and guard right after :wink:.

Anyway, it clearly didn't work for the OP now, does it? It's pretty apparent they're afraid of using shunka without combat escape.

Btw, consecutive hatous is actually a noticeably higher source of burst DPS (shunka's is not as close as you think it is). 12 hits to the nose in less time than it takes to even do 3 slashes of a single shunka.

No one 'needs' any one specific method to kill anything; I just gave the OP the most time efficient one after killing 200+ quartz' as a braver solo for susanoguren in vain (ended up buying the damn thing anyway).

Shinamori
Mar 19, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hell, by the time I find one is gonna be 100k.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 19, 2014, 10:13 AM
You either kiss the floor, or you have to guard cancel early, and do less total damage than a hatou, which also kills shunka's pp efficiency advantage as you've shown in your video, where I could get all of hatou's damage in one slash, and guard right after :wink:.

Anyway, it clearly didn't work for the OP now, does it? It's pretty apparent they're afraid of using shunka without combat escape.

Btw, consecutive hatous is actually a noticeably higher source of burst DPS (shunka's is not as close as you think it is). 12 hits to the nose in less time than it takes to even do 3 slashes of a single shunka.

No one 'needs' any one specific method to kill anything; I just gave the OP the most time efficient one after killing 200+ quartz' as a braver solo for susanoguren in vain (ended up buying the damn thing anyway).

...Did you watch the video?

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 19, 2014, 10:20 AM
...Did you watch the video?

Yes.

15 seconds in, stab misses, slashes once, had to guard cancel. I've addressed that. Hatou would have been better right there.

milranduil
Mar 19, 2014, 10:26 AM
after killing 200+ quartz' as a braver solo for susanoguren in vain (ended up buying the damn thing anyway).

I've had to watch 6 friends all get one during tacos/hunting it both before and after buying mine ._.b I'm convinced by the time I actually find one, it will be nothing more than cube fodder (essentially equivalent to all the old VH rares I've found after my 1200+ quartz kills :wacko:).

Btw I will agree that Hatou is preferrable for fast wing breaks so long as Quartz isn't moving too much. I usually follow with a Shunka to the tail, and KF his nose off. He's basically dead by then.

Chdata
Mar 19, 2014, 11:08 AM
If you're weak or undergeared just ask a friend to join you.

GALEFORCE
Mar 19, 2014, 06:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOHUPt-_Ew

Here's a better video. Not sure if it'll help OP, but it didn't really require as much twitch gameplay as the first one, and I didn't mess it up. At some point it comes down to Quartz's pattern RNG. If he decides to be a pain in the butt, he's gonna take longer to kill (moves his nose non-stop, etc.). Once you pop the nose though, it's elementary.

I'm just trying to dispel the notion that somehow Shunka is inefficient. Whenever something OP appears, there'll always be hipsters saying it's overused. Shunka's use is warranted, and that's all I wanted to show. I honestly could do with learning 2 hatou more, but I haven't played braver in a few months, and hatou's range is something you really need to internalize.

Chdata
Mar 19, 2014, 07:50 PM
Sacrificing twitch gameplay for twitchy recording? xD

Quartz dodging is pretty simple if you get the patterns down. As soon as you see him about to dash across the screen, there's a specific way he aims it. If you're running left, he'll lead his target further to where you'll be running too. As soon as you see him begin that, change directions.

The thing that'll probably kill you the most is when he shoots the fast hitting crystal lazers all around his body. Whenever you see him stop and see those sparkles appear there, get the hell away. He's either doing that or using the homing ones so for both all you need to do is run backwards away from him and remember not to stop. Hope that you can cancel whatever PA you are using.

GALEFORCE
Mar 19, 2014, 08:01 PM
^ Unless you're a braver. You can just godmode it and it ends up being a free nose stomping. The homing crystals do give you a small opening to attack which I demonstrated. If you have shunka ready before he releases them, it's enough to get off a full shunka. If not, you can dodge cancel after a few hits.

Recording looks fine to me after the first few seconds.. I'm still new to this encoding business though. Perhaps my PC is just a little too weak to be recording at max settings.

SakoHaruo
Mar 19, 2014, 08:38 PM
I'm surprise people are still having trouble with bosses and tryhards are still writing up in depth guides on the easiest boss battles in the history of gaming.

Chdata
Mar 19, 2014, 08:41 PM
Yeah now that I think of it, if you have access to SHUNKA, can you even really be considered "undergeared"?

hohoho!

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 19, 2014, 09:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOHUPt-_Ew

Here's a better video. Not sure if it'll help OP, but it didn't really require as much twitch gameplay as the first one, and I didn't mess it up. At some point it comes down to Quartz's pattern RNG. If he decides to be a pain in the butt, he's gonna take longer to kill (moves his nose non-stop, etc.). Once you pop the nose though, it's elementary.

I'm just trying to dispel the notion that somehow Shunka is inefficient. Whenever something OP appears, there'll always be hipsters saying it's overused. Shunka's use is warranted, and that's all I wanted to show. I honestly could do with learning 2 hatou more, but I haven't played braver in a few months, and hatou's range is something you really need to internalize.

Well I don't mean to be a hipster, but it's a bit of a problem if the OP can't comfortably fight something without shunka, and combat escape to eliminate the risk of shunka against something hitstun-proof with arguably the most OP weapon type in the game next to rifles (WB), and TMGs. Sometimes that means not using shunka. OP? Most say yes. Efficient? Undeniably. Does it answer every situation, and make all other katana PAs redundant? No.

To me, if there is a better method to dealing with one or more enemies than using shunka, but someone opts to use shunka anyway, that's when I call it 'overused'. Not simply because someone uses it 90% of the time.

Shinamori
Mar 21, 2014, 09:59 AM
What about for using Force?

milranduil
Mar 21, 2014, 11:24 AM
Namegid nose, namegid nose, namegid nose. Okay, he should be dead.

GALEFORCE
Mar 21, 2014, 02:54 PM
Quartz makes me wish dark had another viable dark tech. Preferably a dark version of grants so you can inflict poison easier.

Inazuma
Mar 21, 2014, 04:34 PM
Quartz makes me wish dark had another viable dark tech. Preferably a dark version of grants so you can inflict poison easier.

Irumegido looks pretty strong from the Sega update video. Let's hope it is worth using uncharged. Irufoie is better uncharged, even though every other fire tech is better charged, so there is a decent chance of it.

Shinamori
Mar 23, 2014, 11:54 AM
I managed to beat him by hatou'ing the nose. I let to charge towards me, I parried it, used KC and hatou his nose till it broke, then I SS'd his nose, hatou'd it again, it got poison'd, then SS his nose and he died.

Meireles
Mar 23, 2014, 01:22 PM
I can do the same thing as all you bravers with a catadranser wired lance and heavenly fall as a hu/fi.

SakoHaruo
Mar 23, 2014, 03:55 PM
I can do the same thing as all you bravers with a catadranser wired lance and heavenly fall as a hu/fi.

footage or gtfo.

and you better kill it in the same time or faster than a braver o3o

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 23, 2014, 04:56 PM

I heard you like them hitboxes.

pkemr4
Mar 23, 2014, 04:57 PM
whats the best way to kill him as Gu/Hu without getting hit? ive tried messiah timing the nose but he still manages to hit me at times.

GALEFORCE
Mar 23, 2014, 05:43 PM
whats the best way to kill him as Gu/Hu without getting hit? ive tried messiah timing the nose but he still manages to hit me at times.

Have a poison TMG and just lock onto the nose and IF. Once the nose is broken you can stunlock it with more poison IF (make sure you're up close for ZRA here). Note that the crystal missiles he launches at first will be strafe-able, but once he's enraged, you will have to run at full speed to avoid them. If you're strong enough, it shouldn't take you that long to bring him down though. Also keep in mind that IF gets less accurate if you're moving around, so try to stand still whenever possible to make sure the shots land on the nose.

Alternatively, if you have a GM, just hug the body and messiah all over it.

Chdata
Mar 23, 2014, 09:56 PM
Just stay in the air and switch between elder rebellion and messiah time depending on how close you are.

Use dead approach to get closer to messiah time more often.

Flip away when he does the lazer rain.

Meireles
Mar 26, 2014, 08:31 AM
I heard you like them hitboxes.

I'm confused what you mean by this. Hu is always better without locking on. In every situation.
As far as footage, I'm working on it. It's already been done though, take a look at this outdated video: Click Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT6vlzEMHbU)
These days a minute could easily be shaved off the timer there.