PDA

View Full Version : Item: Idea for stopping dupers.

Xion810
Apr 25, 2003, 04:04 PM
If/when Sega comes out with a new version of PSO, they should have this: Everybody registers their item with Sega so any dupe (i.e. if somebody duped that BKB 199 times, there would be just that BKB dupe) would not be traced. BUT! each item gets a code embedded in it. It may be a block or two bigger, but there is no way to get at this code. This special code says "This weapon is this weapon, found by so-and-so" and a specific ID of it. So, if I find a Varista, It would be like "This weapon is a Varista, found by Xion, 98773564" and I find another Varista it would be the same thing, but the ID would be changed. So if there are two or more of a certain ID, it would record who found it but retain the ID.

Complex, but would work. This also works in giveaways, but I think that you'd have to do something like "so-and-so dropped weapon, picked up by so-and-so, ID" so dupers could be found easier since this too would be working so like I duped a Mahu, it would say "Xion dropped Mahu, picked up by Xion, 716647839" and I have another with same ID, it'd be a dupe. So in other words dupes could be found easier. ID's are linked to each item.

Good idea? Post comments/ideas here.

Ryo_Hayasa
Apr 25, 2003, 09:13 PM
you know what thats is a great idea assigning IDs for items found, how about this, the item you get is the same ID as that of you Guild card, so then if the item was dupped you'd get banned directly, of course then situatuions liek this would oucur:

i let my friend borrow my Yasha, next thing i know i find out my yasha is being dupped and now i'm banned.

it's good idea in essance. a few kinks to work out but very good at that. this reminds me of, Pokemon, *turning out now...* each monster you got was assigned your ID that you got at the start of the game etc etc etc...

brillyfresh
Apr 25, 2003, 09:29 PM
On 2003-04-25 19:13, Ryo_Hayasa wrote:
you know what thats is a great idea assigning IDs for items found, how about this, the item you get is the same ID as that of you Guild card, so then if the item was dupped you'd get banned directly, of course then situatuions liek this would oucur:

i let my friend borrow my Yasha, next thing i know i find out my yasha is being dupped and now i'm banned.

good idea but .... if you ever traded that item with your ID on it, it wouldn't match the ID of whoever you traded it to, and they would be banned ... and tracking all online trades to change the ID to that of the recipient would be a tremendous load on the servers at this time

good idea though

raiden999
Apr 25, 2003, 10:23 PM
How about every time you drop an item (offline too) or unequip something, the game saves... may cause some problems down the road, but it seems to be the only logical way to stop duping.

Guile
Apr 25, 2003, 10:37 PM
But why would we want to get rid of duping?!?

BeatZero
Apr 25, 2003, 10:37 PM
On 2003-04-25 20:23, raiden999 wrote:
How about every time you drop an item (offline too) or unequip something, the game saves... may cause some problems down the road, but it seems to be the only logical way to stop duping.

since most duping isnt done by dropping items this wouldnt solve much.

raiden999
Apr 25, 2003, 10:47 PM
On 2003-04-25 20:37, BeatZero wrote:

On 2003-04-25 20:23, raiden999 wrote:

since most duping isnt done by dropping items this wouldnt solve much.

other than ar codes and what not, tis the only dupe methods i've seen, but hey, why would I spend all my time looking for a dupe method?

FreakinRican
Apr 26, 2003, 10:44 AM
Plain and simple. When item is found/created it gets a 6 digit number. Last two digits are the same as your guild cards last two digits. If the same ID number is on a weapon else where in the game, one of the dupes are deleted automatically. This was done in Diablo 1.

Kryslin
Apr 26, 2003, 09:47 PM
Yes, unique ID's are the way to stop rares and such from being mass duped.

The simplest unique ID is the contents of the random number generator that caused the drop to happen; Most of the good pseudo-random number generators are 64 bits wide, giving you 2^64 possibilities. Add an 8 byte time stamp to that, and you have 2^128 possible combinations. You'll need an extra 2 bytes, one to ID the kind of item (normal items, rare items, mag) and the other for grind/stack. 18 bytes compared to the current 16 - an additional 13% more storage required.

On load, the game does a fast and simple check of the ID bytes on rares, and deletes any duplicates in inventory. Hacked Mags would be a bit harder to track, but with a little effort, it could be done. There are certain rules that apply to every mag type that each mag could be checked against... The hacked Sato that is going around would fail a simple check (halve all the stats, then check to see if the various pairs equal each other)

Of course, Sonic Team can't/refuses to fix the problems in PSO. Part of it is the nature of the game itself (unpatchable code on console vs. patchable code on PC), and part of it, I think, has to do with the simple and naive programming behind the game, both in the client and server software (There is no backface removal in the 3D engine, for instance).

Perhaps, someone should start an Open Source PSO clone project, so all these niggling problems can get fixed...

I've ranted long enough...

Kryslin

Reenee
Apr 26, 2003, 09:50 PM
Sounds great. I wonder if we can get this out to Sonic Team.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Apr 27, 2003, 04:55 AM
With unique ids alone, we'd just make cheated items with our own custom IDs ;3
Would need to be synced with a server, which isn't fun to manage or pay for :3

Kryslin
Apr 27, 2003, 12:42 PM
The ID is the actual number that generates the item; It is the random number that causes the item to appear in the first place. You change the ID, you change the item. The timestamp is there to make things more confusing, especially if you scramble all the bits together. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You could even encrypt it, using the game's CD-Key.

This would make duping items rather difficult. There is a slight (very slight - 1 in 2^64 chance; I had this happen in Diablo I; The same unique dropped -twice- in the same game, and both were deleted) that the game will generate the same ID; The time stamp is there to keep this possibility to the absolute minimum, and is changed everytime the item's data is changed, namely grind.

I seriously doubt Sonic Team will do anything to fix the current problems in PSO, until AR codes hit the masses, and cheating runs out of control on the servers. In which case, they'll probably just close things down...

Steve

zimmk2vgc
Apr 27, 2003, 03:03 PM
Surely some codes that have been altered because of AR pass through the servers. Why not pick up on this? Perhaps we can find the ship of ARs and hijack it! Throw them all over board! PSOMA UK saving PSO online!