PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok Online Again

Vigil
Apr 24, 2003, 08:44 PM
Woooooo, RO is coming back to beta, and will be free again.

If you dont believe me go here: http://enweb.ragnarok.co.kr/

See, told you so http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

~Talila

Orange_Coconut
Apr 24, 2003, 08:53 PM
^_^V

Yay!

Para
Apr 24, 2003, 09:06 PM
gravity better smarten up and make it closed beta after a week of open registration or they will face the same problem as before

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Apr 24, 2003, 09:25 PM
Open beta = extremely bad idea.

More hacks, bots, cheaters and jerks.. just like in the other open betas. >_<

CajunSamurai
Apr 24, 2003, 11:04 PM
Is this game anything like Nexus TK? I tried that game for a few nights and have since concluded that it's one of the worst games I've ever played. I really dislike MMORPGs in general, but that one was just so much worse than any other MMORPG I've ever played. RETCH!!!

Er, anyway. I've been interesting in RO for a while now, but last time I was going to pursue checking it out it was all closed. Boo!
Definitely seems popular though, but... then, so is EQ and NexusTK. I guess what I'm asking is, does it have ANY decent gameplay elements at all?

pixelate
Apr 24, 2003, 11:29 PM
On 2003-04-24 21:04, CajunSamurai wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is, does it have ANY decent gameplay elements at all?

Does lots of clicking count?

Kent
Apr 25, 2003, 01:47 AM
On 2003-04-24 21:29, pixelate wrote:

Not in this case.

KodiaX987
Apr 25, 2003, 09:00 AM
I could care less about gameplay. Hell, it was addictive. The only problem was that the populace was spread along this way:

-1% normal people.
-39% scammers (You can't believe how much cash you can make from scamming n00bs)
-42% hackers/dupers/botters (I'm not kidding. People ran bots that fought for them.)
-18% Thais (Don't know what I mean? Wait until you run into one)

Omni-SqwirL
Apr 25, 2003, 10:00 AM
Is this game anything like Nexus TK? I tried that game for a few nights and have since concluded that it's one of the worst games I've ever played. I really dislike MMORPGs in general, but that one was just so much worse than any other MMORPG I've ever played. RETCH!!!

Er, anyway. I've been interesting in RO for a while now, but last time I was going to pursue checking it out it was all closed. Boo!
Definitely seems popular though, but... then, so is EQ and NexusTK. I guess what I'm asking is, does it have ANY decent gameplay elements at all?

Nexus is definately the worst game ever, thank you for pointing that out.

Anyways...I may play RO, depends on if I get my cable modem.......doh!

CajunSamurai
Apr 25, 2003, 11:28 AM
Yeah... I don't think I'll be playing any MMORPGs anytime soon. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_hamster.gif
Still curious what the gameplay is like, though.

Skuld_0
Apr 25, 2003, 11:32 AM
i played nexustk for about 4 months, and it wasn't bad if you had friends on it and you got plast level 50.... RO, is the bomb...ever sionce ive played it i can't even get back into pso as much as i had been...it sweet.

2Xtreme
Apr 25, 2003, 11:33 AM
On 2003-04-24 21:29, pixelate wrote:

Ah, gotta love PC games!

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Apr 25, 2003, 12:53 PM
RO is fun. I've been playing it since the last Alpha stage from a few years ago.

It's 2D sprites on 3D maps. The graphics are done in an anime'ish style, and range from cute (most of the early levels, where enemies range from cute pink blobs to a vicious fried egg) to evil (bloody demonic knights, deranged men who look like they are on a S&M kick, and the ever lovable Baphomet).

Everybody starts as a weak Novice character, and after some training, can change to 6 different classes (Swordsman, Thief, Archer, Merchant, Mage, and Acolyte) and can change to upgraded classes later on after reaching a certain plateau in job points.

I love the graphics and music in the game.. the gameplay itself is fun (if you deride it because it's "point and click", isn't that what you are basically doing in other RPGs?), and you meet some nice (and some very NOT nice) people along the way.

A problem with the game is that there really are no quests in the game, so most of your time is spent leveling up, hunting for rares, and talking to people (hey, like PSO! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif). So if having no real story bugs you, then this game isn't for you.

Another problem is lag. Back in the first closed beta a few months ago, the lag was virtually nonexistant, and the game was pretty smooth. It picked up in the second closed beta and ended up being pretty bad by the time the server closed a few weeks ago.

The biggest problem is the company behind the game. Gravity always gives this air of not really caring about the "International" version of the game, and we always seem like the red headed stepchild. >_<
We only have one overworked GM, and she takes a lot of abuse from the idiot players in the game. T-T
If the company behind the game actually shaped up, the game itself would be much more enjoyable.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/9230/
This is a link to a character simulator, so you can see what kinds of characters you can eventually make. Most of the headgear in the game must be found though, so don't think you can just start with kitty ears. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

KodiaX987
Apr 25, 2003, 01:18 PM
On 2003-04-25 10:53, Tsukishima-Ruriko wrote:
The biggest problem is the company behind the game. Gravity always gives this air of not really caring about the "International" version of the game, and we always seem like the red headed stepchild. >_<
We only have one overworked GM, and she takes a lot of abuse from the idiot players in the game. T-T
If the company behind the game actually shaped up, the game itself would be much more enjoyable.

Take note though that the game was aimed at the Korean people in the first place and that the American version was a test to see if we'd like it here.

But yeah, the GM's life has been hell since the creation of the game. She's the only GM I know who actually registers on fan forums and posts from time to time. She once came close to resinging from her job because of the l4m3r pressure.

Vigil
Apr 27, 2003, 10:54 PM
Update on the website, Registration doesnt start until wendsday http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

*pouts*

I WANT RO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

*tear*

~Talila

Dangerous55
Apr 27, 2003, 11:01 PM
Is that game ver actually gonna be released?

LunarShadowX
Apr 27, 2003, 11:47 PM
RO is good, but there's the unfortunate problem that it is ridiculously easy to "hack" or "cheat" in the game. And making people pay, as in Closed Beta, does not deter the grand majority of botters. Believe me, I know, I co-ran a site called Revemu, which I only quit from about 2 weeks ago, even though I haven't played or interacted with the RO servers in any way since roughly late August of last year. Personally though, after being involved in that "scene" of that game, I no longer have any interest of cheating in an online game. To say it kills the fun and makes it utterly pointless is an extreme understatement.

Anyways, in my opinion, RO just cannot compare to PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LunarShadowX on 2003-04-27 21:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LunarShadowX on 2003-04-27 21:49 ]</font>