PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Nova 9-minute trailer

LordKaiser
Nov 11, 2014, 11:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFIioVIHoKY

I can't wait for a Nova and PSO2 collaboration! Also I want to play Nova so hard!

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 12, 2014, 03:30 AM
I can't get over the fact lutina apparently does capoeira.

I can't get over the fact that I can't hate the characters from the get go like I did... just about everyone in pso2: episode 1.

Anything that's not copy paste trope characters spawned from otaku's wish fufillment feels like a damn blessing.

NoiseHERO
Nov 12, 2014, 03:40 AM
LOL why'd he run into that wall for 2 seconds.

Good job advertisement team.

Achelousaurus
Nov 12, 2014, 07:36 AM
I just read about the setting on wiki.
A planet where photons have no effect. I.e. a planet without light which must somehow be shielded from all light sources, including nearby suns, far away stars, any kind of action that can produce light, etc.

This is the common sense part of physics, sega. Fail this and it's not just "fantasy setting" but "total BS setting".

Houten
Nov 12, 2014, 09:36 AM
I thought Photon is not literally light, but more like JRPG "SPACE MANA"

Shadowth117
Nov 12, 2014, 10:33 AM
You know, for a "lightless planet" its pretty lit up. That is indeed really stupid of them...

Achelousaurus
Nov 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
I thought Photon is not literally light, but more like JRPG "SPACE MANA"
In the PSO series it is. It's all fine and dandy albeit still complete nonsense) when it used only as such but light consists of Photons.
Hence no photons = no light.

GoldenFalcon
Nov 12, 2014, 07:07 PM
But hey, twin machineguns get a stylish flip action like how melee weapons get the guard action.

Also, skills take up space like it's battle network or something.

Wondering if the town system will boil down to one reasonable setup with no reason to be unique

and the overblown floating parts on weapons. At least my Halos will look awesome.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Nov 12, 2014, 07:12 PM
In the PSO series it is. It's all fine and dandy albeit still complete nonsense) when it used only as such but light consists of Photons.
Hence no photons = no light.

Don't think there was any mention of photons = light. Care to bring your PSO2/nova source that says so? I say PSO2/PSnova source because so far there's no confirmed info about any other phantasy star games being within the same reality as PSO2/nova.

ShinMaruku
Nov 12, 2014, 07:27 PM
I always rated psn over pso2 because the team behind it is better.

GoldenFalcon
Nov 12, 2014, 07:42 PM
I just read about the setting on wiki.
A planet where photons have no effect. [sic]

This is the common sense part of physics, sega. Fail this and it's not just "fantasy setting" but "total BS setting".
Fine, I'll bite

The atmosphere has so much electromagnetic radiation that the photon reactors in their photon technology cannot stabilize and thus are unable to produce power, contained plasma, or transform the energy. Heck, it was probably all destroyed like EMP upon contact with the planet.

Noblewine
Nov 12, 2014, 10:16 PM
Meh. =/

Kondibon
Nov 12, 2014, 10:21 PM
When have Photons in the Phantasy Star settings EVER been the same thing as actual photons?

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 12, 2014, 10:23 PM
Fine, I'll bite

The atmosphere has so much electromagnetic radiation that the photon reactors in their photon technology cannot stabilize and thus are unable to produce power, contained plasma, or transform the energy. Heck, it was probably all destroyed like EMP upon contact with the planet.

How does that affect Photon techniques? Does the electromagnetic radiation affect the ARKS ability to use photons as a catalyst for their techniques, thus rendering them useless? Because ARKS don't even need technology to cast Techniques. Its more tied in with their latent psychic abilities as living beings, whereas rods and wands further amplify their technique casting but are not required.

I'm writing out a story and one thing I"m doing is to try to explain how the hell photons work realistically, so this whole "no photon use" planet that is clearly lit up doesn't sit well with me.

GoldenFalcon
Nov 12, 2014, 10:30 PM
How does that affect Photon techniques?
I put that under the term "transform the energy" while being vague on purpose. When they do not have a weapon with T-atk equipped, they have to use a less-advanced tool to cast the technics with no amplification. This tool is hidden from players. Edit: it's also why Casts can use technics

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 12, 2014, 11:05 PM
I put that under the term "transform the energy" while being vague on purpose. When they do not have a weapon with T-atk equipped, they have to use a less-advanced tool to cast the technics with no amplification. This tool is hidden from players. Edit: it's also why Casts can use technics

The way I'm defining it in my story, I used genetic engineering to explain how the psychic abilities were able to use photon energy as a catalyst upon its discovery (its circa PSO, when even CAST had some organic bits in them as androids). Its something I plan to keep throughout the whole story, even as it jumps timelines.

Yeah, don't get me started on why I'm jumping timelines.

Anyhow, I guess playing by PSO2's rules that makes sense. Still, way too "convenient" for my tastes SEGA.