PDA

View Full Version : Why so many people hate xbox so much ?

Symtex
Apr 24, 2003, 02:51 PM
Isn't it the same PSO game ? I am a GC and a xbox owner and love both console. That both enable me to play the game I love so much. It shouldn't make a difference on which platform you play.

If Nintendo would of come out with PSO online + voice chat (like xbox live) you would all love and preach about it. Where I live, everyone has broadband so xbox live is not issue, I know some of you can't get broadboad, it's really sad. I wish you could. Voice really needs broadboad .

zimmk2vgc
Apr 24, 2003, 03:11 PM
It aint an argument over Xbox live. I hate Xbox coz its ****. The pad is horribe, the graphics are worse than that of my sega megadrive, and it aint anywhere near close to the speed of a Gamecube. Plus its the size of a small island and weighs more than a Sainsbury's lorry carrying gazpacho soup.

Xbox live takes the fun outta PSO. I'd use a keyboard anyday than voice chat, takes all the fun away.

psomatic
Apr 24, 2003, 03:13 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^fanboys don't like what they cannot understand...

Pungee
Apr 24, 2003, 03:19 PM
On 2003-04-24 13:13, psomatic wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^fanboys don't like what they cannot understand...

No no no, fanboys don't like what they can't afford. That's why 90% of idiots like him are under 18. Fact.

Sailor_V_64
Apr 24, 2003, 03:24 PM
i'm leaning towards that not affording part as well.
that's the only real reason i can think of.

Reanimated
Apr 24, 2003, 03:24 PM
Question: Why so many people hate xbox so much ?

Answer: Because they are morons.

Wolf_Warhead
Apr 24, 2003, 03:30 PM
well, I got a Cube, and I'd love voice-chat... (as soon as I get on-line http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif ) With a keyboard, you got to TYPE "HELP ME, I'M LOW ON HP!" and avoid the enemies at the same time. By the time you typed it all, you're already death... While yelling it gets double the attention. (I bet it's really hard to enjoy a game of Belra-Beating while somebody yells "HELP ME!" in your ear all the time...)

*Edit* I can't believe that people smart enough to buy PSO lower themselves to the level of name-calling...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wolf_Warhead on 2003-04-24 13:32 ]</font>

Reanimated
Apr 24, 2003, 03:34 PM
OMG, have another slice of cheddar there Chester Cheesyton.

Symtex
Apr 24, 2003, 03:37 PM
On 2003-04-24 13:11, zimmk2vgc wrote:
It aint an argument over Xbox live. I hate Xbox coz its ****. The pad is horribe, the graphics are worse than that of my sega megadrive, and it aint anywhere near close to the speed of a Gamecube. Plus its the size of a small island and weighs more than a Sainsbury's lorry carrying gazpacho soup.

Xbox live takes the fun outta PSO. I'd use a keyboard anyday than voice chat, takes all the fun away.

You are obviously blinded and not ready to except the truth. I can see that you never experience the xbox cause all the argument your are enumerating are so false except for the size of the console. I was like you before until I experience first hand the differences. In the middle of the action, Voice is really a must

Sluggo
Apr 24, 2003, 03:54 PM
zimmk2vgc, oh my god, I dont flame but i must with this typical fanboy reply.

Lets Break down his post.

<<I hate Xbox coz its ****. >>

good start I cant argue with that, it was just so well thought out.

<<The pad is horribe>>

Well, there is two differant pads neither of which is Horribe. infact ive heard more people complain about the gamecube controller than the xbox and personally I think they are both fine for their purpose.

<<the graphics are worse than that of my sega megadrive>>

Here is were your argument went down hill. You let your jealousy rear its ugly head. Just because Xbox has been *PROVEN* to have the best graphics of any video game console you feel inadequate. Bad choice in any argument.

<<and it aint anywhere near close to the speed of a Gamecube>>

Again your not only wrong but you sound almost like you belive it too, you have all the symptoms of a fanboy who knows nothing.

<<Plus its the size of a small island and weighs more than a Sainsbury's lorry carrying gazpacho soup.
>>

uhhhhhh, go lift some weights then wimp, jesus... my little sister carries hers around fine.

Source: MobyNuke.com

Nintindo's Gamecube has found itself being crushed by the Microsoft X-box. Since its release 17 months ago, the X-box has out-sold the Gamecube in consoles and games every single month of its existance. X-box doubled sales in November and has sold 20% more consoles and games than the Gamecube.

Sorry but the weight argument is stupid anyways.

And to finish it all off your grand finale!!

<<Xbox live takes the fun outta PSO. I'd use a keyboard anyday than voice chat, takes all the fun away.>>

Xbox has both, so stop your bitchin' , nuff said. thank you.

The Moral of the story?

Zimmk2vgc is an idiot.

AND! that gamecube and Xbox are both good consoles and anyone bashing either is usually a dick like Zimm here.

2Xtreme
Apr 24, 2003, 03:57 PM

I think this sums it all up. People hate the Xbox because they are idiots.

Alizar
Apr 24, 2003, 03:59 PM
Well 1st no 1 like Bill Gates, and 2nd u notice the similarites between Xbox and DC? the controll er online adapter u no...

Symtex
Apr 24, 2003, 04:05 PM
I couldn't agree more. I always said the xbox was a DC II. It has the same kinda controller, the same kinda game, the internal online adapter.

Forget about Bill Gates. Think about what you get for the price :

1. An fierce console capable of generation more polygons then any console before

2. Online gaming with voice chat, friend list and anti-cheating mecanism for online play

3. A HD, bye bye memory card

I rest my case

Malkavian
Apr 24, 2003, 04:06 PM
What a dumb topic

There's more people bashing the gamecube and at least I dont see everytime people saying GC is superior because yes and stuff. Maybe my experience in this thread is limited but not false.

Saying why people bash systems would be a more correct question.

Brundidge
Apr 24, 2003, 04:07 PM
I'm not going to say I don't like the xbox since I have one myself. Its just that there's not that many games on the Xbox that appeal to me. Plus games cost money and its sucks to work *sigh* Anywho the console war systems are great though. I don't have a big library myself since work/school takes up so much time there might not be even a small chance of light for my games to have attention. The guy who said its worst than the sega megadrive LOL I salute you for your stupidity http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brundidge on 2003-04-24 14:22 ]</font>

Symtex
Apr 24, 2003, 04:10 PM
On 2003-04-24 14:06, Malkavian wrote:
What a dumb topic

There's more people bashing the gamecube and at least I dont see everytime people saying GC is superior because yes and stuff. Maybe my experience in this thread is limited but not false.

Saying why people bash systems would be a more correct question.

I new to the PSO community. All I've read on this forums was how Xbox was bad and that GC rocks. I didn't want to start a system war. I was pointing out that it shouldn't matter which console you play PSO. It's still PSO.

Danderdag
Apr 24, 2003, 04:57 PM
Yeah here on PSO world I don't see much cube bashing, but I see alot of Xbox bashing. While it's true that I only own the xbox game, I don't think that it makes me a fanboy. It means that when GC pso came out I said to myself 'I only want to buy this game once, I'll wait for the xbox one since the xbox version is almost always superior.'
Anyone who owns both systems (or all 3, like me) knows that sadly it is almost always that way. I own 4 gamecube games, 11 ps2 games, and 42 Xbox games. The deciding factor? Multiplatform titles. I don't own a single one on either of the other two systems. There are games that are better on ps2 and cube, but I don't own any of them.
I guess I got off track, no matter where you play PSO you can't go wrong.

ancutcho
Apr 24, 2003, 05:03 PM
42 xbox games! wow u spend alot of money on games. i only got 12 xbox games and 1 gamecube game which is pso. i think imma sell my gamecube pretty soon since i got psox.

Danderdag
Apr 24, 2003, 05:12 PM
Yes, I do spend alot of money on games =D
I've got close to 50 DC games (48 I think), THAT was the best system.

Para
Apr 24, 2003, 05:47 PM
i dont hate xbox but its just that xbox right now is very vunerable to hacks..

TerribleDeliMeat
Apr 24, 2003, 05:51 PM
On 2003-04-24 15:47, Nites wrote:

Xbox isnt vunerable to hacks. Sonic Team's sloppy PSO code is vunerable to hacks. PSO is the only game to date thats had this kind of problems. If it were funky Live servers, you'd see it on other live games.

x66Shadow66x
Apr 24, 2003, 05:56 PM
On 2003-04-24 15:51, TerribleDeliMeat wrote:

Xbox isnt vunerable to hacks. Sonic Team's sloppy PSO code is vunerable to hacks. PSO is the only game to date thats had this kind of problems. If it were funky Live servers, you'd see it on other live games.

So true man, I'm glad you brought that point up!

Reenee
Apr 24, 2003, 08:26 PM
Hopefully I won't be called a fanboy for my reasons.

1. Here's my one big factor: GAMES. Lots of games, right? Right. Most of them good? Nope. I said "most", right? Right. There aren't a lot of games that appeal to me. Even though I like FPSs, I can't play Unreal Championship with a lousy controller, especially a bulgy one that comes with the console. I don't want to spend more money to make myself comfortable. In fact, if I remember right, Microsoft even made a slimmer controller. Why not package those with XBoxes along with standard ones? I could be wrong, though. I'm not up to speed with rival console news.
2. Broadband-only console. I thank Sony for giving us the opportunity to experience narrowband and broadband on the same device and keep a low price. Nintendo at least gives you options, but it's okay: I'm going to be stuck with narrowband for awhile. Micro$oft (hmm, wait, I should take out the dollar sign...M$ Office for Mac OS X is pretty good) forces you to accept broadband. While I'm not complaining that BB is bad, it's just that most of us don't have that kind of money to afford it and we also have to deal with what we've got (which isn't bad all the time, but hey, c'mon, this is our entertainment).
3. It's a computer, duh. I have to face with computer problems. This is also why people can dupe with PSO: they make a copy of their player file to their computer, use the XBox saved one to move the items to another character, trash the XBox save and bring back the copy. Modded XBox or not, just one person can cause calamity. Okay, so there's the chance of patches, but the trouble can be stopped in the first place. Save some trouble, ne?
4. I'm not sure this can fit here: Why should Microsoft take over server-side on our games? Why do they have to be so frickin' stingy and not let us play how the game should be played? Yes, I'm particularly appalled by the fact that XBox users can't play with international players. WHY? What's so damn wrong with that?
5. There is no number five. At this point, I've run out of ideas and up to the point of making up silly discussion with ridiculous accusations. Feel free to prove me wrong. This is only discussion.

Score one for proper spelling. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

obi-wang
Apr 24, 2003, 08:44 PM
ive got no real problem with the xbox itself, however i do have beef with microsoft. so that probably means i wont be getting one anytime soon because i dont like actually paying for anything they make. =)

Para
Apr 24, 2003, 09:01 PM
On 2003-04-24 15:56, x66Shadow66x wrote:

On 2003-04-24 15:51, TerribleDeliMeat wrote:

So true man, I'm glad you brought that point up!

i guess thats partially true... PSO's coding is rather.... easy... just look at the pc version...
but partially xbox is part of the fault because the easy accessibility..

Danderdag
Apr 24, 2003, 09:32 PM
if you think hacking a PSO character is 'easy accessibility' you're sadly mistaken. I've actually had two xbox's, and I've messed around on the harddrive of the other one, it's not rocket science, but it's by far harder than hacking other PSO versions.

CakeMan
Apr 24, 2003, 09:35 PM
X-BOXES ARE HUGE...no im jp i have nothing against the cross box, or the no square...

hey x-box=x-cube=gamecube=game2=playstation2?

Symtex
Apr 25, 2003, 09:39 AM
To awnser some of your reply :

1.The S-controller (the smaller one) is the since 6 month the factory default controller.

2. Broadband is wonderfull for online gaming. I can play UC against 15 other people without any lag. You can't do that with narrowband.

3. I think the major beef with the xbox it the name microsoft of it. It's a Dreamcast II for godsake. you don't see it ? same controller, same online adapter, same game. Open your eyes.

I think it's stupid that people stop themself for buying a pieces of hardware just because it's produce by Microsoft. Microsoft's hardware have always been good quality. Just take microsoft mouse or keyboard. They are high quality product. They not even make by Microsoft. They are made by a 3rd party company and Microsoft just put their name on it.

The Gaming Division as nothing to do with the Windows Division. I have Windows too. who doesn't ? But Microsoft Game studio is a totaly different deparement. They have produced High quality game in the past : Age of empires, Dungeon Siege, flight Simulator just to name a few.

Stay blinded and keep your gamecube. I have both so I can enjoy Zelda / MP and xbox live at home. A perfect world

Fett56
Apr 25, 2003, 09:52 AM
i thought the original controller sucked too, at first. But after you use it a lot, you realize how good it is. It no longer feels uncomfortable, and it no long feels like a brick. It is my favorite controller now, and i cant stand the C-stick on the gamecube.

gallaugher
Apr 25, 2003, 10:11 AM
On 2003-04-25 07:39, Symtex wrote:
2. Broadband is wonderfull for online gaming. I can play UC against 15 other people without any lag. You can't do that with narrowband.

This is a rediculous point. Of course broadband is better. No one is arguing against that! The point is that if you are a dial up user (this is the vast majority of people in the U.S. with internet access btw) you can't even use X Box live. The only way you could would be to set up a dedicated computer running Internet Connection Sharing (or some other proxy), add a network card & connect a crossover cable to your xbox. That is pretty weak.

The_Pew
Apr 25, 2003, 10:18 AM
GC is gewd but PSO's true home is on the XBOX and you cant change it no matter how many times you say XBOX sux.

Omni-SqwirL
Apr 25, 2003, 10:19 AM
The answers to the arguments I have heard:

1) Graphics - Gamecube vs Xbox - Xbox has slightly better graohics than the GC. You can tell if you look closely, but it's still noticable at first glance

2) Speed - Xbox obviously....sorry for the short answer

3) Controller - Both controller are equally good. Personally, I didn't by the GC because I didn't like the controller, but that's just me.

4) Voice chat - It's ok, get's annoying at time. I would love to have a keyboard at the same time.

5) Hacking - The reason the Xbox has been targeted as being the most hackable console has one main reason........Since Microsoft is the biggest computer company in the world, hackers love a challenge. So, since hackers are generally attarcted to bigger brand names, they tend to work harder and target Xbox and other Microsoft accessories more often. The question I have to ask is....is the Xbox really more "hackable" than GC, or is it the fact that more and more "leet hackers" want to have the challenge in hacking a Microsoft product for just have the right to say "Hey, I hacked a Microsoft product! 1 1337 hax0r!!!!111"

6) Size - I love big consoles...makes me feel mighty *rarrrr*

The_Pew
Apr 25, 2003, 10:21 AM
MS has means to keep hackers off PSO. thas all they told me in an email.

Kianchi
Apr 25, 2003, 10:28 AM
OK why i think Xbox is a 200 dollar door stop, I've played all systems and I've even own all systems at one time, but i got rid of the Xbox and my Ps2 is dieing and GAMECUBE is kicking strong, but to the point, When i buy a console I buy it for exclusive games, when u ask anyone with an xbox what games are good 90% of the time they say Halo, and DOA:extreme volley ball, I will admit when i had the Xbox i enjoyed Halo it was a typical FPS but it was extremly fun for typical, and I'm sorry but DOA if i want to see chicks in bikinis then i would go to the beach THE REAL BEACH WITH REAL WOMEN, if i owned that game i would be Embarrassed to let anyone know, most of Xbox exclusives could not keep my attetion, while, the Exclusives for Gamecube, have kept me playing such as Resident evil, and RE 0, Starfox, Eternal Darkness,Metroid PRime (a fps in its own class) even mario, Zelda, plus future titles, I rest my case, THe verdict Stands

Feel the Power cubed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kianchi on 2003-04-25 08:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kianchi on 2003-04-25 08:37 ]</font>

Lman90245
Apr 25, 2003, 10:32 AM
I'm not a fanboy of eaither console (I have both, and yes Xbox does have better graphics) however... I am a cheap-ass I'm not paying for the yearly fee of Xbox lives $50.00 and the monthly HL for PSO... add it up 8.95 for X many months and $50.00 for X many years... I can afford it, but why? yes, yes voice chat has its perks but at least there is some kind of censorship with a keyboard...

saffaya
Apr 25, 2003, 10:35 AM
On 2003-04-25 08:19, Omni-SqwirL wrote:
I have to ask is....is the Xbox really more "hackable" than GC, or is it the fact that more and more "leet hackers" want to have the challenge in hacking a Microsoft product

The fact lies with that you can do so much more with a Modded Xbox than a GC. Thanks to the HD and ethernet port.
some examples :
_Progressive display DVD player
_Media (mp3, DivX, mpeg, ..) player, can even stream real time from a linked PC (media files stored on PC)
_Linux workstation
_Arcade games emulator (+dozens of other game systems)
etc .. etc ..

That some want then to copy a game on HD and modify it to cheat is just collateral to all the homebrew development made on the box.

gallaugher
Apr 25, 2003, 10:36 AM

Actually this is the one point that NEEDS to be explained in detail. I'd like to see your argument. Please don't give me a 700 Mhz vs. approx 400 Mhz argument. I want to see real proof like benchmarks.

Symtex
Apr 25, 2003, 11:14 AM
On 2003-04-25 08:11, gallaugher wrote:

On 2003-04-25 07:39, Symtex wrote:

This is a rediculous point. Of course broadband is better. No one is arguing against that! The point is that if you are a dial up user (this is the vast majority of people in the U.S. with internet access btw) you can't even use X Box live. The only way you could would be to set up a dedicated computer running Internet Connection Sharing (or some other proxy), add a network card & connect a crossover cable to your xbox. That is pretty weak.

Dial-up is pretty weak my friend. I'm sorry that broadband is not available in your area. The games are more bandwith hog then it's used to be.

BTW you won't be able to connect to xbox live with a dial the way you describe it. They check for ping rate before connecting to prevent dial-up user from using it.

Symtex
Apr 25, 2003, 11:16 AM
On 2003-04-25 08:36, gallaugher wrote:

Actually this is the one point that NEEDS to be explained in detail. I'd like to see your argument. Please don't give me a 700 Mhz vs. approx 400 Mhz argument. I want to see real proof like benchmarks.

The xbox is a beast. The loading is very fast. I'll try a benchmark this weekend. I'll rent PSO for GC and we will compare.

gallaugher
Apr 25, 2003, 11:28 AM
On 2003-04-25 09:14, Symtex wrote:
Dial-up is pretty weak my friend. I'm sorry that broadband is not available in your area. The games are more bandwith hog then it's used to be.

Absolutely correct. Dial up is weak. Unfortunately it is still the king. Don't be sorry though because I have DSL at home but I do play pso w/many dial up users.

Symtex
Apr 25, 2003, 11:32 AM
I work for and ISP in the gaming division. so I talk alot to gamers that plays online. Once you go to the dark side of DSL you won't go back.

Valleo
Apr 25, 2003, 12:13 PM
Ill never understand these console wars. Ive never bought a console before they released a game I wanted, going all the way back to my NES. Different people buy different consoles depending on that console library, I think, not because they love that paricular console or because of how big or small it is. Its not like you would buy a console for any other purpose than to play games anyways.... an argument about 2 versions of PSO is pointless.

I myself will be staying on the GameCube simply because I dont feel like throwing away all my characters. If the games came out at the same time then I would have taken a closer look before deciding which console to play it on. Please stop these threads, I was happy that we didnt have these flame-war-console-fanboy posts as much here as say Gamefaqs.

MadCowChuck_
Apr 25, 2003, 12:44 PM
Agreed. Although as long as there is any fanboy for any console, there will stand a chance for petty discussions and fights.

People hate Microsoft or whatever for different reasons, if at all. Not because they are poor, stupid, or a complete idiot like some people stereotypically generalized here. I don't like MicroSoft because their support is worth crap to me in the past, and their products are...easily broken. I used to have a Microsoft-made cordless mouse and keybaord. I also have a Logitech brand of both. I know which broke first, and I'm sure you've picked up my point there.

This is why I don't like XBox: I'm not poor, and I'm not stupid. I personally cannot rationalize throwing away my time and money for GCN PSO to get a different version of the same game. Likewise, I don't find much of XBox's library to be of my suiting.

And my point? There are reasons why people don't prefer Nintendo or Microsoft for their console gaming. Making stupidly thought-out generalizations doesn't change that. I have reasons for not liking XBox. There are reasons for people not liking GCN.

There. Get over it: there are 2 versions of PSO. But it's the same game, people. Looking at "slightly better graphics" or "slightly better load times" doesn't make a damn of a difference. It's the same game. It's PSO. Sheesh...alls I can say is stop bickering and get back to what really matters here: the damn game.

Thank you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MadCowChuck_ on 2003-04-25 10:46 ]</font>

satoshi1
Apr 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
My reasons for disliking (notice: I didn't say hate because if I have the chance, I WILL play an Xbox game. Personally, I think Halo is awesome, I played it at my friends and it beats almost any FPS to the ground) the Xbox are mostly because of Microsoft. They make an operating system that has security holes practically everywhere and their tech support sucks. I don't hate the Xbox, I hate Microsoft. Their reputation affects the sales of anything they make, which in turns causes people to not want what they offer. Sure, they may offer a good product, but just because they're Microsoft the product may not sell well (I'm not saying that it doesn't sell well, practically everywhere I look, one's being sold..). Also, my dislike towards the Xbox is partly from the massive amounts of fanboys that have been brainwashed by the technical numbers of the system. Sure it has the fasted processor, sure it has a harddrive with 8GB of space (::Sarcasm:: woo! 8 gig! that's a helluva lot of space! ::/Sarcasm:: Maybe for 1998! I have an 80GB harddrive in my computer!), sure it's got a built in broadband adapter (which in my opinion sucks because most of the U.S. is still dial-up (i'm not bashing broadband, I use broadband, it kicks ass)). But the technical statistics of a system don't make it superior! It's the games! But even then we have fanboys of specific games. The Console Wars will never be over, the least we can do is ignore them.

Yes, I own a Gamecube, but that doesn't automatically make a Nintendo fanboy. I would love to own a PS2 to play Dark Cloud2, SOCOM, the Final Fantasy's, and many other PS2 titles, and owning an Xbox for their games would also be very nice. But I don't see it happening soon because I don't have a job to buy everything I want. And no, Gamecube fanboys don't hate the Xbox because they don't have enough money to buy one, they hate the Xbox because they're uneducated and easily brainwashed (can anyone think of a better word?). As are ALL fanboys! Fangirls included too!

Ok, sorry, there's my yearly rant, I'll leave now, thanks for your time.

Kthak
Apr 25, 2003, 01:39 PM
On 2003-04-25 08:35, saffaya wrote:

I have to ask is....is the Xbox really more "hackable" than GC, or is it the fact that more and more "leet hackers" want to have the challenge in hacking a Microsoft product

The fact lies with that you can do so much more with a Modded Xbox than a GC. Thanks to the HD and ethernet port.
some examples :
_Progressive display DVD player
_Media (mp3, DivX, mpeg, ..) player, can even stream real time from a linked PC (media files stored on PC)
_Linux workstation
_Arcade games emulator (+dozens of other game systems)
etc .. etc ..

That some want then to copy a game on HD and modify it to cheat is just collateral to all the homebrew development made on the box.

I have a progressive scan DVD player, it is made by Sony.
My computer plays my media files just fine.
My computer also runs linux.
MAME seems to run fine on my computer.

If I want those things, I don't need an XBox. When I get a console I get it for the games, not because I "Can do stuff to it by modifying it." I have a PS2 because of Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Grand Theft Auto, many other games, and because the latest generation of games look just as good as those on the current Xbox gen. I have a Gamecube because of PSO, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin (awesome game, try to find anything like it on XBox), Animal Crossing, RE 0, Rogue Squadron 2, SSB Melee, Metroid Prim, and more. The graphics on my Cube are amazing, and the "better graphics" of the XBox aren't extraordinarily better... just slightly (Not worth the $140 extra when I bought my Cube). I have played the XBox, a few of my friends have them. Halo was a decent FPS, but I prefer my FPS games on my computer (which has better graphics than the XBox...). The only other games I would think about getting are all ports from other systems, so I don't need an XBox to play them. The controller is horrible, the buttons are hard and uncomfortable, and even for my big hands (I'm 6'4" so I have pretty large hands) the controller just doesn't feel right. I haven't touched the S-Controller, but even though it is smaller it would still have the problems with the buttons. I love my GC controller, it isn't to small, the C-Stick is great. I love the button layout (took a few days to get used to). The PS2 controller is the best designed controller to date, and you can't even argue that.

Now, the dial-up arguement. Sadly the majority of people in the world are still on dial-up internet and Microsoft basically doesn't care. They catered to a minority of people (of which I belong, I have DSL) while both Sony and Nintendo catered to everyone. I have played PSO with modem users, and I couldn't tell (other than the time they took to join the server). Anyway, I have more to write but I have a class in 20 minutes and I have to drive 20 minutes to get to my university.

Auracom
Apr 25, 2003, 02:42 PM
It's not the Xbox, I hate its all the fanboys that come along withit. I'm really kinda neutral when it comes to consoles. Xbox has alot of really cool titles but I have no money. I have enough trouble with paying for my HL. lol ah well I'll find a job sooner or later.

Kthak
Apr 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
On 2003-04-25 12:42, Auracom wrote:
It's not the Xbox, I hate its all the fanboys that come along withit. I'm really kinda neutral when it comes to consoles. Xbox has alot of really cool titles but I have no money. I have enough trouble with paying for my HL. lol ah well I'll find a job sooner or later.

XBox does have a lot of fanboys... I mean just look at this thread for a good example, anyone who doesn't think the XBox ROXXORS is a moron.

CrossKnight
Apr 25, 2003, 03:19 PM
oh yes I'm not a moron!

Bloodberry
Apr 25, 2003, 03:27 PM
On 2003-04-25 08:18, The_Pew wrote:
GC is gewd but PSO's true home is on the XBOX and you cant change it no matter how many times you say XBOX sux.

Sorry, you seem to be saying "XBOX" where you should be saying "Dreamcast" which if I'm not incorrect was the first system to ever have PSO, had it for a verrrrrrrry long time, and was the system owned by the company before it left the hardware making business?

Tulathis
Apr 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
There are a lot of good arguments here, and then there are some really poor arguments. I'm not going to argue for one side or the other, but rather list some fairly generally accepted points and let you draw your own conclusions.

1. Shorter load time are better than longer ones.
2. The more memory capacity, the better.
3. Having multiple online games available is better than having just one.
4. Controlers are a matter of preference, there is no "best controller ever."
5. Having something built into a system is better than having to buy it seperately.
6. Broadband is preferable to dial up.
7. Better graphics are preferable to worse.
8. Better sound is preferable to worse.
9. Cheaper is better.
10. More option are preferable to fewer.

CrossKnight
Apr 25, 2003, 03:47 PM
I'd say that post wraps it up...

IceBlink
Apr 25, 2003, 04:07 PM
I wonder if fanboys buy a console, and then just sit for hours staring at it? o_O

I buy consoles for the games, not to spread praise about it. I still wanna get Xbox someday for Jet Set Radio Future and Shenmue 3 and beyond, but I brought the gamecube first due to PSO and Zelda, as well as Smash Bros Melee. But then, I still want a PS2 to play FFX, and Kingdom Hearts. >_<

I wish Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft would make a console called the Play-X-Cube or something. XD

Danderdag
Apr 25, 2003, 05:05 PM
FFX and Kingdom hearts both suck (and yes, I own them).
Similarly starfox REALLY sucks, worst 50 bucks I've spent on a next generation game.
As an informed buyer who buys lots of games, and owns every system, I honestly feel Xbox has the best library. I really don't care that it's 'more powerful' or any of that, I feel that it has the best games, and that's all it comes down to.
Metroid Prime is a godly game, but I've beaten it a couple times with no reason to go back to it, so I find people arguing about it silly. Similarly I'm not playing Halo anymore (although multiplayer ensures I pull it out sometimes). So it really comes down to which system has games that I still want to play, and that is Xbox.
Don't know where I'm going here, every system has fanboys, but I find that generally Xbox fanboys are people that own multiple systems, while PS2 and Cube fanboys only own that system, and find it more necessary to insult the other two.

StrikeTeam
Apr 25, 2003, 05:05 PM
OK i will even admit i had consitered getting a gamecube but the thing that put me over the top was the HD and the built in ethernet. you complain about having to pay for xbox live? well if you get camecub you have to pay about the same for the ethernet adapter then pay more for a memory card. Gamecube is for kids, c'mon even look at the site and majority of games for it. Xbox is truely for a real online gamer. I dont like microsoft as much as the next person hell i use Red Hat linux but that wont stop me from buying a kick ass system. I also hate the GC controller, there just weird and hard to use. GC being small is no reason for getting it, id be afrid id loose it. Well theres my 2 cents.

mightyJoeDunn
Apr 25, 2003, 05:24 PM
I couldn't agree more. I always said the xbox was a DC II. It has the same kinda controller, the same kinda game, the internal online adapter.

Forget about Bill Gates. Think about what you get for the price :

1. An fierce console capable of generation more polygons then any console before

2. Online gaming with voice chat, friend list and anti-cheating mecanism for online play

3. A HD, bye bye memory card

I rest my case

About the HD, I am sorry to say but from everything I have heard on various sites and from my friends that have XBox, being able to save on the HD rather than a memory card and saying it is better than a memory card is s***. About 10 of my friends who have XBox said that in the first week they had it their hardrive crashed and they lost all their memory. It just crashed, because Microsoft is stupid. I have also heard those on various sites as well. I am not trying to bag on XBox, but about their being no Cube bashing is bulls***. I have seen countless acounts of Cube bashing on various forums on this site, with not a whole lot of XBox bashing to show for it. And I think (don't get mad at me I wouldn't exactly KNOW) that the voice chat would be more of a hindrance than a help. Say you are playing with somebody that just died and they keep saying "Give me a moon atomizer, use Reverser on me", would get sooooooooo annoying. Keyboard for me.

Symtex
Apr 25, 2003, 05:37 PM
You never tried it and it shows. My xbox never had problem neither my friend xbox. The Mute option in xbox live is great.

I have a GC too. I like it but I always come back to xbox live. It had so much replay value. Again, I play with my friend so I don't experience any of the annoying guys you keep mentionning. That is why we have a Friend's List.

Kthak
Apr 25, 2003, 06:44 PM
On 2003-04-25 13:33, Tulathis wrote:
There are a lot of good arguments here, and then there are some really poor arguments. I'm not going to argue for one side or the other, but rather list some fairly generally accepted points and let you draw your own conclusions.

1. Shorter load time are better than longer ones.
2. The more memory capacity, the better.
3. Having multiple online games available is better than having just one.
4. Controlers are a matter of preference, there is no "best controller ever."
5. Having something built into a system is better than having to buy it seperately.
6. Broadband is preferable to dial up.
7. Better graphics are preferable to worse.
8. Better sound is preferable to worse.
9. Cheaper is better.
10. More option are preferable to fewer.

1. Yes they are. But how much shorter are they?
2. More memory capacity is better, but it comes at the cost of being easier to hack...
3. But I like PSO, not those other games...
4. Take a poll PS2 controller would win, I just mentioned the controller issue because it is a reason I don't like XBox and one of the XBox fans said they have a better controller.
5. But having a choice of dial up or broadband is much better than being forced into one of them.
6. Not if you don't/can't get broadband. It is hard to play online games... if you can't connect to them.
7. How much better graphics? Unless you are actually LOOKING for the difference you can't tell.
8. If you have 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, which most people don't. I bet you can't tell the difference with stereo. I also heard that they changed the sounds some things made, like meseta... for the worse.
9. To play PSOX I'd have to spend over $300.... that ain't cheap.
10. What options?
11. After a week PSOX has been hacked, you can buy rares from the shops and they have easter eggs, jack o'lanterns, and christmas presents... The XBox is too easy to hack.

Shoryu
Apr 25, 2003, 06:47 PM
"About 10 of my friends who have XBox said that in the first week they had it their hardrive crashed and they lost all their memory. It just crashed, because Microsoft is stupid. I have also heard those on various sites as well."

That statement really smacks of exxageration. 10 friends, and all of them, in the first week, their xbox's HDs crashed? It just crashed, because microsoft is stupid, eh? Microsoft doesn't make the hard drives ; Seagate does.

Anyway that means out of your ten friends, 100% have had hard drive failures. Why aren't we seeing this stuff in the media? You'd think there would be a general uproar if this sort of thing was happening.

But, its not, and by issuing obviously false statements, you devalue the rest of your opinions.

I love cube, but it's turning out just like n64.. one stellar game every 3-4 months (usually first party).

Mario, Metroid, Zelda..
all separated by a span of several months.

I was originally planning on getting pso for cube, but as details emerged, no keyboard... hunters license fee, i just decided to wait for xbox. And, it was worth it.

Kthak
Apr 25, 2003, 06:49 PM
You have to pay the HL fee ANYWAY WITH XBOX!

Reenee
Apr 25, 2003, 07:08 PM
On 2003-04-25 13:27, Bloodberry wrote:

On 2003-04-25 08:18, The_Pew wrote:

Sorry, you seem to be saying "XBOX" where you should be saying "Dreamcast" which if I'm not incorrect was the first system to ever have PSO, had it for a verrrrrrrry long time, and was the system owned by the company before it left the hardware making business?

Yeah, that was quite the statement, Pew. Good way to back it up.

On 2003-04-25 16:49, Kthak wrote:
You have to pay the HL fee ANYWAY WITH XBOX!

Well, gee, that's just PSO. Even I'll admit that when I don't like XBox. THINK, man, THINK.

Kthak
Apr 25, 2003, 07:34 PM
I was responding to this statement:

I was originally planning on getting pso for cube, but as details emerged, no keyboard... hunters license fee, i just decided to wait for xbox. And, it was worth it.

Danderdag
Apr 25, 2003, 10:01 PM
I think what was being said was that PSO fits with the xbox amazingly well. I agree with that. Quite simply if you don't see that this is the best version of PSO yet, you're a fanboy who is unwilling to look at reason, or you haven't even tried to play it.
The dreamcast version seems cumbersome in comparison. I like keyboards, I use my xbox keyboard alot, but I also use voice alot, the mix of both is INCREDIBLY ideal.

Kthak
Apr 25, 2003, 10:23 PM
Oh so if I don't realize the XBox is superior I'm a fanboy? Screw you.

willah
Apr 25, 2003, 10:53 PM
did'ent bill gates make it thats probly why i hate it so much and the controlers are like....big chuncks of .... thing..... there just too big.

Danderdag
Apr 25, 2003, 11:46 PM
Honestly, yes. I don't think everyone has to play it on xbox and I really don't care. But when people just blindly make stupid arguments it irritates me. This happens alot, mostly on gamefaqs (I try not to read message boards there, but sometimes you need info y'know?).
And whoever that last guy is isn't even worth trying to talk to. I mean you DO realize even dreamcast ran on Windows CE, and I can't imagine it's a good idea to rip the DC version of the game here (since alot of players, GC and Xbox are DC vets as far as PSO world goes).

PuffDaMagicTran
Apr 26, 2003, 12:00 AM
honestly i use to dislike the xbox until i got one for christmas.now my opinion has change due to my long hours on xbox live.i highly recommend for those who dont have an xbox to give it a try if they have the cash..if not.keep the fanboyism out of here

Blue147
Apr 26, 2003, 12:39 AM
http://www.geocities.com/bluehumar/pandaofdoom.txt

Danderdag
Apr 26, 2003, 12:56 AM
no it doesn't because we don't know who the picture is referring to. If you mean the poster just prior to that, then you need to take some reading comprehension classes, made perfect sense to me.

Chris22783
Apr 26, 2003, 01:16 AM
Let me start off by saying that the majority of you owe me the 20 minutes of my life it took to read through this message board (apologies and exemptions to: Shapiro, Valleo, MadCowChuck, Satoshi1, Kthak, and Tulathis for posting intelligent responses, I salute you all; Syntex would be exempt, except you started this and your views seem rather biased). This entire topic is utter bullsh*t, and has forced me to post.

I hate the X-Box, if you like it, more power to you. I dont understand you, but great. Now I wish we could all just shut up, but sadly, that most certainly cannot be the case.

I work in a video game store, I have been gaming almost my entire life. I have played almost every console known to man and have no desire to purchase an X-box (and yes, I can afford it, I can even afford to buy one for you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I even like Microsoft (look at my cool blue optical mouse, very nice) but from everything I've seen so far, they have no business being in the console market.

I have played the X-box, it does not look any better (Play Zone of the Enders 2, Gran turismo 3, Metroid Prime, or Resident Evil and tell me it still does). The controller causes me physical pain (and yes I am speaking of the controller S) and the gaming library is severely lacking. The console was created to bring the world of PC gaming to the masses, and how many PC style games do see on X-Box? How many DECENT games do you even see? And before a single one of you says "HALO!" name another - and Halo sucks (it is a bland and unoriginal first person shooter, Time Splitters 2 is way better.) I ask that question of everyone who tells me X-box rules, and I have never gotten a response. Whenever someone tells me they want an X-box, I ask them why, and once again I have never recieved a response other than "cause its cool."

Im proud of some of the features Sonic Team has added to the X-box version, voice chat would be very useful in battle (where you dont really have time to type out a message) and the USB adapter is nice (something the GC still truly lacks). But the game is still the same, enjoy it, and if more people discover it (since there is nothing else to play http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) fantastic, Sega could really use the support right about now. But despite these "incredible" (obvious) improvements, I still have no desire to get an X-box. It just doesnt have the exclusive content it needs to truly be worth owning.

On a side note, there are 2 psychological reasons I hate the X-box: 1. For 6 Months before the system even came out I had to listen to every hillbilly and their cousin tell how the X-box was going to kick ass, which I have yet to see and 2. the vast majority of a**holes who come into my store, own an X-box. Coincidence?

If you enjoy/hate/despise/love/are obsessed with/would like to make love to the X-box, good for you. For the sake of all our sanity, can we please not talk about this crap, its what destroys our online experience and tears the gaming community apart.

Now as I leave shaking in my rage, know this: Everyone has their own preferences, keep them to your god-d**n self and stop all the hating, PSO is all about love people. Mag Love.

*One last thought: Danderdag, are you on crack? Or do you just hate quality games and have poor taste?

Tulathis
Apr 26, 2003, 01:27 AM
1. Yes they are. But how much shorter are they?
2. More memory capacity is better, but it comes at the cost of being easier to hack...
3. But I like PSO, not those other games...
4. Take a poll PS2 controller would win, I just mentioned the controller issue because it is a reason I don't like XBox and one of the XBox fans said they have a better controller.
5. But having a choice of dial up or broadband is much better than being forced into one of them.
6. Not if you don't/can't get broadband. It is hard to play online games... if you can't connect to them.
7. How much better graphics? Unless you are actually LOOKING for the difference you can't tell.
8. If you have 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, which most people don't. I bet you can't tell the difference with stereo. I also heard that they changed the sounds some things made, like meseta... for the worse.
9. To play PSOX I'd have to spend over $300.... that ain't cheap.
10. What options?
11. After a week PSOX has been hacked, you can buy rares from the shops and they have easter eggs, jack o'lanterns, and christmas presents... The XBox is too easy to hack.

1. Noticeable.
2. I don't understand how. Perhaps you could expand on that.
3. Fine. Besides the fact that you probably haven't played all of them, there are plenty of people out there who do like them. In addition, there are more coming out every month.
4. That's because more people have a PS2. Personally I like the PS2 controller a lot. I think each of the three systems' controllers has a game genre that it is best for.
5. Agreed. For those with the capacity for either broadband it the clear choice for online gaming. It allows for more options in the games as well as less lag issues. I'm happy that one of the systems allows for dial up use, but in a mixed enviornment of dial-ups and wideband users the widebands are hampered by the limitations of the narrowbands. PSO will in all probability be one of the last console games where this is even practical. I know that's not a popular opinion, but only because people don't want to acknowledge it, not because it isn't accurate.
6. Still, you have to agree that given a choice almost everyone would go with broadband.
7. Not all that much better, but still better.
8. Right, all I'm saying is that the possibility is there. You have to really be into the sound to have that setup in the first place. But those who have it would naturally want to take advantage of it. As for the meseta thing, it's really not that much of a change. It's beneficial to lower level characters, especially forces, that really could use the cash. For higher level characters it doesn't matter too much at all.
9. How much would it be to play PSOGC if you didn't have anything to start with?
10. Communication options is what I was refering to.
11. There are more cheaters on PSOGC than there are on XBOX, even in terms of percentage. I'd say they are both about equal in terms of difficulty to hack and dupe. I'd also say the XBOX has taken better measures to deal with the inevitablility of being hacked.

IceBlink
Apr 26, 2003, 02:05 AM
Taking it back to PSO, I would prefer the gamecube version with the Xbox version.

The sole reason is the ability to play with other people. Xbox players cannot play with other countries. Wasn't that a BIG part of the first PSO which started the hype? To play effortlessly with Japanese and EU players?

If I was to get Xbox PSO, there would be NO way of playing with players from Japan, which is something I do on a regular basis due to the majority of rude US players (sure, JP players can be rude occasionally, but they're not a ass about it)...

Ah well. I'm staying put on the GC version. ^_^

Tulathis
Apr 26, 2003, 02:26 AM
I would prefer the gamecube version with the Xbox version.
With? Did you mean to say over?

I'm not saying I don't love PSOGC. I've been playing it for months straight. And I understand that the compatability issue is entirely different if you live outside the US. I've had some of my best PSO experiences playing with Germans in C-mode. If it were possible for PSOX players to play with those in other countries I would say they should do it, especially in the case of US and European players. That being said, it could cause problems and frustrations for players not multilingual. PSO is about cooperation and communication, without those you might as well be playing with a bunch of NPCs.

Danderdag
Apr 26, 2003, 03:43 AM
I don't know anyone who was 'sold' on PSO originally because you could play with foreigners. I mean while the multilingual chat system was and is pretty nifty, it's really far too limited. you might as well be talking to a computer program.
I feel that if anyone is hampered it's probably EU players since they've already got more limited numbers and are divided further by language barriers, it would be nice if you could speak english as a european player, to be able to go to the US servers and have greater options. Honestly from a US perspective though, there's no compelling reason to play with people from other countries other than to claim that you do. IE some people think it makes them 'cooler' to play with japanese people, whether it does is debatable, but they're going to defend that to the death.

BOmar
Apr 26, 2003, 08:46 AM
http://www.ernestcline.com/scripts/fanboys/sposter.jpg

I play PSOGC and love it. I am sure the Xbox version is great with voice chat and superior graphics, but I can only afford dial-up at the moment so would be unable to play online on Xbox. I don't hate Xbox, but the wonderfully clever fanboys of it infuriate with me when they try to belittle owners of other consoles because they are such stupid/poor/uneducated kiddies/fanboys/fools.

You guys just need to accept that people won't all flock to the most powerful console. It is pointless trying to change there opinions by posting on a message board, just as it would be to try tell someone their taste in music was foolish and they should listen to your favourite because you say so.

As people have already pointed out, this site is all about PSO, so stop the hate and just remember why we are all here. I am happy that PSOX is doing well, just as I am that it is doing good on GC. The more people playing PSO, the better.

Oh, and Hi everyone! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Quite a long first post there http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Danderdag
Apr 26, 2003, 04:31 PM
I don't hate Xbox, but the wonderfully clever fanboys of it infuriate with me when they try to belittle owners of other consoles because they are such stupid/poor/uneducated kiddies/fanboys/fools.

While there are plenty of stupid Xbox fanboys, I think it's safe to say the majority of fanboys in general, and here at PSO world, are anti-Xbox.
This pisses me off to no end, so I usually end up defending Xbox, which in turn makes me look like a fanboy to the other fanboys. Make no mistake, I really don't care what system you play games on, just don't try and talk smack about that which you have no experience with.

saffaya
Apr 26, 2003, 05:05 PM
On 2003-04-25 23:16, Chris22783 wrote:
and Halo sucks (it is a bland and unoriginal first person shooter,

Gee, people like you spewing such crap never fail to crack me up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Since you're at it, you could add that StarCraft and Half-life were bland and unoriginal games too.

PlatinumGame
Apr 26, 2003, 05:10 PM
Hi, Symtex. As you see, PSOW is riddled with idiocy. You encouraged it, when you made this topic. A mod should close this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PlatinumGame on 2003-04-26 15:10 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Apr 26, 2003, 06:30 PM
Seriously, it's the same game, no matter what system you play it on. Who cares what system the game is played on?

If you can't enjoy the PSO community here, which consists of those who play it on DC, PC, GC and X-box, then by all means, leave.

If you hate a system, thats fine, you're allowed to dislike anything, but don't slam it into the ground to the extent of being rude and ignorant.

Enjoy this community because we all play PSO, no matter what system it's on.

Keep your issues at the door.

And I'm going to lock this, because it just keeps going off-topic and it's no use letting it break into flame wars. =