PDA

View Full Version : Need HTML help?

2Xtreme
Apr 15, 2003, 06:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I've noticed that there are often a lot of topics in this forum asking for HTML help with signatures and whatnot. In an effort to free up space, I am creating this thread. If you have any Java/HTML/DHTML/XML questions, I can probably help you.

If I'm not around, try private messaging LolipopLolita or SnAPPURU. They also know what they're doing and are always nice if you have a question.

So... need HTML help? Fire away!

no1
Apr 15, 2003, 08:23 PM
Hurah. Hope you can help. Java applet to start with.
How can I write a plain text file to a server? I just want to be able to say write what a user inputs into a text file from an applet. What do I need on the server side? Port information, user login? What do I need to do in the applet? I tried using sockets and PrintWrite but it doesn't work. I get a access denied sort of error. How do I stop this? Thanks for any help.

2Xtreme
Apr 15, 2003, 10:06 PM
Aw, crap. I have no experience with server side stuff. When I saw your question, I thought aboutsockets and printwrite, but if that doesn't work, then I'm not sure.

Sorry man... Java isn't my strength, especially things concerning servers. That's why I named this topic "Need HTML help?". http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

no1
Apr 16, 2003, 08:43 AM
No biggy. But you said you MIGHT be able to help with Java so I asked. My biggy. [godfather voice] forget about it. hehehe

JubeiSR
Apr 18, 2003, 07:41 PM
Yo man umm I Don't understand all that stuff that you guys just said. could you like talk in lamen terms? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Muku6
Apr 18, 2003, 08:43 PM
Just starting to dig into Java, so can't add any expertise into that or the XHTML or anything; however, I can help on HTML. So, if anyone wants to give me a buzz for help, that's fine.

Sheik1
Apr 19, 2003, 01:19 AM
If you can POST to the server using a form then the server can run some sort of script...like PSOworld...to do something with the POSTed data like store it in a database...like PSOworld again...or a text file.

I do not know what PSOworld is using...I am not familiar with .PHP files.

I am VERY familiar with ASP (active server pages) and VBscript (server side). You will need either a Win2000 server or "Personal Web Server" to take advantage of the VBscript (server side).

I use that with MANY web sites I have made. You can look at this one at http://www.drassal.net/athletics .

This is a web site that I made many years ago that runs off a MS Access database and ASP. Quite neat actually.

If you want to see more of the administrative features in it then PM or email me (email I will most likely get faster) and I will give you a admin pass for it. You can mess with the data all you want, the site is not live...not in use any longer.

Virtually any data you see on that web site can be edited online by logging in. It all used POST and GET forms to do all the work...then the server has a server-side script that runs and responds to the POSTs and GETs.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 19, 2003, 12:52 PM
You'd need a server that can accept scripting. I used a cgi perl script on the server with flash 5 as the client, when I wanted to save a simple database to a .txt file. Adelphia doesn't allow perl, so I'm screwed ;3

Oh, and I'm one of the worst people to ask for help =^_^= All I do is meow at people and then block them =._.=