PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

neilp4453
Jan 17, 2015, 03:44 PM
How does this game compare to PSU? From what I've read...we have gotten the shaft with this game as well. That changes next month and I've been thinking about getting a DS just for this game.

The real question is...will I love it?

NoiseHERO
Jan 17, 2015, 03:52 PM
I have the demo, it's super fun.

compared to PSO2, definitely breath of fresh air, but for handheld the controls are kind of a hassle to get used to.

iono much else about monhan,

Pirrip
Jan 19, 2015, 04:38 AM
MH4G/U is great. I've been playing it since it's release, and it's not too hard to control really. I use the extra slide-pad peripheral, but lots of people I know play without it with no issues.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 20, 2015, 10:57 AM
I never been into MH games on handhelds (Tri and 3U on Wii U pretty much) but the one I did play, Portable3rd, make my fingers hurt after 30 mins of play or so, specially when walking.

I did order the MH4U New 3ds pack (since Majora's Mask version is fucking sold out everywhere) so I will play it but I still have to try the demo. I just hope it controls better then on the PSP...

neilp4453
Jan 20, 2015, 01:00 PM
I'm def. thinking about getting a DS now. Do you guys think it is worth getting the 3D model? I'm thinking the 3D XL model might give me the best experience but the 2D model is so cheap.

I'd probably be able to score a 2d model for under $100. But I'm leaning towards a regular 3D model since I could score that for around $120.

I'd be playing this and Smash mainly.

EDIT: Looks like they have a new model with a C-stick...is this worth it? I'm trying to keep the cost low so if they have alternate ways to handle the "c-stick function," I'll stick with the older models.

Vintasticvin
Jan 20, 2015, 01:06 PM
I got friends trying to get me on the hype train and will be getting thr demo when it comes put.

neilp4453
Jan 20, 2015, 01:16 PM
Also, how this this game work?

It doesn't seem like there are different types of weapons of each variety but there is different armor sets.

I assume you can gather mats and create items as well (judging from the wiki).

I read they have online lobbies..true?

The Walrus
Jan 20, 2015, 01:59 PM
There are different upgrades paths for each weapon type

NoiseHERO
Jan 20, 2015, 03:18 PM
i hate capcom almost as much as sega but give this game your money instead of pso2.

strikerhunter
Jan 20, 2015, 04:09 PM
Also, how this this game work?
Not the generic hack-n-slash game as it appears to be. If you go in mindless the you're good as dead as the jaggi next to you.

It doesn't seem like there are different types of weapons of each variety but there is different armor sets.
There are a total of 14 different weapon type and 2 armor types (but different armor sets with different benefits).
Weapons: Each weapon tree can be upgraded into another weapon type depending on the upgrade lines. Example Sword-n-shield -->Dual Sword. Great Sword -->Longsword, etc.
-Sword-n-shield
-Longsword
-Switch Axe
-Lance
-Gunlance
-Bow
-Heavybow gun
-Lightbow gun
-Insect glave (new)
-Charge Axe (new)
-Hammer
-Hunting Horn
-Great Sword
-Dual Sword

Armor types:
-Blademaster (melees)
-Gunmaster (rangers)

I assume you can gather mats and create items as well (judging from the wiki).
Yes.

I read they have online lobbies..true?
Yes. However I don't think the lobbies will be like Tri's and 3U's, those had a city area as a lobby. The only other "lobby" is where you get your party at which is the guild hall.

NoiseHERO
Jan 20, 2015, 04:24 PM
how solo frandly is light bowgun when frands are at work.

I like the long range debuffing/support/sniping

strikerhunter
Jan 20, 2015, 04:46 PM
how solo frandly is light bowgun when frands are at work.

I like the long range debuffing/support/sniping

Very friendly in groups but you have to be aware of what ammo you are using, when to reload, and be aware of friendly firing staggering your teammates which can be fatal at times. You also have to be aware that healing bullets can heal monsters as well if you miss. Basically make every shot count because once you're out of ammo you are useless other than doing rodeo on the monsters for guarantee stuns.

Soloing with just about any range weapon isn't very friendly to beginners and you may struggle to find the right time to stand-n-shoot (let alone aiming as well + recoil). You'll have to utilize bombs for stagger locks, rodeo ride, dazing, traps, flash bombs (MH version of flash bangs), etc. to give you a clean shot without getting yourself into trouble.

The only monsters you should have trouble soloing with LBGs are the faster monsters and airborne wyvern.

NoiseHERO
Jan 20, 2015, 04:49 PM
well being first monhan game, guess I'll have another setup for solo playing then. @_@

my other favorite was sword n shield.

DJcooltrainer
Jan 21, 2015, 09:28 AM
I ended up pre-ordering it after playing the demo. I've got an XL with a CPP, and the controls feel pretty tight for a handheld game. Much better than Monster Hunter on the PSP, at least. Can't compare it to MH3U since I played that on the Wii U.

Does anyone know if this game actually benefits from the New 3DS hardware? I'm considering upgrading sometime, but I kind of want to hold out for a Xenoblade Chronicles 3D edition. (pls nintendo)

NoiseHERO
Jan 21, 2015, 09:44 AM
upgrade apparently has better textures, and you can use the c-stick to control the camera instead needing the attachment older 3DS uses.

probably more but that's all I heard.

strikerhunter
Jan 21, 2015, 09:50 AM
I ended up pre-ordering it after playing the demo. I've got an XL with a CPP, and the controls feel pretty tight for a handheld game. Much better than Monster Hunter on the PSP, at least. Can't compare it to MH3U since I played that on the Wii U.

Does anyone know if this game actually benefits from the New 3DS hardware? I'm considering upgrading sometime, but I kind of want to hold out for a Xenoblade Chronicles 3D edition. (pls nintendo)

From what I've the new 3DS lessons the loading screen by a major margin because of a stronger hardware.

I'm jelly of you because the MH4U x 3DS XL Bundle has been soldout 2 days after the Nintendo Direct.

Akaimizu
Jan 21, 2015, 09:59 AM
The game also supposedly upgrades to 60fps framerate on the New 3DS systems.

NoiseHERO
Jan 21, 2015, 02:33 PM
game currently 27 smackies on amazon tho.

I don't ever pre-order anything but a deals a deal.

Vintasticvin
Jan 21, 2015, 03:21 PM
O.o I need to pre order mines as well D: Hopefully it doesn't ends up in my eternal backlog like Pokemon Y, Omega Ruby, Gunvolt, Destiny, Halo 3, Disgaea, freedom wars, project diva, Ragnarok Odyssey list is pretty long xD but im ready to give Mh a try

Chrysheight
Jan 21, 2015, 06:18 PM
The game's pretty fun Vin. If I can get it, (Majora's Mask is a priority for me over MH4U) we should play together.

Outrider
Jan 21, 2015, 06:48 PM
Huh, I guess I got one of the demo codes for the game. I'll have to check it out when I get home. I haven't played Monster Hunter since my brief affair with Tri on the Wii.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 22, 2015, 08:13 AM
Pre-ordered the special MH4U New 3ds (since MM edition is unobtainable after like 5 hours of announcement) and bought MM separated. Also got demo code from a friend, guess I'll give it a shot soonish, never been too fond of MH on the PSP so I hope 3ds is better for it.

neilp4453
Jan 22, 2015, 07:30 PM
I am about to pull the trigger on a pre-owned Nintendo 3DS (regular one). I hope I don't need the c-stick feature down the road.

Vintasticvin
Jan 22, 2015, 07:49 PM
I am about to pull the trigger on a pre-owned Nintendo 3DS (regular one). I hope I don't need the c-stick feature down the road.

-_- F*** I gotta buy a new 3DS just to play the game?!

NoiseHERO
Jan 22, 2015, 08:24 PM
Whad? says who?

Cause I don't want an XL so keepin' my normal 3DS <_>

strikerhunter
Jan 22, 2015, 09:06 PM
Game's compatiable for both XL and regular 3DS.

RAcast Extremist
Jan 22, 2015, 09:59 PM
-_- F*** I gotta buy a new 3DS just to play the game?!

You don't need a new 3DS to play the game. The C-stick is only for controlling the camera.

Akaimizu
Jan 23, 2015, 12:31 PM
Not only that, but the game has two extra things to make camera work a lot easier.
1. An on-screen d-pad on the right side for manual camera control.
2. A view-direction camera system for actual large monsters brought in from MH3U. You can toggle the ability on the touch screen. Tghen pressing L, when the large monster is there, will auto-face it.

Randomness
Jan 24, 2015, 12:32 AM
Not only that, but the game has two extra things to make camera work a lot easier.
1. An on-screen d-pad on the right side for manual camera control.
2. A view-direction camera system for actual large monsters brought in from MH3U. You can toggle the ability on the touch screen. Tghen pressing L, when the large monster is there, will auto-face it.

Also, the demo's d-pad isn't representative of the final version... assuming its the same as 3U you can slide the D-pad around a lot and resize it. It's awkward not having it in the same layout in the demo I do in 3U.

Also, Charge Blade is so nice.

The Walrus
Jan 24, 2015, 08:57 AM
Man, demo Gore/Gou is really disappointing.

I know it's probably just a low rank or something but damn that was easy :/

Freshellent
Jan 24, 2015, 02:48 PM

It's definitely not going to be like the real one. It's low high rank stuff and with the rest of the breeds in the game it will ramp up like usual.

strikerhunter
Jan 24, 2015, 04:03 PM

Is to be expected as he is a flagship monster and probably just the low rank. I know he has several new moves in G rank, but there is the adult version and the chaos version that are much harder.

Randomness
Jan 25, 2015, 12:20 AM
Is to be expected as he is a flagship monster and probably just the low rank. I know he has several new moves in G rank, but there is the adult version and the chaos version that are much harder.

Also, the demo has you fairly overgeared.

The Walrus
Jan 25, 2015, 08:31 PM
It's definitely not going to be like the real one. It's low high rank stuff and with the rest of the breeds in the game it will ramp up like usual.

Also, the demo has you fairly overgeared.

Oh I know. I just expected something more like 3U demo Plesioth where it felt like I had barely enough time :/

strikerhunter
Jan 25, 2015, 08:41 PM
Oh I know. I just expected something more like 3U demo Plesioth where it felt like I had barely enough time :/

Plessy? That thing is just plain horribly designed and a nightmare just about to everyone regardless of gear....thank god he isn't returning. *looks back at 2nd Gen*

Mantiskilla
Jan 26, 2015, 06:46 PM
Original MH Plessy with full screen hitbox IMO will always be the worst. Ugh impossible to dodge the hip attack. Plus you had to use frogs to fish it out to start the battle otherwise it just sat in the water?! Damn such an AI flaw all around with the original

Akaimizu
Jan 27, 2015, 10:07 AM
Plessy's hitbox was basically fixed in the MH3 series. Still, I felt I was one of the only ones who actually dodged the hipcheck in the Freedom series. It did become a running joke, though. People would come up with hipcheck jokes about how far away the actual move can be and still hit. Jokes like in another zone.

Saegusa Kii
Jan 29, 2015, 07:50 PM
pretty nice

Vampy
Feb 4, 2015, 09:51 AM
Why did I not see this before >.> Anywho seeing as this demo entertained me far more than 3U ever did I am truly looking forward to it. To me 3U doesn't exist it's nothing to me but fanservice in preparation for mh4/u. I've been playing MH from the very start and 3U in general sickened me how easy it was in comparison to other games even mh3 I feel with it's limited content.

Akaimizu
Feb 11, 2015, 01:49 PM
To be fair. MH3 and MH3U sort of did what it had to do in order to increase the overseas audience. In that, it was kind of rather successful being a pretty active community. They also marked the first times, for which it was a lot easier for western audiences to find someone to play with.

Even so, I feel it still had a good amount of satisfaction of overcoming higher hunter ranks, for a lot of people.

MH4/U is definitely the game that turns it up with the community they acquired. The game that said, "Ok. Now you know MH3U, you're ready for this."

This is more typical of Capcom than you think. They often do the 3 times a charm thing with their fighting games, too. First, a revamp or rebirth, then something a bit more expanded and inviting, then the fully featured combo for the Vets, old and new.

ChocoboRRR
Feb 12, 2015, 12:05 AM
Plessy? That thing is just plain horribly designed and a nightmare just about to everyone regardless of gear....thank god he isn't returning. *looks back at 2nd Gen*

1) Herioc drink + Adrenalish Gear + Heavy Bowgun build
2) Bomb yourself to 1 hp
3) Fish out one of the duel G rank Plesioth and pew pew about 10 sec
4) ????
5) Profit!

2nd Gen is also funny that you can lock down G rank Blue Lao preventing him movement is that the reason why it got removed on 3rd stalement?

Gunbladelad
Feb 13, 2015, 04:09 PM
I've got myself a copy of MH4U now, but I may be getting a New 3DS within the next week - within the next 3 weeks for certain (well, hopefully).

For those of you with the older 3DS (I've not read through all the topic) - I'd recommend getting the Circle Pad Pro - it makes the controls far better.

Akaimizu
Feb 13, 2015, 04:26 PM
It does, but the whole thing felt kind of big and clunky in my hands. I mostly played MH3U without the Circle Pad Pro due to how well the on-screen D-pad worked for me. I pretty much had all the camera control I needed, with that. Sure, not as good as an actual physical right stick, but given what I need for camera (rotation, mainly) I was good, and didn't need it that much thanks to the Monster targeting mechanic. It certainly beats "The claw" by a mile.

NoiseHERO
Feb 14, 2015, 01:49 AM
is fun i got it, is fun

Akaimizu
Feb 23, 2015, 03:26 PM
Just took down the Chupacabra....er...Chimichanga...er Tetsucabra in the offline scenario. Love the new additions, so far. Seems whenever new terrain types are added, new monsters that specifically use it arrive.

I've been specifically concentrating on Light Bowgun, for a change. A weapon I barely touched since Monster Hunter Freedom and the beginning of Monster Hunter Freedom 2. Definitely interesting to come back to after a long time with Melee weapons.

I've only made one new Bowgun craft, some upgrades, but have been waiting for materials for the next LBG or Dual Blades. And all this is for my secondary.

My first character is running the Great Sword, but I'm really really used to that weapon now. I figured, I start with him just because of taking a familiar weapon to new monsters.

Freshellent
Feb 23, 2015, 06:59 PM
The new movesets to the existing weapons are quite welcome. I think I've mentioned before, but I think it's sort of a shame Hammer didn't get anything new. Besides the off the wall plunges and the like that everything got. Gunlance too, nothing new from what I've seen.

Been using everything, mostly committing to Bowguns and Bows lately. I find that the Insect Glaive is hilariously overpowered when fighting certain monsters. The buffs, combined with the polevault just slaughters it's targets and completely ignores certain mechanics. Othertimes I find myself shelving it in favor of the trusty Piercing bullets.

Still in Rank 3 stuff? The ramp up of monsters is much smoother now, and thank goodness. Playing with friends who haven't seen it for the first time has been really great fun.

I'm glad old armors came back! I wish I could color them better, like the new sets but even if some of my old favorite creatures don't show up, I can still use some 'nostalgia' sets and they compare well enough to the new stuff.

Most certainly my favorite entry to the series since Freedom Unite, quite possibly the best overall. Mounting, climbing and general quality of life changes to the villages and the actual story elements now? It's a typical, but enjoyable one. Excellent stuff so far, excellent. Worth purchase by far.

neilp4453
Feb 25, 2015, 11:36 PM
These new 3DS have been sold out everywhere for the past week. But I should finally be able to get my hands on one during the next few days if all goes as planned.

Does everyone start out with each weapon type? So you can change weapon types on the go? I see there are multiple paths of each weapon type so I'm not sure how this works. If I don't use a weapon type as I progress and decide to try something new out...will it be a low tier weapon?

I was told to try out each weapon and see what I like...but judging from what I've read, I am leaning towards the long sword. I'm looking for something that has a good balance between power, combo ability, and speed.

strikerhunter
Feb 25, 2015, 11:59 PM
These new 3DS have been sold out everywhere for the past week. But I should finally be able to get my hands on one during the next few days if all goes as planned.
Yea it was like that for, thankfully brother was willing to drive out 18 miles (36 back-n-forth) to go get the new 3DS.

Does everyone start out with each weapon type? So you can change weapon types on the go? I see there are multiple paths of each weapon type so I'm not sure how this works. If I don't use a weapon type as I progress and decide to try something new out...will it be a low tier weapon?
Yes, you get all weapon type at the beginning but if you chose to switch later on then you'll have to start with whatever weapon you have in it's current form.

Each weapon has its own weapon tree, most starts with simple weapons but then they'll diverge into specific lines for said specific monster weapon line until final upgrade. Can always take shortcut and skip early forms but that means rarer and more materials whereas doing upgrades from early versions requires less materials but more work and understanding the paths.

I was told to try out each weapon and see what I like...but judging from what I've read, I am leaning towards the long sword. I'm looking for something that has a good balance between power, combo ability, and speed.

Longsword is very user friendly, but down side to longsword is that once you made a commitment to your attack, you're dead lock into it and can't cancel it. Predicting what the execute next is pretty vital but if you don't insert command for your next attack then you'll remain idle for bout 1 sec.

Best weapon for power, combo, and speed is Dual Sword.
Dual swords dish out the highest damage in the game in both burst and sustaining damage, however it might take some time before mastering sustaining damage. In arch-demon mode your roll becomes a dash with a very good invisibility frames when timed right. But the biggest downside to Dual sword is that because it swings so dam fast its sharpness falls down faster than all other weapon types and because the weapon is meant for close combat dual sword lacks in reach so monsters that stands tall or flies will put you at a disadvantage.

Akaimizu
Feb 26, 2015, 12:16 PM
The Dual Sword also has a better upgrade path position than it did with MHFU. It used to be a bit painfully slow to get elemental upgrades, and it seemed you really needed to get far past a monster to get DS with a notable elemental damage modifier. Remixing the monsters up helped that classification, greatly. I remember doing MHFU doing the only-DS challenge. It definitely had a slow and higher difficulty beginning.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 2, 2015, 03:26 AM
So after waiting 2,5 week after my new3ds MH4 edition should of been released which I pre-ordered I just got a mail that they won't be released at all over here at the shop I normally order from.

I will most likely skip Mh4U for a while due to this, don't really fancy play it on my current 3ds due to no 2nd analog stick. Might get a Vita instead.

neilp4453
Mar 3, 2015, 11:45 AM
Finally got my 3DS.

The regular bow seems to be a garbage weapon. The C-stick is nice, but it is still difficult to properly aim. I am liking the switch axe and long sword though. Not sure which route I want to take yet.

I've only done one level 2 quest, but they just threw me out into the world without any indication of where to go. Learning the area is essential but this just seems to be a waste of time.

And these little cats kept stealing stuff from me. I lost my map and couldn't get it back.

The Walrus
Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 PM
That's kind of the point though, figuring it out for yourself.

neilp4453
Mar 3, 2015, 12:14 PM
That's kind of the point though, figuring it out for yourself.

I guess, but this is the first time I've encountered a lack of direction in these types of games.

But I guess I can't complain too much. Getting 5 unique mushrooms was a simple enough task.

NoiseHERO
Mar 3, 2015, 01:28 PM
wat, they tell you everything you gotta do.

There's sometimes where explanations are kinda long and it's hard to tell wtf they're talking about till you're right about to do it. (ship drill tongue punch thingie took me a 2nd try) but only thing that's really dropped on you is exploring for yourself like any other game and scattered random trivial game mechanics you'll pick up eventually.

And yeah ranged weapons aren't the over powered new player friendly weapons they'll be in every other game.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 4, 2015, 03:13 AM
In MH series ranged weapons are actually more for the more experienced player, they are difficult to aim with and you only run with half the defense you have with melee sets. You can easily get one shotted by bosses if you don't look out and the learning curve seems way higher then most melee weapons have.

Doesn't mean they suck at all, just not recommended for new players.

strikerhunter
Mar 4, 2015, 09:29 AM
In MH series ranged weapons are actually more for the more experienced player, they are difficult to aim with and you only run with half the defense you have with melee sets. You can easily get one shotted by bosses if you don't look out and the learning curve seems way higher then most melee weapons have.

Doesn't mean they suck at all, just not recommended for new players.

This. Ranged weapons requires a lot skill from knowing how to make more ammo on the go, manage inventory, reload timing, aiming for best damage, knowing when to pop turret mode for heavy bowgun, knowing when to stand still of bow's overshot, positioning, etc.

If you ask me, all ranged weapons have a damage that's on par with hammers knocking on heads or an uber offensive Dual Sword. Only downside to ranged weapon is that your best damage are limited.

Finally got my 3DS.

The regular bow seems to be a garbage weapon. The C-stick is nice, but it is still difficult to properly aim. I am liking the switch axe and long sword though. Not sure which route I want to take yet.
As said above, range weapons are not friendly for new players. About aiming, there's a lock-on gimmick (although I barely use it). Switch Axe and Long Sword are decent weapons with some downsides (like all weapons) but just a fare warning with LS is that because the weapon is long.........might want to avoid hitting players. As for which route to take, I say have at least 3 weapons to practice under on. Some monsters are harder to kill with certain weapons while others are much easier with other weapons, example: Dual Swords are good for an monsters that are not dumbly tall or doesn't fly while Long Swords are good all monsters but medicore speed and set back if you don't commit the next move makes it not as good on monsters with shells instead of scales.

I've only done one level 2 quest, but they just threw me out into the world without any indication of where to go. Learning the area is essential but this just seems to be a waste of time.
This how the series is like, You are given an objective but it is up to you to discover the lay of the land. Once you know where are all the gathering points, you can use that knowledge in higher ranked quests to make potions on the go or even some supporting items.

So as a tip, spend some times exploring early in the game (especially in offline mode) and understanding where things in each map and learn how to take the environment as an advantage because if you don't then you be clueless like my last party who all died sitting on lava.

And these little cats kept stealing stuff from me. I lost my map and couldn't get it back.
Kill them, they'll give it back or go to their hideout it'll be there.

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2015, 10:32 AM
To a degree. Ranged armor does have the added benefit of being mostly focused on Elemental damage resistance. It's the direct damage they have issues with, but they're supposed to avoid more attacks due to being able to stand further away to attack. One might say, not as easy when doing solo, but then you should always bring a Palico or two with you. They act as your distraction to give you even more room to attack from a distance.

On the other hand, your elemental resistance is better, and thus you're able to take those elemental ranged strikes a bit better than you think; that is, if you wear the right armor for the beast.

Also, take note, playing offline will also eventually earn the classic map playgrounds. That is, the Paw Pass missions where all you do is run around the map (with its various creatures) with no main mission objective. There, you can gather materials and such, while having plenty of time to observe things. Take note, they have some of the creatures that produce materials based on what they recently snacked on (as seen first in Monster Hunter 3 and 3 Ultimate). Like the bugs whose abdomens fill with a certain color based on what they eat, and if you take them out at that time, they drop the appropriate material.

strikerhunter
Mar 4, 2015, 02:29 PM
^ Adding into distractions you also have access to traps and flash bombs, etc. to stun and stagger monsters (although everyone have access to them but gunners benefits most).

Freshellent
Mar 4, 2015, 06:01 PM
You can also discover monster weaknesses and other item's purposes by looking at the items they give you at the beginning of Low Rank quests. Flash Bombs, Sonic Bombs, Poison Knives, Traps- all of that stuff in the blue box should be noted as a clue as what to expect.

Everything (nearly) in the game is telegraphed when it comes to monster activity. Some stuff just has more, others have much less. If you see horns on a monster, assume they can be broken. If you see a long tail, sometimes it can be cut. Everything you witness for the most part has a purpose and a method to deal with it. That's why there's no enemy HP bars. You are expected to be engaged and observing the creatures, not crunching numbers on your UI.

Learning the blights that effect you as a player as well. Hot Drinks for cold zones, Cold Drinks for hot ones. Water, Freeze, Burning, Blast (formerly Slime?)

Stuns, large monster roars, pinning. There's a boatload to learn but it just takes some tuff luv to figure it out, or a healthy amount of questions being asked and someone patient enough to explain.