PDA

View Full Version : When should I start doing TACOs?

manthisis
May 3, 2014, 09:12 PM
Level 20 ATM, ranger, should I continue to just level doing the planet-unlocking + Koffie's COs (btw, is this the fastest way to level?) or should I start perhaps N/H TACOs?

Also, is there any like knowledge/mechanics you should know before doing TACOs?

Vetur
May 3, 2014, 09:28 PM
I think you should be fine to start learning Normal TACOs, but the hard ones are quite a bit harder than normal, and even on my level 45-50 characters the monsters don't really die that fast(by fast, I mean I can't one-hit KO them)... and the bosses hurt, but I guess that depends if you are ok with that and/or don't have a problem finding parties.

Just be sure that you let everyone in your party know that you are new to them and see if they agree to teach you the routes/switches.

One of the worse mistakes is from Lilippa's TA in the second area, where there are 2 switches you step on, but once you do, they only last a short while before permanently disabling the new switches they just activated, so there is a certain 2 ways to do this either solo or in a party. So you definitely want someone to walk you through that if you can. Using the map and text directions alone will not really give you the hands-on experience you need to know what is what and where is where.

There are also those exploding barrels of death, which can potentially one-hit KO level 65s in low level TAs too... I've seen it myself. So if you ever see those barrels, take caution. If it lights up, dodge away ASAP.
Not to mention the sensor bars of death in area 2, if you're on a harder mode those can give you a torturous death. >_<

Here is one site that shows directions and maps, but I suggest watching videos while you study these, so you can know what they actually look like in-game. Really the best learning experience would be to have someone you can follow and explain the switches and stuff.

http://ohpso2.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Attacks

PS: It might be a good idea to unlock more places as well, at least up til you unlock Sanctum/Dragon Altar, then you will be able to get 5 normal TAs a day, and once you unlock more difficulties, you will get all of them.

manthisis
May 3, 2014, 11:43 PM
So I just did my first TA, the normal 1st one you can do, and got 30k Meseta. I didn't get taught about what to do, they kinda just let me come along.

Are most people nice enough to teach you how to do the TA's or will most people kick/ignore you?

infiniteeverlasting
May 3, 2014, 11:46 PM
So I just did my first TA, the normal 1st one you can do, and got 30k Meseta. I didn't get taught about what to do, they kinda just let me come along.

Are most people nice enough to teach you how to do the TA's or will most people kick/ignore you?

TACOs are easy enough for you to figure it out by yourself, there isnt much to it. its the same map, same enemies, same spawns, same everything every single time. i've soloed through the whole game thus far without any problems. didn't get anybody to play with until i reached level 65 on both my classes.

manthisis
May 3, 2014, 11:48 PM
TACOs are easy enough for you to figure it out by yourself, there isnt much to it. its the same map, same enemies, same spawns, same everything every single time. i've soloed through the whole game thus far without any problems. didn't get anybody to play with until i reached level 65 on both my classes.

Oh, didn't realize that TACOs were able to be solo'd. Is there like a specific level you should be before trying to solo TACOs (respectively for N, H, VH)?

I've always been a player who like to do things on his own so...

infiniteeverlasting
May 3, 2014, 11:51 PM
Oh, didn't realize that TACOs were able to be solo'd. Is there like a specific level you should be before trying to solo TACOs?

I've always been a player who like to do things on his own so...

lol not really... all depends on your skill tbh. Time attack quests weren't made to be soloed, so soloing a TACO wasn't sega's intention, but you can still do it (if you can). I just had no one to play with so i polished my skills instead to obliterate enemies by myself at a 4 man party rate. Soloing your TACOs will definitely make you a better player later on in SH mode when other players who are too reliant on party members scramble to catch up to your skill level.

manthisis
May 3, 2014, 11:58 PM
lol not really... all depends on your skill tbh. Time attack quests weren't made to be soloed, so soloing a TACO wasn't sega's intention, but you can still do it (if you can). I just had no one to play with so i polished my skills instead to obliterate enemies by myself at a 4 man party rate. Soloing your TACOs will definitely make you a better player later on in SH mode when other players who are too reliant on party members scramble to catch up to your skill level.

So, hypothetically, if I had a decent amount of skill, I could do like a H TACO at level 21 or so?

infiniteeverlasting
May 4, 2014, 12:04 AM
So, hypothetically, if I had a decent amount of skill, I could do like a H TACO at level 21 or so?

Try it, if you die, then wait until you level your sub up as well. Tacos are more of an SH thing tho, you should worry more about leveling first, taco runs don't give much exp, instead, wait for the scheduled eqs and do those instead.

NexusAZ
May 4, 2014, 12:10 AM
Try it, if you die, then wait until you level your sub up as well. Tacos are more of an SH thing tho, you should worry more about leveling first, taco runs don't give much exp, instead, wait for the scheduled eqs and do those instead.

Tacos can be done effectively even if you aren't at end-game. They may take longer, but they can still be handled no problem. TACOs are a once a day thing, so it's not as if they're a huge consumption of time. They can easily between in-between grinding sessions and are still a source of exp. While it isn't the greatest, it's not as if they won't be gaining any.

Definitely check out some video tutorials on Youtube and get a good grasp for them. Feel free to do practice runs every now and then as well. The money won't serve it's greatest purpose until later in the game, but it can still be used to better equip yourself until then. You can put it towards cosmetic stuff if you so desire.

infiniteeverlasting
May 4, 2014, 12:14 AM
Yes video tutorials help a ton^ that's really something I forgot to say about tacos. Watch how the pro 4 minute soloers do their little thing.

Vetur
May 4, 2014, 04:08 AM
I don't think anyone will kick you, unless they are extremely elitist, but even elitists would just go about doing it their own way if they have to. Most of the high levels I party with are so much quicker than me that I end up just trailing behind as they nearly solo the place. They just wanna get it over with quickly.
Kicking someone after starting the TA would not do any good unless they are purposely messing it up by griefing or trolling, or if the leader has some personal thing against you.
From my experience, the majority of random Japanese people are polite and/or friendly enough to not judge others by their game skills if they too are polite/friendly.

Actually, I have never met any unfriendly Japanese through TAs. The worse that has ever happened was that one person asked if we could do SH before we started, and because I was under level 50 I couldn't, so they said "Sorry" and left. If you ask me, that's probably as polite as they could get.

But, even if nobody kicks you, it's best to keep up the effort to keep learning, at least out of courtesy.
If they are Japanese players, be sure you are properly greeting and thanking them.

Oh, one tip is that you should see if there's any PAs or Techs you can use to travel faster than running speed(usually the "gap closers" like Asagiri Rendan, Regenschlag, or Il Zonde, etc). If you have certain weapons like knuckles, you can move fast with those without using PP, if you are willing to repetitively mash the attack and dash keys.

WildarmsRE5
May 4, 2014, 04:31 AM
^ this isn't the case on Ship 2.

I was doing H TA on B-27 with a random JP player, a lvl 30 joined.

that lvl 30 was slow, and seemed like a newbie.

she was late in 2 of our TAs, on Lilipa. still at area 1 while we are almost done at A2. insta kick.

I felt sorry.

Vetur
May 4, 2014, 04:35 AM
^ this isn't the case on Ship 2.

I was doing H TA on B-27 with a random JP player, a lvl 30 joined.

that lvl 30 was slow, and seemed like a newbie.

she was late in 2 of our TAs, on Lilipa. still at area 1 while we are almost done at A2. insta kick.

I felt sorry.

Oh, that is sad to hear. :(
I guess since I'm on ship 9 and finding a party is so slow(especially during USA's daytime) even with randoms, they just don't kick here.

Macman
May 4, 2014, 05:20 PM
I don't kick people, and I try to help teach them all the secrets of nab1/lillipa.
Helping people means more TA buddies for me later on which means more meseta.

Vetur
May 5, 2014, 12:29 AM
I don't kick people, and I try to help teach them all the secrets of nab1/lillipa.
Helping people means more TA buddies for me later on which means more meseta.

That's true, especially in ship 9 where you sometimes run into the same people you TA'ed with before, or those you friended from previous TAs will ask for parties with you. Even though I'm not fast, it seems to be a semi-regular thing. I guess they care more about having fun and making friends, than "getting it over with" lol. Often when I see a newbie in TAs, the high levels make a good effort to show them the ropes and help them in their Nab 2 boss fight.
Even today, when one party member disconnected(one who is new to TAs), we pretty much waited for her to come back before continuing the TAs. We didn't know her previously, but eventually friended her after. XD

It's a really nice thing, and in some ways beautiful to see how much a new player can grow in a quick amount of time after you taught them.
It's also a great way to make friends if you find those you are TAing with are in it for more than just quick money or you click with some interesting conversation.