PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Cudgel

Walkure
Sep 14, 2014, 07:27 PM
So, people have seen videos and whatnot of Meteor Cudgel users spamming shift and having Double Saber gear destroy everything. It's a pretty worthwhile weapon for fighters just for the Chaos Riser spam it enables, but the shift spam also enables you to destroy any boss that sits around for long periods of time.

So let's break it down:

The Double Saber weapon action can be JA'd every ~400ms
Once activated, Double Saber gear will deal a hit to everything within its range every ~520ms, for 8 hits total.
If multiple enemy hitzones are in range, the closest hitzone is hit.
At max gear, Double Saber's weapon action has a Power stat of roughly ~108 per hit (so 864 power assuming all hits land).
Each hit from gear, when JA'd, from a L3 potential Meteor Cudgel, restores about half a gear (55% of a gear is my best guess).
This is about twice the rate that a regular Dsaber gets gear.

Which means:

Going at a constant .4s for every JA'd shift, you'll eventually reach a point where you have ~10 cyclones active, which hit more than enough times to fully restore the gear gauge before your next shift. Eventually, you reach a point where all your active cyclones are at level 3 Gear gauge.

So, with ideal conditions (enemy falling over for longer than 10s, something that just stands there or takes damage, or multiple enemies) you'll be doing approximately 864/.4 = 2160 power worth of damage every second to whatever monsters are in the cyclone's hit area.

How long do each of these steps take?

Let's make a basic model of it:
Simplified to make a small spreadsheet for it, (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C36PgQj_Nro2gQNV5cdtVMKgIYYpHExCr8s7SQXhOxw/edit?usp=sharing)(hit intervals are 0.5, or 500 milliseconds, and I'm disregarding partially filled gear gauges outside of the first level of gear), I found that:

With one target, it takes ~3 seconds of shift spamming to crank out level 3 gears every shift, which then means that at around 7 seconds all cyclones will be level 3. It gets slightly delayed by the second shift doing nothing, since not enough gear was built up.
Once built up you can pause for about a second to reposition before you stop building to three bars for every shift.
With two targets, you're at level 3 gear spam by the third shift, although it'll still take 5 seconds or so to build up the cyclones to full damage.
ANY double saber could build up to the same number of cyclones, but it'll take about ten seconds to do from just shifts alone. Against one mob, it'll only occasionally get to a full three bars of gear since the multihits aren't quite enough to consistently build gear to full.
If the shift spam is interrupted for four seconds or more, you have to start from scratch since all the cyclones will have worn off.

You can download and play around with the spreadsheet. Currently only the gear gain per hit and the enemies hit per tic have an impact on the sheet.

Since it takes a while to get into full swing, and can't really pause for more than a couple seconds, usage is fairly limited in group play. If your group is already blowing up an enemy in under 10 seconds, it probably won't help to use shift spam. Moreover, if the boss is moving around at all (Banthers or Quartz Dragon chasing after ranged players), you can't set the tornados up at all.

However, if you're solo-oriented or are in a slower group, you can safely set up by hanging out on boss's safe spots next to them, building up shift, and then flinchlocking them to death once enough gears are built up.

In my opinion, it's worth getting Meteor Cudgel for the mobbing potential alone; Chaos Riser at max gear absolutely destroys groups of enemies, and on big enough groups of enemies you can get your full gear back just by using it. Shift spam is a nice gimmick, but it's not the only reason to get that weapon for FI players. That, and it very well might get changed.

Hope this helps for people discussing the weapon, since videos and whatnot have popped up here and there.

GALEFORCE
Sep 14, 2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info. After buying one and getting it to +30, I don't really think kamaitachi-stacking is nerf-worthy. It'll do insane damage on things that really open themselves up to stunlock or have long down time, but in active battles it has rather limited use.

I'm still glad I got it for chaos riser abuse, but it cost me quite a bit...

infiniteeverlasting
Sep 14, 2014, 10:20 PM
Did meteor cudgel get a new potential or something? I have one sitting in my storage ungrounded for ages... I mean the last time I checked it just had skilled trainer on it...

LonelyGaruga
Sep 14, 2014, 10:45 PM
It got a potential that roughly doubles gear accumulation when EP3 hit.

Achelousaurus
Sep 15, 2014, 05:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Balmuk/sega.jpg

I was just thinking I should totally get it cause I want more mizer units and whatnot and it's a strong ds and mine really needs an upgrade.