PDA

View Full Version : is SONICTEAM Ever.....

Fr3aK
Apr 22, 2003, 09:28 PM
going to fix the FSOD???

-Fr3aK-

Guntz348
Apr 22, 2003, 09:30 PM
Since its impossible to truely fix FSOD in any electronic device; nope.

saffaya
Apr 23, 2003, 03:54 AM
On 2003-04-22 19:30, Guntz348 wrote:

What kind of nonsense are you talking about ?
only game to ever freeze my DC : PSO
only game to ever freeze my Xbox : PSO
Get a clue.

Guntz348
Apr 23, 2003, 04:05 AM
On 2003-04-23 01:54, saffaya wrote:

Get a clue.

Ask any programmer, any devise running any program can theoretically crash at any given time. When the propper safe gaurds and the like are built in the chance of it happening are lowered greatly. Lets take windows for example. Win95 crashed quite a bit for me. As microsoft learned the problems and made 98 windows ran a bit better, then released more updated versions of, eventually taking all the problems they found over the years, fixing them and putting in safe gaurds and coming out with winXP. Now I'm not saying windows is perfect or what ever, but XP is a hell of a lot more stable then 95 was. The point of there story is, any electronic device can crash at anytime. If the programmers keep refining it and take out the problems it will happen less often and therefore be more stable.

Hell I had a graphing calculator crash on me before so I know that anything can mess up and freeze. It's just a problem you deal with when using electronics. If you refine the code and build it like it should be the events of freezes will be very low, but will always be possible.

Fr3aK
Apr 24, 2003, 12:40 PM
Get a clue.

You got a FSOD on DC? I never got one on DC i never even knew one existed on DC!

-Fr3aK-

saffaya
Apr 24, 2003, 02:25 PM
Ask any programmer,

No need to my good man. I have a MD in CS and am a software engineer.

any devise running any program can theoretically crash at any given time.

In short, no.

Hell I had a graphing calculator crash on me before so I know that anything can mess up and freeze. It's just a problem you deal with when using electronics. If you refine the code and build it like it should be the events of freezes will be very low, but will always be possible.

You are totally mixing things up.
Electronics problems are not computing problems.
When an electronic device freezes, it is because of , hey, an electronic problem. That is, faulty PHYSICAL electronic device/component.
(exemple : aging/faulty circuits no longer functionning at room or hotter temperature)
When a HEALTHY electronic device seems to freeze, it is a programming fault, hence a LOGICAL problem.
The circuits are still functionning, but the program is caught in a loop and will stay in that state till reset or power off.

zimmk2vgc
Apr 24, 2003, 02:48 PM
but XP is a hell of a lot more stable then 95 was.
WHAT?!?!?!? XP IS THE MOST UNSTABLE OF ALL THE WINDOWS PACKAGES PUT TOGETHER! MICROSOFT IS THE WORST COMPUTER COMPANY OF ALL TIME! TAKE THE XBOX FOR EXAMPLE. £300 ONE YEAR AGO. NOW ONLY A MEER £130. ITS WAS A FAILURE. XBOX IS THE WORST CONSOLE EVER!

gallaugher
Apr 24, 2003, 02:52 PM
On 2003-04-24 12:48, zimmk2vgc wrote:

WHAT?!?!?!? XP IS THE MOST UNSTABLE OF ALL THE WINDOWS PACKAGES PUT TOGETHER! MICROSOFT IS THE WORST COMPUTER COMPANY OF ALL TIME! TAKE THE XBOX FOR EXAMPLE. ?300 ONE YEAR AGO. NOW ONLY A MEER ?130. ITS WAS A FAILURE. XBOX IS THE WORST CONSOLE EVER!

Someone needs to simmer down!

P.S. I had one fsod in all the DC pso ver 1 & 2 days (I played a lot too)

zimmk2vgc
Apr 24, 2003, 03:08 PM
I have no regrets about what I said. I stand by my word. And no I do not have any plan to overtake microsoft no matter what rumours you hear. I get easily aggitated over them. Lemme put it this way...me and Bill aint exactly the best of friends...enemies more like it!

bazerker
Apr 25, 2003, 05:54 AM
I think FSOD was a patch put in to stop duping so if you turn your machine off without saving you get FSOD so if they got rid of the patch the machine could freeze and you could turn it off without getting FSOD .

Yoda86
Apr 25, 2003, 06:16 AM
On 2003-04-24 13:08, zimmk2vgc wrote:
I have no regrets about what I said. I stand by my word. And no I do not have any plan to overtake microsoft no matter what rumours you hear. I get easily aggitated over them. Lemme put it this way...me and Bill aint exactly the best of friends...enemies more like it!

I'm assuming you're using a Macintosh computer then? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Danderdag
Apr 25, 2003, 06:39 AM
XP is a great OS.
And DC had far worse than the FSOD, it had the BSOD =p
It didn't happen often, but it still doesn't. Often enough that it's an issue? yeah.
But on the dreamcast version you would lose far more, often corrupting the file itself and lose your character, or you would have to reset the serial for your DC or all kinds of things.
The reason I stopped playing PSO v2 was because I got a BSOD and lost my level 120 HUcast. 120 took ALOT of work back then =/

RagMasterRappy
Apr 25, 2003, 07:41 AM
On 2003-04-23 01:54, saffaya wrote:

Get a clue.

No one should be comparing video game systems to computers or other devices. These things generate a lot of heat and they're cooled by either minimalistic or non existant means.

saffaya
Apr 25, 2003, 10:25 AM
On 2003-04-25 05:41, RagMasterRappy wrote:
No one should be comparing video game systems to computers or other devices. These things generate a lot of heat and they're cooled by either minimalistic or non existant means.

oooh .. I just like it when I get such ignorant replies to my posts.
The #1 caracteristic of a thermal electronic fault is that it is REPRODUCTIBLE. You just get the temperature up and the devices freezes.
Do you have any idea of the temperature of my room when it happened ?
Besides, do you own either a DC or an Xbox ?
Both have fans for air cooling the system.

The_Pew
Apr 25, 2003, 10:27 AM
The only time Ive been BSOD/FSODed is on the DC.

RagMasterRappy
Apr 25, 2003, 10:44 AM
On 2003-04-25 08:25, saffaya wrote:

On 2003-04-25 05:41, RagMasterRappy wrote:

oooh .. I just like it when I get such ignorant replies to my posts.
The #1 caracteristic of a thermal electronic fault is that it is REPRODUCTIBLE. You just get the temperature up and the devices freezes.
Do you have any idea of the temperature of my room when it happened ?
Besides, do you own either a DC or an Xbox ?
Both have fans for air cooling the system.

Yeah one fan. At least the Dreamcast's fan is powerful. If I remember correctly the newer XBOXes don't have a heat sink on the GPU and rely on air flow. And yes, you are better than all of us.

Goza
Apr 25, 2003, 10:51 AM
Anyone who has studied software engineering can tell you that the number of possible states (accountable for, and unaccountable for) that a complex operating system can be in at any given time is *functionally* infinite.

However, the Gamecube is a very task-specific device which much less code. Additionally, PSO does not run concurrently with other games, greatly reducing the unpredictability. I would wager that the FSOD is either:

1) The unfortunate side-effect of a feature that they value more than the problems it creates.

or

2) The result of bad design, and a nasty bug that they cannot or will not bother to locate. If this is the case, they may be currently working on it. Software development is a surprisingly complex undertaking. Maintenance coding is hell.

As for Windows XP stability--compared to ME, it looks as constant as the two-way speed of light in a vacuum.

BrokenHope
Apr 25, 2003, 11:09 AM
Why are people even comparing pc's to games consoles? consoles are fixed spec pc's aren't, there's a hell of a lot more room for mistake when programming a pc considering the face that almost no 2 pc's are the same, where's all consoles are, fsod happening on a console is unforgivable and makes me wonder if the have games testers at all.

malinko
Apr 25, 2003, 02:22 PM
Does it have something to do with the game being online?

Mystil
Apr 25, 2003, 02:53 PM
On 2003-04-24 12:48, zimmk2vgc wrote:

WHAT?!?!?!? XP IS THE MOST UNSTABLE OF ALL THE WINDOWS PACKAGES PUT TOGETHER! MICROSOFT IS THE WORST COMPUTER COMPANY OF ALL TIME! TAKE THE XBOX FOR EXAMPLE. ?300 ONE YEAR AGO. NOW ONLY A MEER ?130. ITS WAS A FAILURE. XBOX IS THE WORST CONSOLE EVER!

Actually, XP is the most stable version availiable next to Windows 2000. I'm on Win95 btw, and I have not experience any problems with my OS in 4 years. Uhm, the PS2 was 300$ a year ago, and now it's 199, is it a failure too? The GC was 199 a year ago, and not it's 149$ is that a failure too?

Don't let your anger make your posts for you.
(no offense intented)

On with the topic..

I have a theory that FSOD is tied with amount of bandwith going from your GC modem, to your main modem vs. the amount of traffic on the server. But that can't be right..

gallaugher
Apr 25, 2003, 03:14 PM
On 2003-04-25 09:09, Broken Hope wrote:
fsod happening on a console is unforgivable and makes me wonder if the have games testers at all.

I'm sure they do have game testers. The problem when testing any software is being able to put it in a 'real' environment during testing. That's why there's beta software/games so that obscure bugs can be discovered & fixed