PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a new CPU would help out in PSO2?

the_importer_
Jul 1, 2014, 08:19 PM
I was able to play this game in the first place because my old video card's fan stopped working and I bought a new one that was able to handle it. I next updated my main drive for an SSD just to get faster loading of my programs. Updating my RAM would be pointless since I have 4GB and this is a media PC where I usually run 1 thing at the time.

This leaves the CPU, it's over 6 years old:
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Now I'm no power user when it comes to computers, I don't do media and usually don't game on them, I just use them for Internet and work but my theory is that it would help during those lagging time when popping in and out of a lobby floor (entering the game, coming back from a mission or from a cut scene, etc...). What do you think?

Also, which one of these would you recommend:

http://tinyurl.com/p4sumfm
http://tinyurl.com/oovoqf2

Gama
Jul 1, 2014, 08:24 PM
i'm not sure how cpu hungry pso2 is, i mean, no phisics.

but if your gfx card is newer/better, it could be a huge bottleneck.

Jungo Torii
Jul 1, 2014, 08:32 PM
A CPU upgrade probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not exactly the main thing to worry about. If you really feel the need to upgrade it's probably not a bad idea at all, but it likely won't have the same effect or utility in PSO2 (or almost any game, really) that a new GPU would carry.

I've never had a computer with an AMD CPU so I'm really not sure about their quality.

Edson Drake
Jul 1, 2014, 08:46 PM
PSO2 doesn't require much processing power, but hardware over 6 years-old is going to suffer a bit.

You didn't mention your GFX card which is the most important part. The CPU upgrade coupled with at least 8 GB RAM would make quite a difference using a 64-bit OS(do you?).

But if you're inclined to upgrade that CPU, plus memory and possibly a GFX card, that means a new computer. If you can play PSO2 normally right now, I'd save up for a complete, new machine instead of just new parts.

sabitsuki
Jul 1, 2014, 08:48 PM
If you wanna do some streaming then yes CPU upgrade will help a lot. Gaming-wise no, my G620 can run it fine when coupled with an outdated gtx460

dejixal
Jul 1, 2014, 09:00 PM
Make sure the new CPU is compatible with the motherboard.

the_importer_
Jul 1, 2014, 09:11 PM
PSO2 doesn't require much processing power, but hardware over 6 years-old is going to suffer a bit.

You didn't mention your GFX card which is the most important part. The CPU upgrade coupled with at least 8 GB RAM would make quite a difference using a 64-bit OS(do you?).

But if you're inclined to upgrade that CPU, plus memory and possibly a GFX card, that means a new computer. If you can play PSO2 normally right now, I'd save up for a complete, new machine instead of just new parts.

GPU: Asus Geforce GT 630 Video Card 2GB DDR3

GHNeko
Jul 1, 2014, 09:12 PM
I'd upgrade the RAM simply for the OSes sake. Prob around 1-2GB is going to be used by the OS itself. 4GB is a safe bet for PSO2 meaning you'd be best with at least 6GB. But that's my opinion.

I mean if you turn off Aero Glass and kill all the pretty features of 7, then maybe 5GB, but I really wouldnt play with less than that.

the_importer_
Jul 1, 2014, 09:17 PM
I'd upgrade the RAM simply for the OSes sake. Prob around 1-2GB is going to be used by the OS itself. 4GB is a safe bet for PSO2 meaning you'd be best with at least 6GB. But that's my opinion.

I mean if you turn off Aero Glass and kill all the pretty features of 7, then maybe 5GB, but I really wouldnt play with less than that.

Don't worry about Windows, I'm not a power user for hardware, but I know my software. Windows 7 runs with almost of all of it's features stripped down. Even with Avast Anti-Virus, I have less than 1GB of my RAM in usage.

Sayara
Jul 1, 2014, 09:19 PM
[spoiler-box]http://i.minus.com/ibKx0vzisdbIM.png[/img][/spoiler-box]
Please be certain your GFX can handle your PSO2 settings. please don't be like me

GHNeko
Jul 1, 2014, 09:21 PM
Please be certain your GFX can handle your PSO2 settings. please don't be like me

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/XglzlvK.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Sayara
Jul 1, 2014, 09:24 PM
my GFX card was old as shit, well the rest of the PC was too, but now im beyond this horrible time of my life.

Edson Drake
Jul 1, 2014, 09:24 PM
GPU: Asus Geforce GT 630 Video Card 2GB DDR3

It's a basic card. Can you run this game at max settings? Minimum? Is V-Sync on or off? It makes a difference.

If you can play this maxed with V-Sync off and good performance(constantly over 30 FPS) I'd save up for a new machine. New Intel processors are coming soon and you might want to grab an i5. I have one and they're great value for the money, couple that with 16 GB RAM and you're set. As for video card that will depend on your timing so post back here if you decide to go that route and I'll gladly offer advice on hardware.

the_importer_
Jul 1, 2014, 09:33 PM

Don't worry, I can run the game with almost all the settings on high (a couple on medium) and besides the lobby part, the game runs smoothly at 1920x1080 and 60FPS.

Here's an old screenshot:
[spoiler-box]http://i57.tinypic.com/2962etk.png[/spoiler-box]

Lashette
Jul 2, 2014, 12:32 AM
AMD Athon 64 Dual Core was what I had before I built the PC I have now, and yes it's a great improvement in loading when you get a better processor. I seriously would recommend anything 3.5 Ghz or higher. I know I get like maybe 3 - 5 second load time with everything maxed out, and running hi-def. (usually faster right after a reboot of my pc, or just turned it on.) I'm only running a AMD FX 6 core 3.9Ghz, a HIS Radeon 7850 graphics card, and 8 Gb DDR3 ram.

Keilyn
Jul 2, 2014, 12:38 AM
What I would do is to tell your left-side of your brain to stay out of it for a while, and let your right brain take over.

Your left brain is the logical side, but its also the side that tries to convince you that you aren't getting the performance you believe you should have, and creating anxiety. Its the opposite of the placebo effect.

I would simply play the game and wonder with the right side of the brain if you can get a seamless response. You know....decent settings, decent framerate and if that works for you. If so, then you do not need an upgrade of any type

...because the right side of the brain is the visual part that bypasses logic and says "It is what it is"

If you feel ok in game and it has not been a problem for you, it shouldn't really be a problem.

However if you are planning on playing the latest games out there on maximum settings as many RPGs are coming out this year, both singleplayer and MMO....and I am waiting for Black Desert Online, then by all means think about upgrading..

...but if all you want is PSO2 and you already get the performance you like, without the mentality of "My performance sucks unless I can play max FPS on three monitors at 4K resolution..." then you don't need further upgrades.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 2, 2014, 12:46 AM
It's a basic card. Can you run this game at max settings? Minimum? Is V-Sync on or off? It makes a difference.

If you can play this maxed with V-Sync off and good performance(constantly over 30 FPS) I'd save up for a new machine. New Intel processors are coming soon and you might want to grab an i5. I have one and they're great value for the money, couple that with 16 GB RAM and you're set. As for video card that will depend on your timing so post back here if you decide to go that route and I'll gladly offer advice on hardware.

PSO2 doesn't natively support V-sync, you can only force it using a 3rd party tool like d3doverider, which most people don't+^_^+ any 600 series Nvidia desktop card should be able to run PSO2 at max settings at 1080p+^_^+

IndignationSWF
Jul 2, 2014, 12:51 AM
PSO2 doesn't natively support V-sync, you can only force it using a 3rd party tool like d3doverider, which most people don't+^_^+ any 600 series Nvidia desktop card should be able to run PSO2 at max settings at 1080p+^_^+

I can confirm that. My laptop has a Nvidia Geforce GT 750M and it runs like a dream even with SweetFX on Maximum with everything cranked on my control panel.

Edson Drake
Jul 2, 2014, 02:20 AM

I use virtual fullscreen on a Radeon 7970 and I'm pretty sure V-Sync is on, since I get no tearing at all.

the_importer_
Jul 2, 2014, 05:31 AM
What I would do is to tell your left-side of your brain to stay out of it for a while, and let your right brain take over.

Your left brain is the logical side, but its also the side that tries to convince you that you aren't getting the performance you believe you should have, and creating anxiety. Its the opposite of the placebo effect.

I would simply play the game and wonder with the right side of the brain if you can get a seamless response. You know....decent settings, decent framerate and if that works for you. If so, then you do not need an upgrade of any type

...because the right side of the brain is the visual part that bypasses logic and says "It is what it is"

If you feel ok in game and it has not been a problem for you, it shouldn't really be a problem.

However if you are planning on playing the latest games out there on maximum settings as many RPGs are coming out this year, both singleplayer and MMO....and I am waiting for Black Desert Online, then by all means think about upgrading..

...but if all you want is PSO2 and you already get the performance you like, without the mentality of "My performance sucks unless I can play max FPS on three monitors at 4K resolution..." then you don't need further upgrades.

This is a possibility, but tell you what, I'll make a video tonight to show you guys how the game runs for me, you can tell me your opinion on my situation.