PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 To craft or not to craft?

Venkas
Apr 30, 2014, 02:39 AM
I have a crafted Katana 6* at 866 S-atk

I grinded a 10* Yatenkouga+10 and it is only sitting at 788.

I searched for others and saw the highest one still have -3 compared to my crafted Katana.

So my question is are the higher rare items only for looks and potential? Not damage? What am I missing?

strikerhunter
Apr 30, 2014, 03:00 AM
-Craft any weapons under 10*
-Crafted weapons loses their hidden bonus so even if they have a higher atk than said 10* then 10* will still dishout constant damage.
-Craft weapons damage variance is larger than crafted ones.

Answer:
Only craft 1*-9*s and techs (only do techs if you are playing Fo or Te).
-Higher rare items will always have a better consistent damage output than crafted ones regardless of s/r/t-atk because of their hidden bonus when not crafted (not to mention latents).

Raw s/r/t-atk of a weapon =/= better damage output (you have to calculate the latent along with the hidden dex bonus)

UnLucky
Apr 30, 2014, 03:07 AM
If you have a strong rare weapon with a good potential, use that.

If you can't get anything similar, craft up something with a good potential until you can.

If the two weapons have the same Atk and potential, the crafted one will be a lot weaker. This is because uncrafted rare weapons have a lot higher minimum damage.

Venkas
Apr 30, 2014, 03:11 AM
How would I know the hidden dex bonus? Sorry for all the questions, it just seems odd to program crafting and stats like that.

UnLucky
Apr 30, 2014, 03:14 AM
Rare weapons give 90% of their Atk towards minimum damage. Crafted and common weapons give 0%.

strikerhunter
Apr 30, 2014, 03:14 AM
You don't but there is one if you test damage variance between a crafted 10* with a non-crafted 10*. While you'll be hitting harder with the crafted weapon, the spread damage between your lowest damage possible and highest damage possible is big (don't know the actually % but it's big) whereas non-crafted 10*s will hit 90% of their maximum/minimum damage(whatever one I can't remember) (crit is 100%).

Hidden dex bonus applies to 10*s and above but I don't remember if they apply to 7*-9*s.

Edit: dammit Unlucky just posted before me.

Basically even with the higher s/r/t-atk on your crafted gear, your damage output may actually be lower than 10*s with lower s/r/t-atk.

Venkas
Apr 30, 2014, 05:56 AM
Thank you so much for this information guys! Saved me a headache :-D

moorebounce
Apr 30, 2014, 09:19 AM
I learned the hard way don't craft any 10*+ weapons

nathanielzor
Apr 30, 2014, 12:33 PM
Hidden dex bonus applies to 10*s and above but I don't remember if they apply to 7*-9*s.
All rares have the hidden dex modifier except Red and Blue weapons.

thu2468
Apr 30, 2014, 01:29 PM
-Craft any weapons under 10*
-Crafted weapons loses their hidden bonus so even if they have a higher atk than said 10* then 10* will still dishout constant damage.
-Craft weapons damage variance is larger than crafted ones.

Answer:
Only craft 1*-9*s and techs (only do techs if you are playing Fo or Te).
-Higher rare items will always have a better consistent damage output than crafted ones regardless of s/r/t-atk because of their hidden bonus when not crafted (not to mention latents).

Raw s/r/t-atk of a weapon =/= better damage output (you have to calculate the latent along with the hidden dex bonus)

should i craft tech weapon?

Mazz0
Apr 30, 2014, 02:02 PM
This might seem like a stupid question. When you all say craft, do you mean extending? I've only started playing a week ago and keep seeing this mentioned, but don't see any option to make weapons.

isCasted
Apr 30, 2014, 02:36 PM
Yes, crafting a weapon = extending. It's indeed a wrong name, but that's what it is.

strikerhunter
Apr 30, 2014, 06:09 PM
should i craft tech weapon?

By Techs I meant Tech PAs not tech weapons.

thu2468
Apr 30, 2014, 09:57 PM
oh ok

XrosBlader821
May 1, 2014, 11:16 AM
what about Units crafting though?
No one is mentioning them.

Nitro Vordex
May 1, 2014, 04:02 PM
AFAIK, Units can be okay, depending on the unit. It removes the hidden attributes, like the spike units giving HP. I don't remember if it still gives the set bonus though. Some of the crappy 10* ones that look like different elements (water, fire, electric, etc.) I believe are better crafted.

Z-0
May 1, 2014, 04:09 PM
When you craft units you get a set amount of HP / PP / Defenses, along with a hidden resist.

Set Bonus stays, so crafting some units is nice if you like the set bonus, but would like more of one of the above on your units.

Venkas
May 2, 2014, 09:30 AM
Another quick question that pertains to the original. Does having a high amount of DEX make up for that damage variance? I cannot login right now by my DEX is somewhere around 500-600.

I keep reading that DEX doesnt do anything for you except let you use stronger katanas/range weapons. Did I waste Mag points?

Sizustar
May 2, 2014, 09:44 AM
Another quick question that pertains to the original. Does having a high amount of DEX make up for that damage variance? I cannot login right now by my DEX is somewhere around 500-600.

I keep reading that DEX doesnt do anything for you except let you use stronger katanas/range weapons. Did I waste Mag points?

There is no current way to get enough dex to make it usable.
Even if you go All dex mag, and dex on your unit and weapon.

strikerhunter
May 2, 2014, 09:59 AM

Nope, go back what to unlucky and I posted in the first page about damage variance.
Increasing Dex won't help in this case, better off investing into crit skills in the skill tree instead of wasting mag points. So technically, you did waste mag points unless you grab Braver mag to make use of those Dex you invested in on your mag.

UnLucky
May 2, 2014, 09:59 AM
600+ Dex is probably pretty close to making up the minimum damage loss of a ~900 Atk weapon.

Though it's probably closer to 700 Dex against certain enemies if their own Dex is fairly high.

Venkas
May 2, 2014, 11:25 AM
Nope, go back what to unlucky and I posted in the first page about damage variance.
Increasing Dex won't help in this case, better off investing into crit skills in the skill tree instead of wasting mag points. So technically, you did waste mag points unless you grab Braver mag to make use of those Dex you invested in on your mag.

I did invest into Braver Mag. I maxed out the skill. (I have skill resets >_>)

So DEX seems like a very useless stat except for equipment requirements.

I really wish this information wasn't hidden :argh:

EDIT: Thank you guys for answering a noob who asks a lot of questions. I feel like PSU was simpler lol

strikerhunter
May 2, 2014, 11:51 AM
I did invest into Braver Mag. I maxed out the skill. (I have skill resets >_>)

So DEX seems like a very useless stat except for equipment requirements.

I really wish this information wasn't hidden :argh:

EDIT: Thank you guys for answering a noob who asks a lot of questions. I feel like PSU was simpler lol

It's not that dex is useless, it's just that it is not really worth it investing into pure or high dex. Decent dex on mag is bout 30 and that's enough........for now.

UnLucky
May 2, 2014, 12:05 PM
Well Braver Mag certainly helps, so the investment into Dex isn't completely wasted. Though as I said, Dex does somewhat offset the nonrare damage variance, just not close enough to reach what rare weapons can get by default.

But crit skills are even more of a waste, even for crafted weapons. You should never take points away from damage increasing skills, even as a Fighter main with Critical Strike or a Gunner with Zero Range Critical.

As a secondary thing with spare SP, sure, since it does increase your average damage, but the cookie cutter pure DPS builds increase your overall damage by a lot more.

musicmf
May 2, 2014, 12:13 PM
There is no current way to get enough dex to make it usable.
Even if you go All dex mag, and dex on your unit and weapon.

I don't think crafted weapons are "unusable", but I do agree that if you have an equal or better rare weapon that is not crafted, you should use that instead to make your 1-shots more consistent.

From http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?クラフト
[SPOILER-BOX]http://mmoloda.com/pso2/image/24502.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Based on this (small) sample size, at the listed R-ATK/Dex figures... (Unless I'm missing other variables hidden in the jWiki)*
The damage range for the Crafted weapon looks to be at around 73.5~100% (Average 88%).
While the damage range for the Regular weapon is from 94.9%~100% (Average 98%)

Again, the regular weapon is definitely better. As the ranges were more consistent and the average was a good percentage higher.
But it isn't like the crafted weapon's results were completely crippling. So if you have no better alternative (free players) I don't think it is too terrible to run around with a crafted weapon.
(But please, keep a goal to upgrade your weapon to a real one)

* I don't research into damage formulas, so if I'm completely off base and am not accounting for many variables, then I apologize

XrosBlader821
May 17, 2014, 04:26 PM
So yesterday a Team member said that he uses Extended Weapon's because as a Braver he has enough Dex to have a minimum Damage of 96%.
So I guess it makes sense to craft weapons for Braver. Especially since their PA's also have a higher Dex bonus.
But I'm not sure what deals more damage, a crafted weapon + Dex Mag build or a uncrafted + S-Atk Mag build.

GHNeko
May 17, 2014, 05:16 PM
Quick question since I'm still in the dark a lot when it comes to details for damage calculations.

How does DEX come into play for determining minimum damage?

http://ohpso2.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Formula

This gives me information on your possible damage output, but I'm not seeing how to figure out what your minimum damage would be at based on your dex, without the use of an enemy.

Unless you need to?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because I feel like I'm missing something I think...

UnLucky
May 17, 2014, 07:47 PM
So yesterday a Team member said that he uses Extended Weapon's because as a Braver he has enough Dex to have a minimum Damage of 96%.
Spoilers: He doesn't.

You would need upwards of 400 after subtracting the enemy's Dex. So like 700+ with a good weapon (900+ Atk).

Tell me he doesn't have Ability Up maxed.

However, it is somewhat true that minimum damage (and by extension Dex) is less important for Bravers due to Katana Gear greatly increasing your crit rate while active.

But I'm not sure what deals more damage, a crafted weapon + Dex Mag build or a uncrafted + S-Atk Mag build.
Not only are crafted weapons weaker than many 10*s, you lose damage for every point spent in Dex that could have been S-Atk instead.

It's no contest.

Quick question since I'm still in the dark a lot when it comes to details for damage calculations.

How does DEX come into play for determining minimum damage?

http://ohpso2.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Formula

This gives me information on your possible damage output, but I'm not seeing how to figure out what your minimum damage would be at based on your dex, without the use of an enemy.

Unless you need to?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because I feel like I'm missing something I think...
Your minimum damage is based on your total Atk without your weapon's stats, plus double your Dex. It is, of course, mitigated by your target's Def and Dex stats (as in, directly subtracted from your totals).

Your minimum damage is capped by your total Atk stat plus 90% of your weapon's Atk. Rare weapons simply hit this cap automatically.

GHNeko
May 18, 2014, 12:23 AM
Your minimum damage is based on your total Atk without your weapon's stats, plus double your Dex. It is, of course, mitigated by your target's Def and Dex stats (as in, directly subtracted from your totals).

Your minimum damage is capped by your total Atk stat plus 90% of your weapon's Atk. Rare weapons simply hit this cap automatically.

AH. THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR.

Thank you!

Man.

So with crafted weapons that means minimum damage is total attack stak + 55% of your weapons attack?

EDIT: Also what I'm getting from this conversation is that BR/Katana benefits the most from crafting (or more aptly stated: is screwed the least by crafting weapons) lol

Sizustar
May 18, 2014, 12:39 AM

Thank you!

Man.

So with crafted weapons that means minimum damage is total attack stak + 55% of your weapons attack?

EDIT: Also what I'm getting from this conversation is that BR/Katana benefits the most from crafting (or more aptly stated: is screwed the least by crafting weapons) lol

No, Just craft weapon between 1~9*
Anything over 10*, is not worth crafting, even with an all dex build, it is not possible for player to get enough dex to make it worthwhile.

LordKaiser
May 18, 2014, 01:19 AM
Anyway I have around 131 dex on the MAG so I'll rather continue with it and buy other MAGs around the road because SEGA is capable of adding Braver MAG bonus or something on the skill tree.

GHNeko
May 18, 2014, 01:47 AM
No, Just craft weapon between 1~9*
Anything over 10*, is not worth crafting, even with an all dex build, it is not possible for player to get enough dex to make it worthwhile.

Err... T....That's not what I was talking about...at all...

I was just saying that the way crafting works, that BRs (or characters that use katanas) get the long end of the stick when dealing with Extended weapons.

It's still a shitty deal, but if you happen to be a BR main or use Katanas, you are left slightly better off.

UnLucky
May 18, 2014, 04:37 AM

Thank you!

Man.

Not sure what 55% is supposed to be, but I guess if that's how much Dex you happened to have?

Common (1-6*), Crafted, or Red/Blue weapons: 0-90%
Rare (7*+) or Uncrafted weapons: 90%

If the enemy has more Dex than you, your minimum damage with a crafted weapon would be like not having a weapon at all. But if you've got 450 more Dex than the enemy, then there's no difference between two weapons with 1000 Atk (or lower) whether they're crafted or not.

But also note that your base Atk (from leveling up, feeding your mag, or spending skill points) as well as any affixes, equipment set bonuses, and temporary buffs all count towards minimum and maximum damage. There's no cap, either (that anyone's reached).

Dex was supposed to be balanced by the fact that it raises your minimum damage twice as much as Atk, but it's just completely ignored on crit or using a rare weapon since it doesn't affect max damage.