PDA

View Full Version : A question for my fellow PSOers!

SuperCivilian
Apr 19, 2003, 12:22 PM
Ive been curious lately...it seems to me that many people play PSO for many different reasons. Im wondering what those reasons are. What got you into PSO and why do ya play it? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bored.gif

zimmk2vgc
Apr 19, 2003, 03:05 PM
THE BLOOD! THE CARNAGE! THE KILLING! THE DEATH! THE EXCITEMENT!

Scrub
Apr 19, 2003, 03:52 PM
I bought the game(though it hasn't arrived yet)for a few different reasons..

1.I like the ability to customize characters as much as possible. =D Nothing better than seeing yourself with some badass sword slicing the shit outta things.

2.I like Online Games. After I finally became so fed up with WarCraft 3(Blizzard stopped paying attention to the Original once beta-testing for TFT came out), that I saw this game, and since I had a gamecube, decided to get it. Unfortunately, it took me 2 months to get enough money, 1 month of it being sold out, and 4 months of my Gamecube being broke(It couldn't read games, for no apparent reason.)

3.My friend Tommy kept asking me 'Did you get the game yet?' EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It got incredibly annoying, and it was good to finally say 'YES, I DID BUY THE GAME!', and to see the look on his face.

4.It seems to be more based on teamwork, as an online game SHOULD be..*grumbleDIABLO2grumble*

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 19, 2003, 04:12 PM
Challenge mode leadership bossing around n00bs gets me off.

CorneliusPower
Apr 19, 2003, 04:38 PM
Gives me something to do when I'm not playing Counter-Strike on PC. ^__^
Oh and watching numbers increase on your characters lvl reeeeeeeeeeal slow, lvl 155 now, is a turn on!

2Xtreme
Apr 19, 2003, 05:06 PM
I bought it because, long ago, my friend was playing it on Dreamcast. I saw the game, tried it for a bit, and then said, "I have to own this!". So, I ran out to EB, bought a Dreamcast, PSO, a 4X Memory Card, and I was ready to go after PSO had been out for less than a week. Now, I've just been buying all the new versions.

SubstanceD
Apr 19, 2003, 05:16 PM
Purchasing PSO on the Dreamcast was an impulse purchase for me ( it also helped that I loved Phantasy Star 4 and wanted more Phantasy Star ).
I purchased PSO episodes 1 & 2 on the Gamecube because I enjoyed the dreamcast title so much.

As for why I enjoy PSO soo much, I wish I knew, there is just somthing about the gameplay that really apeals to me, the ability to decide on what your character looks like, raising his/her stats , raising a mag ( virtual pet ), the andrenalin rush of entering a level with only a handful of restorative items and having 10 enemies imediatly flock toward me with the intent to kill and believe me the feeling is mutual. The fact that I get to do all of the above things in the Phantasy Star Universe is a big plus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2003-04-19 15:17 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Apr 19, 2003, 05:57 PM
y did i buy PSO hmmmmmmm

SuperCivilian
Apr 20, 2003, 09:28 PM
Wow! Some very intersting reasons! I got it on dreamcst cause my lil brother was tellin me how awesome it was so to shut him up i got it! Been playin ever since!

Kthak
Apr 20, 2003, 09:58 PM
I saw my friend playing it on PSO... I watched him play that game every day before I went to work for months. Almost bought a DC with my bonus, spent on my mom instead, she rewarded me this past christmas with PSO for the GC.

Elentari
Apr 20, 2003, 11:27 PM
I watched my older brother play it for about a month before i got into it. Then i took over his DC. mwhaha...ended up breaking it(or so he says, im not the one who left it on by accident all night a couple times now am i?), then i got my own so i could play pso some more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Games where you can create your own character seem to attract me, its half the fun for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif It just kinda stuck....

Captain_Dude
Apr 20, 2003, 11:29 PM
I play it cause it's fun fun fun! I haven't really any other reasons, I just like to play...

kat
Apr 20, 2003, 11:30 PM
Customizable Characters was probably the biggest incentive for me. Online play is definitly a + , and I love the social aspect that is four player (or online) play.

For two years now at my boyfriend's work there has been a small PSO standy for the dreamcast version, and I always thought the name was neat and the characters looked cool, though I had no idea what it was. Then it came out on the Cube and he bought it. I got to try it with him, and was hooked. I'm not a great gamer, but this was simple enough for even me to get the basic hang of. A few weeks after playing with him, I bought a cube (my first game system since the supernintendo) and the game.

And now my brother his hooked and plays my cube instead of his X-box (doesn't have live so can't get the x-box version due to interenet lacking requirements).... my boyfriends' co-worker plays now, and so does a friend and his girlfriend too now. It's a great social thing for us...

SuperCivilian
Apr 20, 2003, 11:39 PM
Hmmm seems family or loved ones seems to be the biggest thing goin. The Xbox live is gonna be outrageous! Ya have to have broadband and pay almost three seprate fee's just to get online PLUS if ya dont have LIVE ya cant do online OR offline! but anyways.....back to the subject! lol! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

ShieldDragon
Apr 20, 2003, 11:41 PM
I bought it because I enjoyed PSIV so damn much. And... it's addicting...

Cross689
Apr 20, 2003, 11:54 PM
i realized that i dont like pso much with out other peeps to share your anger the fifth time u lose 300000 meseta you forgot to deposit i havent played in a month but am stil striving to get online after 5 months... hahahahhaha i will get online despite how badly things look and the 150+ dollars ive spent and got back cause of returns huahhahahahahh... damn im never gettin online...

EDIT: didnt respond to the topic well here it goes... i read an article in EGM that was outstandingly appealing but i didnt understand it one bit so i showed it to my cuz and it turned out he had the game and let me online which sealed the deal i was gettin the game. and i never got anything good on my own so i continue to play til i actually get good even then i will continue so long as im online...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross689 on 2003-04-20 22:00 ]</font>

SuperCivilian
Apr 21, 2003, 01:29 PM
Hmmm and yet the big opener is family or friends. Which by all means is not a bad thing but I wonder how many people just happened to find this game?

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 21, 2003, 02:09 PM
I love RPG's, I love helping people (online), I love my Cube. So what's better then an online RPG for the GC?

Goza
Apr 21, 2003, 02:59 PM
I used to play Asheron's Call and I love the online game format, but I don't like playing online because it eats your soul. I was basically waiting for that type of game to come out but that could be played offline. Also, I think PSIV is one of the better RPGs ever made, and that helped out.

Chernabog
Apr 21, 2003, 04:33 PM
I first saw PSO for the DC at the E3 Expo 2000. Being a pretty big fan of the Phantasy Star series I was excited about a lot of the things that Yuji Naka was doing with it (squashing rappys, international chat, etc). As soon as it was released I bought it, and have played every version released since (except now for the x-box version, which I probably won't get into since I have the GC one).

Though the original team of people I played with on the DC is dwindling, my little sister still plays so I stick with it. Having buds to play with is important in PSO. I'm also waiting for that story connection that really ties this game to the rest of the Phantasy Star series. Maybe the "Bottom of the Heart" quest will finally answer some of those questions! Wooo!

Starseed
Apr 21, 2003, 04:53 PM
1. Its the team mechanics of gameplay that I like.

2. Its a bit mindless and complete fun.

3. Its more addictive than crack.

DeLiRiUmTrIgGeR
Apr 21, 2003, 05:38 PM
Why, the poon of course..

MadCowChuck_
Apr 21, 2003, 05:45 PM
If it weren't for PSO...why, my life would be in shambles!

Where else can you kill things that look like turtles, and small flying things, and some fish creatures, as well as use fireballs and dress all in red or green?

...what?

SuperCivilian
Apr 21, 2003, 11:32 PM
aha.....a few more interesting reasons....yes...interesting... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif