PDA

View Full Version : Random dude finds original Play Station/SNES-CD prototype

Maenara
Jul 3, 2015, 06:44 PM
http://3ebd2a0c0ea48a333aea-1f531def8e8befb67be56667ce3edd11.r77.cf1.rackcdn.c om/f166a5e68407a91ac13135be88827cbd928aded2.jpg__940x 420_q85_crop-smart_upscale.jpg
Pay attention, 10 second history lesson: way back in 1988, Sony and Nintendo worked together on a CD-ROM peripheral for the SNES. In 1991 it was revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show by Sony but the day after Nintendo announced that, actually, it was partnering with Phillips for its CD tech. Sony, furious, more or less spite-developed its half of the tech into the PlayStation 1 we know today, to get back at Nintendo.

Because it was never actually released the Sony/Nintendo PlayStation is quite rare. So this one is quite a big deal. It apparently turned up in some junk belonging to imgur user DanDiebold's dad. Here's the real kicker though, this is the story he posts behind the images:

"My dad worked for a company, apparently one of the guys he used to work with, I think his name was Olaf, used to work at Nintendo and when my dad's company went bankrupt, my dad found it in a box of 'junk' he was supposed to throw out".

Now this bit seems almost too good to be true because 'Olaf' could possibly reference Ólafur Jóhann Ólafsson, the original co-founder, president and chief executive officer of Sony Interactive Entertainment. Not only could this be one of the first ever PlayStations, it could be one that belonged to its creator.

I'm being cautious here because the original Reddit thread source is currently private. The console exists, that much appears to be true, but the forum poster answering questions on it is currently unverified. He's posted a link to the images but that's not a cast iron guarantee of anything.

http://www.gamesradar.com/original-sonynintendo-playstation-prototype/

It's pretty interesting to think about how close Sony consoles and Nintendo consoles were to being the same thing.

yoshiblue
Jul 3, 2015, 08:35 PM
Makes me wish I could see how that union would have panned out and how it affected the fate of Sega.

ShinMaruku
Jul 3, 2015, 09:29 PM
Sony actually went to Sega with a similar thing and Sega said no.
So Sony set out to kill both of these fuckers. They did.

Sayara
Jul 3, 2015, 10:48 PM
Ellen Page saved sony

Its strange, but interesting.

Zeota
Jul 8, 2015, 10:21 AM
I seem to recall Nintendo Power having a blurb about this back in the early 90s. Would've been cool to see this come to fruition, but alas.