PDA

View Full Version : Class Question

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Mar 31, 2014, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

Could someone explain sub classes to me? I'm wondering why you should choose one? Do you get SP per level up to spend on 2 different skill trees once you've got a subclass? Can you get one immediately after a certain level or do you need to do a matterboard quest or some such to access this feature?

Tifa

Sizustar
Mar 31, 2014, 08:53 AM
Subclass is not a new class(Braver, etc)
You choose one of the class you have available that is not your main class to sub, gaining you 20% of the stat of the subclass, and access to it's skill.

So for example, I'm a Force main(65) and Techer sub(65)

I have multiple skill palatte, one of each element.

So I see that DF is coming up, I can swap my normal usage of Lightning Fo and Dark Te, to Lightning Fo and Light Te for DF, or Mine, I switch to Ice Fo, and Support TE.

isCasted
Mar 31, 2014, 09:42 AM
Subclass is unlocked after you complete an order from Koffie that's available when you reach 20 on any class. Any class can be used as a subclass. Level of your subclass is separate from level of main, both can be levelled as main or sub.

As it was explained above, using some class as sub grants you 20% of its stats and full access to its skill tree and Photon Arts/Techniques.

To use a PA of that class you need a multiclass weapon, though. For example: if you play Br/Ra you can use any Katana and Bow, but only special Launchers and Rifles like ディブルアルブス - Divularbus. Having that rifle and Ranger subclass allows you to use Rifle-related skills and PAs as if you were playing Ranger while you are using it (that includes Weak Bullet) but with Braver's stats and access to other weapons.
Popular reverse example of that is Hu/Br with multiclass Katana - you technically play Braver, but with Hunter's S-ATK, DEF and HP.

Force and Techer classes are special cases - they use same techniques, so you can use multiclass Wand with Force main/sub even without Techer sub/main and multiclass Rod with Techer main/sub without Force sub/main. You only lose ability to use related skills (Wand Gear) if that class (Techer) is not your main or sub.

nathanielzor
Mar 31, 2014, 10:04 AM
You get 75 skill points max, 65 for each level, and 10 from Client Orders you unlock at 45 and 65. Subclasses are beneficial because you absorb 20% of their stats, gain access to using PAs respective to their class weapons, and you also get to use their skill tree. You must do a CO to unlock Techer, Fighter, and Gunners as a class btw. You unlock the COs by hitting 30 in specific classes. Force unlocks Techer, Hunter unlocks Fighter, and Ranger unlocks Gunner. Braver however unlocks all of the above by hitting 30.

Anyways for example: the most popular subclass is Hunter, because it has Fury Stance, which increases Striking and Range damage all around, and also JA damage. As a Braver/Hunter you can use Katanas, Bows, and also Hunter weapons: Swords, Partizans, and Wired Lances. You'll also get 75 points in both Braver and Hunter trees at 65/65.

Note: Your weapon still has to say that it can be equipped as a Braver, you can't use ALL swords, partizans, and WLs just because you're subbing the class. You get their PAs, but your equipment requirements still depend on your main class.

Arada
Mar 31, 2014, 10:23 AM
and 10 from Client Orders you unlock at 30 and 45

Fixed. ;)

Daiyousei
Mar 31, 2014, 10:38 AM
Your subclass will also gain 10% of exp until level 45, and it applies to all sources of exp.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Apr 1, 2014, 12:10 AM
Just out of interest...I chose guard stance as further down that side of the tree is more HP boosts and other things that took my fancy. I got plenty of class tree resets if needs be. But i'm wondering how you activate these stances?

Tifa

Kayarine
Apr 1, 2014, 12:16 AM
You need to put them on your subpalette and use them from there. Same goes for mag photon blasts (just in case you're not aware.)

Takatsuki
Apr 1, 2014, 12:26 AM
Just out of interest...I chose guard stance as further down that side of the tree is more HP boosts and other things that took my fancy. I got plenty of class tree resets if needs be. But i'm wondering how you activate these stances?

Tifa

Never EVER use Guard Stance. It's useless.
I assume you're maining Hunter. This is what your skill tree should look like: https://tinyurl.com/kcwuo7f

Then when the level cap raises, you start putting points into Fury S Up 2. Any other sort of skill tree for HU is flat out wrong. The only things that might be varied is if you have Step Attack and Just Reversal on your subclass (you don't need to double up).

As for your sub, you want either Fighter or Braver. For Fighter as your HU sub, you want to go all in on the two stances for FI (except the critical skills) and all the gears. For BR, you want Average Stance maxed out (again, except for critical skills) and Katana Combat.

Zenobia
Apr 1, 2014, 12:56 AM
Never EVER use Guard Stance. It's useless.
I assume you're maining Hunter. This is what your skill tree should look like: https://tinyurl.com/kcwuo7f

Then when the level cap raises, you start putting points into Fury S Up 2. Any other sort of skill tree for HU is flat out wrong. The only things that might be varied is if you have Step Attack and Just Reversal on your subclass (you don't need to double up).

As for your sub, you want either Fighter or Braver. For Fighter as your HU sub, you want to go all in on the two stances for FI (except the critical skills) and all the gears. For BR, you want Average Stance maxed out (again, except for critical skills) and Katana Combat.

You forgot Combat escape how could you.....

Sizustar
Apr 1, 2014, 01:24 AM
You might just want to go through the Build thread first.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Apr 5, 2014, 04:48 AM
Iunno...i've been looking at the build recommendations etc and they don't really suit me. Fury Stance? Makes you stupidly vulnerable for better DPS but people seem to say avoid any critical benefits in HU or FI classes? If fury is about DPS then surely criticals should be an important thing to dedicate points to as well?

I'm on very hard now given how strong some of the enemies can be and how hard they hit, doesn't it make more sense to try and be more like a tank character? It seems like it'd be more solo friendly to be strong defensively instead of being super fragile but with higher damage output. I know in theory with higher damage you will kill enemies quicker and so receiving more damage from attacks shouldn't matter. But I find this Fury Stance is more of a hinderance than a benefit.

Got 2 skill tree reset tickets left so i'm not going to waste them by making any rash decisions. I'll follow the skill tree through to level 65 before deciding what to do next. But after 20+ hours of using this Fury Stance i'm not really a fan.

Tifa

Kondibon
Apr 5, 2014, 05:29 AM
Iunno...i've been looking at the build recommendations etc and they don't really suit me. Fury Stance? Makes you stupidly vulnerable for better DPS but people seem to say avoid any critical benefits in HU or FI classes? If fury is about DPS then surely criticals should be an important thing to dedicate points to as well?Crits just deal your max potential damage, they don't have a multiplier or anything. Rare weapons boost your minimum damage, so crits aren't really worth going for specifically.

I'm on very hard now given how strong some of the enemies can be and how hard they hit, doesn't it make more sense to try and be more like a tank character? It seems like it'd be more solo friendly to be strong defensively instead of being super fragile but with higher damage output. I know in theory with higher damage you will kill enemies quicker and so receiving more damage from attacks shouldn't matter. But I find this Fury Stance is more of a hinderance than a benefit.It sounds good in the short term, but in the long term, as you get better at the game you start getting hit less, at which point you're just doing less damage for no benefit, where as Fury Stance is the opposite. As you get better and get hit less, the extra damage you'd be taking is a non-issue.

EDIT: If you want something more defensive, try Automate halfline.

isCasted
Apr 5, 2014, 05:36 AM
Fury Stance increases received striking damage (it doesn't even increase ranged or tech damage you get) by 5%. I call that "behind RNG barrier". With a number like that 2x damage dealt can be considered an unconditional bonus.

Crits are worthless because, again, its DPS boost is behind RNG barrier - you can have average non-crit attack be stronger than most critical ones. If critical hits had some additional multipliers, it might be useful, but with DEX bonus given by rare weapons having 10 SP in Fury Critical will barely give you 3% DPS boost, while other skills have 10-20%.

UnLucky
Apr 5, 2014, 05:48 AM
On that note, Guard Stance is also only Striking Damage. You completely give up the most damaging skills in your arsenal in order to take... 25% less Striking damage.

That means an attack that used to do 75% of your health still kills you in two hits with 56% of your health. It means an attack that dealt 45% HP still kills you in three hits with 34%. Oh, and Ranged or Tech damage? Good luck, "tank"!

The best defensive abilities available to Hunter (Just Guard, Automate, Iron Will, Flash Guard) don't require Guard Stance at all.

Kondibon
Apr 5, 2014, 05:52 AM
I wish I had the guts to try a flashguard build...

EDIT: On that note, I want them to make Fury and Guard stance's defense bonus/weakness for every damage type, and make it larger for fury stance because, holy crap, taking 5% more damage is nothing compared to how much you dish out.

TehCubey
Apr 5, 2014, 04:42 PM
OP, if you want to die less you can invest in Iron Will + Never Give Up. Guard Stance is garbage.

But generally the best way to get hit less is not to have a defensive build (no such thing in this game, at least non-crappy ones), but to play more, learn boss attack patterns and how to dodge or avoid them.