PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

.Rusty.
May 7, 2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5690692/pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-trailer-nintendo-3ds

strikerhunter
May 7, 2014, 10:20 AM
Doesn't seem legit enough for me even though I want the remakes badly.

Ezodagrom
May 7, 2014, 10:36 AM
Doesn't seem legit enough for me even though I want the remakes badly.
Pokemon's official website:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-omega-ruby-and-pokemon-alpha-sapphire/

strikerhunter
May 7, 2014, 10:41 AM
Now that's much better, wasn't believing at first due to possible fake as you know how easy it can be to create a fake video.

Goddamit now I must really get the DS before the end of the year too many of my fav games been coming out on it lately when it was originally from another system.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 7, 2014, 11:48 AM
First games I'm skipping
Never liked third gen

DJcooltrainer
May 7, 2014, 03:00 PM
First games I'm skipping
Never liked third gen

What's not to like? It was the 1st games they did natures, the current system of IV's/EV's, abilities, and pretty much all of the groundwork for modern competitive Pokemon. It was pretty mind blowing when it first came out. Awesome themed towns, plenty of cool new 'mons, secret bases, much more in-depth story, etc. I'm pretty excited for it. Gen III has always been my personal favorite.

Norco
May 7, 2014, 03:20 PM
Best storyline (If you go by Emerald), best rival and cool starters imo. Oh man I cannot wait! :D

I would love if they made Deoxys catchable in these.

Outrider
May 7, 2014, 03:55 PM
I think the interesting thing here is that this is the first Pokemon remake in which it's actually still possible to catch Pokemon and transfer to the current generation from the original game.

You can still play Ruby/Sapphire and bring those Pokemon up to Generation VI. Arguably, one of the reasons they remade Red/Blue and Gold/Silver is because there was no way to get those Pokemon into the later games. This changes that dynamic.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 7, 2014, 04:48 PM
What's not to like? It was the 1st games they did natures, the current system of IV's/EV's, abilities, and pretty much all of the groundwork for modern competitive Pokemon. It was pretty mind blowing when it first came out.
I'm refering to Hoenn when I talk about third gen. The generation itself brought a lot of things, but Hoenn itself was just so...boring

BIG OLAF
May 7, 2014, 05:39 PM
Third Gen was my favorite. Favorite region, favorite Pokemon, favorite characters. Fuck yes. This was long overdue.

Sinue_v2
May 7, 2014, 06:07 PM
Never liked Pokemon. Still, I'm surprised they're still working on these stand-alone titles rather than focusing development on an online MORPG/MMORPG for the WiiU to help shore up tanking sales.

.Rusty.
May 7, 2014, 06:07 PM
I think the interesting thing here is that this is the first Pokemon remake in which it's actually still possible to catch Pokemon and transfer to the current generation from the original game.

You can still play Ruby/Sapphire and bring those Pokemon up to Generation VI. Arguably, one of the reasons they remade Red/Blue and Gold/Silver is because there was no way to get those Pokemon into the later games. This changes that dynamic.

So now you can take a pokemon from the original game and use it in the remake :wacko:

Zysets
May 7, 2014, 06:17 PM
I still own Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Heart Gold, both Black and Black 2, and Y, So I just need to get me an original DS again and I can transfer my current Emerald team to Omega Ruby, which is the version I plan to get. That's really cool, but the process will be very tedious and ridiculously long, so in the long run, that has no point.

DJcooltrainer
May 7, 2014, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I kinda feel like a fool for taking the time for transferring everything from my Emerald and Fire Red games up to Pokebank. It was incredibly time consuming, but at the same time it's kind of awesome to have Pokemon I can play with that I raised 10 years ago.

strikerhunter
May 7, 2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I kinda feel like a fool for taking the time for transferring everything from my Emerald and Fire Red games up to Pokebank. It was incredibly time consuming, but at the same time it's kind of awesome to have Pokemon I can play with that I raised 10 years ago.

This something I wished I could had done before losing my copy of all 3 games from Gen 3.

R.I.P. Jetty the Feraligatr (originally transferred from Gold) and Mups the Swampert.

Never liked Pokemon. Still, I'm surprised they're still working on these stand-alone titles rather than focusing development on an online MORPG/MMORPG for the WiiU to help shore up tanking sales.

I've heard about a fan made project funded by a kick starter working on a MMORPG Pokemon game. As much as I want it to happen, I think Pokemon itself just doesn't fit too well as a MMORPG for too many reasons.

Freshellent
May 7, 2014, 07:04 PM
Glad I never jumped on Pokebank then.

While I greatly enjoyed this current gen I'm very much looking forward to this one. There's something... missing. A lot missing, actually. The tone was almost too happy for me? If that makes any sense.

Hopefully they make some serious adjustments to the UI/Menus and keep everything that was good in the first place with X/Y.

Sinue_v2
May 7, 2014, 08:39 PM
I've heard about a fan made project funded by a kick starter working on a MMORPG Pokemon game. As much as I want it to happen, I think Pokemon itself just doesn't fit too well as a MMORPG for too many reasons.

You're probably right, but knowing Nintendo, it at least wouldn't be absolute shit. They'd find a way to make it work somehow, and I'm willing to bet it'd be a hell of a lot more consumer friendly than most online RPGs. They wouldn't have to make it great... just baseline competent, and Pokemon, and it will print money for them.

ZER0 DX
May 7, 2014, 10:57 PM
Never cared for Hoenn. Maybe I'll like it better as a 3D world but originally the region was too boring with way too much water, and I always hated water routes in Pokemon games. It also suffered from the terrible GBA trumpets for the music, removed the day & night system GSC introduced, it only had a few Pokemon I liked, rival was terrible (both of them), criminal team's plot was dumb, nothing was memorable about it at all, etc.

I think the only thing I actually liked about Hoenn was the secret bases. Granted, a lot of the major issues I had with it can be fixed with the remakes aside from the water water everywhere. 3DS is capable of much more advanced music so no more of those terrible trumpets, time transitions are most likely going to be put in this time since it's officially a staple, and I can pokebank my favorite pokemon over so it's not a total loss with the lack of likable pokemon. I really hope we'll still be able to customize our trainer the way we want though, I didn't particularly care for their original designs and their Emerald designs were just atrocious.

My biggest problem is that I just did not like the Hoenn region aesthetically at all. What wasn't water was nothing but boring mountains, rocks, sand, and terribly designed caves. You got only a couple likeable grassy routes and that was it. If they can flesh out the place more in a 3D world then great, but I'm not expecting much to change.

I'd have much preferred a Johto or Kanto remake in the style of XY but what can you do. Those already got remade and unfortunately they happened to be before the 3D era of Pokemon. Maybe we'll see Burning Fire Red and Budding Leaf Green or Shining Soul Silver and Gleaming Heart Gold someday but I'm not holding my breath for it. I would still much prefer it over any Hoenn remake any day.

That said, I'll be playing Omega Ruby with low expectations but hopefully it'll surprise me. Here's hoping Z or Gen 7 comes out sometime soon.

Vetur
May 8, 2014, 04:51 AM
Hoenn's my favorite region in Pokemon games. I think it probably was one of the biggest change in the earlier Pokemon games too.
It upgraded the graphic style to be smoother, and I liked how there were more distinct geographical differences in the towns and such. And can't forget about that secret base system, that was really awesome being able to decorate your own place wherever you chose to live. Also introduced some of my current favorite Pokemon(Ralts family, Swablu family, etc).
I also liked the nature system, before I knew it affected stats.

I am curious about how they will make this, like if it will be in the 3D style that X and Y was. I'd like that honestly, since it'd be a refreshing change and give a pretty new view that we couldn't get in the original. Also hoping they add in character customization like X and Y, but wondering if that's asking too much... >_>

DJcooltrainer
May 8, 2014, 07:17 AM
If there's no secret bases, I'm going to be pissed. That was my favorite feature on the GBA games. So many hour spent grinding against my friends' level 100 teams.

CupOfCoffee
May 8, 2014, 09:42 AM
Gen 3 never quite clicked for me. "Wally" seemed to epitomize the the series' general shift away from Red and Blue's themes of genetic experimentation and the the dubious moral integrity of basically all the adults in the world—instead of there being a proper rival, Gen 3 gave you a pair of them that both sucked. The unchosen player character was friendly and low-stakes compared to Gary Oak and the asshole from Gold and Silver, and Wally was just a sickly little wuss that you had to babysit and coddle and who never seemed to have a chance in hell of ever winning any battles at all, especially against you. All the magic seemed to have left the Pokemon world. Hoenn was a boring waterlogged mess, nighttime was mysteriously missing, the still-iconic-in-2014 Team Rocket was written out in favor of some generic new bad guys that were pretty much just Team Rocket with stupider names, all that shitty trumpet music had me usually playing with the sound completely off, and G/S's surprise revisitation of Kanto at the end of the game had me expecting a Johto vaca at the end of Hoenn—which never happened. It was the first time a Pokemon game surprised me in a bad way, and unfortunately, despite the good things Gen 3 also introduced, the disappointment is what I remember most.

It's not like $40 is too much to spend on a video game, but I don't think I'd be dying to play Ruby and Sapphire again, even if I hadn't sold my 3DS. I kind of wish Pokemon could either retire or successfully reboot. These days the series is starting to feel like a Genesis console with both the CD and 32X addons, four or five copies of Sonic & Knuckles stacked up, a Game Genie on top of that, and finally Sonic 3 swaying in the breeze at the very top.

Outrider
May 8, 2014, 09:53 AM
Kat Bailey wrote a fun article speculating what Game Freak might add to the remakes:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/five-features-to-expect-from-the-pokmon-ruby-and-sapphire-remakes

I agree that Secret Bases could be pretty bonkers if tied into Street Pass.

Gardios
May 8, 2014, 11:58 AM
Gen III is my favourite gen of all. I'm so happy this is finally happening...!

yoshiblue
May 8, 2014, 12:14 PM
Personally, I feel Diamond and Pearl were the weakest of the entries but then I remember things. I liked some of the areas and music in the game. So in the end it wasn't even bad.

I do oddly want to see a remake of Hey You Pikachu and Pokemon Snap.

Outrider
May 8, 2014, 12:31 PM
I would love more Pokemon Snap. The first game is just so completely weird and charming and did a lot to make the Pokemon world feel a little more like a living, breathing ecosystem.

Gardios
May 8, 2014, 12:36 PM
Closest we got to Hey You Pikachu was Pokémon Channel, and that didn't sell so well...

Vintasticvin
May 8, 2014, 01:11 PM
So are the Hoenn Confirmed comments going to die out? And hoenn was awesome I dunno what some of y'all be drinking

DJcooltrainer
May 8, 2014, 01:43 PM
SINNOH CONFIRMED is the new thing now. As much as I love Gen III, I hope that this is the last re-make the do for awhile. I re-make of Gen IV on the 3DS would be asinine, since you can still play it on a brand new 3DS.

But, with the shutdown of the DS/Wii Nintendo WiFi Connection service in a few days... it might actually be a thing sometime in the future. Personally, I'd almost rather have eShop versions.

Outrider
May 8, 2014, 02:32 PM
The problem with eShop versions of the games is that to the best of my knowledge they wouldn't have link-cable functionality. A Pokemon game without trading or peer-to-peer battling is kind of missing the point.

Still, if they released the Pokemon games on the eShop I'd still probably guy them just for the hell of it even without the ability to trade and battle. I never did that all that much anyway (which mean, yes, I was kind of missing the point.)

NoiseHERO
May 8, 2014, 04:09 PM
Never cared for Hoenn. Maybe I'll like it better as a 3D world but originally the region was too boring with way too much water, and I always hated water routes in Pokemon games. It also suffered from the terrible GBA trumpets for the music, removed the day & night system GSC introduced, it only had a few Pokemon I liked, rival was terrible (both of them), criminal team's plot was dumb, nothing was memorable about it at all, etc.

Hoenn is around the middle interms of favorite to least favorite but pretty much this.

Except I don't mind the watery setting. But I don't think I'll care for trumpet spam even with better sound quality. Mostly definitely mad that this gen took out day/night though. And I've definitely played all three gen3 games to death because that's when I got the best chance to enjoy the series. (since I kinda sucked at reading in gen1 and in gen2 my house got robbed and never got another pokemon game till gen3.)

Anyhow playing with the acro bike, diving, adding day/night cycle to this pretty region which we're assuming will now be in fully 3D and being able to make a gen3ish team to bring into the battle field should spice things up enough for another replay. I'm a little sick of hearing about gen1 and gen2 all the time anyway... At least till I'll have to mute those trumpets.

Vintasticvin
May 8, 2014, 05:11 PM
Hoenn is around the middle interms of favorite to least favorite but pretty much this.

Except I don't mind the watery setting. But I don't think I'll care for trumpet spam even with better sound quality. Mostly definitely mad that this gen took out day/night though. And I've definitely played all three gen3 games to death because that's when I got the best chance to enjoy the series. (since I kinda sucked at reading in gen1 and in gen2 my house got robbed and never got another pokemon game till gen3.)

Anyhow playing with the acro bike, diving, adding day/night cycle to this pretty region which we're assuming will now be in fully 3D and being able to make a gen3ish team to bring into the battle field should spice things up enough for another replay. I'm a little sick of hearing about gen1 and gen2 all the time anyway... At least till I'll have to mute those trumpets.

Gen 3, the most fun I truly had in Pokemon.

AlexCraig
May 8, 2014, 05:16 PM
When Gen 3 first came out, I skipped it. I was an old school trainer from the days of Red and Blue. I didn't get back into Pokemon until Diamond and Pearl. And I regret ever having left, and I have stuck to it ever since. So I plan to get Alpha Sapphire as soon as I am able.

-Crokar-
May 8, 2014, 10:58 PM
These days the series is starting to feel like a Genesis console with both the CD and 32X addons, four or five copies of Sonic & Knuckles stacked up, a Game Genie on top of that, and finally Sonic 3 swaying in the breeze at the very top.

give me a week and ill make that happen...

im getting sapphire again and hopefully its decent...

gigawuts
May 8, 2014, 11:07 PM
Gen 3 had too many weird additions and pokemon that look like rubber for my tastes. Or maybe that was gen 4...or both. I played gen 3 because I thought I was supposed to like it, but didn't really realize I didn't. Gen 4 is the only one where I got so bored that I put it down and actually forgot I even bought the game.

Gen 5 and 6 are the bees knees though, so a remake of gen 3 in the gen 6 style has me torn. I might try it, I might not.

Vetur
May 8, 2014, 11:49 PM
Closest we got to Hey You Pikachu was Pokémon Channel, and that didn't sell so well...

Ohh, I remember those two games. XD
I liked both, but definitely preferred Hey You Pikachu since it allowed more freedom of movement and let you pick things up, allowing for some funny moments. Oddly, I found the Pikachu in it was cuter too.

I think my favorite of all would have to be when Pikachu would innocently toss random brown things with stink-lines at you from out of nowhere, and when you looked at the description of one, it would describe it vaguely with "What on earth is this?"...

Norco
May 9, 2014, 09:42 AM
So according to serebii.net we will get to see some footage of these games on Sunday.

DJcooltrainer
May 9, 2014, 10:08 AM
Gen 3 had too many weird additions and pokemon that look like rubber for my tastes. Or maybe that was gen 4...or both. I played gen 3 because I thought I was supposed to like it, but didn't really realize I didn't. Gen 4 is the only one where I got so bored that I put it down and actually forgot I even bought the game.

Gen 5 and 6 are the bees knees though, so a remake of gen 3 in the gen 6 style has me torn. I might try it, I might not.

Most of those 'weird additions' are what we have come to know as competitive Pokemon, though. It really pushed for more strategic elements for competitive multiplayer.

Also, Pokemon that look like rubber always makes me laugh. I think people lose perspective of how terrible some Gen I and II Pokemon were because of nostalgia glasses. Let's take a look at a few examples:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/pokemon-blue-version/d/dd/Ditto.gif
So here we've got a blob of weird rubbery stuff. Cool design, I guess?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8bOhq76QnuPOftH-zjo7OyGgzuMwgUYk3HLDT3SIxvU5rY1g6BwZgSwE
Uhh, at least it's cute I guess? Maybe it has a neat evoltio-....

http://assets7.pokemon.com/static2/_ui/img/pokedex/full//051.png
Oh...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzRbdUwh_FjxBbFXUI8FoqDSdC_oH3F xtVWjgyYk1YYK0tDM7lHOwxkHo
WTF is this, a Pokeball? Well maybe THIS one has a cool evolutio-...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrLpTIe5U2u40SSlw-5W2CT4iUPMLWEJ5tiU1McMU1QnqMDqtWE0qn-A
Oh... nevermind...

http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/pineco.jpg
Sweet, a pinecone with eyes. Awesome.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110416022432/pokemon/images/5/52/Mr.Mime.png
Uhhh. Let's just pretend I didn't see that.

And don't get me started on these weird alphabet dudes:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpXP3xaxJBZqGOZqArkJUNYRrtI9WTO jrsQPGOR-FbYUv8yw903_vmHa0

Gen I and II had plenty of terrible, unoriginal, and ugly designs. I think we just tend to overlook them because of the nostalgia :P

gigawuts
May 9, 2014, 10:19 AM
Most of those 'weird additions' are what we have come to know as competitive Pokemon, though. It really pushed for more strategic elements for competitive multiplayer.

Also, Pokemon that look like rubber always makes me laugh. I think people lose perspective of how terrible some Gen I and II Pokemon were because of nostalgia glasses. Let's take a look at a few examples:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/pokemon-blue-version/d/dd/Ditto.gif
So here we've got a blob of weird rubbery stuff. Cool design, I guess?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8bOhq76QnuPOftH-zjo7OyGgzuMwgUYk3HLDT3SIxvU5rY1g6BwZgSwE
Uhh, at least it's cute I guess? Maybe it has a neat evoltio-....

http://assets7.pokemon.com/static2/_ui/img/pokedex/full//051.png
Oh...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzRbdUwh_FjxBbFXUI8FoqDSdC_oH3F xtVWjgyYk1YYK0tDM7lHOwxkHo
WTF is this, a Pokeball? Well maybe THIS one has a cool evolutio-...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrLpTIe5U2u40SSlw-5W2CT4iUPMLWEJ5tiU1McMU1QnqMDqtWE0qn-A
Oh... nevermind...

http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/pineco.jpg
Sweet, a pinecone with eyes. Awesome.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110416022432/pokemon/images/5/52/Mr.Mime.png
Uhhh. Let's just pretend I didn't see that.

And don't get me started on these weird alphabet dudes:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpXP3xaxJBZqGOZqArkJUNYRrtI9WTO jrsQPGOR-FbYUv8yw903_vmHa0

Gen I and II had plenty of terrible, unoriginal, and ugly designs. I think we just tend to overlook them because of the nostalgia :P

Any time you don't leave a note specifically stating you're aware other generations had rubber pokemon that one guy always has to show up and go "RIGHT BUT VOLTORB AND DITTO AND MR MIME AND YOU DIDN'T SAY YOU DISLIKED THE RUBBER POKEMON IN GEN 1 SO THAT AUTOMATICALLY MEANS YOU'RE BEING NOSTALGIC AND LOSING PERSPECTIVE."

I wanted to see how many posts it would take. Three is a lot more than I figured. Actually, I figured Outrider would show up within 10 minutes to do his tired old contrarian shtick.

Where in that post did I mention I loved every design in gens 1 &2? If you can find it, highlight it for me; I can't find it and I don't remember saying it. Hint: I don't like any of those pokemon designs either; it's just there's a higher proportion of rubbermon in gens 3 & 4 than 1, 2, 5, & 6. Every second fucking pokemon was some hideous and uninspired assortment of pastel rubber pieces like Electrike or Plusle/Minun (Oh man weren't those gems of clever design).

So the next time you feel like mounting your horse and galloping to anti-nostalgic victory check to make sure the person you're kneejerking against is even being nostalgic in the first place. People finally cut that shit out regarding PS after so many years of keeping at it, but evidently the mindset never went away - they just ran out of faulty arguments to throw into posts after being shot down so many times.

DJcooltrainer
May 9, 2014, 10:27 AM
Whoa, someone's a little defensive today. I was just pointing out that there always has been, and always will be stupid and unoriginal Pokemon designs. It was in no way meant as a personal attack on you, man. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I meant no disrespect.

Perhaps I jumped to conclusions about your opinions, and for that, I apologize. Those are just a few examples of what I found to be bad character design from Gens I and II. I could point out a lot more.

Gen 3 is what I spent most of my prime video gaming years playing, with over 500 hours on my Sapphire game. Maybe I've just got a different perspective of the character designs than you do. I agree that Gen III also has its fair share of bad designs, as every generation has. I never felt that it was an worse or better when it came to rubbermons than any other generation of Pokemon games.

gigawuts
May 9, 2014, 10:36 AM
Whoa, someone's a little defensive today. I was just pointing out that there always has been, and always will be stupid and unoriginal Pokemon designs. It was in no way meant as a personal attack on you, man. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I meant no disrespect.

Perhaps I jumped to conclusions about your opinions, and for that, I apologize. Those are just a few examples of what I found to be bad character design from Gens I and II. I could point out a lot more.

Gen 3 is what I spent most of my prime video gaming years playing, with over 500 hours on my Sapphire game. Maybe I've just got a different perspective of the character designs than you do. I agree that Gen III also has its fair share of bad designs, as every generation has. I never felt that it was an worse or better when it came to rubbermons than any other generation of Pokemon games.

I've been reading "nostalgia" this and "nostalgia" that as an attack on anyone that someone disagrees with since PSU came out and people used it to attack anyone who disliked anything about it - beasts, lack of content, different environmental designs, a desire for unique weapons, anything at all. This is generally only used by people who weren't around earlier in a series, so resent perceived seniority whether the person thinks they have it or not. They feel that new is automatically better, and that the series is "good enough" with what's been taken out no matter how many people liked it, or better due to additions other people may not have wanted and don't care for.

It's a pretty tired, old, and fallacious way of throwing weight around frequently used by insecure manchildren who simply cannot say "You have a different opinion and I am okay with that," so I like to squash it whenever possible. I'm not saying you're like that, I just throw weight back at the argument. It did look a little like an overreaction.

DJcooltrainer
May 9, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've been reading "nostalgia" this and "nostalgia" that as an attack on anyone that someone disagrees with since PSU came out and people used it to attack anyone who disliked anything about it - beasts, lack of content, different environmental designs, a desire for unique weapons, anything at all. This is generally only used by people who weren't around earlier in a series, so resent perceived seniority whether the person thinks they have it or not. They feel that new is automatically better, and that the series is "good enough" with what's been taken out no matter how many people liked it, or better due to additions other people may not have wanted and don't care for.

It's a pretty tired, old, and fallacious way of throwing weight around frequently used by insecure manchildren who simply cannot say "You have a different opinion and I am okay with that," so I like to squash it whenever possible. I'm not saying you're like that, I just throw weight back at the argument. It did look a little like an overreaction.

I do think there is a certain amount of validity to the 'nostalgia glasses' argument, though. I hear a lot of people my age throw around ideas like: "Oh, the new Pokemon designs are absolutely terrible! They were so much more original when we were kids!" I just like to point out that there was terrible design then, and there's terrible design now.

I think our fond childhood memories do tend to alter our perception of things we used to enjoy.

gigawuts
May 9, 2014, 10:52 AM
I do think there is a certain amount of validity to the 'nostalgia glasses' argument, though. I hear a lot of people my age throw around ideas like: "Oh, the new Pokemon designs are absolutely terrible! They were so much more original when we were kids!" I just like to point out that there was terrible design then, and there's terrible design now.

I think our fond childhood memories do tend to alter our perception of things we used to enjoy.

For some, yes, but all it takes is a mild amount of effort to reevaluate things from a more objective standpoint. All the moreso if you never formed opinions regarding something in the first place.

Some people liking things from their childhood doesn't automatically mean we all like everything about what we did in our childhood. Nobody's nostalgic about getting the belt, for instance. Some aren't nostalgic about games they played. Something happening in our youth doesn't automatically mean we saw it from an inferior perspective. If some people were frustrated by something in a game in their youth, they don't automatically forget it just because it was in their youth. Some even remember things exactly as they were, however rare that may be.

Outrider
May 9, 2014, 12:22 PM
I wanted to see how many posts it would take. Three is a lot more than I figured. Actually, I figured Outrider would show up within 10 minutes to do his tired old contrarian shtick.

I'm flattered you can't stop thinking of me, but alas, I don't really have any strong feelings about Generation III.

Well, except that awful water route in the southeast of the continent. That place was the worst.

-Crokar-
May 9, 2014, 04:30 PM
I didn't mind gen 3 and I know its weird but I really enjoyed berry blending. that said I still think gold and silver where the best as they had the most content to me that was enjoyable. im still kinda exited for this remake as long as they don't change up too much

Outrider
May 9, 2014, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I'm still not sure anything has topped that feeling when you beat the Elite Four in Gold/Silver and then find out that the entire continent from the first game was waiting for you.

Randomness
May 9, 2014, 04:58 PM
All I want is the return of contests.

Best alternative battles ever.

-Crokar-
May 9, 2014, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I'm still not sure anything has topped that feeling when you beat the Elite Four in Gold/Silver and then find out that the entire continent from the first game was waiting for you.

exactly

gigawuts
May 9, 2014, 05:11 PM
I think that's about 35% of why GS were my favorite games. Not only is there an entire extra map, but you actually get to see what's happened there, without even being told this would happen. I had no idea, it was awesome.

Other major factors included the addition of two pretty cool new, game-changing types and better move selections for a few older types (bug types are worthwhile! it's like THREE new types are in the game!).

Then, lastly, the day/night cycle completely revolutionized the series for me, and was revolutionary for the platform it was on. Playing in the morning had incentives. Same with playing at night. I started looking forward to getting up for school, since it meant catching stuff I otherwise couldn't while I ate breakfast. No lies, I'm pretty nostalgic about a clock.

The bar was set kind of high for gen 3 after that, and it felt like more of the same, lots more of the same. I can't say that's a bad thing, Pokemon's strength has always been that it's more of the same, but the exact ways it went about being more of the same didn't really grab me. Gen 5 & 6 went about being more of the same in ways that did grab me, it reduced clutter and had designs I liked more. I guess that's all, really.

Which is why I'm torn on these games. They might sand down the edges I disliked in gen 3, but it might not since those were mechanics embedded fairly deep into the game.

Vetur
May 9, 2014, 07:14 PM

I totally agree with this. A lot of people don't actually take the time to compare and analyze the Pokemon designs from the earlier gens to the newer gens. Both have their fair share of ridiculous/uncreative designs and good designs.

Perhaps it is due to pessimistic way of thinking, that some may take the worst of it, and apply that to being the majority, rather than seeing the good things and applying that.

I wouldn't judge a whole generation of Pokemon on a few badly designed ones, because there have always been good designs in every generation, it's just a matter of looking through them and finding the ones you like. I've found several in every gen that I found myself adding to my list of universal favorites.

Honestly, of all the original 150 or 151 Pokemon, I think Jigglypuff is probably my only favorite of a top 5 list.

mctastee
May 10, 2014, 06:36 PM

I definitely agree with this. Every time someone says Gen 1 had the best designs I just direct them to the grimer and koffing evolution lines. Grimer is literally just a pile of toxic waste and wtf even is koffing. There was stupid pokemon designs even back then, but that doesn't mean they are all bad.

yoshiblue
May 10, 2014, 07:28 PM
Even so, their designs were interesting, imo. Save for Vanillite, I would have designed it's family tree to be different. Then again, its all in the eye of the beholder. I didn't like Geodude's design yet it grew on me coupled with the fact that I liked Golem. Maybe I like Vanillite because i'm a minimalist? Who knows?

Then again, I never liked Solosis's design yet for some reason am perfectly fine with Castform and all of it's variants.

strikerhunter
May 10, 2014, 09:12 PM
I definitely agree with this. Every time someone says Gen 1 had the best designs I just direct them to the grimer and koffing evolution lines. Grimer is literally just a pile of toxic waste and wtf even is koffing. There was stupid pokemon designs even back then, but that doesn't mean they are all bad.

People always refer back to Gen 1 because that was when they where little kids and Pokemon was all new so everything was mind blowing regardless of design, that along with the fact that video games where still young. As a franchise gets older the nostalgia grows and expectations goes off the the roof tops only to disappoint themselves. Long story short: Nostalgia, because everything along with series was new and was the reason why they came into the series.

If you ask me what Gen had the worst designs, imo and don't blat it out at me, that be Gen 5.

Edit: New Trailers (consider it a teaser I guess) came out earlier today and going to leave the link for those that have not seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swClzCENnI0

And a funny one that a said someone did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ZfEv_iWKE

gigawuts
May 10, 2014, 10:11 PM
People always refer back to Gen 1 because that was when they where little kids and Pokemon was all new so everything was mind blowing regardless of design, that along with the fact that video games where still young. As a franchise gets older the nostalgia grows and expectations goes off the the roof tops only to disappoint themselves. Long story short: Nostalgia, because everything along with series was new and was the reason why they came into the series.

Or it's possible that you just have a difference of opinion.

I'm not saying nostalgia doesn't exist, I'm saying it doesn't exist 100% of the time every time all the time - which would have to be true for how often it's called out (especially on this forum, and in this community).

I liked Half Life 1 better than Half Life 2. Straight up, I found the environments more compelling, I liked the NPCs more (seriously, yes, they seemed more normal and average), I liked the fact that Gordon was pretty much on his own the entire time, and I liked the new-ness of the series.

Sound nostalgic? I didn't play through HL1 until 3 years after beating HL2.

Differences of opinion, preferences between subtle changes that come and go as a series progresses, and the time in which the games are made all factor into things like this - it isn't always nostalgia, and you lot would do well to stop kneejerking your way to the key that automatically types out the word "nostalgia" for you.

You sell yourselves short every time you bandwagon onto tossing that term around like it's the only way to possibly describe the fact that people like things you didn't, especially considering you're exactly as anti-nostalgic for liking the older things less. Yep, you clearly just have fond memories of liking the series less in your youth, and thus refuse to see the truth. You're too biased to even be able to notice. Sound like a load of BS? That's what 99% of nostalgia claims are: a circular reasoning of telling someone they're in denial and when they deny it, you say their denial is evidence that they're in denial.

edit: Oh, and, by now we're well into the point where people can accuse gen 3 fans of being the nostalgic ones - a thing to remember.

Demon-
May 11, 2014, 08:01 AM
I actually liked the gen 3 games a lot, not as much as gen 1 but still I'd say it's my second favorite gen so I'm pretty stoked about this.

As far as designs go I think every gen has its fair share of stupid designs.

strikerhunter
May 11, 2014, 04:00 PM
Or it's possible that you just have a difference of opinion.

While yes it is my opinion, it's just one of the many reasons that I see as to why most prefer Gen 1 as a fav over others (only referring to those that played the franchise since the beginning).

You sell yourselves short every time you bandwagon onto tossing that term around like it's the only way to possibly describe the fact that people like things you didn't, especially considering you're exactly as anti-nostalgic for liking the older things less. Yep, you clearly just have fond memories of liking the series less in your youth, and thus refuse to see the truth. You're too biased to even be able to notice. Sound like a load of BS? That's what 99% of nostalgia claims are: a circular reasoning of telling someone they're in denial and when they deny it, you say their denial is evidence that they're in denial.

I'm not sure if this is directly at me or if I should take it as an insult.

gigawuts
May 11, 2014, 04:42 PM
While yes it is my opinion, it's just one of the many reasons that I see as to why most prefer Gen 1 as a fav over others (only referring to those that played the franchise since the beginning).
Sure it is, but the tone in which it's brought up, and with how it's brought up before anything else, renders it to be a completely dismissive and lazy way to shelf a person's opinion.

I'm not sure if this is directly at me or if I should take it as an insult.

It's up to you how you take it - how do you bring it up? People dogpile on using nostalgia as a way to ignore anyone who prefers older things in a game series - but who says someone is nostalgic for liking a musician's earlier work? Nobody. They just say they like different music, and that musicians change styles over the years.

What about liking earlier episodes of a long-lasting TV show? Anyone blurt out that you're nostalgic if you like Lost's early seasons, but not the later seasons and ending? You ever hear anyone shout out "NOSTALGIA!" when people say they liked early Simpsons episodes, but not the recent ones? Lost had 6 seasons over 6 years, sounds ridiculous to tell people they're being nostalgic over their childhood over a span of just 6 years, doesn't it? People new to PS with PSU insisted I was so nostalgic I couldn't even tell, over PSO1, in the time between 2003 and 2006. Three years.

In video games, without fail, if someone says they prefer the original or some of the earlier games - no matter how long ago these games were made - it's always "nostalgia" "nostalgia" "nostalgia," and always used to dismiss someone as simply being so biased they can't even tell. It's an unclever kneejerk response. You insult someone's intelligence when you tell them their opinion is warped by nostalgia and they shouldn't actually like the games as much as they think they do.

I started Pokemon in '98 with Pokemon Yellow. Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire came out in 2002. In just four years I'd already been so warped that I couldn't tell shit from cocaine. That's the idea behind "you're just being nostalgic." Then, somehow, I became un-nostalgic when I liked new designs again in 2010.

strikerhunter
May 11, 2014, 04:51 PM
It's up to you how you take it - how do you bring it up? People dogpile on using nostalgia as a way to ignore anyone who prefers older things in a game series - but who says someone is nostalgic for liking a musician's earlier work? Nobody. They just say they like different music, and that musicians change styles over the years.

What about liking earlier episodes of a long-lasting TV show? Anyone blurt out that you're nostalgic if you like Lost's early seasons, but not the later seasons and ending? You ever hear anyone shout out "NOSTALGIA!" when people say they liked early Simpsons episodes, but not the recent ones? Lost had 6 seasons over 6 years, sounds ridiculous to tell people they're being nostalgic over their childhood over a span of just 6 years, doesn't it? People new to PS with PSU insisted I was so nostalgic I couldn't even tell, over PSO1, in the time between 2003 and 2006. Three years.

In video games, without fail, if someone says they prefer the original or some of the earlier games - no matter how long ago these games were made - it's always "nostalgia" "nostalgia" "nostalgia," and always used to dismiss someone as simply being so biased they can't even tell. It's an unclever kneejerk response. You insult someone's intelligence when you tell them their opinion is warped by nostalgia and they shouldn't actually like the games as much as they think they do.

I started Pokemon in '98 with Pokemon Yellow. Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire came out in 2002. In just four years I'd already been so warped that I couldn't tell shit from cocaine. That's the idea behind "you're just being nostalgic." Then, somehow, I became un-nostalgic when I liked new designs again in 2010.

*shrugs* Meh, most of the time whenever I say/use the word Nostalgia it's usually referring to a person saying said game isn't the same as the older one in the franchise.

Not wanting to start up any argument here, but I'll say that I don't use Nostalgia as an insult or what you are saying (can't think up of the word for it).

gigawuts
May 11, 2014, 06:05 PM
But they're not the same. Games change over the course of their series to appeal to new audiences, and to otherwise just grow and evolve. The players who are already hooked will be buying the game because they liked the older ones, so while they clearly want to reinforce the existing fanbase the real aim is to attract new players. This is a big part of why games in a series change so significantly over the years. They add things, they remove things, they change things, they use subtly different artstyles; it's all part of a series' natural evolution.

So the only real difference between most people who prefer gen 1 and most people who prefer any other gen is which gen appeals to their personal tastes. All of the games are different in varying ways. One is some more of this, another is some more of that, so on and so forth. One is obviously going to appeal more to you than the others - but which one?

The thing is, there's no term people can haphazardly toss around to belittle the opinion of people who like the later games - the people who were uninterested in the early games but noticed the series after numerous alterations.

Vetur
May 11, 2014, 07:06 PM
Most of my friends who say they only like Gen 1 have only ever played/watched Gen 1.

gigawuts
May 11, 2014, 07:13 PM
Most of my friends who say they only like Gen 1 have only ever played/watched Gen 1.

What's that got to do with me, or anyone who's not an idiot?

Reiketsu
May 11, 2014, 07:22 PM
I never played Gen III. Until Pokémon Y last year, the original Silver was actually the last Pokémon game I played.

Silver was such a great game and I was such a huge Pokémon fan, but when Gen III was released I somehow didn't care for it. I dunno why, but I didn't like most of the new Pokémon designs and nothing I saw of the game in magazines and stuff really caught my interest. I didn't have the huge urge to buy it like I had with Blue and Silver.

I might get the remake though, since I really enjoyed Y and so many people are telling me III was the best Gen....

Mega Ultra Chicken
May 12, 2014, 12:01 AM
and so many people are telling me III was the best Gen....

Wait, what? Back in 4th Gen and possibly 5th Gen, people were calling 3rd Gen shit.

Vetur
May 12, 2014, 12:08 AM
What's that got to do with me, or anyone who's not an idiot?

I didn't say it was anything to do with you, it wasn't quoting you...
Just meant it add to the discussion in general, not a response to anyone here in particular.

More specifically I mean people who didn't play anything but gen I, like most people who only liked Pokemon when it was super popular amongst kids and everyone had to have blue/red or watch the anime, but no longer are into it.
I notice a lot(not all) of people who do criticize the new Pokemon are not actively playing the games anymore, but did when it was super popular/new.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2014, 03:06 AM
Ehn... I think all of the gen1 pokemon look kinda boring ESPECIALLY the starters... and gen 2 is really just THE REST of gen 1 isn't it? The only thing really saving them from seeming completely boring is that Gen2 is technically THE REST of gen1 with cyndaquil+ and totodile+ being a couple of my favorite starter designs. But all the gen 1 starters are ugly. Coming from someone who likes using ugly pokemon on purpose because they actually look like "monsters."

Either way, typical argument vs typical argument, people are sick of hearing both sides.

Also don't Repels work on those "annoying water routes"? I'm more bothered by the 200 pitch black caves I've had to walk through early in this series.

strikerhunter
May 12, 2014, 03:17 AM
Repels don't work on water routes? I thought they did?

Randomness
May 12, 2014, 05:54 AM
Repel works on all random encounters - slap a high level in front and waltz on through.

NoiseHERO
May 12, 2014, 06:24 AM
Repels don't work on water routes? I thought they did?

Yeah I was asking rhetorically <_>

If anything I'd probably never replay a Pokemon game ever again if it weren't for repels. Random encounters are an oldschool RPG idea I don't miss.

Vetur
May 12, 2014, 07:19 AM
Yeah I was asking rhetorically <_>

If anything I'd probably never replay a Pokemon game ever again if it weren't for repels. Random encounters are an oldschool RPG idea I don't miss.

Yeah I kind of wish they just let us press A while walking in the grass to force an encounter. Make it easier to both avoid AND find wild Pokemon. I remember spending hours just to find an uncommon(not rare or shiny) Pokemon... I don't think I can do that anymore now that I'm an impatient adult.

I remember even trying to play a few of the games with one rule in mind... "Never run from a wild battle", but that always failed about halfway through the game. :(

Randomness
May 12, 2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah I kind of wish they just let us press A while walking in the grass to force an encounter. Make it easier to both avoid AND find wild Pokemon. I remember spending hours just to find an uncommon(not rare or shiny) Pokemon... I don't think I can do that anymore now that I'm an impatient adult.

I remember even trying to play a few of the games with one rule in mind... "Never run from a wild battle", but that always failed about halfway through the game. :(

You can force battles. Sweet Scent (though in X/Y it forces horde battles).

Or have Sweet Scent in the lead, and get increased encounter rate.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 12, 2014, 10:40 AM
many people are telling me III was the best Gen....
those people are high

Akaimizu
May 12, 2014, 01:38 PM
Oddly enough. Gen 3 is precisely the Gen which I never actually played originally. I'll be one of those odd people for which this would be a rather new experience. At least the story-line part of it.

Vetur
May 13, 2014, 01:31 AM
Oddly enough. Gen 3 is precisely the Gen which I never actually played originally. I'll be one of those odd people for which this would be a rather new experience. At least the story-line part of it.

Haha that is just like me with Gen 2, so I did make sure to get the Heartgold/Soulsilver when that was new.
It definitely is nice to be able to get remakes for when you missed the original, assuming it isn't changed too much story-wise.

Nitro Vordex
May 13, 2014, 02:56 AM
I'm trying really hard to care about the remakes, but it's just not happening. Hell, I still have Pokemon Y sitting in my 3DS with only three badges. I gave that up to play Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies.

I had my fun with Diamond, but I think my Pokemon days are over.

Until we get a real time battle system, that is.

yoshiblue
May 13, 2014, 04:04 AM
Pokemon: Duodecim

Vetur
May 16, 2014, 11:00 AM
I'm trying really hard to care about the remakes, but it's just not happening. Hell, I still have Pokemon Y sitting in my 3DS with only three badges. I gave that up to play Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies.

I had my fun with Diamond, but I think my Pokemon days are over.

Until we get a real time battle system, that is.

I think I saw a fan-made game that had a real-time battle system and was in 3D, but don't know how it is now. Would be cool for real-time battles in an official game though.
Wait, isn't there one? I think it was a fairly new side game, but I can't remember.

DJcooltrainer
May 16, 2014, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't hold out too long if you're hoping for a real-time battle system. Nintendo isn't really know for straying away from gameplay elements that have been successful for them in the past.

Pokemon Conquest was kind of a fun new take, but it's still very much turn-based. I guess there's Rumble Arena... which is pretty awful.

A Pokemon action RPG would be kinda cool, if they could pull it off.

There's also that new "Band of Thieves vs 1000 Pokemon" eShop game coming out in Japan that looks somewhat interesting. Too bad it'll probably never be released elsewhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UlIqdqUaB14

yoshiblue
May 16, 2014, 02:11 PM
Closest thing we have to real time combat is Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Rumble and arguably when Pikachu got mad in Hey you Pikachu.

Angelo
May 21, 2014, 05:21 AM
The Gen 3 OST composition is sick as fuck. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

DJcooltrainer
May 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
I hope they didn't Nerf the trumpets.