PDA

View Full Version : modem or broadband?

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 22, 2003, 05:04 AM
Which one should I take? Modem or broadband? And how many does the connection cost? I've already got a computer with a modem; can I connect my Cube's modem with that of my computer to reduce the costs? And can I get a Hunters Licence without a credit-card?

rena-ko
Apr 22, 2003, 07:07 AM
to reduce costs? hm... you'd have to run a special program to route a modem through a pc.
i still have the link to the page with the solution for that problem for dreamcast though ^-^

you can use the same provider set up with the cube dial up modem, if you meant that ^_^

i'd say... if you plan on getting cable or dsl, then do it. especially if you get a flatrate with that. get a router, avoid pci-dsl cards or usb-dsl modems (dunno on the last, but if you cannot switch a router in between you'll not be able to connect the cube's bba with it)...

usually broadband connections have higher fixed costs (lots of hardware to buy, and high monthly cost) than dial up connections, but with a flat rate (fixed monthly, not per minute) and when you are online often, higher starting costs will pay off soon.

anyway, good luck on your choice

ah, and gamevise... there are no real differences... bba users log on way quicker, download content (online quests and challenge stages etc) way quicker, and wont get much disconnects, but its the same with both solutions besides this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-04-22 05:10 ]</font>

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 22, 2003, 07:24 AM
eeeehhm.... 2 things:
1. I probably won't play online a lot, but it might change
2. I'm not into computers and hardware that much so I didn't understand a blind word you were saying (typing)

Alizar
Apr 22, 2003, 08:28 AM
BBA lets u play with out tiein up the phone line so u can use the internet on the pc 4 guides or talk 2 a friend...I also herd u r less likly 2 get corrupted if u hav a BBA.

rena-ko
Apr 22, 2003, 09:37 AM
trust me ^_^ if you were online once, you'll probably be online as often as you can be ^_^

then, you seem to have 56k modem for computer.
well... that would mean, you have a provider that you pay for being online.

now option 1 is, buying yourself the cube modem adapter. you'll simply have to put the cable, that goes to your computers modem into your cube's modem, input all provider data in the game's setup menu (dial up number, your account name and your password) and you can connect to the game's servers after purchasing your hunters licence. (dont worry, the game will guide you through it, its easy).

us-version of pso needs a valid creditcardnumber though (visa or mastercard or maybe some other few who work).

edit: oh, netherlands... then... pal-version has 30 days free HL - the only thing to do is to set an user name. you wont even need a credidcardnumber for that. but you'll need one, when you want to renew your hunters licence after these 30 days.

you'll pay per minute, the same way you pay when you are online with your computer. you cannot access internet via computer when you're online via pso, and otherwise. furthermore, you cannot not make or receive a phonecall when you are online via dial up modem (but thats surely nothing new to you).

monthly costs depend on how long you were online.

option 2 is a bit expensive.
get yourself a dsl/broadband-contract. get a dsl-modem, a splitter, a network card for your pc and a bb-adapter for cube.
(ask your provider company, they should have some packages with all you need - except the gamecube-bba - to offer..)
pso-connection setup is the same as with a dial up modem. and if you have a configured router, its even more easy.

monthly costs are a set flatrate fee or depend on how much traffic you've made (compared to most dsl-games, pso does not make much traffic)..

good point is, with a router, you could be online with your pc and the same time with your cube. and on top of that you can have a phonecall with someone the same time (which of course cost extra and are not included in your dsl/broadband-fee).

not so good point is, that broadband is usually expensive in terms of hardware. but with heavy users (= lots of time online or with lots of traffic/up-&downloads) a flatrate price is a better deal than paying for time or volume.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-04-22 07:40 ]</font>

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 22, 2003, 11:55 AM
Do you know a site where I can check the prices?

DeLiRiUmTrIgGeR
Apr 22, 2003, 07:57 PM
Definitely broadband, for the sake of less lag when in a game with 56kers, I don't wanna be mean here, but PSOX definitely has the much better servers- connection wise.

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 23, 2003, 11:36 AM
bump...

The_Pew
Apr 23, 2003, 11:42 AM
BB who the hell would want an ol' dail up modem.

-LordNikon-
Apr 23, 2003, 12:47 PM
On 2003-04-23 09:42, The_Pew wrote:
BB who the hell would want an ol' dail up modem.

Yea who would ever want a dialup modem.....um possibly....someone WITHOUT? DSL??!??! People select there modems out of circumstance.

Secondly, my DSL provider gives me unlimited dialup hours as well. SO owning both adaptors allows be to use my GameCube virtually anywhere I want, and because of the GC's size....5.6" LCD screen anyone? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif This makes GC+PSO the ultimate portable gaming system.

The dopest NGC setup: http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
GameCube+2ModemAdaptors+PSO+ASCII Keyboard+5.6" LCD

Peace, LordNIkon

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 23, 2003, 12:52 PM
howmuch does BB cost per month?

kat
Apr 23, 2003, 01:04 PM
broadband internet access will vary depending on your location and your provider. Cable and DSL are the two main types of broadband, and the providers can be stuff like roadrunner, aol, sbcYahoo! DSL, etc.

Cable internet access assumes that you have a cable line for TV cable that you could use with a cable modem to get internet access.

DSL uses phone lines for faster connection with a DSL modem.

Either way, you'll probably want a router so that you could take your computer or your cube online without having to do a lot of unplugging and re-plugging.

We can't give you specifics because they will vary by your location and what's available to you in you community. If you have a local Best Buy store you might go there and check things out, or some place similar. Or hit http://www.cnet.com and look in their internet services catergory link. It can answer more questions and give you more information.

Since from what I've gathered from the previous postings indicates that you have a dial-up internet connection, unless you get cable or dsl the Broadband adaptor is useless to you, you'll need the modem adaptor. If your dial up account is unlimited hours then you're probably good to go for now, especially if you have a second phone line for onlineness. However, if you have one phone line and limited hours, and want a faster connection, then considering the broadband internet connection might be a plus.

I personally use DSL and we pay $40 a month for it right now.

*edit* Link to CNet.com added

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kat on 2003-04-23 11:09 ]</font>