PDA

View Full Version : A solution to all cheating?????!!!

FroZenHell
Apr 15, 2003, 09:05 AM
Ok this is not going to be a long post but just an idea I want you guys to comment on. We all hate dupers, cheaters, and hackers so what can we do? why doesn't the sonic team just have us users save our characters online like diablo2 and all smart mmorpgs?? no one will have the balls to hack in to a mircrosoft server and edit their charas then wouldn't this solve all cheating??

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 15, 2003, 09:40 AM
That's still oversimplification, but one necessary step to combat cheatz0ring :3.

Elusive_Llama
Apr 15, 2003, 09:56 AM
Because of the offline mode. Not every user can get online, and Sega wants this game to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. That, and it would probably cost Sega some dough to save players' data on their servers.

Kryslin
Apr 15, 2003, 10:08 AM
Server-side saves would weed out 'casual' cheaters, true (and would make most would be hackers think twice - The penalties are rather severe now, these post 9/11 days; It's not Microsoft you have to worry about, it's the FBI). Those who are hell-bent on cheating would still find ways, like the now infamous NGC -> PC -> ISP route, with a packet spoofing program running on the PC. With Diablo 2 Realms characters, that's how most of the cheating is done, with packet spoofers. Offline play is another story entirely...

There is another way to stem cheating, the route that Neverwinter Nights took; Have Sonic Team -provide- all the tools required to edit and cheat the game. If the tools are readily available, and it's made so easy, why bother doing it in the first place?

Also, since Sonic Team is unable/refuses to solve the network instability problems, this gives players the ability to either recover corrupted characters, or be able to back up character data with a minimum of hassles. On the upside, players could come up with thier own offline quests, too. Some of the best levels for the FPS genre came not from the game's creators, but from the community that grew up around the games.On the downside, it may exacerbate some problems, so some way of telling a played or recovered character from an out and out edited character needs to be in place...

Kryslin
L110 Yellowboze RAmarl Morgaine

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kryslin on 2003-04-15 08:10 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Apr 15, 2003, 10:30 AM
Some of the best levels for the FPS genre came not from the game's creators, but from the community that grew up around the games.

somewhat offtopic:

Not only best levels, but best games unto themselves. Half-Life was a good game. Then came Counterstrike, which is a mod on Half-Life. It was a fresh break from the usual 'frag everything in sight' and 'I survived a rocket-launched grenade to the head' FPS game. Then, while Counterstrike was being screwed up by developers and hackers, Day of Defeat arrived (another mod on Half-Life). Day of Defeat is quite possibly the best online FPS ever, and it's running on the Half-Life engine too.

LouisGB
Apr 15, 2003, 10:57 AM
i play counterstrike all the time and ive never had a problem with cheaters.

some hacks are quite benificial to the community, it was a game hacker that discovered that you could create your own sprays for counterstrike and was not intended to be used like it is today, but now everyone can go around and spray their own cool tags around cs, which is hacking, but it doesnt hurt any one

Zeebo
Apr 15, 2003, 11:13 AM
D2 is getting currupt now too....
They would find a way..

KodiaX987
Apr 15, 2003, 01:58 PM
The only way to stop online cheating is to pull the plug on all the servers.

Believe me, it makes gameplay so much more fun. Nothing like a teammates game of Gunstar Heroes to compensate for the loss of yer favorite character in PSO!

Elusive_Llama
Apr 15, 2003, 02:13 PM
Really? Wow, you've never been shot through the wall by an AWP, in cs_italy? Or fell victim to an aimbot? Or TK even if FF is off? I must have been playing on the wrong servers :/

Say, have you ever tried Day of Defeat?

Wewt
Apr 15, 2003, 02:52 PM
On 2003-04-15 12:13, Elusive_Llama wrote:
Really? Wow, you've never been shot through the wall by an AWP, in cs_italy? Or fell victim to an aimbot? Or TK even if FF is off? I must have been playing on the wrong servers :/

Say, have you ever tried Day of Defeat?

D00d, have you ever been shot from a CT at the CT sniper spot on dust, while you're allllllllllllllllllll the way at the other end of the underpass? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

BonusKun
Apr 15, 2003, 05:28 PM
On 2003-04-15 07:05, FroZenHell wrote:
We all hate dupers, cheaters, and hackers so what can we do?

Who's we?

Para
Apr 15, 2003, 09:54 PM
hehe sega doesnt want to pay for the bandwidth ;(

brillyfresh
Apr 15, 2003, 11:17 PM
yeah, who IS "we"? .... very general statement there .....

On 2003-04-15 09:13, Zeebo wrote:
They would find a way..

getting currupt? ... been corrupt http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

i think that if someone who was cheating did so only because they had to apply extensive programming knowledge to their exploits, then they earned it

it irks me to see some 13 year old kid mass-duping, with no knowledge whatsoever about computer programming ... but then there's someone like Barubary, who knows much more about PSO than most of us will ever know probably .... that's impressive

polishedweasel
Apr 15, 2003, 11:40 PM
On 2003-04-15 09:13, Zeebo wrote:
They would find a way..

D2 really sucks anyway... I hate that game.
This is my impression of me playing D2....

*click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,
click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,cl ick,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,clic k,
click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,cl ick,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,clic k,
click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,cl ick,click,click,click,click,click..... ooo level up.... "claw mastery"..."5 pts on power" click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,cl ick,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,clic k,
click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,cl ick,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,clic k,....

get the picture???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: polishedweasel on 2003-04-15 21:41 ]</font>

hawaiianPride
Apr 16, 2003, 12:58 AM
They would find a way..

The Fact that it is coroupt now is not the problem, that system was started a few years ago, And it is corupt now. But it lasted long....., D2's time is over, They Have probobaly found a better Hack protechtion system, but like the other person said,they want this game to apeal to wider veriarty.

tigone01
Apr 16, 2003, 08:53 PM
Are cheaters really that big a deal. Well maybe in pso land where they tend to fsod and bsod other chars. I believe the right way, and it was said earlier, is to it like neverwinter, provide the tools.