PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robin Williams.

Blue-Hawk
Aug 11, 2014, 07:06 PM
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robin-williams-found-dead-in-possible-suicide-1201280386/

Aparent suicide they say. Damn, I loved him in just about everything he did.

You will be missed. Thanks for all the laughs.

BIG OLAF
Aug 11, 2014, 07:16 PM
I hope that a positive thing that comes from this is more awareness for depression in general.

This proves that even the most outwardly peppy, zany, upbeat people can be suffering in silence in their hearts and minds. Depression is an extremely serious problem and should be treated just as carefully as a number of dangerous physical ailments. With the recent rise of awareness for mental health in America and beyond, hopefully we're closer than ever to giving people that suffer from these types of sicknesses the help they truly need, since a frightening amount of people still don't completely understand what depression is and how it works.

If everyone would reach out to someone that they think might be hurting, whether it be a simple, kindhearted conversations or what have you, just that would be a great start.

Edson Drake
Aug 11, 2014, 08:26 PM
Man what a sad day for the world.

I'll never forget some of his serious work like Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. Even the most cheesy comedies were also funny because of him, which otherwise would be terrible movies. What a loss.

Freshellent
Aug 11, 2014, 10:25 PM
Unreal, that's even more bad news to add to this already bad day. (For me at least)

Rest in peace.

mctastee
Aug 11, 2014, 11:20 PM
I was actually a little shocked when I found out today. I am not sure how I feel now.

darkante
Aug 11, 2014, 11:32 PM
This is very sad to hear, loved his roles in Dead Poets Society and Jumanji.
Itīs just one big streak of good actors dying lately.

Retehi
Aug 12, 2014, 02:36 AM
Absolutely horrendous thing to wake up to today. :(

You're free now Genie.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 12, 2014, 10:16 AM
We've lost some very good entertainers that loved games this year to suicide. First JewWario and now Robin Williams. A very sad time for anyone that knew Robin.

Outrider
Aug 12, 2014, 11:03 AM
I hope that a positive thing that comes from this is more awareness for depression in general.

This proves that even the most outwardly peppy, zany, upbeat people can be suffering in silence in their hearts and minds. Depression is an extremely serious problem and should be treated just as carefully as a number of dangerous physical ailments. With the recent rise of awareness for mental health in America and beyond, hopefully we're closer than ever to giving people that suffer from these types of sicknesses the help they truly need, since a frightening amount of people still don't completely understand what depression is and how it works.

If everyone would reach out to someone that they think might be hurting, whether it be a simple, kindhearted conversations or what have you, just that would be a great start.

I think this deserves to be reposted.

I also think now would be a good time to post some links to suicide prevention resources. Wikipedia has a page listing suicide crisis lines for a couple of countries, but it's far from extensive. Feel free to share anything you think would be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

Remember: if you are feeling depressed or overwhelmed or like you're trapped, there are people out there who care about you and they can help you get through this. Talk to family, talk to friends, talk to people on the foums, talk to strangers on the other end of a phone; do whatever you're most comfortable with. Just don't forget that no matter how dark things can seem you're not alone.

-----

I'm genuinely surprised by how sad I was after learning about Robin William's death, but I guess I shouldn't be. I've watched his movies throughout my entire life. Many of us grew up watching his work and now he's not a part of our lives anymore. Ugh, it's so sad. I hope the best for his family and friends.

gigawuts
Aug 12, 2014, 11:42 AM
Some of the saddest people tell the most jokes. The bit about Pagliacci (http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/141645-heard-joke-once-man-goes-to-doctor-says-he-s-depressed) seems especially poignant right now.

To turn the topic to a predictably sour-er note...
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/12/fox-news-host-labels-robin-williams-such-a-coward-over-alleged-suicide/
This "suicide is the act of a coward" attitude is itself a self-serving, lazy attitude of a coward. To refuse to take full grasp and embrace the sheer magnitude and plethora emotions involved in such a decision - the fear, the anger, the solace, the bittersweetness, and everything else - and simply say it's a cowardly act, is a criminal disservice to Robin Williams that takes his humanity away from him. Based on everything I've ever seen about him the man was anything but a coward.

No, he didn't say that only cowards kill themselves, however it is a copout many will take when "discussing" the topic - and I say "discussing" lightly, as people who take that stance are usually talking much more than listening. For a person to want to kill themselves, death doesn't seem appealing; life seems so horrific that death becomes an option. Try to imagine how horrible life must be, or appear, for that option to enter the equation. Simply existing doesn't cause suffering - something else must be going on in a person's life that makes existence, or makes it seem, so horrible. Maybe a person's grasp of reality is warped, or maybe there are physical external factors involved. How much pain would it take for you to want it to just stop it at any cost? Physical? Emotional? Both? How long could you endure the worst pain you've ever felt, if it never stopped? Weeks? Months? Years?

Many will say that suicide is a selfish act, but if someone's life is, or seems, that awful then it's far more selfish to demand they endure it just because you don't want to move on with your life without being able to call or text them every few weeks and get a response. What a terribly shallow and narcissistic stance to take. While what they really want is usually for the person to not suffer at all, the unfortunate reality is that sometimes that simply isn't an option.

I'm not entirely surprised this happened, in hindsight. Oftentimes those who hurt the most do everything they can to keep other people from hurting. With how beloved this man was to essentially everybody, I hope it's possible that awareness and understanding can come of it. I'd give this man a national holiday if I could. Strike that - an international holiday. Out of every comedian - every actor - this is the one that never seemed tarnished to me in any way. This doesn't change that to me. If anything, it only makes the sentiment feel stronger.

Sinue_v2
Aug 12, 2014, 09:51 PM
I'm not convinced it was depression. Yeah, he fought bouts of it all his life, but he was also getting help for it and for his addiction problems. When I first heard about how he died, my mind snapped to George Carlin's bit on auto-erotic asphyxiation, and then I felt kind of bad and put it aside. But after hearing details of the scene on NPR today... yeah, that's pretty much what it's sounding like. He was found sitting on the floor with his belt around his neck. That's a classic choke & stroke position. It doesn't matter how resolute you are to kill yourself, your body is going to kick and write and try to get air once it's been cut off. This is why most people who kill themselves in this manner hang from a high object where they can't leverage their body to get air and back out of it. The opposite is true of auto-erotic asphyxiation, where you're wanting to bring yourself right to the brink, and then back off... so you'd want to favor positions where you can loosen the choke either intentionally, or automatically when you pass out. Sometimes it doesn't work as planned though. And given his history with drugs, I kind of wonder if he wasn't addicted to getting off under mind-altered states, and this was used as a substitute avenue for that given his avoidance of drugs due to the aforementioned rehab. Plus, I don't think there was a suicide note or final goodbye on the scene.

Anyhow, RIP I guess. He wasn't the worst actor. Dare I say, when his crazy manic antics didn't make me want to tear my eye's out and shove them in my ears, he could actually be a pretty decent actor.

AlliThePally
Aug 12, 2014, 11:52 PM
I loved him too. I'm going to miss him eveything he pushed out was wonderful and he inspired so many people. It's very sad to see him go in this way.

gigawuts
Aug 13, 2014, 01:33 AM
Plus, I don't think there was a suicide note or final goodbye on the scene.

Yeah, without knowing anything else I found the lack of a note, or at least the announcement of a note, very strange if it was an intentional suicide.

Dhylec
Aug 13, 2014, 10:52 AM
A great comedian & actor lost - RIP.

Vintasticvin
Aug 13, 2014, 12:00 PM
I saw the headlines pop up about him dead and I was like O.o Whaaaa well aint that some shit yo. Well least the guy isnt hurting anymore and he's not exactly dead as long as he is remembered :3 The guy is a legend he's pretty much immortal xD

xcanox
Aug 14, 2014, 05:55 AM
Yeah, without knowing anything else I found the lack of a note, or at least the announcement of a note, very strange if it was an intentional suicide.

I don't mean to be that guy but how does lack of a suicide note rule out suicide?

.Rusty.
Aug 14, 2014, 11:22 AM
I don't mean to be that guy but how does lack of a suicide note rule out suicide?

It doesn't mean anything people who leave suicide notes are the minority.

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2014, 11:42 AM

Where did I say that? Where did I even imply that?

Nitro Vordex
Aug 14, 2014, 05:35 PM
Where did I say that? Where did I even imply that?

If someone were to say that line out loud, I'm sure someone would follow with something like, "If? What do you mean if?" Not that you were outright saying it, or even implying it, but I can see where confusion would be.

gigawuts
Aug 14, 2014, 05:38 PM
Key word:

If it was an intentional suicide.

I don't have all the facts and I don't pretend to. I don't know if it was an intentional suicide, an accidental suicide, or a suicide at all. I don't know if it was due to mental issues, health issues, social issues, financial issues, or what. I don't pretend to. I wasn't there. I haven't seen pictures of the scene. I haven't read reports. I'm not an expert on suicide. All I know is what's been publicly released, and I won't pretend to know more.

Therefor, I phrase statements to be open to possibilities that I cannot say aren't the case. If that confuses anyone then honestly, that's very concerning.

Squall179
Aug 17, 2014, 05:10 PM
Well, Outrider, you had quite a good thing to say to add to what had been said but, one thing I do not agree on is that he is no longer part of our lives. I still think he is, in a way he lives on in the memories of us all and for me will always be there in my heart.

Goodbye, Mrs. Doubtfire.

ChocoboRRR
Sep 11, 2014, 02:44 PM
This proof undeniable that dying young is a good thing in this world.

michealstich
Sep 16, 2014, 12:50 AM
He's with the angels now RIP..

PaulMoore
Sep 19, 2014, 01:15 PM
Loved him as an actor, but it's very strange that he still has to worry about money after such a career :s

Noblewine
Sep 19, 2014, 07:07 PM
I heard the news while watching video game relared news. The funniest person alive is dead. ;-;
Sad to hear his daughter was harrassed on twitter by d-dags.