PDA

View Full Version : Hardware failures, just my luck

DJcooltrainer
Jul 23, 2014, 01:10 PM
I am so frustrated with my gaming desktop right now.

Last week, the pump on my water cooler for my CPU started making some weird noises, I started to worry that my pump was dying, but at least it was still working well enough. I'll just wait until I get paid to buy a new one, no big deal right?

Big. Mistake.

I come home from work on Monday, and my computer won't power on at all. I decide to unplug the PSU and take a look inside... somehow one of the fluid lines on my cooler burst open, and leaked alllll over my motherboard. I've used these closed loop systems for years now, and this is the first time I've ever seen something like this. I have no idea how this even happened.

So my first move was to test out my CPU and GPU for any damage, and I got super lucky as they both appear to work fine on my room mate's PC.

I order a replacement motherboard on Amazon, and I get an e-mail the next day saying it is out of stock... but they can send me a different model for the same price, whatever, I guess... as long as it works, right?

My next step was to contact Antec (the company that made my water cooler) and see if they can give me a replacement. I purchased it on 3/2/2012, and it was listed (and is still listed on the Antec website) as having a 3 YEAR warranty, meaning it should expire on 3/2/2015... right?

Well, I guess Antec uses a different system of counting, because they're telling me my warranty expired on 3/2 of this year. Am I crazy, or is that only two years?

So now I'm missing out on the new cool stuff in PSO2 while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to show up.

Lessons learned this week:
-Don't fuck with water cooling systems
-Don't ever buy anything from Antec
-Don't buy from 3rd party sellers on Amazon
-3/2/2012 - 3/2/2014 is a period of 3 years, apparently.

Edson Drake
Jul 23, 2014, 02:07 PM
I am so frustrated with my gaming desktop right now.

Last week, the pump on my water cooler for my CPU started making some weird noises, I started to worry that my pump was dying, but at least it was still working well enough. I'll just wait until I get paid to buy a new one, no big deal right?

Big. Mistake.

I come home from work on Monday, and my computer won't power on at all. I decide to unplug the PSU and take a look inside... somehow one of the fluid lines on my cooler burst open, and leaked alllll over my motherboard. I've used these closed loop systems for years now, and this is the first time I've ever seen something like this. I have no idea how this even happened.

So my first move was to test out my CPU and GPU for any damage, and I got super lucky as they both appear to work fine on my room mate's PC.

I order a replacement motherboard on Amazon, and I get an e-mail the next day saying it is out of stock... but they can send me a different model for the same price, whatever, I guess... as long as it works, right?

My next step was to contact Antec (the company that made my water cooler) and see if they can give me a replacement. I purchased it on 3/2/2012, and it was listed (and is still listed on the Antec website) as having a 3 YEAR warranty, meaning it should expire on 3/2/2015... right?

Well, I guess Antec uses a different system of counting, because they're telling me my warranty expired on 3/2 of this year. Am I crazy, or is that only two years?

So now I'm missing out on the new cool stuff in PSO2 while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to show up.

Lessons learned this week:
-Don't fuck with water cooling systems
-Don't ever buy anything from Antec
-Don't buy from 3rd party sellers on Amazon
-3/2/2012 - 3/2/2014 is a period of 3 years, apparently.

This why I don't ever use water blocks. I've had that before and lesson learned, air cooling is the way to go. I don't care how good water cooling is, once that thing leaks your hardware is gone.

That being said. Corsair has pretty good warranty coverage, if it ever leaks they'll pay all of your damaged equipment, even if it's your fault.

I still won't touch water cooling ever again.

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 23, 2014, 02:34 PM
I'm a big fan of air cooling myself (no pun intended). Makes life simple for me.
That sucks about your motherboard though. I hope the new one comes fast so you can get back on.

DJcooltrainer
Jul 23, 2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, next time I'm just going to spend the same amount of money on a quality air cooler... maybe one of those fancy massive passive coolers for the noise reduction.

I managed to get Antec to process my RMA by complaining on their Facebook page, though. If you ever have problems with a company's customer service, write a nasty comment on their Facebook page. They'll bend over backwards to get you to update or remove it.

I'm not even going to bother with getting them to try and replace the motherboard, I've heard it can take 3-6 months.

Somehow, this CPU has survived 4 motherboards. The first was DOA, the 2nd died after a year, the 3rd died after a few months of heavy use (that's what I get for buying a cheap replacement), and this was number 4. Let's hope the 5th time will be the last time...