PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Showdown...(feedback)

Neojin
Mar 8, 2001, 02:52 PM
Well i had been researching and reasearching for quite awhile. My Voodoo 3000 is really starting to dates itself. And now that 3dfx is no more, its even more reason to jump ship.

Of course without a doubt the GeForce 2 Ultra is the best thing on market, but with its price still pushing the 400 mark and with very few games coming out that will be able to push it to its limits, the GeForce GTS is the most economic choice.

I'm looking at two cards:

[b]Leadtek GeForce 2 GTS 64MB AGP Retail with TV-OUT[b]

Hardware Features Second Generation Nvidia GeForce2 Chipset. On Board 128-Bit 64MB -5.5ns DDR Memory DVD software included 350 MHz RAMDAC AGP 4X/2X, AGP texturing and Fast Write supports Microsoft DirectX and OpenGL Optimizations and support DirectX Texture Compression & S3TC support Per-Pixel Shading 32-bit Z/Stencil Buffer Second Generation Integrated Transform and Lighting (T&L) Engines High-Performance Hardware Anti-Aliasing Drivers Support for Win 9X, Win ME, Win NT4, Win2K Leadtek WinFox system utility .

[b]GUILLEMOT 3D Prophet II GTS PRO 64MB DDR AGP With TV/OUT OEM[b]

The most anticipated high-velocity GPU combined with Hercules Hardware Design innovation. Incorporates NVIDIA?'s latest Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance leader, GeForce2 Pro, optimized for DDR Hercules runs its 3D boards at the fastest achievable speed. Outrageous speed Ultra-fast 64MB DDR memory offers turbo-boosted 3D performance in games requiring large texture buffers. This enables it to:load and map textures more quickly - increase the benefit of GeForce2 Pro's multiple pipelines architecture 4 dual - texturing pipelines, mapping 8 texels per clock cycle to generate 1.6 GigaTexels per second and 25 million triangles per second for mind-blowing frame rates 200MHz core clock, 400MHZ DDR RAM clock delivering a 6.4GB memory bandwidth 4X AGP with Fast Writes / AGP 2X compatible.

I can get the Winfast GTS for $240 and I can get the Prophet GTS Pro for $275.

My question is, is the Pro going to mean anything? I mean 35 bucks is 35 bucks. They both have excelent benchmarks. The only thing I could see myself lean more towards is the Prophet only because it is a more widely know and sold brand, however the Winfast (Leadtek) does have a good reputations its just not as commercialy know as Guillimont.

Any feedback is welcomed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif