PDA

View Full Version : Will Phantasy Star Online Survive?

Cypher_9
Jul 12, 2015, 05:30 AM
Funny this came out to be a random thing I said to my team - so I said "time to make a post on that pso-world" and here it is.

Anyway this is about the longevity of the online series of Phantasy Star. For those who have came from DC, GC and even XBOX backgrounds have seen or known for sure how long this game had lasted.

For me I came from PSO GC 2001 - and this game only lasted least the time I got on it 3 years (correct me if i am wrong)

I missed the official PSO:BB since I didnt have an awesome PC at the time - since I did download it and it choked on that Dell.

Then I got on Phantasy Star Universe + Ambitions which it only lasted for 5 years (oh the torment of having no content for that long.... XD) and then the PC/PS2 servers perished. I have bought a 200 dollar console for this game only to sell it back for 5 bucks to get bus change.... true story...

I missed out on the Portable Series... again, no money, no console - so I just browsed the net till I ran into the glory of FHANTASY STAH ONLINE TSU...

So with this in mind, granted with everything that has happened on the current nostalgic PSO2. And with Sega's recent realization that they f***ed up and want to earn player respect / trust again - how long would you think this game has till it nails itself in a coffin.

As much I didn't want to say that about my favorite title.... it seems like it has been doing that from the past times...

P.S. if it is any addition - what can these dev's do to bring the hope that we believe to be PHANTDASY STAAH ONLINE TSU

Selphea
Jul 12, 2015, 05:34 AM
If you watched the latest livestream, PSO2 is actually growing. They're doing an anime in 2016. That means they might actually beat WoW to a screen adaptation.

Cypher_9
Jul 12, 2015, 05:38 AM
If you watched the latest livestream, PSO2 is actually growing. They're doing an anime in 2016. That means they might actually beat WoW to a screen adaptation.

Yeah I seen the post and was kinda surprised they managed such since it was something I am sure many wanted to see in the long run. As another said, hopefully this wouldn't be interpreted in a different way than what we have experienced in the game already. Only thing they cannot do is make the 'player' the hero in this one so of course its beginning would be different though surely it can start off with Afin getting a new partner which may be somebody named Mika... heh

So far expectations have been a mixed bag - I don't know for sure if there had been botched game interpretations to anime but, least this can give some hope.

Chdata
Jul 12, 2015, 05:38 AM
It's no surprise if PSO2 beats WoW to having its own show.

Just look at how many collabs Sega does with so many animes.

Maenara
Jul 12, 2015, 05:43 AM
no, pso2 will die tomorrow like it dies everyday
pso2 dies every time someone makes these posts
then the servers are magically resurrected instantaneously and the cycle renews while no one is the wiser

Cypher_9
Jul 12, 2015, 05:45 AM
pso2 dies every time someone makes these posts

But, the servers were up when I made this post... o 3o

Poyonche
Jul 12, 2015, 05:56 AM
It is because they immediately used a Moon Atomizer.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 12, 2015, 05:58 AM
World of Warcraft is getting a movie adaptation though....not that I play it.

wefwq
Jul 12, 2015, 07:00 AM
PSO2 will die when it got killed.

Maenara
Jul 12, 2015, 07:06 AM
But, the servers were up when I made this post... o 3o

it gets revived very quickly you see

Cypher_9
Jul 12, 2015, 07:31 AM
It is because they immediately used a Moon Atomizer.

it gets revived very quickly you see

But, how can that be if it didn't die... o 3o

Anyway, I already see where this is going, to the mod who is in control of this please delete this thread.

It is pointless as many is already establishing. ^^

Lashette
Jul 12, 2015, 08:25 AM
Sega realizing they messed up???? are you sure you're not confusing SoA, with SoJ??? Besides that though just looking at how the game has lasted 3 years so far, and the Phantasy Star Team not showing any signs of slowing down. I really doubt Sega is going to pull the plug on PSO2 any time soon. Also, even if Sega pulls the plug on the game. There is still going to be a community, that will put all the effort they can to keep the game alive. In the meantime, don't worry so much about how long this game is gonna last. And just enjoy it while it's here.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 12, 2015, 09:03 AM
Not only is the game growing but Sega keeps pimping it during their stock investor meetings. It isn't going anywhere.

Cypher_9
Jul 12, 2015, 10:52 AM
.... In the meantime, don't worry so much about how long this game is gonna last. And just enjoy it while it's here.

Yes I am aware of the 3 years this had lasted, and perhaps I did confuse the two so forgive me on that.

Phantasy Star universe lasted for 5 years and it perished.

Now don't make me out to be a bigot, I would want this to last as long as it can as I too had believed with the other series before it. This was merely a what if senario because even the best of things can go down hill. Again I am not being a negative nancy as others who have posted wanted to be or assholes in general but, I really don't need a lesson on how to enjoy a game I am already enjoying with the shit luck that I have.

Main reason I do come back is the fact I am deeply rooted with this game - I really didn't wanna go into such addendum but, really; this isn't too serious and no compass need to be passed.

Again I try to make a simple topic and yet its gets thrashed trashed and trolled. Thanks to those who did give this a glance. Anyway I just expected too much from this XD

P.S. Perhaps the reason why, or perhaps the absolute truth that Phantasy Star Online 2 would never come to NA is because they learned their lesson from the past 10 + years in importing this game to our country. And of course I can already see the strength it has well within the community it originated from. Les not forget that we are but, a minority and we (unless we know a lick of japanese) would get to voice our opinions and wants on this game; however the truth is that JPN is in control and they are the ones holding this game up... We are just fodder on the side if anything - sorry if that sounded harsh.

So again it is my misunderstanding in mashing the two extensions as one, no doubt this would survive if it remains within its pure community - so there I answered my own woe (not really woe) from the very beginning. So there this topic have ended by my own hand XD

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 12, 2015, 09:14 PM
First off PSU lasted 6 years and second if shitty ass PSU can last for 6 years with the most drip fed crap I've ever endured in a MMO then PSO2 isn't going ANYWHERE :). Oh forgot to mention but PSU died in Japan the moment the PSO2 beta was up and running so you can say PSO2 killed the little life PSU had in Japan.

silo1991
Jul 12, 2015, 09:59 PM
World of Warcraft is getting a movie adaptation though....not that I play it.

its not WOW , is the main RTS series of warcraft and i think the 1st and 2nd games are gonna be adapted

hoangsea
Jul 13, 2015, 10:05 AM
PSO2 JP will last but PSO2 SEA will close soon
i bet !

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2015, 12:52 PM
this game might spit in the face of it's own series, but it's super fucking successful. It's pretty horrible. Or maybe that just goes to show that this series was mediocre and not worth continuing properly anyway.

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2015, 01:58 PM
Not sure what that recent Sega realization was. They pretty much decided to kill the entire series, in the west, with the exception of some re-releases of the original series. Basically, unless unofficial or by means of Adhoc play on the two portable Phantasy Star multiplayer games, there is nothing for the West anymore. Thus my often quoted importance of why I felt PSZ and PSP2/PSP2i were such important releases.

I think it'll survive a good while in Japan, though. Sega isn't exactly sitting on a lot of videogame money-makers right now, and all of their big production titles seem to stay over there unless someone else foots the bill.

I do still have a hope that, in the future, someone over there will get inspired enough to push a more global acceptance of the brand again. Someone with the passion to give everybody the full vision of it. I still consider the story and lore of Phantasy Star, and it's unique place in all of RPGs to be too important not to. It created a place with a backstory that is still, to this day, so unique, it still harkens to what we may hope to see in entertainment in our future.

The idea of a place where the social norm expects a woman to be the savior of the day just as much, if not more than a man (simply by historical example), and nobody within that society, even has a second thought about it. It is that story where a society can fondly remember such a Strong woman without the fact that she was a woman even being a thing of discussion. A place where an interviewer wouldn't even ask the question, "So what inspired you to put strong women in your work?" As what happens pretty much everywhere else. They did it, from the getgo, without a hidden reveal of gender or anything. Alis was just Alis, and she was there without any other fanfare that "This is Phantasy Star, and this is our starring hero."

After so many games, while she's still idolized in Lore, society kind of fell into a rather balanced role kind of thinking. People selected simply by drive, convenience, and their own qualifications.

Noblewine
Jul 13, 2015, 05:47 PM
Keep giving them monies and the game will be around longer. =0

un1t27
Jul 13, 2015, 05:48 PM
Nope...

SlN
Jul 14, 2015, 01:08 PM
I didn't read any other posts but heres my opinion.

PSO1 lasted a long time and when it finally finished multiple private servers opened up, that are still active today. So even pso1 hasnt completly died yet. The same fate will most likely occur with pso2.

This game has been around for 4 years and is still pretty damn active and the third most popular mmo in japan, its not going anywhere for awhile, unless sega shits the bed.

dingophone
Jul 14, 2015, 01:24 PM
I didn't read any other posts but heres my opinion.

PSO1 lasted a long time and when it finally finished multiple private servers opened up, that are still active today. So even pso1 hasnt completly died yet. The same fate will most likely occur with pso2.

This game has been around for 4 years and is still pretty damn active and the third most popular mmo in japan, its not going anywhere for awhile, unless sega shits the bed.

Pretty much this exactly. With the anime coming out, PSO2 is arguably still growing even. Look at the block populations; XH is usually overflowing onto the ult blocks (premium space included!) these days. I think we've got a while to go :)

Erza
Jul 14, 2015, 05:00 PM
sega is ignroring freemium for too long now
it's time to increase freemium storage to 300
10* rare weps & units should be pass free
11* wep pass rewards at least 1x weekly
don't get me wrong the game is still better and more enjoyable
than most F2P games will ever be as a freemium user.
but alienating new players & old freemium users
will be the start of the end

TheszNuts
Jul 14, 2015, 05:11 PM
sega is ignroring freemium for too long now
it's time to increase freemium storage to 300
10* rare weps & units should be pass free
11* wep pass rewards at least 1x weekly
don't get me wrong the game is still better and more enjoyable
than most F2P games will ever be as a freemium user.
but alienating new players & old freemium users
will be the start of the end

But the irony is it's the paying users that keeps the game as successful as it is.

Erza
Jul 14, 2015, 05:42 PM
But the irony is it's the paying users that keeps the game as successful as it is.

oh glorious premium masterace thank you for making the game successful
so the dirty freemium peasants like me can enjoy the game
especially thx for selling me your overpriced junk items you weard 2 patches ago :D

ArcaneTechs
Jul 14, 2015, 06:45 PM
oh glorious premium masterace thank you for making the game successful
so the dirty freemium peasants like me can enjoy the game
especially thx for selling me your overpriced junk items you weard 2 patches ago :D
1. You signed up a free account
2. You downloaded their free game that includes all updates
3. You login and make your character
4. You play for hours on end
5. You play for years whenever you please
6. You probably haven't bought AC still after all this time
7. You aren't contributing financially to the Company/Game in any way at still

Even if you bought AC and you decide to spend it on the AC scratches rather than a month of Prem but expect Freemium players to be rewarded in some way, your pretty much wrong still.

You aren't giving the company any support, your just on playing their game so why go out of their way to make vast updates to Freemium at all? When they can add on more to Premium to make it more enticing?

Your basically lucky you got 12* passes just for doing the bare minimal without even having to be Prem

Asuka~
Jul 14, 2015, 07:10 PM
Pretty much that ^
I've been 'Freemium' for a little over a year (2013-2014) and didn't really complain about much other than wanting better weapons that were available on the shops and getting into premium-filled blocks for 'better' runs. Even then, I enjoyed the hell out of the game and still do to an extent. And Erza, SEGA is planning on addressing that storage problem sometime in the future so you don't need to worry about that too much, I guess. You could always get 200 extra storage by using the OTP.

KazukiQZ
Jul 14, 2015, 07:17 PM
'What if' weapon pass is made tradeable? I certainly won't mind that xD

Asuka~
Jul 14, 2015, 07:31 PM
Me neither, honestly. xD But would that make more people not want to get premium? Then again... Premium space in blocks, extra storage... Hmm... I guess it could work, I don't know. :o

Erza
Jul 14, 2015, 08:00 PM
1. You signed up a free account
2. You downloaded their free game that includes all updates
3. You login and make your character
4. You play for hours on end
5. You play for years whenever you please
6. You probably haven't bought AC still after all this time
7. You aren't contributing financially to the Company/Game in any way at still

have shoveled more than 3k euros is sega's azz for consoles & games +1k for internet bills back than to play pso on dreamcast online (no flat rates at that time : /) aint doing shizz paying microtransactions for a lag fest

that's what i wrote 1 year ago and im not complaining just saying what they can do better since i'm an experienced freemium player ^^

ArcaneTechs
Jul 14, 2015, 09:04 PM
have shoveled more than 3k euros is sega's azz for consoles & games +1k for internet bills back than to play pso on dreamcast online (no flat rates at that time : /) aint doing shizz paying microtransactions for a lag fest

that's what i wrote 1 year ago and im not complaining just saying what they can do better since i'm an experienced freemium player ^^
Literally none of that matters to them, it may to you but doesn't factor in to anything for them to even take action for Freemium players.

You and everyone else is an "experienced" Freemium the moment Prem goes out or you can't find the means of buying AC for whatever reason.

They discussed storage space already not too long ago, what they're doing for that I don't know but for now Prem or OTP will suffice until they implement more space for everyone