PDA

View Full Version : "Error 018: (...) Please check if your broadband adaptor is

Daikarin
Apr 23, 2003, 10:27 AM
This message error happens each time I try to link up my Broadband adaptor with my modem.

As far as I can tell (I'm really more into software), I can't establish a link with my GCN Broadband Adaptor and my modem.

In theory, I would only need a UTP cable to link my Cable modem and my Broadband Adaptor (BBA) on the GameCube, similar to that which I use to link my PC (linking the Ethernet board) with my modem, as the following diagram:

MODEM <---UTP cable---> GC

When I connect the modem and the PC, the light on the modem port goes ON, indicating that a link is established.

MODEM <---UTP cable #1---> PC (ON)

But when I connect the modem to the GC, the light on the modem port keeps OFF, probably indicating that a link can't be established.

MODEM <---UTP cable #2---> GC (OFF)

I originally thought I was using a wrong cable.
But after a few tests, I could connect my PC to the modem using the same UTP cable I use on the GC, so the cable should have no problems.

MODEM <---UTP cable #2---> PC (ON)

Today, I thought of making the following:
Since I can link up my PC and modem, how about I take advantage of that, so that I can use up my PC/Modem connection to link up my GC to it as well.

The idea was to connect the PC and the GC to the modem at the same time, using a proper cable with two entries for that purpose. This way, I should establish a connection to the net...:

<---UTP cable #1 ---> PC
/
MODEM

<---UTP cable #2 ---> GC

But no. When I link up only my PC to the modem using the two-way cable, it works, the light on the modem port goes ON (link is done).

<---UTP cable #1 ---> PC (ON)
/
MODEM

<---UTP cable #2 ---> No input

But since I connect both the PC and GC to the modem by using the two-way cable, the light on the modem port blinks, and I can't access the net on the PC and neither can I on the GC.

I'm very confused, and don't know what's wrong. I kept changing my network settings for several attempts but I can't seem to connect.

I keep seeing an "error 018" which tells me that I should check if my BBA is connected to the modem (something which I checked up several times) and that I should reconfigure my network options (something which I do for every attempt to log on).

And I did change the cables, turned the modem off several times, tried different network settings (alternating between the ISP)...

Any idea why I can't link my BBA to my cable modem?

- Is the BBA defective/damaged?
- Am I missing something on my connections?
- Is it the modem? (I doubt so)
- Is it the wrong cable? (I also doubt this)
- Is it something else...?

Any help would be welcome, as I really need it right now.

Thanks in advance

Edit: A few extra info:

* My modem is a Motorola USB Surfboard (Cable)
* There is no Routers, bridges or HUBs that interfere with the modem / GC connection.
* Network settings such as DNS, Proxy ports/adresses, DCHP are blank, something which should be automatically fulfilled by the ISP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2003-04-23 12:52 ]</font>