PDA

View Full Version : PSO Servers Going Rare Item Crazy!!??

Nordramor
Mar 7, 2001, 10:08 PM
I can't believe my luck, or my disluck.

Today (3-7-01), my 98th FONewman YellowBoze, playing online on Puck - 10, found a collection of Special Items in Ruins 3 as usual and went to town to ID them. The only other player in the game was a 49th RAcast named Jenkins. I proceeded to ID the items, and was shocked to find out that I had found a Chain Sawd! To make matters even more unbelievable, another one of the items in my inventory was yet another Chain Sawd! This made no sense whatsoever, but I had ID'd the items myself, so either Jenkins dropped them, un-Id'd, as a hack joke, or something went terribly wrong.

To make things even more confusing, one of the Chain Sawd's boosted my ATP (theoretically, I can't equip them) to 999 while the other only boosted it to 832. I was immediately suspect and left the two as unidentified items. After beating Dark Falz and leaving the game, I created another. This time, the 999 ATP Chain Sawd now was identified as a DB's Saber, but the other Chain Sawd still was id'd as a Chain Sawd!

To make things more interesting, a friend, another YellowBoze, but a HUmar, (Mykall) claimed to have found 2 Kadadgolg's back to back today as well. This is really messed up.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?

Nordramor
Nordy!

Seutekh
Mar 7, 2001, 10:33 PM
It's been rumored that Sega has decided to up the ammount of rares found online to handle the "economic problems" of its server changes.

I've also heard that they may actually be adding in a few more NEW rares... (one for each sec ID possibly)

Again, these ARE just rumors, and I haven't heard any reports from an official source, (Sega's starting to get as hushed about this stuff as Nintendo is about its new games...) so don't take this as law or an absolute answer.

Thug_Larz
Mar 7, 2001, 10:59 PM
Well, I tell you what...I was playing Online on Very Hard, I'm a level 58 RAcast, and a similar thing happened to me in the Mines. I found 2 of the SPECIAL WEAPON's and had the Tekker ID them. They were both DB's Saber. Now, it's not the best RARE item in the world; but it ain't too shabby either. The funny thing was though, was that there were about 3 other SPECIAL WEAPON's lying around too., and just in the Mines. Strange...

Mrgrfx
Mar 7, 2001, 11:04 PM
I noticied the same thing, I got 4 Crush Bullet's and 2 Photon claws in Cave 3, Mine 1. Now I think my stats are maxed out, I don't know how it happened. I have been getting alot of Mind and Lucks lately but, for some reason I can't even use the Power or Mind Material anymore. Anyone want a Mind material???

Ukyou
Mar 7, 2001, 11:07 PM
Going through Forest of VHard by myself, I managed to pick up a Kaladgolg, Soul Eater, and fake Agito (2001). Weird enough, all three of these were in the same room...

rekonstruct
Mar 8, 2001, 12:56 AM
Strange yeah! I hoped on much earlier than I usually do today, around 2pm (usually 10pm-3am). And I start a locked game, go to forest vhard. First room, first Booma drops a Brave Knuckle.. ok not the greatest rare, but jeez i've never even seen one, until now! I hope its true, man I want some cool items!

mj23thegoat
Mar 8, 2001, 01:28 AM
dont tekkers identify weapons wrong sometimes? tekkers can only identify certain weapons in thier field, right? that would be why the weapon changed maybe. i dunno.

PowerSlave
Mar 8, 2001, 04:48 AM
Strange things are defately afoot. Seutekh I think your rumor may be partailly correct, or it just seems as though it all happened today because someone brought it everyone's attention.
Anyways
I havent found much in general but today (online) I found Brave Knuckles on V hard forest and Delsaber's Right Arm (Buster) on Hard Ruins. To top that off I also found a Gae Bolg. This is all within a period of 2 hrs today.
Definately my biggest day of PSO ever. Gotta see how tomorrow goes now.

I wanted to add this. I have tried keeping items unknown and the bringing to different tekkers, and out of the 20 items I have tried they all were the same. I would first equip them to see what they were, then bring to different tekkers. And to my dismay they were all cursed by the vaista and DB saber gods.

Maximus (VIRIDIA)
RAmar - WHite/Grey Helmet w/ orange screen

PowerSlave (SKYLY)
HUcast - White/Grey

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: PowerSlave on 2001-03-08 02:01 ]</font>

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: PowerSlave on 2001-03-08 02:02 ]</font>

Star_Angel
Mar 8, 2001, 07:41 AM
I think mjx has the right idea... some tekkers are better than others when it comes to finding out what the true "SPECIAL WEAPON" is. Alot of those DB's and Varsitas you found yesterday could have been a Stag or Holy Ray. I've seen this three times, your best bet it to take the item to the tekker only on certain section ID's to get the most accurate result (note: sometimes even the right tekker will ID the special weapon wrong).

purhaze
Mar 8, 2001, 10:33 AM
i played about 3 hours today, and in caves alone i found 5 claws, two of them being silence claws, now that blew my mind, and im finding way more materia now for some reason. You can find soul eaters now? there has to be somthing up

DarkKnight
Mar 8, 2001, 10:45 AM
purhaze,

was that online or offline?

Stixxx
Mar 8, 2001, 10:55 AM
ummm

you can equip weapons b4 you id them...

so how can they do it wrong???

The_Neon_Samurai
Mar 8, 2001, 11:30 AM
This sucks. If sega really upped the rare findings, I don't think it's a good idea. Instead they should just have just thrown out most of all the Varistas and DBs Sabers, so you find less stuff but at least halfway decent things. In doing this, Sega just behaves like the Dupers, same thing. They're flooding the market with rares. Maybe that's their intention, to erase the need for duping, but wtf? At the end of the day you get the same result. PSO is an awesome game but face it, it's fucked up behond repair. We can only pray that they get it right for PSO2 and I think the only way to do that is to store the characters on their own servers like they do in PC MMORPGs.

DW
Mar 8, 2001, 12:06 PM
Brave Knuckles is a VERY common rare drop in Forest. I use to hunt there day and night searching for mag cells and every other game I creat a brave knuckle would drop in VH Forest.

Socrates
Mar 8, 2001, 12:22 PM
"It's been rumored that Sega has decided to up the ammount of rares found online to handle the "economic problems" of its server changes.
"

Ooookay. So, let me get this straight. Sega implements new server changes because there has been a glut of duped items and rares, thereby cheapening the experience of owning such a rare gem to begin with. Then, they go in and up the amount of rares you can find.

Wasn't the whole point of the new server changes to ensure that rares remain, well... rare? *sigh*

Vanse
Mar 8, 2001, 12:24 PM
I have NEVER seen a special weapon change to something else when it gets ID'd. I think you are all confused http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif the +'s and %'s change, but I really don't think you can pick up an eggblaster, equip it and say woot woot, then go id it and get a crush bullet.

The_Neon_Samurai
Mar 8, 2001, 12:30 PM
Well, what did I just say, Socrates?
I totally agree.

I was programmed according to the code of Bushido.
Better to die with honour, than to live in shame.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: The_Neon_Samurai on 2001-03-08 11:12 ]</font>

Spike
Mar 8, 2001, 01:42 PM
I've been noticing a huge increase in the amount of rare weapons I've found recently. After finding crap for the longest time, in the past few days I've found a real Agito (and changed it into an Orotiagito!), Angry Fist, Combat Gear, and a couple Hunter Fields!

BTW, Kaladgolgs seem to be the only Yellowboze-only weapon. I'm Yellowboze and find them pretty frequently in V-hard Forest.

Nordramor
Mar 8, 2001, 01:59 PM
Vanse,

I have no idea what the heck happened, but it did. This is not some crazy BS story.

Both items ID'd as Chain Sawd's when I fist ID'd them. I left the game, created a new game (I had also created the previous game, so same YellowBoze tekker) and one of the Chain Sawd's was ID'd as a DB's Saber. I left it as UN-ID'd and the ??? Special Weapon is still sitting in my bank. The other Chain Sawd was ID'd as a Chain Sawd again (no photons, damn!) so I decided to let the ID stick to make sure I kept at least one Chain Sawd.

I was very careful in monitoring what I was doing, so either the other player (Jenkins) has some crazy new way to drop hacked ??? items, or the Chain Sawd morphed into a DB's Saber. Please note that the ATP on the one that morphed was messed up (it said it upped my ATP to 999, while the other only said 832), so perhaps the item was a simple code bug and this is just a random glitch.

I don't claim to have an explanation for what's going on, just that it did happen.

Nordramor
Nordy!

MB
Mar 8, 2001, 02:14 PM
I played all night last night and didnt find one rare weapon... I think you must have just got lucky
MBlaster

ScaraB
Mar 8, 2001, 03:34 PM
Socrates, kudos to your character designs, nice sig pic.

Manifest
Mar 8, 2001, 03:51 PM
On 2001-03-07 19:33, Seutekh wrote:
It's been rumored that Sega has decided to up the ammount of rares found online to handle the "economic problems" of its server changes.

I've also heard that they may actually be adding in a few more NEW rares... (one for each sec ID possibly)

you know, Im pretty sure nothing can be added to the game. In order for sega to add a new item to the game we would have to have a hard drive on our dreamcast. Which we dont. And I doubt they have the ability to "up" the amount of rares found online because this would have to be a value coded into the game, and once again, no dreamcast harddrive, and the VMU isnt that big.

Russian
Mar 8, 2001, 03:54 PM
Okay, first... Nordrammor, if you dropped it or unequipped it and it changed into something else, it's a hacked item. Xploder or GS, no doubt.

The other one, I'm not sure about, but I believe you can equip a Chain Sawd, no matter what class you are. First time I ever saw one in action it was a Ranger swingin' it.

I found jack in the way of good items, but I found tons of them. DB's, Varista's and Battle Verges out the wazoo. Crazy, crazy.

Russian

Russian
Mar 8, 2001, 03:55 PM
<double post, sorry>

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Russian on 2001-03-08 14:11 ]</font>

Spasm
Mar 8, 2001, 04:24 PM
Well, they can't add anything new GRAPHICALLY to the game, coming up with a double breaker (how cool would that be?), but I'm sure they can rename, and re-stat as many weapons as they want. Even giving them new colors to denote their variety.

For example, take a double saber, make it red, give it ungodly attack power, and random % attributes, and call it the Maul Saber. I can imagine something like that being totally within their power.

john_galt
Mar 8, 2001, 05:00 PM
I went home for my lunch break just now to blast around a little bit... and to check out the alleged "rare item explosion".

I have _never_ found a double saber before.. I saw two of them in the caves within fifteen minutes of starting.

Sounds like they may, in fact, be increasing the number of rares found online...

And I agree with the previous poster, they can't add anything graphically to the game, unless it only exists in some downloadable quest type format.. But they can give new titles/attributes/stats/special-attacks to weapons to create altogether new stuff.. My crush bullet looks just like my meteor smash.. Maybe they could add planet destroyer next..

Russian
Mar 8, 2001, 05:18 PM
Most funky.

At any rate, I agree as well... But I believe they COULD add things, graphically, to the game, but it would be quite invasive and could slow the game down to the point of unplayable if they did it often. I imagine anything that can't be read off the disk would be difficult, if not impossible, to add in effectively.

I can only hope they put in some new Force goodies. That'd be quite sweet. Hey, maybe tonight I'll stumble upon that Megid Level 15. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif Not bloody likely.

Russian

Russian
Mar 8, 2001, 06:57 PM
Hmmm... just had a thought. Forgive me if I'm slow.

If Sega DID increase the rate at which we find special weapons (and the chances that we'd find something out of the ordinary) it was probably to deter people from duping. People might be more inclined to play legitimately if they could find something more unique than... say... the same Twin Brand that's been cloned a billion times.

The goals of most dupers are base, at best: Make the game easier so they don't have to work as hard/long to get where they want to go, to be 'cool' because they have all the "ph4t l00t" and the newbies idolize them (which they love, of course)... Or even to bring down some sort of 'virtual oppression' that Sega is supposedly creating by making some items more rare than others (thereby denying some players immediate access to said items), etc. I've heard rants by people who claim that they are liberating the game's community by duping, taking down the "suits" and "businessmen" by doing so (and speaking in third person, no less). Funny stuff.

Do you guys think it's safe to say that this sudden influx of rare items (including a couple most of us have never seen before) is actually duplication deterrent? Their theory: By making rares easier to obtain, they take a bite out of the duper's market?

Your thoughts?

Russian

RyoGeo
Mar 8, 2001, 10:30 PM
Nordramor, I'd bet that you initial suspiscion was correct in that the one Chain Sawd that was a bit odd was some kind of hack or something. Every indication I have seen is that a normal unhacked item is exactly what it is and the only thing that changes w/the tekker are the various attributes.

Josh
Mar 8, 2001, 11:24 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif I haven't found any good items today. I guess I'll play for a couple hours tonight and see what I get http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

PowerSlave
Mar 9, 2001, 06:25 AM
I dont think that they could add something, but wouldnt it be possible for them to simply unlock items already on the disc that have been locked until now?

VampireLR
Mar 9, 2001, 06:53 AM
Aren't Sega coming out with new rares..? I hope they put in a strider blade. That would be totally a bad ass weapon. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Happy79
Mar 9, 2001, 12:43 PM
Hey i know this is the wrong board but Spike If u read this im interested in trading for yourcombat gear I really really raelly want it...think u would be interested in trading??

Happy

Jaysat102
Mar 9, 2001, 03:09 PM
Geez..you really CAN'T please all the people, all the time..wah..can't find the rares..wah..too many rares...SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT....You crybabies r really saying " I want to have really rare and cool weapons..but I want to be the only one..so i can feel cool and important for once in life...WHO CARES if EVERYONE has cool stuff...wouldn't that be nice if EVERYONE who plays the game gets a positive feeling from it..it's a darn GAME!!!! Get over it and channel your energies into YOUR gaming exp. not everyone elses...

Heero_Yuy
Mar 9, 2001, 03:28 PM
I have no doubt as of yesterday that they increased.Me(Heero Yuy)and my friends(OutKast, JROCKET) were all in caves on v hard and with in 45 seconds he found 5 rares.Walked along shouted "yay a rare" 3 secs later diff bunch of boxes"yeah another!" 10 secs later another set o boxes"this is gettin ridiculous now i got another" well i believe they do have the ability to somehow raise the amout of them because even though they were db sabres and blade dances we still found them quite rapidlyhttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Manifest
Mar 9, 2001, 05:05 PM
On 2001-03-09 03:25, PowerSlave wrote:
I dont think that they could add something, but wouldnt it be possible for them to simply unlock items already on the disc that have been locked until now?[addsig]

thats possibly the only decent explaination. it would be near impossible to add anything to the game, or even change the names and values of things, as your dreamcast would have to CONSTANTLY access your vmu. not to mention it would probably take up a ton of space. But if there were possibly items that dont become available until a certain date on the dreamcast...that makes sense.

GT
Mar 9, 2001, 05:37 PM
If this is the case with the time/date factor, why not try to change the date on the system and see what you get, BUT I believe it has to do with something on SEGA servers time and that is what matters.

GT