PDA

View Full Version : So basically Destiny ripped off PSO

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 12, 2014, 06:10 PM
Kotaku hosted this image earlier today.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--r1KHnVlK--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/glfzbn4av1kk0wc2d30r.jpg

BIG OLAF
Oct 12, 2014, 07:09 PM
Yeah, except PSO is actually fun.

:wacko:

ShinMaruku
Oct 12, 2014, 08:45 PM
I think Bungie's head is too far up their own ass to rip off pso.

Cyron Tanryoku
Oct 12, 2014, 09:00 PM
Yeah, except PSO is actually fun.
Yeah

about as fun as destiny

infiniteeverlasting
Oct 12, 2014, 09:21 PM
please tell me this iss true, because bungie games are so overrated.

Sayara
Oct 12, 2014, 09:39 PM
No see the difference is
Cake.
in Space.

Dhylec
Oct 12, 2014, 09:55 PM
Heh, interesting comparison.

yoshiblue
Oct 12, 2014, 10:57 PM
Whens the children's card game? Everyone loves them a children's card game.

Stealthcmc1974
Oct 12, 2014, 11:27 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. But PSO was better. Destiny has only two things I can say are good: the gunplay and the euphoric feeling of getting rare loot. Everything else, from the story and the mission design, to the ways you can interact with other players, is utter crap. I'd recommend people to go play PSO in a heartbeat over Destiny. XD

That being said, its good for some fun now and again. But the game shouldn't have to rely on DLC to become good (parts of said DLC being on disc it seems, not gonna open that can of worms).

gigawuts
Oct 12, 2014, 11:30 PM
But does Destiny have chao on sticks?

ShinMaruku
Oct 13, 2014, 12:03 AM
please tell me this iss true, because bungie games are so overrated.

It's not. Both games are an acquired taste.

Sinue_v2
Oct 13, 2014, 07:08 AM
So... it's PSO for Dudebros. Seems legit.

Still a better sequel than PSU or PSO2.

NoiseHERO
Oct 13, 2014, 11:12 AM
Why would you wanna rip off this horrible series :0

Vintasticvin
Oct 13, 2014, 12:18 PM
People have been "ripping each other off" for many genereations heck you're probably ripping off someone else and don't even know it.

As for the poster you presented some of the items are total bs and plain dumb but I will admit some were "heyey interesting finds"

But yeah "borrowing" ideas from others is a thing and hanging out in lobbies is everywhere. Thank you and g'day.

CelestialBlade
Oct 13, 2014, 01:05 PM
Borderlands is closer to PSO than Destiny will ever be. And neither of them are very close given the gameplay.

gigawuts
Oct 13, 2014, 01:15 PM
Borderlands is closer to PSO than Destiny will ever be. And neither of them are very close given the gameplay.

No but you see there's a list of things two games in a similar genre share in common that are standard among many games within the entire genre that PSO didn't even originally create

totally the same

like how firemen and police are the same

both wear uniforms

both are human beings

both receive paychecks

both take you out of your home in case of emergencies

both operate out of buildings

really they're identical

Nitro Vordex
Oct 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
They both use swords and guns and magics.

ummmmmmm obvious ripoff!!!

CelestialBlade
Oct 13, 2014, 01:58 PM
Holy shit did you know Forza and Grand Theft Auto both have CARS??!?!?! What a ripoff!

Outrider
Oct 13, 2014, 01:59 PM
From two months ago:

I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're looking for, but there's a lot about Destiny that is superficially similar to PSO.

Well, the first one, at least.

But in terms of gameplay, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not gonna scratch your itch.

HMMMM.

Cyron Tanryoku
Oct 13, 2014, 02:15 PM
Why would you wanna rip off this horrible series :0

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gigawuts
Oct 13, 2014, 03:39 PM
why are we not saying both are ripping off diablo 2

Outrider
Oct 13, 2014, 04:20 PM
Four years ago:

(Heck, PSO was really just doing what Diablo II had been doing for years, and they didn't charge you for that.)

HMMMMMMM x2.

gigawuts
Oct 13, 2014, 04:43 PM
wow it's like it's traits are shared among games intended to fit roughly within similar genres

checkmate obama

NoiseHERO
Oct 13, 2014, 05:01 PM
NEXT YOU'RE GONNA SAY PSO RIPPED OFF POKEMON BECAUSE IT HAS ELEMENT WEAKNESS AGAINST MONSTERS.

Whoa double sarcasm hold on even confusing myself.

ShinMaruku
Oct 13, 2014, 05:29 PM
why are we not saying both are ripping off diablo 2

Combination of natural hypocrisy and rose coloured glasses. I dare the people of today to go back and play pso and come back to me with the same outlook they had years ago when the shit they were doing was novel.

gigawuts
Oct 13, 2014, 05:32 PM
Combination of natural hypocrisy and rose coloured glasses. I dare the people of today to go back and play pso and come back to me with the same outlook they had years ago when the shit they were doing was novel.

I do regularly.

Has it ever occurred to you that what you call nostalgia is occasionally, just occasionally, another thing called preference?

Do you happen to still like even one thing you liked when you were a kid? No? Oh ok.

gigawuts
Oct 13, 2014, 06:40 PM
extra extra walking dead ripped off toy story

http://imgur.com/gallery/NYFS5VV

what incredible timing for that to be posted

Randomness
Oct 13, 2014, 06:50 PM
extra extra walking dead ripped off toy story

http://imgur.com/gallery/NYFS5VV

what incredible timing for that to be posted

That's kind of awesome.

But really, things copy each other all the damned time. Yeah, Destiny is the exact same game type as PSO.

PSO was more fun to me though... it's a bit dated now unfortunately.

Stealthcmc1974
Oct 13, 2014, 06:59 PM
That's kind of awesome.

But really, things copy each other all the damned time. Yeah, Destiny is the exact same game type as PSO.

PSO was more fun to me though... it's a bit dated now unfortunately.

I'd love to see a remake of the original PSO. SEGA would make tons if they did that, at least I think they would.

It'd probably be JP only though.

SurrealBrain
Oct 13, 2014, 08:14 PM
Things copy each other all the time. In many cases, the similarities can also be coincidental. I imagine the latter was what happened here

Of course, I never played Destiny (damn online-only requirement), so I don't know if I'm right on that.

gigawuts
Oct 13, 2014, 08:51 PM
Things copy each other all the time. In many cases, the similarities can also be coincidental. I imagine the latter was what happened here

Of course, I never played Destiny (damn online-only requirement), so I don't know if I'm right on that.

I doubt it was a coincidence, however I also doubt they directly riffed off of PSO - or, rather, PSO specifically.

Many of these predate PSO, and many are staples of this genre and/or other genres.

Games these days tend to be amalgamations of features found in other games. This isn't a bad thing, but an inevitable result of there simply being so many games.

List me one product IRL that doesn't use parts found in another product. Any. Even the screws, the type of sealant, anything at all. While that example isn't exactly the same, the point is conveyed.

So, it isn't what features the games have in common that define them, but how the features are arranged and what features they don't have in common.

But all of that is kind of obvious so.

Besides, like someone already mentioned, Borderlands feels like a pretty great PSO spiritual successor to me too. I haven't played Destiny, but I'd like to in a while after they've added a bunch more content and polished it up a bit. It sounds great, but I'm also told it's a bit lacking right now.

DreXxiN
Oct 14, 2014, 09:48 AM
From two months ago:

HMMMM.

Are you a wizard?!

Akaimizu
Oct 14, 2014, 12:10 PM
I'm fine with it, myself. I actually hope MORE games rip off or pay more homage to PSO. That way, those of us, in the West, will get more games of its ilk without having to resort to jumping through firewall hoops (or be restricted as to where we can play from) in order to play it.

landman
Oct 14, 2014, 03:15 PM
Only the tekker made me think of a possible homage to PSO, but I have not played Destiny, I don't know if other merchants have hoods or not (and I think not all tekkers had a hood but can't remember). Also, I have no idea if other games have item appraisers, I know in some games you use an item to open the "box" with a rare inside (some f2p make those items very rare but purchasable lol).

I know the differences between a MAG and that robot thing, I've seen some videos, and they are not alike, and everything else is either meaningless (blade dancing?...) or common in too many games (limit attack, character creation, abandoned colony, etc)

Randomness
Oct 14, 2014, 05:16 PM
I'm fine with it, myself. I actually hope MORE games rip off or pay more homage to PSO. That way, those of us, in the West, will get more games of its ilk without having to resort to jumping through firewall hoops (or be restricted as to where we can play from) in order to play it.

Oh definitely. I would love to get a fusion of PSO and Monster Hunter for instance. Or take anything by Platinum and mix with standard loot ARPG stuff. You get the idea. (Actually, PSO2 does have marked improvements in combat, but as usual with SEGA it screws stuff up too).

Vintasticvin
Oct 14, 2014, 05:25 PM
Sci-fi JARPG? Oh smurf yeah I'd totally be all over it like a Phashion model on new scratch day!

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 14, 2014, 08:08 PM
I suppose this does happen all the time. Even Phantasy Star has a world like Star Wars, but only has a few parts of it.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/620017-phantasy-star-collection-game-boy-advance-screenshot-ps1-stormtrooper.png

I suppose any connection could be made between two sources. For example there's so many games that retell the story of the bible. Chrono Trigger anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Sp62q2FAY

CelestialBlade
Oct 15, 2014, 07:17 AM
I suppose this does happen all the time. Even Phantasy Star has a world like Star Wars, but only has a few parts of it.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/620017-phantasy-star-collection-game-boy-advance-screenshot-ps1-stormtrooper.png

I suppose any connection could be made between two sources. For example there's so many games that retell the story of the bible. Chrono Trigger anyone?

Game Theory: Chrono Trigger Retells the BIBLE?!? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Sp62q2FAY)
And you're basically Jesus in Terranigma.

Vetur
Oct 16, 2014, 02:13 AM
I don't know, most of the things compared are common in any MMO or RPG-type game, so I'd call most of those coincidences(or maybe "inspiration")...

I guess I did get a little convinced when I saw the similarity with the identifier NPCs and shoulder robot, though.

If I recall correctly, I think that in an interview, they did mention PSO(or PSO2/PSU?) being inspired by the .Hack games.
It really does share similarities with the games as well, with the way maps are randomly generated and "teleported to" rather than walked to, and AI party mates.
Of course, they did make effort to make it pretty different, completely different story-wise.

Akaimizu
Oct 16, 2014, 02:51 AM
Hard to say PSO having any .hack influence since PSO predates .hack by about 2 years.
They pretty much established their brand of combat, level setup, and telepiping by then.
It even had NPC party mates, lest anybody forget about characters like Matha Graves.

One might think more that it perhaps had a Diablo influence, with a futuristic twist, since that kind of launched the whole real-time action, randomized dungeon layout, points of teleporting to jump back into action, thing. The biggest difference being the 3rd person 3d action game perspective.