PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 SOLVED: Game Crashes When Selecting Character

Anduril
May 28, 2015, 12:57 AM
This is the solution that worked for me when my game was crashing on character select:
Delete the PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder located in Documents, then run a file check (I used the original launcher, and it did it automatically).
Before doing this, back-up any files you may want to keep, like character creator files and screenshots.
My guess is that this may be caused by one of the system files saved in this folder being corrupted.

Original Post
[spoiler-box]Update:
Okay, so I had tried a reinstall, but that didn't help; looking around at other similar issues related to kernel32.dll, it seemed my only solution was to do a fresh installation of Windows, but then I came across another post that mentioned that this can sometimes happen when the crashing program is attempting to access other files, like a thumbs.db.
That's when it occurred to me: the only thing that didn't get deleted with the uninstall that the game might be trying to access is the PHANATASYSTARONLINE2 folder in Documents, and I remembered that someone mentioned not too long ago that deleting the entirety of that folder fixed a similar issue.
So I deleted the folder (creating a back-up, just in case), started the official launcher, it ran a file check, and then I launched. And lo-and-behold, it worked.

Original Post:
So having an odd issue; on both of the computers that I play PSO2 on, I'm getting the game crashing as soon as I select a character.
Interesting thing is that on one of the PCs, my main desktop, I had been playing PSO2 earlier in the day without having turned off or restarted it before the first game crash. Reading the crash report, it seems that it was related to kernel32.dll. Since the normal solution for crashes related to this, at the most basic, is to reinstall the program giving the error, I decided to check my laptop to see if I could start the game up there; ended up getting the same error.
Then I went ahead and did a filecheck and a Gameguard fix; still crashing.
So basically, I'm asking if this is happening/has happened to anyone else, and if anyone knows a solution.

Error Log:
[spoiler-box]Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: pso2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 55544364
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18839
Fault Module Timestamp: 553e88aa
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0001137d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789[/spoiler-box][/spoiler-box]