PDA

View Full Version : PS NOVA new details

Manta Oyamada
Jun 4, 2014, 03:19 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TNuOxg_W9-A/UjCSc14qFXI/AAAAAAAAUMs/hvNEIfzeufg/s450/Phantasy-Star-Nova-Logo.png

After a looong ole time of radio silence on Phantasy Star Nova, Sega’s new Vita PS game, the project has finally resurfaced in this week’s Famitsu.

Excuse any weird name romanization issues. I suck at these weird made up names.

Main characters:

Rutena (Maaya Uchida) Human Force

Seiru (Yoshitsugu Matsuoka) Human Hunter

Izuna (Ai Kayano) Numan Ranger

Fordia (Miyuki Sawashiro) *YEEESSSSS Human Hunter

Magnus (Banjo Ginga) Human Hunter

-Basically, the production team was not pleased with the look and visual fidelity of the game. They went back to the drawing board and redid everything, resulting in the 9 month radio silence.

-The project is still set for a 2014 release, and will feature adhoc multiplayer. No online currently.

-The feel of the game is supposedly close to the original PSO.

-Everything you use, from weapons to healing items etc, must be gathered by the player character. The idea came from the theme of “survival.” Armor can break and be damaged.

-Anything you made in PSO can be recreated in Nova with super high quality visuals.

-Depending on certain conditions you clear, designs can be changed.

-The world/universe is shared with PSO2, but only races and classes from Episode 1.

-The combat system is fairly different from PSO2. Those without PSO2 experience might actually be able to jump in more easily than PSO2 players.

-You start the game with barely anything at your home base. As the game progresses, the players can choose what to have built according to what they need.

-More info will be announced on June 15th at the Phantasy Star Kanshasai 2015.

[Source (http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7710158.html)] Translation by Elliot

Scans Famitsu Weekly
[spoiler-box]
http://manta0yamada.minus.com/mmA97Ne5rMYwz

http://i.minus.com/iegxnZOz1nG2v.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iCEUv78u5Unyi.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ib0QIvtgGb6eUG.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iCbLbJqi6SloQ.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

As I noted a few days ago, Phantasy Star Nova has resurfaces after nearly 9 months of radio silence.The game still takes place in the PSO2 universe, though the feel of the game is said to harken back to OG PSO.

Nova takes place on the planet Makia, a mostly uncivilized world where Photons can’t even be used. Since there’s no facilities to regenerate health, make weapons/armor etc, players will only be able to depend on themselves to survive in the harsh environment.

Delta Valiant, a space ship holding approximately 1,000 people in cryosleep, is sent to the planet to check out its prospects of becoming habitable. As the ship neared the new world, it was shot down by an unknown enemy, and crash landed on Makia. With only a small portion of the crew up and about, It’s up to you to start scavenging materials, building facilities, and waking folks up.

The core concept here is survival. The producers want players to focus on the way the characters develop through this harsh new environment. The wreckage of the Delta Valiant will serve as your homebase where you take quests. You then use the rewards of those quests to build up the ship.

Character creation is said to be on par with PSO2, so whatever character you had there, you’ll mostly be able to recreate here if you so choose.You won’t be stuck with the same character design all game though; at a certain point, and only after fulfilling the conditions, you’ll be able to go through an image change if you so choose.

The producers stress that this isn’t some PSO2 append disc, but a full game in the Phantasy Star series.

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 03:32 PM
Makes me wish my Vita wasn't broken now ;_;

ShinMaruku
Jun 4, 2014, 03:33 PM
Day one. If this is balanced well I may level pso2 forever. :P

Shadowth117
Jun 4, 2014, 03:34 PM
I'm curious how the combat is going to play out now if they really changed it. Nice that they updated the graphics a bit too.

Kinda interested in what they're gonna do with the whole overall, but I guess we get to see in 2 weeks or so.

...I still think its dumb how we have 4 humans, a newman ranger of all things, and no casts in the main character list. Come on now.

Gardios
Jun 4, 2014, 03:35 PM
I want those graphics for VITA PSO2. >:

Weird that they didn't make the main character a Hunter.

Kilich
Jun 4, 2014, 04:14 PM
I want those graphics for VITA PSO2. >:

Weird that they didn't make the main character a Hunter.

Isn't NOVA's big thing "survival on a planet where photon usage is blocked"? It would make sense for FO to be the protag.

Dragwind
Jun 4, 2014, 04:20 PM
Well this just got a whole lot more interesting.

TheAstarion
Jun 4, 2014, 05:13 PM
The huge number of human characters screams "secret non-human race reveal". We already have dumans in the main game and beasts in data from PSO2 alpha equipment tables and PSO2es race data.

Nanoblast would be a nice way to circumvent the antiphoton field, too. Ah well, we can only wait and see. Will also be interesting to see what gets recursively added to the main game.

Totori
Jun 4, 2014, 05:32 PM
No, Deumans won't be in this game. Same for any Beast. It's just Humans, Newman, and CAST.

Alukard
Jun 4, 2014, 05:59 PM
Judging from the screens it doesn't look anything like the original pso (Not talking about the visual aspect). Seems more like psu+being able to jumppso2.

Freshellent
Jun 4, 2014, 06:20 PM
Not a fan of the character design yet, but the other than that... I look forward more to this than PSO2 as a whole at the moment.

gigawuts
Jun 4, 2014, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not super keen on the character designs but the rest sounds great to me.

I always love hearing when a game company is far into a project and, when they really realize it just isn't jiving, they actually do something about it instead of putting a bandaid over it and releasing it anyway.

I'm sure they kept all the elements that stood out the best, and reworked them around entirely new elements that are better than what they had before. I'm looking forward to playing it.

edit: Regarding trying to be more like PSO1, I don't think we'll get a game with a similar design aesthetic for a while (at least, not from a major game company - maybe in an indy game, though). A big part of why PSO1 had the aesthetic that it did was the hardware of the time forced them to do things like make light sources emit visible light beams instead of actually casting light on surfaces, lots of jaggies, overlapping transparent textures for lightsabers, sharp/crisp corners/edges everywhere, etc. Another big part was that cyberpunk was a really big thing at the time. Using "tricks" to bring more out of hardware was always what they'd been doing, so that's just the direction they went.

Now hardware is only barely a limitation to a game's aesthetic, and more "realism" (aka bloom & lensflares) is a must now. Unfortunately.

If this is like Monster Hunter on an alien planet, meaning a bunch of mostly intact natural environments that aren't necessarily realistic, I'd be pretty happy.

BIG OLAF
Jun 4, 2014, 07:17 PM
I'm sure they kept all the elements that stood out the best, and reworked them around entirely new elements that are better than what they had before. I'm looking forward to playing it.

That's exactly what they did with PSP2i. They took all the good parts of PSU, dropped the bad parts, tweaked some stuff, and boom, there was an awesome game, arguably the best since PSO. Hopefully Nova turns out to follow the same path.

OmegaNexus
Jun 4, 2014, 07:25 PM
its mine, already preordered on play-asia and got my Vita at launch day.

Taurus83
Jun 4, 2014, 08:27 PM
why the character look more like star ocean, owait is tri-ace design teams made no wonder

ThePendragon
Jun 4, 2014, 08:28 PM
-The feel of the game is supposedly close to the original PSO.

WTF. NONONONONONO! This better not mean gameplay. Maybe some tie ins, but everything else, just NO.

Rootsuki
Jun 4, 2014, 11:24 PM
So much panty twist. I'm open to this, as anyone else should be.

Enforcer MKV
Jun 5, 2014, 10:19 AM
So...pics?

Also, no Cast main characters? This is ridiculous. D:<

*Found it, carry on.

GoldenFalcon
Jun 5, 2014, 10:20 AM
So...pics?

Also, no Cast main characters? This is ridiculous. D:<

Cast player character has been the canon story in every PSO game

Manta Oyamada
Jun 5, 2014, 10:35 AM
for those interested in famitsu full article it's here... http://manta0yamada.minus.com/mmA97Ne5rMYwz

HIT0SHI
Jun 5, 2014, 10:46 AM
Aside from the Male CAST since PSO2 already has them, those costume designs look awesome!
Too bad we are gonna get slutty, kawai desune~ , casual wear or retarded costumes instead; Not counting the collaborations due to most of them being ok i guess.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Jun 6, 2014, 06:49 AM
Yooooo survival mode the game, with photons.

Hopefully huge wide open spaces are done away with. Ugly shit.

Risk droppin money on a Vita for the second possible coming of Infinity AKA GOAT PS game AKA still holds up PS game AKA no one was ready PS game

Manta Oyamada
Jun 6, 2014, 11:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfcI_ws1AoI&list=UUF2OmH84XcsvRkgFTsIgAjA&index=1

LordKaiser
Jun 6, 2014, 12:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bEug_pPVDk

This is what this reminds me of.

ShinMaruku
Jun 6, 2014, 11:27 PM
Only Naughty Gods and Nintendo can make Vegeito.

Reyva
Jun 6, 2014, 11:36 PM
Orange haired chick looks like Vanille from FF13. Take away the square-enix graphics for your typical FF game and alter the hairstyle a bit you'll see it ;-).

I own a Vita, but I am not interested in playing many games on it since I hate small screens (No chance of seeing that Vita TV in US) . I only bought it for Persona 4 back then. Since there is doubt it will even come to the west, I would have to see more before I'd be convinced to even consider buying it (if it came out in the west).

Zyrusticae
Jun 8, 2014, 08:10 PM
I really, really, really like the art direction in this game. Hope we get some of those outfits in PSO2.

Gawd, the environment visuals, even as basic as they are graphically, are far and away superior to what we get in PSO2. Ridiculous, especially considering it's on a bloody handheld (and not a particularly powerful one, either). I really wish they'd do a revamp of the environment visuals, but of course that's not gonna happen.

GoldenFalcon
Jun 10, 2014, 11:29 AM
If there is no photon usage, then why do swords glow still and why does teh magicks work

Sp-24
Jun 10, 2014, 11:37 AM
tachyons

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jun 10, 2014, 11:42 AM
If there is no photon usage, then why do swords glow still and why does teh magicks work

I honestly was asking my team this the other day.

HUs can still stick em with the pointy end

RAs can still pew pew still

But wtf will FOs do?