PDA

View Full Version : XBox: FOnewearl vs VoltOP

UnitG3D
Apr 23, 2003, 02:06 PM
I'm playing as a Fonewearl in the XBox version of PSO. While her magic power is about as high as it gets her HP and physical attacks, as you know, suck royally. I'm currently up to VoltOP at level 23.

My usual strategy of blasting the frag out of the boss with Rafoie isn't working as he takes no damage at all from my spells. My mechguns and poles are useless since Lania has almost no ATA or ATP to speak of. As I can't do enough damage to knock him out of the monitors or to damage the towers, I usually last about 15 seconds.

The only option I see is to blow my 72,000 meseta on drowning a blank mag that I found in Trimates to get the POW stat boosts. Any other suggestions?

Popcorn
Apr 23, 2003, 02:22 PM
Go around the other stages, levelling up, until you get some decent electrical spells. Then use those.

Eum
Apr 23, 2003, 02:26 PM
Vol Opt is simple if you know how to beat him.

Number 1: Don't attack the screens.

Number 2: Only attack the red pillar. Foie is your best friend. (With my FOnewearl, early on, I tried to end up as close as possible to the pillar as I could, so I could hit it without it having a chance to shock.) You NEED to end up in front of the red pillar as soon as possible.

Number 3: Bring Sol Atomizers and Monomates/Dimates/Trimates for when the shock does hit.

Number 4: Equip a Wand-type to get the few points added to your Foie.

The second form is so incredibly simple it doesn't deserve an explanation.

You need to keep moving, and hope you end up near the red pillar.

UnitG3D
Apr 23, 2003, 02:36 PM
Eum, you are a life saver. Not attacking the screens is probably going to save my life on that one. And it makes sense, Sol Atomizers would remove the shock... Foie lv5 in my front queue instead of gizonde, less TP needed too.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see how it goes after I get off of work this afternoon.

s3rial_one
Apr 23, 2003, 02:39 PM
I had problems beating Vol Opt with my FOmar back on the GC... here's what I did:

1. Switch your hotkeys so that foie, zonde, and gizonde (or razonde) are available.

2. As soon as possible, blast that middle pillar (the one that's hanging from the ceiling) with foie to drop it to the ground (and continue to do so if it goes back up to the celing).

3. Blast the monitors with as much firepower as you can throw at them, when Vol Opt's in them. I found gizonde to be the most effective; as a FOnewearl, though, you'd probably be better off with razonde.

4. When the turret things pop up, find the red one and hit it with zonde first, to stop it from firing immediately (the extra second it would take another spell to hit it makes a huge difference). Then hammer it with foie.

5. After he changes forms, he should be pretty easy. I just laid into him with zonde and he dropped fairly quickly.

Eum
Apr 23, 2003, 04:30 PM
No.

Do not attack the screens. It's a waste of valuable TP, which, being a FOnewearl, you can't sacrifice.

You do not need to hit any screens to beat Vol Opt.

s3rial_one
Apr 23, 2003, 04:33 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I have much better luck blasting the hell out of the screens than trying to nail that red pillar before it shocks me.

To each his own, I guess.

Eum
Apr 23, 2003, 04:35 PM
First of all, hitting the screen doesn't have much to do with getting shocked, to begin with. It's when you don't hit the red pillar that you get shocked.

It's really a waste of TP, period.

Furthermore, do hit down the pillar hanging from the ceiling, to get a second or two to hit, and use your map to position yourself close to the pillars before they actually appear.

s3rial_one
Apr 23, 2003, 04:36 PM
I didn't say it had anything to do with getting shocked.

You can get Vol Opt to change forms by inflicting damage to the screens, too. What I've found, personally, is that I can get him to change much faster (at least in normal mode) by hitting the screens with gizonde than I can by trying to find that red pillar and hit it before it hits me, and then repeating it numerous times.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: s3rial_one on 2003-04-23 14:40 ]</font>

UnitG3D
Apr 23, 2003, 04:40 PM
I can understand the FOmar hitting the screens, they do have a higher ATP and ATA than FOnewearls.

As far as hitting the screens go, I've never had any luck getting gizonde to damage them, it hits all screens for 0.

Thats the main reason I've been in trouble is that I've never gotten a spell to damage VoltOP and just never had a chance to target the pillars (too busy looking at the screens) to know if that helped.

entropyboy
Apr 23, 2003, 05:36 PM
i have a FOnewearl and this is what i do:

spells needed: Foie, Zonde
also have monomates ready to use if shocked.

YES use foie on main screen. cast it ONCE so that the room shakes and then cast agian, and so on. DO NOT combo or cast spells to fast because this just damaged screens and not VOL OPT. you can tell because you can see the damage on him and the screen at the same time. these are the only hits that count. at harder difficulties RAfoie is good to, but only cast it slowly, not in quick succession.

ALWAYS kill the amplifier on the ceiling in the middle of the room (with foie also).

when a red pillar pops out, hit it with foie. as with the screens, DO NOT hit it quickly. just fast enough to make the room shake with each hit. all other hits do not damage VOL OPT directly.

if you do not have enough HP to survive his zonde attack then get HP units (which you can easily find in your shop)

on the second form, just use zonde and run around the avoid attacks. nuff said.

if you only hit him to make the room shake and never quickly or in a combo, nothing will be destoryed exept VOL OPT making the battle very easy. this is usually a little harder during team play, but this strategy works for HUNTERs and RANGERs also.

remember NO COMBOS

Captain_Dude
Apr 23, 2003, 11:48 PM
My FOnewearl beat VolleyBall(my affectionate for Vol Opt, cute huh?) at around lvl 16-17(and she's only 18 now...) here's what I did.

I had: 10 Difluids, 10 Monofluids, and 10 monomates.

I had the buttons assigned:
X:Rafoie
A:Monofluid
B:Difluid
R+X:Zonde
R+A:Resta
R+B:Monomate

On the first form I just RAfoied everything that moved. I was careful when he used his Gizonde, cause it packed quite a whallop, I advise using resta to heal from them(due to the fact that it sometimes adds a a tiny bit of invincibility, and because you'll need to save monomates for fast healing on the second form)! With the damage the Rafoie did, the first form took... I'd say just under 3 Minutes.
The second form was easy, just run away from his attacks, and Zonde him while he heals. You may want to use something like Razonde, or Gizonde, but they only do about 7-13 more... If you have to heal, use Monomates, cause you'll want to be moving real fast and resta takes too long.

After the fight I collected the drops. Counting what I reaped from battle I had 3 monomates(I get hit alot, stupid me, and stupid slippery Xbox thumbsticks), 6 monofluids, and 5 difluids. Or something like that...

Hope this is of help, I know mines is a real bitch, because of the random dark rooms(they weren't that bad in caves), endless enemies, and really irritating traps. But if you beat it, and have all 3 pillars activated, you'll never have to put up with those bastard gilchics ever again!
And hey, wasn't there a movie with a robot named "Gillchic" or "Gilchic"? I swear I've heard it in a movie somewhere!

UnitG3D
Apr 24, 2003, 04:13 AM
Thanks to everyone that posted here with suggestions. As you might can guess, VoltOP is now taking up his rightful place in the surplus parts drawer in my office. The final combined strategy I used.

X=Foie lv5
Y=Zonde lv5
B=Resta lv5
R+X=Monomate
R+Y=Difluid
R+Z=Sol Atomizer

As soon as possible, knock out the Amp and keep it that way. Use Zonde to have your force imediately target the red pillar when it pops up (hitting L after you cast to turn the camera facing it), then Foie that sucker for all its worth. IGNORE THE SCREENS. They only served to get me hit by a shock, if you need to heal while shocked Mono, if not shocked Resta.

Second form. Quick Coustomize switch
X=Gizonde(don't have much time to line up a shot and this hits all of the robot's segments for around 80@lv2)

RUN LIKE HELL. In a circle, around him. After each attack stops, turn and Gizonde the bot twice and repeat. He may heal some, but its just pathetically negligable.

Well there it is. Thanks everyone, I am now moving on in the game.

rena-ko
Apr 24, 2003, 06:38 AM
use your characterclass boosts wisely. FOnewm was boost on gifoie, right? well, do the screens. at least on any difficulty except ult it actually does damage (watch vol opts head - if he gets damage as well when you hit the three lower screens, continue, if not, leave the screens alone and use the screen form as refreshing pause)

then... i found, blasting off the middletotem, that hangs from the ceiling, almost always provoked a razonde and i got shocked. (sol atomizers on button like mentioned already).
as a FOnewearl, rely only on the ground techs (foie, barta, zonda) - a foie merge or club of laconium (or both) would help alot but chances that your FOnewearl would have found them by now are kinda low...

i'd say:
stand in the middle of the room, foie the red totem when it appears and have plenty of sols.
if you think this helps, kill the ceiling-hanging thingy while vol opt circles through the screens.

going for the screens as well as the totems would kill the first form quicker, but dont aim the main screen first - that would be a waste of chances to hurt vol opt (and would reduce the little pause you have between the totem-forms to nothing).

second form: avoid getting trapped, avoid getting stomped to death and simply zonde vol opt to death.
that is easy even without a zonde merge or club of ... (well the zonde boosting club).

good luck