PDA

View Full Version : XBox PSO is no better off than GC PSO

Soukosa
Apr 15, 2003, 12:16 AM
I'll probably get flamed for saying these, but I'm just kinda getting sick of seeing all of these posts about the XBox version not having alot of the problems the GC version has. (Just because I don't post much here doesn't mean I'm not very active here.)

First off, coruption. I've never been corrupted from playing online, so I'll just use knowledge that I've picked up from hearing about corruption from those have experienced it. To my understanding, when you go online, the game sets a flag and when you save after going offline, it sets the flag back. When the game then freezes up and you are not able to save your file, the flag doesn't get set back and the game sees this and clears out any unequiped items when you open that file. I'm assuming this is simple protective feature to keep people from hacking while online and such. Now, the crashing of the game may or may not be the servers fault, it could vary well be the code in the game that caused the crash (no program is bug free) and thus this could very well happen on the XBox. If it was the server's fault, what makes you think that this won't happen on the XBox too? I mean, MS is known for making some of the most crash prone software out there (and of course, there's much worse out there). So in my mind, the losing of items could very well happen on the XBox too.

Secondly, we having hacking and duping. Quite a few people seem to think that MS will be able to detect hacked saves. But, if the game doesn't detect a hacked save, what makes you think that MS's servers will? Sure, they will be able to find items that people would not be able to get legitimately at the time, but what about hacked PE's? A person could have easily have found a weapon with PE's of the one on the hacked weapon, so they can't just ban someone from something like that. Then there's people that feel that hacking can't happen without a modded XBox. Well, there's USB memory cards out there that will allow you to copy the save onto a computer, just like on the GC. Sure, MS can sue the pants off of the companies that make them so they don't make them anymore, but then there's homebrewed ones made using a standard USB memory stick, MS can't get rid of those. Also, there's the Linux way of getting saves onto the computer. Sure, under most circumstances you'll need a modded XBox to do that, but some people have found a flaw in a game and they were able to get Linux up and running on an unmodded XBox. Yeah, sure they can come up with a forcing everyone to download patch to fix that, but then they'll just find another way to get Linux on the XBox without modding it. Lastly, people have brought up the fact the XBox version requires you to have XBL in order to play even offline mode. For whatever reason that is (most likely to get money off of you offline people), there's no guarentee that you'll have to be online when you do offline, you just have to have an XBL account setup. Even if they do require you to go online, it then just goes back to what I mentioned about the detection of hacked code.

These are just my view points on the situation. I am not an MS basher or whatever (I'm using IE and Windows to write this up). I also have a good amount of experience with computers and some experience with hacking (mainly with chao on SA2:B, no PSO hacking yet).

Captain_Dude
Apr 15, 2003, 12:21 AM
The XBL! servers are most likely going to be more secure than that of whats on GC. I doubt very much that PSOX will have corruption problems. And since PSOX doesn't have double-save, that eliminates some of the worst chances for a corruption right there.

Duping, well, heck, that's probably gonna plague us aswell as you. But the feedback will help to combat this!

Hacking: If rumors are true, some hacking is making its way onto GC aswell. Atleast PSOX has feedback and patches, so we've slightly more to combat hacking with if both consoles get overrun by hackers. Until then, GC is safer.

Now, to deal with this sudden worsening in my aphasia!

EDIT: And about the requirement for having XBL to play offline. This could be used for various anti-cheating measures. But anyway, this game is called Phantasy Star ONLINE! It can be fun offline, but the true fun is had online. If you've got an Xbox, and you're choosing PSOX over PSOGC, then that probably measn you're more into your Xbox. And since all hardcore Xbox fans most likely have live, they're not expecting the XBL requirement to be a thorn in anybody's side. And there're methods to play offline withou XBL.

I don't me to insult you, and correct me if I'm wrong, but to me this post basically feels like some softened PSOX bashing. It's not very helpful, and is just the perfect thing to start a flame war. So please, try not to have your future posts not seemingly try to find fault in another version of PSO! But if you had no intention as coming off as if you were trying to find fault in PSOX, I'm terribly sorry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-04-14 22:31 ]</font>

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 15, 2003, 01:37 AM
Microsoft didn't make the PSO code, so claiming since its a Microsoft product..it'll crash is silly. As the Captain pointed out, double save doesn't exsist on the JP version of the game. And this was the source of most of the corruption.

Next, you don't really believe that Linux running on an unmodded xbox story do you? I mean...didn't anyone check the date on the story? Even the most die hard Linux groups admit that with the current methods, it'll take years to break the security seal.

As for the Action Replay (The Legal device I assume you reference), its terrific for transfering files from the card to your computer. However, PSO files aren't the same as something like Halo files. Any sort of change to the original file will result in the main system...basically rejecting it...forcing people to only play offline (Same method you use to bring over a character to a friend's house). Also, the timestamps also play a part. You don't think Microsoft's Live team would notice something like a newly created character magically jumping up to 200 in 20 minutes of "offline" time at a different xbox?

Also, you need to have the account set up, not just having Live software on the console. If it works out like the JP version, there was data (not alot or often) transfered even while I was offline. The game is connected to your specific gamertag, not just feeling around for Live software (which in itself presents quite a paradox since the xbox won't connect to the sign up live servers without finding a connection).

Bottom line is these folks are excited they're finally getting PSO. If it bothers you so much to the point you have to create a post on speculation on the potential problems (And I assume that's what the majority of your post is...unless you have the JP version), just give them a week to get it out of their system and return then.

NekoHikari
Apr 15, 2003, 01:37 AM
Kalonera has some very good points- this is a mature and appreciated post simply because there is no bashing in it whatsoever.

But thankfully... there are no known ways to cheat at all on the American release of Phantasy Star Online for XBOX.

Sheik1
Apr 15, 2003, 02:27 AM
I heard rumors that the PSOx had alredy been hacked. I am reffering to the experiance tables and the enemy drop (including rares) table.

This would require a way to modify the programming on the DVD, but is possible. I have heard rumors or people that hacked the experiance tables and got an instant level 200. Could this be true?

I would think the XBox has some sort of security ring on the DVDs like the GCN has on their discs. It would be MUCH harder to make a GCN disc because of the size and it is in DVD format verses the XBox.

Can anyone say if people have been able to copy DVDs for the XBox and they work? Maybe a MOD chip (like the PS2) would also be required to bypass the security check.

Does anyone know if these rumors about the hacked experiance and enemy drops are true?

saffaya
Apr 15, 2003, 04:22 AM
I'm getting sick of explaining the same things again and again.
You want some answers from people owning a modded Xbox ?
Then head to the cheaters forum and do a search.

Yosho
Apr 15, 2003, 01:40 PM
*sigh* here we go again, another flame starting topic...

XBOX haters unite!!.......so that I may bash you all! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

I'm sick of these topics about PSOX will suck blah blah or isnt as good as GC blah blah. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

EDIT: oh yeah, keep thinking you wont corupt, your number will come sooner or later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yosho on 2003-04-15 11:42 ]</font>

Blenjar
Apr 15, 2003, 01:52 PM
I read them all...JK, but I did with the first paragraph of the first topic. I don't remember what I read few secs ago but this is what I got to say even tho I dunno what.

WHO cares!? get the damn game and play it 'til you get corrupted THEN! start cryin' about it. I don't care if NGC is better, am hoopin' on the Xbox cuz I've already bought a gamertag. Xbox is better off cuz of voice chat and get to type 2! Not like NGC who are strugglin' on finantial stuff! They broke its all. Even Capcom resident evil series'll go to other platform cause NGC are C H E A P, NO $$ NO GAME.

Soukosa
Apr 15, 2003, 05:57 PM
First off, I'm not an XBox basher. Second, I don't see where I was stating that the XBox version is inferior to the GC version, I was just stating it is open to most if not all of the problems that the GC version has that so many people keep stating that it won't have.

For the XBox security things, sure it will be awhile before it is broken, and if it ever is, MS can just change it, but people will continue to find ways around it, I've seen this done on other things and I see no reason as to why it can't happen on the XBox as well.

For the hacking, it seems that I'm more knowledgable about hacking than the person that posted that comment. A timestamp is going to stop a hacker, since they can just change it and I'm sure MS isn't going to keep track of every save file for every game for every user. Also, if you can get a game save on to a computer, it's open for hacking once someone figures out the format. GC PSO can be hacked easily, thanks to the USB memory card, but I guess few people have figured out the format and such of the save yet.

TeamPhalanx
Apr 15, 2003, 06:08 PM
One question:

Does PSOX have that one Gobooma in Forest 1 that floats in the air for a split second?

Eclypse
Apr 15, 2003, 06:19 PM
Enough already, the game comes out tomorrow so let's just drop this topic and all others like it. No one will care once the game comes out tomorrow because all inquiries will be answered.

Mumfo
Apr 15, 2003, 11:50 PM
This guy is a troll who caim up with a bunch of BS.