PDA

View Full Version : "NEW" Nintendo 3DS/XL

Tyreek
Aug 29, 2014, 01:50 PM
My god Nintendo, you haven't stopped it yet?! But the features are welcome indeed.

[spoiler-box]http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/jde21h7aoj0eyfcaevba.png[/spoiler-box]

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announced-a-new-3ds-1628389333

Brightness adjustment? Check!
C stick for things like camera adjustment? Check!
Z buttons? Check!
Micro SD usage? Check!
Amiibo ready? Check!
Faster CPU? Check!
Better battery life(The brightness thing comes into play with this too.)? Check!
3D function to be viewed without having to face the sweet spot(forward)? Check!
Regular AND XL ready? Double check!

Quite the changes. And the game slot and the power button now sit in the front of the 3DS. A bit of a skeptic on that, since I always on occasion sit my 3DS face up on my stomach when I'm bored. Anyway with the reveal of better CPU, they've mentioned to take advantage of this with exclusive n3DS(I'll be referring to these new iterations like this now) coming to these handhelds. Also it seems the color schemes of the regular versions are based off the SNES, while the XL is based of the Gamecube; down to the colors.

Edit: Faceplate swapping is confirmed now, as well as its new packaging that apparently depicts it. Maybe I'll get a 3DS in green like I wanted right? ... Right?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hI1iWlIH--/dcd7dpltbadxliaor0xy.jpg
[spoiler-box]http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/new-3ds-faceplates.jpg[/spoiler-box]

http://kotaku.com/the-new-nintendo-3ds-is-getting-a-truly-spectacular-um-1630918111

Discuss.

Randomness
Aug 29, 2014, 05:12 PM
Heard about, going to wait and see but... yeah.

yoshiblue
Aug 29, 2014, 08:28 PM
I saw this and was ready to embarrass myself with this lame shop effort.[SPOILER-BOX]Just rotate the button colors by one and you have the dreamcast controller. Only the start/home button is upside down.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/Redmage64/Dreamcast3DS_zps073394db.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

ArchAngel
Aug 29, 2014, 10:57 PM
This is great for nintendo fans but I still have no reason to buy this handheld or any console of nintendos.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 29, 2014, 11:29 PM
This is great for nintendo fans but I still have no reason to buy this handheld or any console of nintendos.

Super Smash Bros.?

NoiseHERO
Aug 30, 2014, 12:55 AM
Do want, better be able to get giant discount for trading in old 3DS.

We'll see in a year I guess.

Might drop the extra money if I find out it's not region locked but I severely doubtit <_>;;;

ArchAngel
Aug 30, 2014, 05:46 PM
Super Smash Bros.?

If I wanted to play smash bros I would go back to the 90's.

NoiseHERO
Aug 30, 2014, 07:51 PM
^

I don't get it. o_o

Retehi
Aug 30, 2014, 08:15 PM

Smash Bros is a franchise currently still being worked on by Nintendo, and has 2 sequels since the 90's, with another coming.

Nitro Vordex
Aug 30, 2014, 09:56 PM

^

I don't get it. o_o
He's trying too hard.

Anyway, I'd only get this if I could trade in my 3DS for it. And have them make it a LoZ model, because goddamn this thing is pretty.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 30, 2014, 10:34 PM
He's trying too hard.

Anyway, I'd only get this if I could trade in my 3DS for it. And have them make it a LoZ model, because goddamn this thing is pretty.

Only Nintendo handheld I've ever owned is my GameBoy Color. I always feel left out when my friends whip out their DS's in between classes on campus. :(

ArchAngel
Aug 30, 2014, 10:49 PM
Smash Bros is a franchise currently still being worked on by Nintendo, and has 2 sequels since the 90's, with another coming.
I realize that, but these games just don't appeal to me anymore and a large portion of todays gaming audience. These games did appeal to me when they were first released but at this time I would not buy a gaming system for a game like Smash Bros or Pokemon or any of Nintendo's IP. They need to get more 3rd party IP on their systems before I would even consider buying but it seems less and less third parties are wanting to put their games out on Nintendo's systems.

Sinue_v2
Sep 1, 2014, 05:42 PM
Sooo... what is the point of this exactly? Developers are still going to produce games for the lowest common denominator (original 3DS), with the only real benefit of a faster CPU being perhaps N64 emulation exclusive to the new model. The 3D viewing angle improvements are nice, but it's less a feature and more like a bug-fix you have to pay $200 (or whatever) to correct. The extra shoulder buttons are welcomed, but again, probably won't be used much by developers creating games for the old 3DS setup. The thumb-nub will probably be more useful simply because it can be used as a remap of other buttons already being used for movement, but it looks very awkwardly placed (why not down lower, below the face buttons?) and is pretty small. If it's at all like those old laptop pre-touch pad mouse nubs - then that's going to get awfully painful on your thumbs rather quickly.

Not impressed. Isn't this the kind of shit that people claim killed Sega going into the 32bit gen?

If they wanted to sell me on a new 3DS, the one feature they should have added in was increased screen resolution. Keep your faster CPU and meager power performance increase; if I had wanted better graphics, I would have bought a Vita. But with what graphics you do have - clarity is essential. It's no fun turning on the 3D and seeing black grid lines around each individual pixel.

Tyreek
Sep 1, 2014, 07:05 PM
I know people are beginning to complain about the n3DS exclusives starting to come into play. Then again, the last time Nintendo started their whole "exclusive" trend was Gameboy Color. But back then, Gameboy Color was the GO TO handheld that literally replaced the classic Gameboy.

Besides the c-stick looking slightly uncomfortable, I don't have much gripe with this. You're right though, they should offer better resolution to games on screen. I've been waiting to play my old DS games on a better resolution honestly.

gigawuts
Sep 1, 2014, 07:11 PM
As an MH fan, my body is ready.

My wallet not so much.

yoshiblue
Sep 1, 2014, 09:12 PM
RIP "Claw" dudes.

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 1, 2014, 11:38 PM
The exclusive games New 3DS gets will determine if I will give a fuck or not.

Why smash bros on a handheld when can console anyway :wacko:

I realize that, but these games just don't appeal to me anymore
http://puu.sh/bdIZ4.png

Ce'Nedra
Sep 3, 2014, 02:36 AM
As an MH fan, my body is ready.

My wallet not so much.

MH could look awesome on this...and they also release Xenoblade Chronicles exclusive for the N3ds, while I already beat the game like 5 times, I would love to see what the 3D effect can do with it.

That said I still didn't touch my 3DS (Zelda edition /o/ ) at all since I got it last year (I blame Tactics Ogre) ;~;

I'm not really sure if I will go buy this yet.

DJcooltrainer
Sep 3, 2014, 01:13 PM
Does anyone else think they placed the c-stick in an absolutely horrible place? How on earth are you supposed to use both at once? I feel like putting it below the a/b/x/y buttons would have been way better. I dig the brighter screens and the improved 3D viewing angles, but I think I'll just stick to using my massive 3DS XL + CPP XL.

Randomness
Sep 3, 2014, 10:09 PM
Does anyone else think they placed the c-stick in an absolutely horrible place? How on earth are you supposed to use both at once? I feel like putting it below the a/b/x/y buttons would have been way better. I dig the brighter screens and the improved 3D viewing angles, but I think I'll just stick to using my massive 3DS XL + CPP XL.

I managed to use the on-screen camera controls for MH3U. This is so much closer to my right thumb this way.

ZER0 DX
Sep 3, 2014, 11:01 PM
If it actually gets good exclusives I might consider picking one up, but if it goes the way of the DSi "exclusive" games I can do without. Already have my 3DS XL modded to output video on my PC for streaming and I never use the 3D much at all anyway. Just a shame the resolution is so terrible it's not really ideal to use my TV as a screen for it unfortunately unless I want an audience.

Tyreek
Sep 5, 2014, 01:15 PM
Well, according to some new/old news. It seems the n3DS is able to swap faceplates. Interesting find.

http://nintendoeverything.com/image-a-look-at-the-new-nintendo-3ds-faceplates/

I may as well throw this on the main page too.

The_Brimada
Sep 12, 2014, 12:34 PM
My wife wants a 3DS, and I want the new one. So I'll be getting one. And she'll be using my current one.

SurrealBrain
Sep 17, 2014, 06:25 AM
I do think Nintendo's jumping the gun, but I might consider one if there are any games that catch my eye (besides the Xenoblade. It's neat that they're doing a port, but I already have the Wii version).

Perry
Sep 28, 2014, 10:45 AM
Sooo... what is the point of this exactly? Developers are still going to produce games for the lowest common denominator (original 3DS), with the only real benefit of a faster CPU being perhaps N64 emulation exclusive to the new model. The 3D viewing angle improvements are nice, but it's less a feature and more like a bug-fix you have to pay $200 (or whatever) to correct. The extra shoulder buttons are welcomed, but again, probably won't be used much by developers creating games for the old 3DS setup. The thumb-nub will probably be more useful simply because it can be used as a remap of other buttons already being used for movement, but it looks very awkwardly placed (why not down lower, below the face buttons?) and is pretty small. If it's at all like those old laptop pre-touch pad mouse nubs - then that's going to get awfully painful on your thumbs rather quickly.

Not impressed. Isn't this the kind of shit that people claim killed Sega going into the 32bit gen?

If they wanted to sell me on a new 3DS, the one feature they should have added in was increased screen resolution. Keep your faster CPU and meager power performance increase; if I had wanted better graphics, I would have bought a Vita. But with what graphics you do have - clarity is essential. It's no fun turning on the 3D and seeing black grid lines around each individual pixel.
^Pretty much agree with this 100%.

If Nintendo is going to make a new handheld, bump up the graphics quality. Atleast.

Akaimizu
Sep 30, 2014, 09:04 AM
^ I agree, but I also am in the camp on not believing this IS a new handheld.

No, I consider this to be the DSi of the 3DS world. It's a step-up handheld but still clearly within the 3DS fold. As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo's *next* handheld has yet to come.

I want it, but I think it's because it has some features I'd love to have.