PDA

View Full Version : Locking Mag Shapes

Cliftonium
Feb 16, 2001, 08:18 PM
Hey All-

I'm trying to confirm a theory I have about locking a mag's shape. I have a Redria/HUnewearl, and I wanted to get a pair of Ribhava (available only to type-A forces). I finally got my MAG to level 49, and gave it to a trusted Force-A to feed it the final Antidote to get it to change, and it did. =) Happily, I took the lv50 mag back and started feeding it again, and it changed back into Ila.

*grumble*

So looking through nozedive13's FAQ (Thanks!), I saw that mags don't evolve once their def is 45. I also know that if I feed a mag that's not at a evolution point (level/5), it doesn't evolve. So my theory is that to lock the mag's shape, I'll need to get it's def to 44. Get the force-A to get it to shapechange into Ribhava, then level it in say, DEX or PWR. Once that's done, get it back and raise the DEF value to 45.

It's taking a LONG time to get DEF up there though. Like 30 minutes per DEF point. I was wondering if anyone out there can confirm this theory.

(note: this won't work for forces; they have special evolutions at DEF-45...)

=) Cliftonium

DCKaz
Feb 16, 2001, 08:48 PM
Hey while you're doing this some more mag change questions -

If I get a mag from any other class/section id does it:

conform to what that mag would look like on me if I had raised it?
change any/all of the photon charges to what I would normally get?

Or does it maintain previous look and all photon charges?

Keep thinking as a Force I want other charges.. heh..

I mean heal (resta is better!) and deband/shifta (mag does for bosses, and we have the option of casting if we're worried about it) as the first two.. oh well.

DCKaz

Cliftonium
Feb 16, 2001, 08:55 PM
Actually, what I've found out is that the Photon Blasts are gained at levels 10, 35, 50, 55, (every level divisible by 5), 200. So what you'll need to do is get a mag near the level you want, and then give it to the character who can evolve it to the MAG that has the blast you want.

If you get a MAG from another class/section ID, as you raise it, it maintains it's original form (I believe) between levels 10-50. What that means, is if another class/section ID gives you their level 10 MAG, it will evolve as following their class tree. (i.e. forces get Kalki, Shumba/Ashvinau/Namuchi). However, once it hits lv50, it follows your class tree. Which is why I'm trying to figure out how to lock the MAGs shapes.

Interestingly enough, the MAG retains the costume color of the person who gave it to you. I created Nea (Blue), and Shugotenshi (White). Transferred Shugotenshi's MAG to Nea, and since it stayed white, I now have a pair of white-topped Varaha MAGs.

Chez trendy

=) Cliftonium

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Cliftonium on 2001-03-30 16:59 ]</font>

Xaken
Feb 22, 2001, 07:07 PM
I've done a bit of testing with trading/shared rasied MAGs myself. Sadly I can only conferm what you already know.

I have several examples to prove wehat you said about levels 10 - 50. If a Force raises a MAG to level 10, it will stay a Force type MAG until level 50 regadless of who raises it. At level 50 the MAG will then follow the rules of the feeder.

MAGs will retain shapes for certain periods, since normal evolution is only possible every 5 levels. So if you are a Hunter with a level 142 Ranger MAG it should be good up to level 145.

What i found really weird is how flexable a MAG is when it IS at a evolution (ei: every 5 levels after 50). I took my level 74 MAG (I being a Ranger) and gave it to a Hunter so she could feed it a Antidote. The MAG grew to 75 (as i knew it would) and evolved to a Hunter B-Type MAG.

What i didn't expect was what happen next. The very first item I fed the MAG made it evolve back to a Ranger type. It seems that as long as the MAG is at the evolution junction, and doesn't leave that level, it can evolve like crazy, with every item it's feed in fact (if you hand it around each time).

It you want a MAG to hold shape for any lenght of time to have to ask some one to raise it past the evolution junction.

Anyway. Here is what I'd suggest to you: since all MAGs end up on level 200, they are in a prime spot to change. Get you MAG to that level yourself, and then find a friend. You'll just have to never feed it again after that. If you're careful to always drop your MAGs in storage at the end of a game (hence saving you from Sync loss) you'll do fine.

Cliftonium
Feb 22, 2001, 07:31 PM
That sounds good Xaken; however I found that if I don't feed my mag (Bhirava/Varaha) continuously and regularly, it stops giving me that much-loved invulnerability that lets me go on a direnian killing spree in the ruins. I've maintained the IQ and SYNC at 200/120.

Something I also discovered: I think it's possible for a MAG to gain a photon blast after level 50. My mag (Varaha) has only two blasts, since I raised it from MAG form; it has Falla (from Varuna form), and Golla (from Varaha, and Rudra forms). I think if I give it to my hunter-b friend at an evolution point, it may learn Pilla (from Kama form)... I'd do this, but I'd rather keep the slot open just in case getting a mag cell or heart gives it a special-special photon blast =)

Xaken
Feb 23, 2001, 04:13 AM
I can understand wanted to keep the slot open, but I don't think MAG cell MAGs have Photon blasts. From other posts on this board I know that at least one person has tired this and no blast was gained.

As for not feeding making for unhelpful MAGs.. that's a really good point. I didn't know that happened, it's never even crossed my mind. I wonder how important that is. I was beginning to believe that my MAG stopped helping just because it believed I didn't need it anymore.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Xaken on 2001-02-23 01:29 ]</font>

KarnaJ
Feb 23, 2001, 10:21 AM
Just wanted to add my experience with mag cells. I didn't like the mag that cell 502 would give my FOnewm, who is an ORAN, that's a type B section ID, so I gave the cell and my mag to a friend who is a type A, REDRIA, and she gave him the cell, changing him into soniti. When she gave him back, I forgot to put him in the bank, and when I came back the syncro dropped. I decided I needed to feed it, and if it changed into the mag I would have got, oh well, but when I fed it, it stayed a Soniti. So, giving a mag a mag cell locks it's form.

Xaken
Feb 23, 2001, 11:30 AM
God, i should hope so. If you spend all that damn time getting a MAG cell and then it just changed back I'd throw my DC out the window.

MB
Feb 23, 2001, 04:41 PM
ahaha tru dat! I still dont believe that the special mags can gove a new photon blast... Even if it gives you one thats already available, it should give you one..

Gureo
Feb 27, 2001, 04:20 AM
Hey guys, Well I ran across this thread, but unfortunately it was too late. I myself was raising Mags with 3 seperate characters. I wanted to eveolve Mags that my type - B Hunewearl couldn't on her own. Unfortunately, once I evolved them & passed them on to her, after a few feedings they all evolved into Hunter type - B mags ....arrrgh !!! Now my Hunewearl has 8 Mags & don't know what to do.

Have you guys had any luck in locking the Mag shapes? I was thinking of raising them on my own & then hand them over to a friend for the final feedings up to lvl 200 & max sync / iq to get the evoloutions taht I want. I did notice that most of the mag charts sepecify that DEF be under 44. Will going over 44 lock the mag evoloution or just change it into something else?
My char. is only around level 30 now, so I don't have any Mags over level 80 (actually I have 8 mags in the level 50 -80 range ...ha ha !!) Anyway, I was wondering, since feeding the Mag will affect its evoloution at apparently any time after lvl. 50, do you still have to feed your Mag once its stats have maxed at lvl 200 , max sync. & iq (& you even keep it in the bank to avoid losing the 5% sync. when quitting)???? Some people said that their mag gets 'upset' with out continued feedings, but if its stats are all maxed out, why should you need to still feed it?

Another issue that I am hoping you guys can help with is mag colors. I really like my Bana Mag, but a purple Mag with a purple outfit??? Purple overload..... Call me PSO fashion concious, but I'm thinking white or light grey would be a much better color to go with my sexy Hunewearl. I read somewhere that mags retain the color of the character that originally found it. However, with the Mags that I transferred, they all adjusted to my Hunewearls outfit color once they re-evolved into type - B Hunter mags....they didn't retain their original owners colors.

Maybe I'm going a little overboard on the Mag deal with getting down to colors & such, but I really am racking my brain to figure out how to equip. my purple costume type - B Hunewearl with a white / grey colored type - A Hunter Ila Mag & have it NOT regress !!! You guys also seemeda bit interested in this stuff, so I would appreciate any input / personal experiences on this issue.

BTW, I also noticed that Mags adjust their size & proprtions to the character who equips them. I had a huge, broad-shouldered RAcast raise some Kaitabha Mags. On him they were large & spaced far apart, but that same Mag equipped on my petite HUnewearl were much smaller & spaced very close together. Just an observation...

thanks....

Gureo
Feb 28, 2001, 09:40 AM
just givin this thread a *bump* here...

The main thing I'm interested in is if anyone's had any luck in locking the Mag shapes? I was thinking of raising my 8 MAGs on my own & then hand them over to a friend for the final feedings up to lvl 200 & max sync / iq to get the evoloutions that I want. But I don't want the MAGs to regress to my character type MAGs once I get them back.

To any high level players out there...do you still have to feed your Mag once its stats have maxed at lvl 200 , max sync. & iq (& you even keep it in the bank to avoid losing the 5% sync. when quitting)???? Some people said that their mag gets 'upset' without continued feedings, but if its stats are all maxed out, why should you need to still feed it? I have a feeling that even feeding a MAG with maxed out stats that someone else raised would still cause it to regress.

Any help ?? thanks...

Star_Angel
Feb 28, 2001, 11:14 AM
I think Mags just change thier location. My friend gave me a despratas (sp http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_confused.gif) a while ago, it looked fine on him, but once I equiped it... it was FREEKING HUGE... I couldn't even see myself, only my boots http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

I think the only way you can lock a mag permanently is to get it to 200 with 120%sync 200 IQ, and then place it in the bank when you leave the game (Your mag will still change if you feed it at 200 unless it changed via. cell)

Xaken
Feb 28, 2001, 07:15 PM
I'm almost sure that there is no way to lock a MAGs shape, at most it will hold for 4 levels.

Ok, I'll make something perfectly clear, MAG are capable of evolution every 5 levels after 50 (ei: level = 50 + 5x). I call these levels "evolution junctions". Now most people think that it's just getting to the level of an evolution junction that can make a MAG evolve. This is false. A MAG can infact be evolved at ANY TIME during such a level.

Example:

You could have a level 134 MAG. You get it to level 135, and it changes. You then feed it a little more. Say the MAG is half way to 136 when you hand it to a friend. Assuming they have a different class or belong to the other guild division, the MAG will again change. If they hand it back (and it's still on 135) your feeding it will make it change yet again.

since 200 = 50 + 5x, a MAG is not locked into one shape at level 200. I hand my 200 MAG to friends all the time just to see what it becomes when they feed it.

The only MAGs that will stay put are MAG cell MAGs. I would guess that the only way to change them is with some other MAG cell (if even that).

All you can really do is just get your MAG the way you want it and never feed it again. This most likely has consiquences though since your MAG will probably stop supporting you ("no Shifta/Deband for you!).

Gureo
Mar 1, 2001, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys...That may save me from wasting my time in trying to build up all 8 of my MAGs & swap them with other section ID's. No point if they're just gonna regress...

Just another quick question though. Why would you need to keep feeding a level 200 MAG with 200 IQ & 120 syncro? If you kept it in the bank before saves, its syncro shouldn't drop, right? Even maintaining max stats, will the MAG slowly stop helping you, failing to automatically cast defense spells, etc., just because you don't cram a few 'mates & 'fluids into it's bottomless void of a mouth???
Sorry if this seems obvious, but my highest Mag is only lvl. 90 or so, so I haven't had the chance to experience maintaining a maxed out MAG....

Oh, also...any more input on the MAGs color?? If you get a black VARAHA from your A-type hunter friend...raise it & it evolves into a B- type hunter's KAMA ...will it turn into a black KAMA, or regrees to your characters (grey for me) color within that evoloution???

I noticed that highlight colors on the MAGs tend to vary from player to player (the luminescent Photon parts???)...but are the overall main colors of the MAG standardized ?? (IE.. are all ILA's purple & green, regardless of your characters costume color ?)

Again, sorry if these seem like obvious questions... I'd appreciate any help...

Cliftonium
Mar 1, 2001, 07:13 AM
Hey All-

*FINALLY* I think I'm getting my mag to the point where I can test out my evolution theory. I'm aiming to get it's def to 44 tonight, then pass it off to a Force-A to evolve it to level 90 (dang, raising DEF is an arduous process). If all goes well, I'll have a shiny blue penguin (Naraka) floating at my side, PERMANENTLY, and I can still feed it whatever I want, and it'll stay a Naraka...

I'll post tommorow when I find out! =)

Gureo
Mar 4, 2001, 05:15 AM
Hey Cliftonium,
Any luck with getting that MAG to lock it's shape by putting its DEF over 44 ??? Enquiring minds wanna know.... thanks

Cliftonium
Mar 5, 2001, 07:36 AM
Argh!

So I had a friend evolove the mag to Naraka, and then level it, so that I could spend time raising it's DEF to 45 by the next evolution point. Sadly, when it hit level 95 (45/43/7/5), it morphed back to a Varaha.

I also spent some time raising it a few more levels, and it seems like at every evolution point, I can give it to other players and have them evolve it to a different shape.

*sigh*. Well, this mag is a good present to my lowbie. DEF45 ain't half bad to have in the ruins on normal.

=) Cliftonium =)

Gureo
Mar 5, 2001, 12:05 PM
Oh man...That SUCKS big time. I've been raising 8 differnt MAGS's , all working on their DEF in order to hand them off & have friends evolve & lock them into MAGs that I cant. I guess the 'DEF must be < 44' stipulation is only for the special example MAGs like Andaka & Bana where putting it over 45 is a requiment of the evoloution.

Now it looks like my type-B hunter will never have an Ila Mag ): unless I never feed it. After a while it would probablly get mad at my negligence & cast shifa & deband on enemies... >:

Magus-PSO
Mar 5, 2001, 02:38 PM
Can my Bana (mag lvl 200) change its shape if I give it a MAG cell?

Cliftonium
Mar 6, 2001, 12:06 AM
Hey Gureo;

I'm wondering if there may be other factors other than DEF<44 that may influence MAG shape locking. I feel bad having my one and only penguin (Naraka) floating over my shoulder, and NOT being able to feed it, because I'm quite tired of looking at my Varahas. Right now, the MAG's defense is 50; I'm gonna see if I give it to other players to feed, if it'll actually change. Let me know how your magxperiment goes.

=( Cliftonium

Magus-PSO: I don't know; I haven't found a single cell as of yet (03/05/01)

Let me know i

Cliftonium
Mar 28, 2001, 11:11 PM
Okay-

So after a little more work and pondering on the porcelain throne about MAG shape locking, I think there's only one true way to lock a mag's shape (this is regardless of the DEF-45 rule; which I believe is only a disclaimer since forces have special evolutions at DEF45+)

You'll have to raise a mag to lv195 (for maximum effect) and have the person you want to evolve the mag into it's final shape feed it until it goes to lv196. Once this is done, you can freely raise it over the next three levels (until lv199). Once you're at lv199 though, you end up feeding it foods that oppose each other, and just make sure that it doesn't go to lv200 (i.e. on varaha: Difluid/Dimate, raises sync too).

Heh, of course, now I get this after I've raised 3 lv200 mags. Oh well, at least Nezumi has a bunch of lv150+ mags that I can use for experimentation...

-Cliftonium-

Gureo
Mar 29, 2001, 03:37 AM
Hey Cliftonium,
That's a pretty nifty idea there & theres no reason why it shouldn't work !!! & you even get to keep your MAGs SYNC & DEX maxed with the alternate feedings !!! Very Cool ! Just gotta be really careful about those feedings ...one mistaken item & BAM, it evolves for it's last time & you're forever stuck with it !!
I kinda gave up on trying to lock shapes after you reported that the DEF > 45 trick didn't work. I actually started a new MAG experiment where I transferred seperate red, white, black, orange, & blue colored MAGs from other characters to my main character (purple). I'm going to raise them all & see how different they turn out. I thought that all level 3 MAGs were a standard color with unique highlights, but I've heard of red/ green BANA's & yellow/ grey ILA's....Got a long ways to go, though....
Anyway, with your new idea, I can get my Whitill hunter an ILA MAG in a few short levels !! Very Cool !! Thanks 4 the post !

Cliftonium
Mar 29, 2001, 03:40 PM
Hey Gureo-

Since my character's stats are pretty much all maxxed out (except mind/hp/tp), I went ahead and built a Ushashu mag last night, and raised it to level 89, passed it off to a Hunter-B friend of mine (Crunch!) and he converted it to Soma for me. Now I have a pretty funky mag that I rarely see other people using. Next up? The waffle-iron mag (force-mag) and the back-shelf (ranger-mag).

And who says that the special mags are better?

=) Cliftonium

Gureo
Mar 30, 2001, 01:00 AM
Cool...hey, Cliftonium...you're a type-A hunter, right? What colors are the ILA & VARAHA MAGs that you evolve? (Also, what color is your characters outfit?

If it's cool with you, maybe whenever I get these MAGs all up to level 190+ (which may take a while), I could hand them over to you for the final evoloution (I really want a cool ILA & VARAHA !!!)....also, I am a type-B hunter, so if you want me to evolve a BANA, APSARAS, etc. for you, just ask !!

later...

Cliftonium
Mar 30, 2001, 07:58 PM
Hey Gureo-

Yep; both of my characters (Nezumi, Nea) are type-A hunters. Nea's a blue costume character, and Nezumi is one of the special costumes, so I believe (though haven't confirmed this) that she gets a random mag color on each new mag she picks up equips.

Either way, I would be more than happy to help you perform the final evolution for your mags. I personally don't like Ila too much (it reminds me of two vampire fangs about to bite into my character), but I really like the Varahas I have. My suggestion is to raise the white mag you have to where it would be as a Varaha, so when I convert it over to Varaha, it'll be white topped. And from what I understand, the white tops are quite visible in dark rooms. =) As for converting a mag for me, I'd love to have a Garuda (I used to have one with my other lowbie: Shugotenshi), so I'll have to start workin on that.

Though I wish that there really were a way to lock the lv-2 mags; there's two ranger mags that I really really wish I could get (and keep) on my character: Surya (I have a lv49 one), and Tapas.

Send me a pvt/message so we can arrange a meeting to swap guild cards for future reference.

-= Cliftonium =-

Gureo
Apr 2, 2001, 02:23 AM
Hey Cliftonium,
I just sent you a private message. Write to my E-mail, because I log onto PSO world irregularly.
later....