PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Mobile: Playing from US.

BenekeSmith
Mar 28, 2014, 05:29 PM
Is there any information regarding the type of phone required to play pso2 mobile? Im upgrading my phone in 2-3 days, (Getting Xperia Z1s) but I'm not sure if there is a certain type of phone (read: does it have to be a japanese phone?) to run the game. Im assuming I would have to create a japanese google play account? I currently have an iPhone, so I am ignorant of how the android store works.

Shadowth117
Mar 28, 2014, 05:33 PM
It should work on Android as well as IOS.

Daiyousei
Mar 28, 2014, 05:36 PM
You don't have to create a japanese google play account, you just need the installer apk, there's a thread here somewhere I'm trying to find that has instructions, the thread was about the CBT of the android version.

Takatsuki
Mar 28, 2014, 05:38 PM
Phones are not legitimate gaming devices. Play it on PC or don't play at all.

Friyn
Mar 28, 2014, 05:45 PM

Gotta go with this.

Chdata
Mar 28, 2014, 05:50 PM
Next we'll be playing it on our mouse.

A screen on our mouse.

We already do have phone on our mouse.

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/uLOb5yB.png[/spoiler-box]

infiniteeverlasting
Mar 28, 2014, 05:57 PM
i would bitch slap anyone in my MPA who is TD-ing on their phones.

Chdata
Mar 28, 2014, 05:59 PM
y'know how much work it probably is to make this game compatible with a phone?

For all the time and money they spent doing that, they could have been improving the game ;v

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2014, 06:02 PM

Gotta go with this.

i would bitch slap anyone in my MPA who is TD-ing on their phones.

I hope you guys realize the mobile version is basically a completely different game. ._.

Macman
Mar 28, 2014, 06:54 PM
I hope you guys realize the mobile version is basically a completely different game. ._.
Exactly this. I would use it to grab daily FUN/XQ passes and mag feed, but supposedly the character you use in PSO2es is entirely different from the one you use on PC/Vita.

Aussei
Mar 28, 2014, 07:06 PM

Give it a bit more and you will start seeing games being played on Android phones just like any other gaming system. :) That is the direction this world is headed. I anticipate that.

Also some people are aware it's a different game separate from your account or whatever and still want to play it whatever it is. :) I'm one of those people.

Shadowth117
Mar 28, 2014, 07:12 PM

This, for those of you who are more ignorant on what PSO2 ES is...

GALEFORCE
Mar 28, 2014, 07:13 PM
The beta wasn't separate from your account, but it also doesn't participate directly with the PC/Vita game. I'm guessing it's gonna be akin to a sidegame you play when you can't log into PSO2 proper. I'm hoping you can still do shop stuff, feed mag, etc.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2014, 07:17 PM
The beta wasn't separate from your account, but it also doesn't participate directly with the PC/Vita game. I'm guessing it's gonna be akin to a sidegame you play when you can't log into PSO2 proper. I'm hoping you can still do shop stuff, feed mag, etc.
It's connected in the same way Pokewalker was to HG/SS. There are ways to benifit your main game but it's not like playing on the Vita or something.

EDIT: Here we go. This (http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-es-smartphone-version-guide/) should give an idea what the gameplay for the smartphone version is like for those who don't know.

Yden
Mar 28, 2014, 07:36 PM
I wonder if it will be possible to get it running on an android emulator.

Takatsuki
Mar 28, 2014, 08:28 PM
Give it a bit more and you will start seeing games being played on Android phones just like any other gaming system. :) That is the direction this world is headed. I anticipate that.

Also some people are aware it's a different game separate from your account or whatever and still want to play it whatever it is. :) I'm one of those people.

And a dark direction it is.

People who play "games" on phones are casual scum.

Aussei
Mar 28, 2014, 09:04 PM

Playing games on phones is not for everybody. I can dig that. I didn't like it really at first either.

Also the game looks pretty fun from what I read in the PSO2 Blog! I don't know why I didn't look there in the first place.

Ratazana
Mar 28, 2014, 09:13 PM

How about vita players?

gigawuts
Mar 28, 2014, 09:14 PM

welp, time to bounce from this thread

edit: just kidding, that was the first post I read in this thread and I read some more on my way to the top of the page, oh good lord

Aresylus
Mar 28, 2014, 09:17 PM
Lol, sounds like some people are afraid of some innovation. A game is a game is a game, platform is irrelevant when the purpose is to have fun. Personally, I anticipate it even more-so if it does tie in, however miniscule, to PSO2. Dat immersion ;D

Ratazana
Mar 28, 2014, 09:20 PM
I dunno, innovation gave us F2P PS2.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next PS (if we get it) turns out to be standard mobile fremium.

Tenlade
Mar 28, 2014, 10:17 PM
I dunno, innovation gave us F2P PS2.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next PS (if we get it) turns out to be standard mobile fremium.

The mobile version is essentually a different game set with the same assets, so this is true already (its going to have some limited of number of free runs per day or somehting?)

mctastee
Mar 28, 2014, 10:33 PM

You have very strong, heavy-handed opinions.

Friyn
Mar 28, 2014, 10:48 PM

Amen, brother.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2014, 10:51 PM
So like... is anyone gonna answer the OPs question...? Cause I don't know anything about smartphones.

yoshiblue
Mar 28, 2014, 11:10 PM
I don't have T-mobile so I wouldn't know what phones they have or would suggest or what they even have to offer. Guess I could check their site. The Z1 would seem to be okay since the site recommended the XPERIA AX, A and Z.

Tenlade
Mar 28, 2014, 11:11 PM
It just has to run iOS or android, and have the specs to render it. the Xperia Z1s runs on android , so it will be compatable. Any information on exactly installing it will most likely come out once the full version does.

yoshiblue
Mar 28, 2014, 11:14 PM
Ah, I couldn't even find where to download it. Then again, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

GALEFORCE
Mar 28, 2014, 11:21 PM
I ran the beta (terribly) on my Thunderbolt, which was like a 3 year old phone at the time. I'm sure a newer phone like xperia z1 or galaxy s4 can handle it well. As stated, you don't need Japanese region or anything of the sort to play it. You just need to download the all and install it.

I will say I largely agree with mobile games being cancer on the gaming industry, but I don't mind a companion app to pso2.

Tenlade
Mar 28, 2014, 11:41 PM
My Galaxy S2 I got 2 years ago ran the beta just fine, anything newer then that should obviously be fine too.

And as much as people hate mobile gaming, console and handheld gaming are starting to die out. Sales of game systems and pc are down, getting replaced with phones and tablets."hardcore" games may very well become a niche in the near future with everything else integrating with mobile.Love it or hate it, mobile and "casual" gaming looks to be becoming the future barring some amazing innovation.

Inazuma
Mar 28, 2014, 11:55 PM
As someone who loves video games, it is really terrible to see how quickly the mobile gaming industry has grown. I do my part to not support any of that bullshit, but for every person like me, there are 100 casual gamers who have no idea they are doing more harm than good to video games overall.

I was in a doctor's waiting room a few weeks ago. I played Picross 2 (original Game Boy game) on my GBA SP.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2014, 11:56 PM
So uhhh... what exactly do "casual" games do to harm the game industry? ._.

.Jack
Mar 29, 2014, 12:01 AM
My Galaxy S2 I got 2 years ago ran the beta just fine, anything newer then that should obviously be fine too.

And as much as people hate mobile gaming, console and handheld gaming are starting to die out. Sales of game systems and pc are down, getting replaced with phones and tablets."hardcore" games may very well become a niche in the near future with everything else integrating with mobile.Love it or hate it, mobile and "casual" gaming looks to be becoming the future barring some amazing innovation.

Yes. With phones becoming better at handling computing capabilities each year it won't really matter later on what you use as long as it can run it. It's getting there:

http://i.imgur.com/gKWw01q.png

Ratazana
Mar 29, 2014, 12:06 AM
So uhhh... what exactly do "casual" games do to harm the game industry? ._.

game industry ≠ video games overall

Kondibon
Mar 29, 2014, 12:12 AM
game industry ≠ video games overall

Ok, fine. How do casual games negativly effect other games?

EDIT: This isn't sarcasm or rhetoric by the way. I'm genuinely curious.

Z-0
Mar 29, 2014, 12:16 AM
The casual market will be what developers want to cash on.

For the hardcore gamer (or just gamer in general, really), this is a bad thing, as what keeps them playing video games is being thrown out the window for quick cash grabs. There's less focus on the "game" itself, and rather what will make money. While money was always the aim regardless, people are starting to find out some people will pay for the silliest stuff.

Inazuma
Mar 29, 2014, 12:28 AM
There is a game development studio. They are trying to decide what game to make. One person suggests making a really good game that is very fun. Another person suggests making a shitty mobile game.

They end up going with the shitty mobile game because it costs less money to make and they will make more money from it.

But that's not all. Not only are they making a shitty game, but you won't be able to own it, and it will be "pay to win". Despite these being negative things, the gaming company makes more money if they do it.

PSO2 is not perfect either. You can't own PSO2 and it has many pay to win aspects as well. PSO2 is a worse game than it could have been, because this is the direction the game industry is going nowadays. The days of making a high quality complete game that you can own are pretty much completely behind us. Not even Nintendo is an exception to this anymore, which is why I stopped buying 3DS games and didn't buy a Wii U.

Besides PSO2, I don't support any other modern games. I buy and play retro games. There was recently a new Super Nintendo game released called Nightmare Busters. I bought that because I like to support that sort of thing.

Kondibon
Mar 29, 2014, 12:34 AM
It's been like that ever since video games started pushing into the mainstream. Hell it's like that when ANYTHING pushes into the mainstream.

There is a game development studio. They are trying to decide what game to make. One person suggests making a really good game that is very fun. Another person suggests making a shitty mobile game.

They end up going with the shitty mobile game because it costs less money to make and they will make more money from it.
This just means that the companies that rely on "shitty mobile games" won't be making other games. Think about it? If they willing to make a crappy game, then whatever they tried to do with a consol game would have been just as bad. It has nothing to do with smartphone games. If anything this is going to drive the shitty moneygrab games away from the "good" games. This partly why I'm so excited for the direction indie game development is going.

Tenlade
Mar 29, 2014, 01:03 AM
PSO2 is not perfect either. You can't own PSO2 and it has many pay to win aspects as well. PSO2 is a worse game than it could have been, because this is the direction the game industry is going nowadays. The days of making a high quality complete game that you can own are pretty much completely behind us. Not even Nintendo is an exception to this anymore, which is why I stopped buying 3DS games and didn't buy a Wii U.

Spoilers, but you've never owned a game in your life. all software is legally defined as giving you the "license" to use it, and the day it's service dies you lose all yours stuff with no right to recover it (youd think people would learn that from ya know, the pso1 and psu servers shutting down).

Takatsuki
Mar 29, 2014, 01:04 AM
It's been like that ever since video games started pushing into the mainstream. Hell it's like that when ANYTHING pushes into the mainstream.

This just means that the companies that rely on "shitty mobile games" won't be making other games. Think about it? If they willing to make a crappy game, then whatever they tried to do with a consol game would have been just as bad. It has nothing to do with smartphone games. If anything this is going to drive the shitty moneygrab games away from the "good" games. This partly why I'm so excited for the direction indie game development is going.

No, they'll just keep making shitty mobile games that try and trick the user into paying a bunch of money for basic gaming functions like being able to play the next level or recharge their life meter.

This is the problem. It isn't just that the games are shitty (which they are), it's that they are a big fat scam. And the worst part is that the younger generation is beginning to think this is the way it's supposed to be. I tried to explain to some young neighbor kids a while back what it was like playing games even just 10-15 years ago, and it was like I was speaking French to them.

They didn't understand the idea that you could buy a game and immediately have all the content available to you (provided that you were skilled enough to unlock it) that is on the disc, instead of being expected to pay extra for content you already bought by buying the game disc. They asked me how they handled DLC with slow internet, and I told them that there was no DLC. The only comparison was Expansion Packs and those were usually released FAR after the game came out. What was most alien to them was that they kept wondering "How do you get more content for your game?" and they just... couldn't grasp that you got all the content for the game when you bought it. The industry has tricked these kids, and many more, into thinking that this kind of crap is how it's supposed to be.

And it's not. It's deceptive, it's greedy and it's disgusting, and anyone who supports this kind of crap should be ashamed. At least PSO2 can be played just fine without paying a cent and is free to begin with, but there's games where they charge you $60 up front and then expect you to throw down an additional $50 on "additional content" that's on the god damn game disc.

As for the mobile games themselves, they're even worse, because many of them just outright will not let you progress or give you even a remote chance of success unless you throw down a bunch of real money. It's ridiculous. Insane even.

Ratazana
Mar 29, 2014, 01:19 AM

Except some people that used to make real games will choose the most lucrative option. Most big companies are going that way. Even nintendo is slipping p2w content into their games.

Casuals are not to blame, they are just being good consumers. But it's their failure (some might say stupidity) to realize that they are getting ripped off that allows companies to get away with ridiculous monetization schemes.

Kondibon
Mar 29, 2014, 01:23 AM
No, they'll just keep making shitty mobile games that try and trick the user into paying a bunch of money for basic gaming functions like being able to play the next level or recharge their life meter.

This is the problem. It isn't just that the games are shitty (which they are), it's that they are a big fat scam. And the worst part is that the younger generation is beginning to think this is the way it's supposed to be. I tried to explain to some young neighbor kids a while back what it was like playing games even just 10-15 years ago, and it was like I was speaking French to them.

They didn't understand the idea that you could buy a game and immediately have all the content available to you (provided that you were skilled enough to unlock it) that is on the disc, instead of being expected to pay extra for content you already bought by buying the game disc. They asked me how they handled DLC with slow internet, and I told them that there was no DLC. The only comparison was Expansion Packs and those were usually released FAR after the game came out. What was most alien to them was that they kept wondering "How do you get more content for your game?" and they just... couldn't grasp that you got all the content for the game when you bought it. The industry has tricked these kids, and many more, into thinking that this kind of crap is how it's supposed to be.

And it's not. It's deceptive, it's greedy and it's disgusting, and anyone who supports this kind of crap should be ashamed. At least PSO2 can be played just fine without paying a cent and is free to begin with, but there's games where they charge you $60 up front and then expect you to throw down an additional $50 on "additional content" that's on the god damn game disc.

As for the mobile games themselves, they're even worse, because many of them just outright will not let you progress or give you even a remote chance of success unless you throw down a bunch of real money. It's ridiculous. Insane even.
I just don't like seeing people discredit an entire platform because of some bad business practices. If you wanna call out games taking advantage of it, go ahead. But if you completely ignore when a good game DOES come, then you're just going to ensure that it doesn't happen again. They pay attention to what people DO buy, not what they don't.

Also, none of what you said has anything to do with mobile gaming. That kinda shit has been going on since mmos where new and sub-fees were the norm. I know the kind of stuff you're talking about but it being there isn't going to detract from good games, anymore than bad cash grab movies, stopped good movies from coming out. It's just sturgeon's revelation rearing it's ugly head.

Be a smart consumer, but don't get overzealous either.

Except some people that used to make real games will choose the most lucrative option.Then move on, because they aren't worth your time. Pay attention to the movement of people within the companies not the companies them selves, because a lot of the time, the good people are still making the kind of stuff you love, they just moved and the company they used to work for is making shit under their old name. Then there's the fact that indie developers are picking up more and more steam (hurhur), and often times, not having some money grubbing businessman looming over their heads leads to them making games they love instead of games they know will make money. The problem is that, through being more accessible, or having a big name behind them, crappy games make it into the mainstream easier and thus people notice them more.

Casuals are not to blame, they are just being good consumers. But it's their failure (some might say stupidity) to realize that they are getting ripped off that allows companies to get away with ridiculous monetization schemes.That's the definition of being a poor consumer as far as I'm concerned. A good consumer recognizes when they're being taken advantage of. Whether or not they do anything about it though...

EDIT: For the record, I don't dissagree with either of you on principal. I just think the problem is being blown out of proportion because it's more visible now, and the wrong things are being targeted.

Inazuma
Mar 29, 2014, 01:30 AM
Spoilers, but you've never owned a game in your life. all software is legally defined as giving you the "license" to use it, and the day it's service dies you lose all yours stuff with no right to recover it (youd think people would learn that from ya know, the pso1 and psu servers shutting down).

My shelves filled with retro games disagree with you. From the Famicom to the Wii, I have a ton of old games in physical form that I legally own. They still work to this day, and I have the right to sell them if I want.

What you are describing is the problem with most modern games. You are right that you don't own them. Just like we don't own PSO2. It is an online only game, and when Sega pulls the plug, it no longer exists.

Tenlade
Mar 29, 2014, 01:40 AM
^^no you still own the license, but someone could explain this better then I can.

They asked me how they handled DLC with slow internet, and I told them that there was no DLC. The only comparison was Expansion Packs and those were usually released FAR after the game came out.

In the late 90's we called it expansion packs, in the early 90's we called it shareware. In the early 90's/late 80's we call it changing the levels, adding 1 or 2 things, and selling it full price as a new game. In the early 80's it was called "insert coin to continue".In the early 80's , releasing shitty half assed games to cash in was called "E.T. For the Atari"

This stuff has always existed, it just comes around in different forms as time goes on. They aren't always inherently bad (except the half asssed games thing), but the bad examples have always been around trying to milk as much money out of you as they can get.

Kondibon
Mar 29, 2014, 01:45 AM
^^no you still own the license, but someone could explain this better then I can.

In the late 90's we called it expansion packs, in the early 90's we called it shareware. In the early 90's/late 80's we call it changing the levels, adding 1 or 2 things, and selling it full price as a new game. In the early 80's it was called "insert coin to continue".In the early 80's , releasing shitty half assed games to cash in was called "E.T. For the Atari"

This stuff has always existed, it just comes around in different forms as time goes on. They aren't always inherently bad (except the half asssed games thing), but the bad examples have always been around trying to milk as much money out of you as they can get.I wish I had thought of these examples, would have helped me explain what I meant better. I'm so short sighted.

Aine
Mar 29, 2014, 01:47 AM
mobile gaming is the future

Akakomuma
Mar 29, 2014, 01:56 AM
I'm a troo gamer cause I'll be playing this on my Nvidia Shield.

Kondibon
Mar 29, 2014, 01:58 AM
THE FUTURE! (http://blog.modernmechanix.com/what-will-life-be-like-in-the-year-2008/)

Ratazana
Mar 29, 2014, 02:13 AM
That's the definition of being a poor consumer as far as I'm concerned. A good consumer recognizes when they're being taken advantage of. Whether or not they do anything about it though...

EDIT: For the record, I don't dissagree with either of you on principal. I just think the problem is being blown out of proportion because it's more visible now, and the wrong things are being targeted.

Good consumer as far as they are concerned. Your definition of good consumer is a small slice in the pie. I agree with you that there are good indie games out there but I've seem plenty failing because they didn't reach for people's wallet.

The majority of people will play along allowing those practices. Personally I don't blame casuals because I believe everyone is stupid by default. Few of yours "good consumers" might think anyone stupid enough to play along deserves their hate.

Just like politics. Americans taxes and indifference allowed the administration to spend 5b to destabilize Ukraine so some people might hold 'em responsible for the current mess that hopefully won't end in human extinction.

Inazuma
Mar 29, 2014, 02:28 AM

The Famicom cartridges that I own are mine, and I have complete control over them. Nintendo has absolutely no legal right to restrict my use of them in any form. It's no different than if I had bought a coffee mug. The company that made the coffee mug and the store that sold the coffee mug lost all rights to control or restrict my use of the coffee mug the moment that I bought it.

Takatsuki
Mar 29, 2014, 02:36 AM
The Famicom cartridges that I own are mine, and I have complete control over them. Nintendo has absolutely no legal right to restrict my use of them in any form. It's no different than if I had bought a coffee mug. The company that made the coffee mug and the store that sold the coffee mug lost all rights to control or restrict my use of the coffee mug the moment that I bought it.

What he said.

Saying that you don't own full rights to use the entirety of the product you bought is just being a corporate apologist.

Chdata
Mar 29, 2014, 03:21 AM
Let's say for example, you buy a Super Mario World cartridge.

Does this give you free reign to use all the content within however you want? Can I just buy this game, reverse engineer it, and start selling my own Mario games for profit?

Good luck in court.

But it does give you free reign to reverse engineer the game, hack, modify it, etc. Of course, with online multiplayer games, there are usually further restrictions like a ToS.

I see this happen even in private server hosting of online games. Look at Team Fortress 2 and communities literally based on abusing the system and promoting P2W. I know of a guy who lives off of running TF2 servers as P2W crap. He even offers "Pay to be an admin" on his servers and more recently changed to "We'll pay you to afk in our servers at night to increase our quickplay rating" - because he profits if more people are directed to his servers and his traffic increases. Quickplay is a feature where players can quickly be put into a match, but server operators are not supposed to impact gameplay if they want to put a server in this. Yet there's communities who can code around the way they detect these things against their ToS and it's hard for a large company to detect and take action on smaller communities.

Meanwhile a really good game like Strike Vector comes out, and well... I can sympathize with STAR_. The game doesn't have P2W at all, but there's only like 10 people playing a day. Not to mention, it's very unfriendly to the casual player as the learning curve to even start playing it normally is difficult and can be frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YxqNo0mCa0

Laxedrane
Mar 29, 2014, 05:25 AM
There general fear that casual games will outshine hardcore games I think is a silly one at this point. It's a simple number games, Yes casual games have the potential to net way more cash then hardcore games but when you think about it..

WHen's the last time you heard something outshining the Angry Birds franchise? Candy Crush? When the last time you heard something be more viral then Bejeweled?

Floppy birds a couple of monthes ago? How about before that?

Now name the last break out hit in the "hardcore" series. Those games come out monthly and sometimes weekly depending on the time of year. Several titles score a couple mil net and a couple break even that.

So yeah Angry birds making 10s maybe 100 million of dollars and that's enticing to developers. But you count how many casual games just don't even make a blip on the radar. Then you think about how much a break out franchise will sell on name alone every 1-2 years in hardcore. That crap adds up. 3-5 mil every couple months still 3-5 mil.(I know it takes longer to make a video game then every couple of months but that's how often a publisher like let's say capcom puts out a title.) And there not gonna let that potential cash go just becuase it's not the most they "could" be making in lue of a mobile game that they have better odds of going to vegas and putting 3 mil on a roulette.

Rehal
Mar 29, 2014, 05:36 AM
Meanwhile a really good game like Strike Vector comes out, and well... I can sympathize with STAR_. The game doesn't have P2W at all, but there's only like 10 people playing a day. Not to mention, it's very unfriendly to the casual player as the learning curve to even start playing it normally is difficult and can be frustrating.

I'd play the heck out of that game even if it have P2W contents. Only if that game were a MMO like Ace Online/Air Rivals instead of an arena versus match.

Chdata
Mar 29, 2014, 06:53 AM
It'd be funny to see an MMO with a huge enough world that you travel by jet, and even a jet "wilderness" you can PVP in.

Tenlade
Mar 29, 2014, 10:01 AM
apparently "^ ^" turns into an emote, did not know that. Now my post feels like a smug jerk going "^_^ guess again!"...

What he said.

Saying that you don't own full rights to use the entirety of the product you bought is just being a corporate apologist.

Its also a fact. Having the license to use it means you can make a copy for your own personal use legally, but you cant share it. It being a licence means they can also restrict how you use the software. this really didn't come up in old cartridge games, but its pretty much the basis for DRM in modern games being able to restrict how you use it. This is as researched as I am into it, so ill have to stop here, as I'm not sure of any specifics past that.

It'd be funny to see an MMO with a huge enough world that you travel by jet, and even a jet "wilderness" you can PVP in.
Any mmo set in space seems to be like this, since you can just pick any open place between planets and start shooting lasers at each other.

Akakomuma
Mar 29, 2014, 10:27 AM
I wonder if it'll be possible to buy arks cash via the playstore with this. Would be amazing.

Zysets
Mar 29, 2014, 11:20 AM
Just a FYI - We'll (most likely) be putting up an unofficial english version of the Android PSO2 App (if possible), including tutorials for installing it and all that jazz~

BETTER START ROOTING DEM PHONES

I don't know if I necessarily want to root my phone, would this unofficial version be a modified APK file, or would it require a separate application, similar to the tweaker on PC? Kind of like those alternate launchers for the mobile version of minecraft. Apparently I have a few apps that aren't so fond of rooted phones, such as LINE.

Yeah I know it's a bit too early to really ask these questions, just thought I'd bring it up.

Akaimizu
Mar 29, 2014, 11:39 AM
Except some people that used to make real games will choose the most lucrative option. Most big companies are going that way. Even nintendo is slipping p2w content into their games.

Casuals are not to blame, they are just being good consumers. But it's their failure (some might say stupidity) to realize that they are getting ripped off that allows companies to get away with ridiculous monetization schemes.

It seems to be going that way, but to be fair the only evidence of Nintendo ever doing anything like that was Fire Emblem, and even then, that in itself is even a stretch since one of the main usable aspects for aiding in gold was given out free for a limited time, and it also added new randomized scenarios. They were more fun expansion packs to add new special missions to the game, that you actually play to earn, as opposed to giving you nothing but instant *bought* resource or items.

And even that was followed up by a number of 3DS releases with consistently expanding content, for free.

They still don't believe in any of those p2w systems, for the most part. At least, not in the way of making it adversely affect gameplay where you're locked into too slow a timer for something necessary pushing the player to purchase. When Bravely default was mentioned, people thought SquareSoft was going to do another one of their schemes (like another game with Brave in the title), but when people found out how that all gains in the game can be obtained easily and in timely fashion (through regular paced gameplay, like it used to be), they let it slide because it's easily ignored and not thrown in your face.

What's happening now is them toying with the idea of pricing expansions, or more like mini expansions for a couple bucks here and there. But I'd hardly call, paying for expansions a p2w scenario. You actually get real timely gameplay with those.

Tenlade
Mar 29, 2014, 01:00 PM
It seems to be going that way, but to be fair the only evidence of Nintendo ever doing anything like that was Fire Emblem, and even then, that in itself is even a stretch since one of the main usable aspects for aiding in gold was given out free for a limited time, and it also added new randomized scenarios. They were more fun expansion packs to add new special missions to the game, that you actually play to earn, as opposed to giving you nothing but instant *bought* resource or items.

Pokemon bank is pretty much charging you 5 bucks to get all your pokemon from previous games, with all the now otherwise unobtainable tutor movesets and such. This is especially terrible since you could do it for free previous generations.

GALEFORCE
Mar 29, 2014, 02:35 PM
That's because there's no other way to connect 3ds to DS. It costs money to keep up the servers. 6 dollars a year is hardly ripping you off. Gamefreak explicitly rejected the P2W and DLC business model.

Akaimizu
Mar 29, 2014, 03:08 PM
Pokemon bank is pretty much charging you 5 bucks to get all your pokemon from previous games, with all the now otherwise unobtainable tutor movesets and such. This is especially terrible since you could do it for free previous generations.

It is a complete conversion going from one platform to another. They did entirely change the engine. True, it has a cost, if you are late to the game. But Pokemon Bank is still currently free to players who started when it released. Unless you decided to not get X/Y until late, you really are only paying for continual cloud server backup storage of many Pokemon, going forward. That's why it's only a very small cost for the whole year, not per month. (The only people using that would be the competitive scene if you keep hundreds or thousands of Pokemon between your previous games, and you want them all cloud stored so you can swap them into this game). However, you have been given many days to transfer all of them to the new game, for free. I already transferred my Pokemon over. Not an extra cent was paid to do it. Mainly because I didn't have a lot of Pokemon to transfer in. I uploaded it to the bank and downloaded straight to my Pokemon Y PC Storage, where I can access them.

metatime
Mar 29, 2014, 04:48 PM

Nope if you try to put a public display especially for money than yes they do have control and have the legal rights to have you stopped.

metatime
Mar 29, 2014, 04:49 PM

Wow tons of prejudice and hate, glad mobile games are becoming popular.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2014, 04:56 PM
It's really entertaining watching the same shit repeat every so often.

First it was PC players shitting all over console gamers, and now the console gamers are grown up and perpetuating the cycle of hate :wacko:

not to imply they weren't doing plenty of hating already

Takatsuki
Mar 29, 2014, 05:35 PM
Nope if you try to put a public display especially for money than yes they do have control and have the legal rights to have you stopped.

Quit being a loser corporate apologist.

Anything you purchase is yours to use as you see fit. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're a moron.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2014, 05:36 PM
Sure, you can do whatever you want with it.

You just can't necessarily access their servers ever again, because the servers aren't yours.

Science!

Takatsuki
Mar 29, 2014, 05:43 PM
Sure, you can do whatever you want with it.

You just can't necessarily access their servers ever again, because the servers aren't yours.

Science!

While that may be true, I was referring to general products.

For example, when I buy a game disc, if a company tells me I have to pay them more money to "unlock additional content", they can fuck right off, because I already paid for the ENTIRE PRODUCT when I bought the game.

Do you not think it would be ridiculous if you went to a store and bought a Fork and it came with a license pamphlet that told you that you were only permitted to use your new Fork with salads and pastas, but using it to pierce any form of meat was strictly prohibited unless you purchased an additional license for $5?

It's the same concept. I bought the product. I bought ALL the product, not what they say I'm "allowed" to use.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2014, 05:46 PM
While that may be true, I was referring to general products.

For example, when I buy a game disc, if a company tells me I have to pay them more money to "unlock additional content", they can fuck right off, because I already paid for the ENTIRE PRODUCT when I bought the game.

Do you not think it would be ridiculous if you went to a store and bought a Fork and it came with a license pamphlet that told you that you were only permitted to use your new Fork with salads and pastas, but using it to pierce any form of meat was strictly prohibited unless you purchased an additional license for $5?

It's the same concept. I bought the product. I bought ALL the product, not what they say I'm "allowed" to use.

I don't disagree with the principle of what you're saying, at all. I'm there 100%.

Just, legally, not so much. You're not buying what's on the disc - you're buying the disc itself, and a license to access the data on the disc.

It's kind of like going to a bar and buying a drink. You don't own the mug. You can be kicked out of the bar. You just own the beverage, and they're allowing you to drink it on the premises.

It sucks, and they've got us by the balls, but...actually there is no but, that's the whole thing.

Tenlade
Mar 29, 2014, 06:27 PM
Unless you decided to not get X/Y until late, you really are only paying for continual cloud server backup storage of many Pokemon, going forward. That's why it's only a very small cost for the whole year, not per month.

"It's your fault because you're late" is a pretty self-centered excuse. Maybe I want my shiny pokemon from the last game? Or maybe I want to transfer my pokemon from dream radar to X/y. Its something special that to transfer data from one 3ds game on an sd car to another 3ds game on a sd card, you need to buy a ds game transfer it to that game ds game, then buy a subscription to cloud storage,Download yet another app from within the last app, then then use that app then back to my sd card. Instead of ya know, just updating dream radar to transfer to the new game.

No matter how terrible a lot of p2w shit is or absurd things like pso2 having a premium subscription in addition to a f2p model, It will never be as utterly backwards/greedy as the dumb stuff Nintendo is doing now.

Akaimizu
Mar 29, 2014, 11:57 PM
"It's your fault because you're late" is a pretty self-centered excuse. Maybe I want my shiny pokemon from the last game? Or maybe I want to transfer my pokemon from dream radar to X/y. Its something special that to transfer data from one 3ds game on an sd car to another 3ds game on a sd card, you need to buy a ds game transfer it to that game ds game, then buy a subscription to cloud storage,Download yet another app from within the last app, then then use that app then back to my sd card. Instead of ya know, just updating dream radar to transfer to the new game.

No matter how terrible a lot of p2w shit is or absurd things like pso2 having a premium subscription in addition to a f2p model, It will never be as utterly backwards/greedy as the dumb stuff Nintendo is doing now.

That's your opinion, fine. But I don't really see it that way. They made it very clear about the transfer, advertised the offer. They were very good at letting anybody remotely interested in Pokemon, about it. So they have every chance that if they want to transfer from the last actual traditional Pokemon games, to the new one, they have a way to do it completely free of charge.

Sure, the transfer isn't as simple as it could, but it does work as a good precaution against data hacking, which a local-only transfer introduces; but to call Nintendo especially greedy seems really odd given that so much of rest of the industry is doing way worse. I mean, just go on Youtube and every month it is this and that about greedy game company practices, and all of them are far far worse. The main ones doing any better are small companies, but just pick a big company at random, these days, and they're *forcing* you to buy the rest of the game they have ready at launch, because your dollars are only buying parts of the game. Or forcing the whole mobile freemium model, which is basically ways to make the game less fun (slow things down) with constant pressure and reminders to buy this with real money, within the game, so you can play it either at the speed it was meant, or so you can automatically beat the game with money.

This is that Mobile market nonsense that many companies are trying to *push* as the future of gaming, and it's infiltrating so many places. And they certainly aren't going to be as *kind* to give you the whole game experience, with just what you paid to buy the game. Not until consumers rebel against it enough. The race to the bottom is not sustainable. It's a trick to get people paying more for the same stuff, than what we used to with just a premium game purchase. If I was to choose between that and what Nintendo is serving, I'd pick Nintendo any time.

Akakomuma
Mar 30, 2014, 01:05 AM
Nintendo has been off the ball since the Wii.

Akaimizu
Mar 30, 2014, 05:51 AM
That's not the point. It's is not about whether any company is having issues or not. This topic isn't about company advocacy or anything. Whether you personally like some company over another, or whether you are personally happy or unhappy with where they are at the moment isn't the point. It's perfectly fine if you simply don't like a company for whatever personal reason. But if you are going to go around spewing accusations of an issue with the company practice, and single them out as epecially heinous with it; you better back it up with proper facts that actually legitimately set them apart for that reason.

It simply boils down to. Post stuff as fact. Back it up.

Mar 31, 2014, 02:39 PM
I don't disagree with the principle of what you're saying, at all. I'm there 100%.

Just, legally, not so much. You're not buying what's on the disc - you're buying the disc itself, and a license to access the data on the disc.

It's kind of like going to a bar and buying a drink. You don't own the mug. You can be kicked out of the bar. You just own the beverage, and they're allowing you to drink it on the premises.

It sucks, and they've got us by the balls, but...actually there is no but, that's the whole thing.
herein lies the problem w/ proprietary software licenses.

as for tenlade, you need to realize that all proprietary software that is licensed as such is equally evil and you have no rights when the software isn't libre. all of these companies are equally heinous and willing to fuck you over, some just package the end result differently.

Chdata
Mar 31, 2014, 03:13 PM

Anything you purchase is yours to use as you see fit. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're a moron.

He's saying you can't buy something from someone that has its own copyright/patent, and proceed to try and profit off of it yourself.

Unless you want to go make a new game using Mario as your main character and try to tell the courts that you bought Super Mario World so it's completely ok for you to use their character.

TBH, I think games like PSO2 and MicroVolts offer their 'premium crap' for way more than they are digitally worth.

Mar 31, 2014, 03:34 PM
TBH, I think games like PSO2 and MicroVolts offer their 'premium crap' for way more than they are digitally worth.
digital (artificial) scarcity is absurdist to begin with.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 31, 2014, 03:45 PM

Except that's not how it works at all. Your phrase is probably the worst thing I've ever heard (the fuck does that even mean), and in terms of software, you are purchasing the right to own the copy of the game, and to play it. The coffee mug analogy used earlier is a terrible example. Can you modify the game, reverse engineer it, and anything else like that? Sure you can! Depending on the game, however, you could be breaking the "agreement" that you have. They more than likely won't come after you for it, and it'd be very unlikely that you'll get in trouble...until you start making a profit off of it. That's when issues really start. And as for the DLC thing, I don't think it's really that big of a deal, until it starts going into EA territory. (Seriously, count Mass Effect's DLC's. Cash cow, anyone?)

Also, HI METATIME.

gigawuts
Mar 31, 2014, 03:56 PM
Except that's not how it works at all. Your phrase is probably the worst thing I've ever heard (the fuck does that even mean), and in terms of software, you are purchasing the right to own the copy of the game, and to play it. The coffee mug analogy used earlier is a terrible example. Can you modify the game, reverse engineer it, and anything else like that? Sure you can! Depending on the game, however, you could be breaking the "agreement" that you have. They more than likely won't come after you for it, and it'd be very unlikely that you'll get in trouble...until you start making a profit off of it. That's when issues really start. And as for the DLC thing, I don't think it's really that big of a deal, until it starts going into EA territory. (Seriously, count Mass Effect's DLC's. Cash cow, anyone?)

Also, HI METATIME.

While not perfect, the mug example holds better than you seem to think.

You can modify your beverage all you damn well want. That's what you own. They can kick you out and take the mug if they see fit, however, and what's the point of owning a beverage if you have nothing to hold it in again?

See: Online-only games.

What's the point of a modified client if you can't use it on the servers?

Inazuma
Mar 31, 2014, 09:45 PM
You can't legally hack and fuck around with modern games because they are online and doing so will ruin the experience for other players.

Using a Game Genie on your Super Mario Brothers cartridge to fuck around with the game is perfectly legal. In fact, there was a court case that came to this decision when Nintendo tried to sue the makers of the Game Genie.

Takatsuki
Mar 31, 2014, 09:47 PM
You can't legally hack and fuck around with modern games because they are online and doing so will ruin the experience for other players.

Using a Game Genie on your Super Mario Brothers cartridge to fuck around with the game is perfectly legal. In fact, there was a court case that came to this decision when Nintendo tried to sue the makers of the Game Genie.

Actually no, that's not why cheat devices aren't allowed anymore. It's because they don't want people circumventing the disc-locked-content which would be extremely easy to crack with a Gameshark-like device.