PDA

View Full Version : XBL common sense

s3rial_one
Apr 16, 2003, 11:06 AM
It seems like every game played on XBL ought to have some sort of "common sense" section added to its instruction manual. Then again, no one actually reads those things...

I just wanted to start this thread to point out a few things people seem completely oblivious to, online, regarding XBL's voice feature.

First off, the mic has a mute button -- if you're talking to your friend or whoever's near you/on the phone, USE THE MUTE BUTTON! Believe me, we don't want to hear your conversation; it's mildly annoying and usually rather confusing.

...if anyone else has any pointers, post 'em here. =)

Math
Apr 16, 2003, 11:09 AM
Breath threw your nose not you mouth.I really hate that....

Riffin
Apr 16, 2003, 11:35 AM
I don't have the box, or obviously then XBL, but what if the person has a cold (like me) and can only breathe through mouth, that has to be acceptable then, just bc the person needs to breathe, right?

noirsenal
Apr 16, 2003, 11:37 AM
I'm going to play Arnold Scwarchanager(sp) quotes from Kindergarten Cop online.

"Who is your daddy, & what does he do?"

MarkXIII
Apr 16, 2003, 11:47 AM
Then just mute your f'n mic unless you absolutely have to talk. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif You probably pushed the buttons on your controller a few thousand times playing this game, pushing one more wont kill you.

I'll add, keep the voice mask OFF!

Riffin
Apr 16, 2003, 11:49 AM
O, it'll kill me alright... it'll kill me.... ahem. Hope the box version is as good as the GC version. I do often wish nintendo had something like XBL to talk with, but then again, I don't have the cash to pay for it anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Buuyon
Apr 16, 2003, 12:00 PM
I wouldt want a voice thing...all the 12 year olds would use it...and i hate my voice...

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 16, 2003, 12:06 PM
Avoid using voice masks and don't be a moron. I usually don't speak unless I need to. Good advice

Shrevn
Apr 16, 2003, 12:07 PM
I love talking in the XBL mic... its fun cause everybody who tries to "hate" or talk trash... has a voice mask so you know they sound like lil girls lOl
but really that breathing all up in the mic... its not nessesary... also if someone talks to you talk back its rude not to answer....

ABDUR101
Apr 16, 2003, 12:24 PM
No yelling, the headsets are directly next to the ear of everyone.

Speak so you are properly understood.

Let someone know if they are garbled/incoherent so they don't get mad if you don't reply.(Which results in more garbled and incoherent banter)

Try not to have people, TV's or loud music in the background that either keeps your voice mode on, or gets in the way of when you are trying to talk(You should'nt have to try and hear over a myriad of other sounds from someone else's end when they are trying to talk)

Watch what you say, because if you say something too offensive, you will most likely be reported for your actions.

A good thing to do, might be to learn to keep yourself muted until you ARE ready to talk. That way if you have others in the same house as you, they won't burst into the conversation or make an ass out of you.

Example: You're kicking ass in the game and leading the team onward, and then your spouse/mother/whatever steps into the room and tells you to get the hell outside/clean the cat litter/take out the garbage/any other thing that would make you feel like God made you two inches tall.

Yes, it's bound to happen, yes it's a daily routine that most people ignore when they get into their "game time" mode, but eventually, you're going to procrastinate until you piss someone off and they make an ass out of you.

...and now I'm going to go and do absolutely nothing.

LouisGB
Apr 16, 2003, 12:26 PM
yeah i hate fat kids on xbox live, you can hear there rate of breath increace as you whoup them on capcom vs snk.

to stop the breathing problems put the little black fluffy thing that comes with XBL on the mic (i lost mine, but im not fat and i breath through my nose so its ok)

saffaya
Apr 16, 2003, 04:37 PM
The mic is on a swivel, so you can adjust it in front, higher, or lower than your mouth , out of the way of breath flow.

ALPHAM0F0
Apr 16, 2003, 05:36 PM
saying things that are offensive, is a no-no

dont breath into the mic

and most importantly, talk for the love of god, talk

Shadowfan7
Apr 16, 2003, 11:23 PM
Is there anything in the game that will tell you someone is using the voice mask? Aside from the obvious.

Blenjar
Apr 16, 2003, 11:41 PM
On 2003-04-16 21:23, Shadowfan7 wrote:
Is there anything in the game that will tell you someone is using the voice mask? Aside from the obvious.

If your in a lobby, look left of a name of the person your suspectin' they speakin'. You'll see a volume thing going up & down.

Cex
Apr 17, 2003, 02:06 AM
One thing that kinda bugs me, and I'm not trying to be rude about it, is the high ass number of total noobs in PSOX. I understand we were all noobs at one point, but it seems as if there is more noobs than ever before, and they kinda bug me a bit. But I gotta admit, there is a high number of players on PSOX. I've been online today and seen over 1200 players total on all the ships combined. Good numbers for the game only being out a day or so.

staticlive
Apr 17, 2003, 02:35 AM
1200? and its only just came out... hopefully that number will increase soon, and that theres a high number in EU aswell

silvermax
Apr 17, 2003, 03:04 AM
Noob as in cant combo attacks noob?

Cex
Apr 17, 2003, 04:28 AM
Nah, noob as in needs everything described to them in the heat of battle, dosen't know their way around Pioneer 2 in either ep1 or ep2, seeing photon chairs for the first time and thinking it is the coolest thing since sliced bread, etc etc. Again, im not trying to be rude, but for someone who has played every US version of PSO(v1, v2, GC, Xbox), and the import of GC PSO, sometimes noobs bug me. But I guess its better to ask alot of questions than to not ask any at all...

Captain_Dude
Apr 17, 2003, 04:58 AM
On 2003-04-17 02:28, Cex wrote:
Nah, noob as in needs everything described to them in the heat of battle, dosen't know their way around Pioneer 2 in either ep1 or ep2, seeing photon chairs for the first time and thinking it is the coolest thing since sliced bread, etc etc. Again, im not trying to be rude, but for someone who has played every US version of PSO(v1, v2, GC, Xbox), and the import of GC PSO, sometimes noobs bug me. But I guess its better to ask alot of questions than to not ask any at all...

Heh, I'm a bit of a n00b like that... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
I'm one of those people who's never see beyond v.2 norm offline ruins!(Not even Falz yet) So I'm a little nervous and a little unfamilliar with stuff. But I think I'll get it.

Danderdag
Apr 17, 2003, 05:26 AM
Can't you adjust mic sensitivity in the XBL dashboard menu? I never have because my breathing doesn't register loudly enough to transmit, but I THINK there is a setting.
The mic is going to be awesome for this game, Even after playing on DC for years, I NEVER enjoyed having to switch from controller to keyboard, it was NEVER comfortable to me. Now I'll only have to use the KB in lobbies.

saffaya
Apr 17, 2003, 06:42 AM
On 2003-04-17 03:26, Danderdag wrote:
Can't you adjust mic sensitivity in the XBL dashboard menu? I never have because my breathing doesn't register loudly enough to transmit, but I THINK there is a setting.

Just lower or higher the mic so it isn't in the breath's path.

SkyHawkX
Apr 17, 2003, 03:09 PM
Reported for your actions? That's the most hilarious thing I've read today. The Feedback option serves NO purpose other than a false sense that you're safe from racists and other morons.

s3rial_one
Apr 17, 2003, 04:01 PM
I'm with Cex on the n00bs.

I fully understand that I was also a newbie at some point, and that every else has been, and sometimes need to ask questions, but some of these guys have been really obnoxious.

For example, yesterday morning I was doing heatsword runs with a friend; we were both level 6. A level 4 HUmar had joined the game just before the quest started, and decided to follow us around. No big deal, I think.

...that is, until he starts asking questions about everything he sees. "What's a monomate?", "What's a barrier do?", "I'm poor, I need hand-outs!", "Is a +3 saber better than a saber?" This kid must've been braindead. I remember at one point, my other teammate tried explaining the defensive attributes of a barrier. I forget how the exact exchange went, but suffice it to say that this idiot refused to equip the barrier because he couldn't grasp the concept that a barrier that only increased two of his stats was better than no barrier at all. This same guy was furious with us for refusing to resurrect him every time he died, failing to realize that it was a LOT cheaper for him to use a 50 maseta monomate than for us to use a 500 maseta moon atomizer. Yeah, we explained that to him, too, and he just didn't get it. And this wasn't some little 5 year old or anything; he had to at least have been past puberty.

THOSE are the kind of n00bs that piss me off. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

That, and the beggars... man, I've found so many beggars on PSOX (stupid beggers, too... people busy begging from people their own freaking level), I thought I'd been transported back to EverQuest.

...oh, yeah, one more thing: what's with all these wannabe-ghetto, self-proclaimed pimps? My main's a HUcasseal, and I've been hit on no less than 5 times, every time by some jackass HUmar or FOnewm with a 'fro and a name like "pimpmastah 69" or "darksoldjah" trying real hard to sound like whatever illiterate piece of guttertrash rapper is popular with the MTV crowd, but only succeeding in sounding like a socailly-akward 14 year-old.

So... in that vein, two more bits of common sense:

1. If you're ghetto, that's not a good thing; don't put your stupidity on display. If you aren't ghetto, really, you ought to be smacked around for wanting to be.

Corollary: Screaming "what up mah n****s?" upon entering a game doesn't make you cool, it makes you an ass.

2. Not everyone playing a female character actually is a female. If you're so horny and/or lonely that you need to hit on PSO characters... screw it. Just DON'T hit on PSO characters.

Long---Shot
Apr 17, 2003, 04:32 PM
damn s3rial u covereed just about everything i was gunna say lol. As a veteran of XBL (Beta tester) ive seen all these things happen and now with PSO the problems with very stupid n00bs is the same. Some of them i think just do it to piss ppl off but thats what the chat interface is for to mute those that are.

As for real noobs everybody has to start from somewhere. I know when i first started playing i had my friend show me how its done. It took a while but eventually i got it. If they are really being annoying tell them to go practice in offline mode before they come back.

I Use my mute button all the time. Infact i usually leave it on untill i need to speak. Works wonders to eliminate any possible BG noise (i like to play with volume Loud) or any other bodily noises.
I find the die hard PSO fans and XBL Vets do the same thing so its easy to tell who actually knows what theyre doing.

I like playing with ppl that are easy to talk to and use this kind of code of conduct even if they are a noob as long they are nice to me and the ppl im playing with.

Nidarrock
Apr 17, 2003, 04:46 PM
As for using the mute button. It depends on who I'm playing with. If I don't know them well I usually keep it muted and talk if they want some conversation. If I'm with some of my other Live friends I don't mute. They enjoy the banter that happens outside of the game. Usually between my wife and I. I have no idea if I breath heavy into the mic or not. I hope someone would tell me if I did. As for doing things in the lobby most players may not know what they are doing, if they skipped GC PSO. Asking about everything in the game can get annoying, but the manual for PSO sucked.

Coxy
Apr 17, 2003, 07:29 PM
Man, i remember being a n00b (god i hate writing like that, i was drug up proper and dont use talk like that) a long time ago and i had to learn everything on my own as i could only play offline. i picked up everything in under an hour, its not difficult, read the manual people! that is what its there for! By all means if you don't understand something then ask, but stupid questions just annoy people and do not make you friends quickly

Coxy

Kupi
Apr 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
Coxy, in that case you weren't a n00b. A n00b is pitifully (and often belligerently) stupid, whereas a newb (what you were at the time) is simply, as the term implies, new to the game. Newbs pass through that phase, n00bs take longer, some not even getting through it at all.

Blue147
Apr 17, 2003, 11:03 PM
Why is it called common sense,when so few people have it?

ABDUR101
Apr 18, 2003, 01:33 AM
On 2003-04-17 21:03, Blue147 wrote:
Why is it called common sense,when so few people have it?

Because supposedly everyone has it, unfortunately, there's a mix up between having it and actually taking advantage of it.

Everyone has common sense, but not many make use of it.

So sad, too bad, ohhhh weeelll.

Sheik1
Apr 18, 2003, 01:46 AM
I don't notice the n00bs at higher levels, but when I started my force character 'Sheik' (which is now a level 83) a couple of weeks ago I could not believe how many n00bs there are at the lower levels.

One other think I can not stand is BEGGERS!!! I understand if you corrupt or something and are REALLY looking for something you lost, but I hate the question "have anything for free?" or "Got anything good you can give me?" or to the same effect.

That is just plain annoying and I am too nice by not telling them to go flip off or something.

Coxy
Apr 18, 2003, 06:08 AM
thank you for the clarification Kupi http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

i think a lot of the time people beg because they have seen high level characters with, what they think of as awesome weapons, and they are either too lazy or they dont think that they can do the same. we just have to make them aware that they can

abrader
Apr 18, 2003, 12:59 PM
On 2003-04-17 00:06, Cex wrote:
I've been online today and seen over 1200 players total on all the ships combined.

Last night at about 12:00 AM EST midnight...I saw around 1500 total players on at one point.

Good times!