PDA

View Full Version : XBox: "You must change your name" error?

Nynaeve
Apr 22, 2003, 07:51 AM
So I just got off the phone with a VERY hostile friend. One of the many things that has his blood boiling this morning was the SECOND occurance of an error message he got upon logging into Xbox PSO last night, where the server told him he cannot log in with his character's name, and it must be changed. THis happened before, where he had to change his FOmarl's name from Arch Angel to VoodooMoose, and now they want him to change VoodooMoose to something else. He played with the "Arch Angel" name for a few days before the error came up, and he played online with the "VoodooMoose" name for at LEAST 3 days before the error reappeared.

Rather than attempt to figure out his section ID again, he called XBox Live customer support, and was on the phone for over an hour, and nothing came of it. They gave him such the run around that he ended up speaking to a supervisor, who said things like "I just got back from vacation, I've played this game for all of 10 minutes, I don't know what to tell you" and "We're working on a support phone line with Sega where we can transfer you to them, because they don't want us just giving out the #s" and "You have to call Sega". The woman he spoke to before this kept saying that she has not played this game, and coming up with excuses like "There must be someone else with this name already online" (when he had played with 2 players named Sephiroth before, and when the XBox searches on the Gamer Tag and not the screen name!) and so on.

Soooo...anyone hear of anyone else having this issue? ANd did they get a better line of service than he did?

spyder101
Apr 22, 2003, 08:54 AM
Gee, that must have really sucked for your friend. I have never called tech support in my life, just because i know i would be talking to a bumch of idiots for a hour. If the problem is that someone else has that name and prevents him from logging on, then just tell him to change his name to something VERY original, and then add some numbers to the end of it. Hope he can solve it if that doesnt. Good luck to him!

#1 reason i love XBOX:
I.....wait...
I hate XBOX!

Deus-Irae
Apr 22, 2003, 09:01 AM
dang http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

i doubt it his name though. Voodoomoose is pretty original. not to mention the fact that he was able to use the names for a while and he got an error days later.

sounds like his only option is to change the name and try again.

if it dosent work, write down all specifics, call customer support and bug them untill they fix it, or refund him!

good luck to him. sounds annoying!

Nidarrock
Apr 22, 2003, 09:42 AM
I've heard a few other players experienceing this problem. They called customer support and was given a run around as well, saying it was his Xbox that was screwing up. As for fixing it...time to harass Sega and MS if possible. Myabe it was an unforeseen problem that showed up now. Who knows why it's happening but it is time to get it fixed. Does he have to recreate the character or just rename it?

s3rial_one
Apr 22, 2003, 10:14 AM
I've never heard of the name problem, but I can attest to the crapitude of Xbox's support. I've called there several times, since I've had XBL, and every time, get stuck with some scripted level 1 tech with an accent so bad as to be unintelligable (I'm willing to bet MS outsources their support to India).

Specifically, I've called for PSO twice... for the same problem.

My very first character had some sort of issue where her bank would be wiped out every time she went from offline -> online or online -> offline.

The first tech spent a good 15 minutes trying to collect personal information before he referred me to Sega. But, he didn't even give me the right number for Sega, so I had to track it down myself, and call them up.

The Sega rep was really cool, but essentially said that someone at Microsoft was screwing up; Sega has nothing to do with PSOX.

So, I called Microsoft back, and this time I spoke to a higher-level tech, who still had no idea what what was going on. But at least he spoke coherent English.

The gist of it is that when the game was released, the techs were given a set of scripted answers, but the higher-level techs have no information regarding the game. So, if you have a problem, unless Microsoft's actually gotten on the ball, consider yourself hosed.

In my case, I had to delete ALL the save information for PSO off of my Xbox, then recreate everything.

Xbox tech support blows.

Nynaeve
Apr 22, 2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies - no, he just has to rename the character, but it doesn't recreate it at all.

Apparently he's following up with them later tonight, maybe he'll find out more.

gallaugher
Apr 22, 2003, 11:59 AM
Does this mean you can change your character name (hence, section ID too) on the fly?

The_Pew
Apr 22, 2003, 12:05 PM
Dang that sucks i havent had that problem and i hope i never have it

Reenee
Apr 22, 2003, 12:09 PM
On 2003-04-22 09:59, gallaugher wrote:
Does this mean you can change your character name (hence, section ID too) on the fly?

Of course not. What gave you that silly idea? :whack:

gallaugher
Apr 22, 2003, 12:32 PM
On 2003-04-22 10:09, Shapiro wrote:

On 2003-04-22 09:59, gallaugher wrote:

Of course not. What gave you that silly idea? :whack:

Then how in the hell can you change your characters name? The original post stated that they were trying to get the same section ID as the previous name. Please explain. : dodges & counter-whacks:

edit: bad smiley

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gallaugher on 2003-04-22 10:33 ]</font>

Nynaeve
Apr 22, 2003, 12:42 PM
Check out this thread for screenshots of a test another friend did - when your name is rejected they send you to a "edit name" screen.

http://www.voodoomoose.com/ikon/ikonboard.cgi?s=c9347372da502eedc0358b5b75492124;a ct=NW;f=11;t=261

Rich_T
Apr 22, 2003, 01:08 PM
maybe the names been reserved by someone at sega/microsoft?

Nynaeve
Apr 23, 2003, 07:25 AM
Update - apparently XBox support called him last night and was on the phone with him for over 2 hours trying to replicate the issue. They both created characters named Arch Angel and were able to get online fine, and later he went back on with VoodooMoose fine as well - the suspicion is turning towards the wireless network adapter, maybe it's losing packets or something. The guy he spoke to was incredibly helpful and even went to our board to check out the screen shots that were posted there.

He'll be following up on this.

jeramia
Apr 28, 2003, 06:49 PM
lol this is why i dont play the box