PDA

View Full Version : XBOX: Faster load times, more items?

blaketx11
Apr 15, 2003, 05:42 PM
Yes, this is another "what's the difference" post about the Xbox version. I understand the pricing structure, the 5.1/480p improvement, etc, but what, if any, are the other differences?
I assume since the Xbox is a more powerful machine than the GC that perhaps load times will be decreased? Or will we still see people talk before they appear:D?
Also, the Xbox uses slightly larger discs to store games, so have they utilized this space for any particular bonuses?
And this is just a general PSO question (only been online a month): Are rare items created on the server side of PSO, or are they all written into the game when it was made? Meaning, could these new items/enemies (easter rappies) ever be seen offline, or do we actually download them by playing online?

Do you think they will add more/new items etc to the Xbox version?

I apoligize if these are repeats, but I'm pretty close to trading in my PSO, BB adapter, and getting the Xbox versions ($90 investment for me).
Thanks!

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Apr 15, 2003, 05:56 PM
Well, we can download patches, so I am guessing that we will be able to find Holiday Rappies offline, assuming that ST can turn on and off patches.

Kthak
Apr 15, 2003, 05:59 PM
Gamecube has the fastest loading times of all the cd/dvd based systems... only a cart system beats it. So PSOX will not load faster than PSO on GC.

Math
Apr 15, 2003, 06:01 PM
NO you will probably not see people talking befor they appear..because of the Band connection also im really douting you will see dupes on Xbox PSO because of the patch downloads that can most likely end all that tpye of stuff...an yes some of the rare beast are in the game(disc) but not the easter rappies or anything like that but as the other person said they may come into the game cuz of the patch..

blaketx11
Apr 15, 2003, 06:08 PM
Hmmm.. ok it seems I don't NEED this version just yet... Unless this new version is revolutionary or something, but I think i'll wait for it.. I can't see Sonic Team adding new items etc to the Xbox version that won't be released on the GC edition.
That's really what I wanted to know, if I'd be missing out.
I don't care for the voice chat, I don't have a HDTV, and my family won't let me utilize 5.1 at any reasonable volume. So that settles it:D.

RiGoRmOrTiS_UK
Apr 15, 2003, 06:55 PM
here is a few pointers for you all..

they never said they were gonna patch it... infact they said that xbox pso's and gc pso's content would match... so anything which isnt possible on the gamecube verison (i.e. holiday rappies offline.. etc) wont happen on the xbox (unless sega release a updated bonus disc for the gamecube).

as for the gamecube.. it isnt the fastest loader.. this a misconception through most nintendo fanboys which even leaks out into the general public so "some" non fanboys think this too.. the xbox is faster because it loads much of the game data on the harddisk rather than always loading it from a disc like the cube.

however a big point to consider with the xbox version is.. whats the point.. your voice is good and all but you'll only be hearing fellow americans since your region locked into the US and cant play anyone from JP and the EU.

what about JP server exclusive stuff etc... US peeps on the xbox version arn't going to see these. (if there arnt any... I'm just going off what happened on the dreamcast)

Blaime
Apr 15, 2003, 07:16 PM
I believe the xbox version has an additional character class, but I don't think thats anything that screams you have to have me. Other than that, it just has voice chat which is a big plus.

Reenee
Apr 15, 2003, 07:25 PM
Oh, yes, let's be able to hear people say "Yer g@Y" on the frickin' headset. Very good idea.

Um, why'd you have to bring up the "one extra character class" thing again? It's been beaten to death: there is NO extra character class. XBOX PSO is GC PSO.

LoreSeeker
Apr 15, 2003, 07:30 PM
The Xbox version looks pretty much identical to the GCN version as far as graphics go, and the content is the same, with the exception of voice chat. I would dare to say that the GCN has faster loading times, though I have no idea why. No, I'm not a fanboy, I just noticed that it takes longer to load Xbox games such as DOAX than it takes to load GCN games such as Metroid Prime. I don't mean to start a huge debate over which system is better, especially since I love both. Just my two cents.

blaketx11
Apr 15, 2003, 07:48 PM
On 2003-04-15 17:16, Blaime wrote:
I believe the xbox version has an additional character class, but I don't think thats anything that screams you have to have me. Other than that, it just has voice chat which is a big plus.

Also if you hit A+B L+R and then hit start 5 times you're instantly level 200
Oh and the new class is a "Hippy" class. You start off quitting your job to "fulfill your spirit" while at the same time fighting the nazi-esque economic establishment. Basically you know that only through love and harmony will the world be a better place so early on, at like, level 3, you shoot yourself and do all the world a favor.

Any other rumors you'd like to reinforce? I'd like facts only if you don't mind...

ALPHAM0F0
Apr 15, 2003, 08:12 PM
On 2003-04-15 17:48, blaketx11 wrote:

On 2003-04-15 17:16, Blaime wrote:

Also if you hit A+B L+R and then hit start 5 times you're instantly level 200
Oh and the new class is a "Hippy" class. You start off quitting your job to "fulfill your spirit" while at the same time fighting the nazi-esque economic establishment. Basically you know that only through love and harmony will the world be a better place so early on, at like, level 3, you shoot yourself and do all the world a favor.

Any other rumors you'd like to reinforce? I'd like facts only if you don't mind...

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA that was simply great

Droxitr
Apr 15, 2003, 08:15 PM
Can't believe I'm actually feeding this beast, but here goes...

as for the gamecube.. it isnt the fastest loader.. this a misconception through most nintendo fanboys which even leaks out into the general public so "some" non fanboys think this too.. the xbox is faster because it loads much of the game data on the harddisk rather than always loading it from a disc like the cube.

While what RiGoRmOrTiS_UK said was close, it's not entirely quite head on. Same for Kthak. GCN does load data faster than all the other disc systems.

However...

Although XB does load slower from the disc than GCN, it saves this onto the hard drive, meaning it only needs to load it up from the actual game once per area per session under good circumstances. (Clean disc, all equipment in working proper order, space on the hard drive left ect.)

DarkDragon7
Apr 15, 2003, 08:34 PM
Eh you probably all know this already but just throwing this in for those of you who don't know.

The extra class that everyone keeps talking about is the one extra class in each area. X Box.com says that the classes are "BRAND NEW" (Hucaseal, Ramarl, and Fomar)which they are to anyone who hasn't played GC. That's all it means. For pete's sake they even say that they have a brand new exclusive area called Episode 2! Well ok maybe my wording is off but seriously, X Box's delivery of info sucks really bad. I'm not a fan boy of any real system. I have all 3 so it's not like a favor one more then the other..... ok so PS2 but that's besides the point. I still love my GC a lot. As I do my X Box.

blaketx11
Apr 15, 2003, 09:13 PM
You'd think with all the trouble they go through to port PSO to different systems that the different revisions would show some individuality at some point. Maybe give GC an extra class, or Xbox a new level. Hell different costumes maybe? It's like PSO was never actually finished, so instead of waiting to envelope all the changes into one final product, they keep adding on. "Oh look here's the new PSO for PS2, It's IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL but this time you can map ONE MORE KEY!!"
I really wish they would just stop, say "ok we're done with this iteration of PSO" and work on the BRAND freakin new one. I am not amused at Sega Team's blatant use of a cash cow and their misleading advertisements about "new" features...
Please..

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 15, 2003, 10:17 PM
Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the loading times (This is between the GCN version and the JP XBOX version).

As for new items, maps, etc..Microsoft has made numerous claims of these items showing up sometime. However, major content downloads just wouldn't work.

If they do decide to implent some sort of addition, it'll be merely cosmetic changes (Something like Black and Neon Green mech guns, or a similarly colored outfit)

Blenjar
Apr 15, 2003, 10:40 PM
Another pointless argue over the game the day it came out!
People calm down.

Mumfo
Apr 15, 2003, 11:35 PM
On 2003-04-15 15:59, Kthak wrote:
Gamecube has the fastest loading times of all the cd/dvd based systems... only a cart system beats it. So PSOX will not load faster than PSO on GC.

STFU

Soukosa
Apr 16, 2003, 12:31 AM
the 5.1/480p improvement

The GC version supports Dolby Pro Logic II (for close to 5.1 sound) and progressive scan as well.