PDA

View Full Version : Episode 4 Story Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

loafhero
Feb 10, 2017, 05:37 AM
Yearning for early game's plot and characters is pure nostalgia. Misplaced, delusional nostalgia.

Yeaaaah, because in a game I've only had 2 years of experience in, apparently wanting a story structure opting for self-contained but inter-connected stories that doesn't put too much focus on just one set of characters and wanting the old Episodes worlds and characters to not be completely ignored and actually expanded upon is delusional nostalgia. Fuck us for wanting consistency and decent continuity!

It TOTALLY has nothing to do with EP4's bad writing and characters being bad even by PSO2 standards nor has it anything to do with a desire for a darker tone from the last Episodes complete with actually competent/threatening villains.

... Look, the bottom line is that as bad as EP1 to 3 was at times, it wasn't nearly as bad as EP4. I've already said my piece as to why EP4 has so far been worse than anything EP1 to 3 ever had.

Meteor Weapon
Feb 10, 2017, 11:14 AM
For anyone who takes story telling seriously, EP4 focuses way too much on a single setting/plot along with bad writing/characters and almost completely ignored whatever is going on in Oracle, something which EP1-3 had never done. I also seriously hate the way they do clinghangers in EP4, can I just get a package of a chapter like they did in Ep1-3 instead of putting small bits of scene similar to a fucking multi DLC just for a new scene? It's dumb.

For two whole years our character has gone cyrosleep, there was no development over what's going on Harukotan, Amduscia, Vopar, Lilipa and Naberius. It's the same shit as what's going on EP3 other than the introduction of Summoner, change in hierarchy and introduction of Hi-Cast Xiera series. The entirety of EP1-3 took 1 year and half something in-game time, discovering the existence of PD in a very short amount of time. During our character's cyrosleep 2 years have passed and nothing has really changed for us. This is what I call a timeskip badly done. Do they really need our characters so bad to just further move the development of a planet's story? If they showed us more of serious stuff going on the Oracle side then I wouldn't have minded much, it's something for me to get distracted from Earth.

TehCubey
Feb 10, 2017, 11:58 AM
Sega ever cared about developing PSO2's setting? News to me. The fact that Lilipa and Amduscia were discovered a long time ago and yet no one did anything on them, not even discover the dragonkin language or lilipans' existence until Aki and Fourier appeared with the player character in tow - it shows that this game doesn't have a real setting to speak of. It has a collection of set pieces to serve as background for whatever plot is happening at the moment. As soon as plot takes them elsewhere, they might as well not exist.

And once again, this is not introduced in ep 4. It has been like this since the beginning.

Altiea
Feb 10, 2017, 03:35 PM
I always assumed the lilipans were originally from Naberious, because it's mentioned that they're not actually native to Lilipa at one point.

Damn it Sega, not only do you never explain some of the ruins on Naberius (implied that non-Photoner civilization was there at some point), but you never elaborate on where the Lilipans came from!

Should I get the book out again?

Zysets
Feb 10, 2017, 04:40 PM

Does it say anything about that? That would be neat.

loafhero
Feb 10, 2017, 10:48 PM

Sure, why not?

blkbox11
Feb 11, 2017, 12:25 AM
Yeaaaah, because in a game I've only had 2 years of experience in, apparently wanting a story structure opting for self-contained but inter-connected stories that doesn't put too much focus on just one set of characters and wanting the old Episodes worlds and characters to not be completely ignored and actually expanded upon is delusional nostalgia. Fuck us for wanting consistency and decent continuity!

It TOTALLY has nothing to do with EP4's bad writing and characters being bad even by PSO2 standards nor has it anything to do with a desire for a darker tone from the last Episodes complete with actually competent/threatening villains.

... Look, the bottom line is that as bad as EP1 to 3 was at times, it wasn't nearly as bad as EP4. I've already said my piece as to why EP4 has so far been worse than anything EP1 to 3 ever had.

I'll disagree. To me, EP4's lighter tone was actually a relief after EP 1~3, but most importantly: the fact that our character finally gets seen as a badass to be feared by the villains is great.

Earlier on, other friendly characters were usually stronger than you and the more prominent ones (Zeno and the Council) almost always stole the credit for things you did. Maybe some players enjoy the thought of just being another, albeit special gear in the works that always fights an uphill battle against smug supervillains, but I prefer the style of something like Ace Combat or early Armored Core when it comes to stories with faceless protags.

Back to the thing about the darker tone - it is also very subjective. I have a feeling most people who are upset about it are more displeased with the Earth highschool setting than the actual tone of the story though. If there were no highschool involvement, and Hitsugi started out as just an ARKS civilian studying in a college on an ARKS ship, there may be less complaints, even if the story was not as dark.

That being said, I do think you're expecting way too much from SEGA on this. They aren't writing the story for westerners.

Altiea
Feb 11, 2017, 01:38 AM
Looks like I'm back at it with the snapshots.

Since you mentioned the Ruins, here's an image of that giant spire you always see in the background. It'd help if we could get someone got translate the notes.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/JZ8IbE2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Now, the book doesn't say much about the Lillipans aside from their unusual proficiency with advanced technology. However, it does say that the Lillipans were probably brought in by someone who created the ancient Lillipanian civilization.

Oh, and just because, here's concept art for an unused Elder Lillipan idea.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/enMQJpU.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Zysets
Feb 11, 2017, 02:36 AM
Lilipans were almost both Yoda AND Ewoks

I actually love the Elder Lilipan, it reminds me of Jijimon from Digimon.

loafhero
Feb 11, 2017, 04:18 AM
the fact that our character finally gets seen as a badass to be feared by the villains is great.

Its done terribly. I too like the idea that the Player is acknowledged as powerful but EP4 takes it to such obnoxious degrees that I've gotten sick and tired of hearing the NPCs praise my character's power. Its now a sickening use of "Tell, Don't Show" in regards to our character's power.

Lets look back MB 2-5. We first see Matoi having single-handedly kill a Dark Vibrace, showing how powerful she is to have done so. In the final half, our character, who rarely ever fights alone until now, fights off an onslaught of Darkers to get to Matoi and eventually kills a Dark Vibrace on their own too. To top it off, our character finally has an evenly matched one-on-one duel with Persona of whom the Player previously had to either run away from or require backup and this is all done with a decently animated fight scene actually showing our character locking blades with Persona. So, instead of going "Oh, [Player]! You're so strong and fearsome!" like how EP4 LOVES to do all the time, we see for ourselves how powerful the Player is on his/her own.

I'm not saying that EP2 was a masterpiece of story telling but it at least did some things right better than EP4 does and made decent use of "Show, Don't Tell".

If there were no highschool involvement, and Hitsugi started out as just an ARKS civilian studying in a college on an ARKS ship, there may be less complaints, even if the story was not as dark.

No, because there's still the problem of Hitsugi herself as a character. Yeah, I'm willing to admit that I would have preferred that Hitsugi be a student at the ARKS Academy but if she's still the same character as she is in EP4, I'd still be criticising the crap out of her. You can change the layer of frosting on the cake but when the cake still takes like shit, you're just delaying the inevitable disappointment and disgust.

That being said, I do think you're expecting way too much from SEGA on this. They aren't writing the story for westerners.

How am I expecting too much when all I'm expecting from the Story is to not be worse than EP1 to 3? Being as decent or slightly better than the last Episodes Stories is NOT a high expectation.

I watch a lot of anime and manga, both of which are clearly designed with their Japanese audience tastes in mind yet the ones I really liked are great because their not trying to appeal to Western tastes. EP4's story is not bad because its not written for Westerners. Its just bad in general. I'd never ask for PSO2 to be more Western oriented.

For crying out loud, not even the Japanese players like Hitsugi judging from how she's not even in the Top 10 favourite female characters of EP4 (as of the current mid-term voting results).

Meteor Weapon
Feb 11, 2017, 05:58 AM

Actually Elder Lilipan actually do exist in the game in E-Code Gesture. He just rarely shows up, so it might be a rare code. Last I saw him was 3 years ago. I'll try upload an image of him once I get home.

Altiea
Feb 11, 2017, 06:01 AM
Actually Elder Lilipan actually do exist in the game in E-Code Gesture. He just rarely shows up, so it might be a rare code. Last I saw him was 3 years ago. I'll try upload an image of him once I get home.

That explains why no one ever sees him.

ZerotakerZX
Feb 11, 2017, 06:03 AM
Actually Elder Lilipan actually do exist in the game in E-Code Gesture. He just rarely shows up, so it might be a rare code. Last I saw him was 3 years ago. I'll try upload an image of him once I get home.sounds awesome, pls do!

loafhero
Feb 11, 2017, 06:24 AM
Looks like I'm back at it with the snapshots.

Since you mentioned the Ruins, here's an image of that giant spire you always see in the background. It'd help if we could get someone got translate the notes.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/JZ8IbE2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Now, the book doesn't say much about the Lillipans aside from their unusual proficiency with advanced technology. However, it does say that the Lillipans were probably brought in by someone who created the ancient Lillipanian civilization.

I now demand Kung Fu Lilipan!

blkbox11
Feb 11, 2017, 07:44 AM
Its done terribly. I too like the idea that the Player is acknowledged as powerful but EP4 takes it to such obnoxious degrees that I've gotten sick and tired of hearing the NPCs praise my character's power. Its now a sickening use of "Tell, Don't Show" in regards to our character's power.

We'll have to disagree again. For me, 'Show, Don't Tell' actually doesn't work as well in a game. For instance, let's say I can solo Loser repeatedly, but if the NPCs don't acknowledge it and just have a Council member mop things up for me, it sort of feels empty at the end of the day.

The games I mentioned before, Ace Combat and Armored Core, both play this straight and put you up as a near unstoppable badass from the beginning. As a result of 'Telling' you this as you play, you feel like your efforts in the game are more rewarded. 'Telling' is a powerful tool, and I don't think they've overused it at all in EP 4 given how much our character has gone through.

What I'll admit is that there weren't enough moments where our character was really being badass on their own in EP4, but it's not like there were none. The one I remember the most is against Phaleg: that acknowledgement from a strong villain character (more than once) actually meant more to me than killing the Vibrace or clashing blades with Persona.

No, because there's still the problem of Hitsugi herself as a character. Yeah, I'm willing to admit that I would have preferred that Hitsugi be a student at the ARKS Academy but if she's still the same character as she is in EP4, I'd still be criticising the crap out of her. You can change the layer of frosting on the cake but when the cake still takes like shit, you're just delaying the inevitable disappointment and disgust.

What exactly was your problem with her? Given how passionately you mention her in your posts, she appears to be the biggest eyesore for you. I know she isn't a perfect character, but I personally prefer her over some of the others we got in earlier Episodes such as Echo, Zeno, Maria and Regius - the latter three's existence for a while was just 'being stronger than the protagonist, because'.

The biggest problem I see in Hitsugi is that her developments have been very cliche, but for others I spoke to with views similar to yours, the the issue that deterred them from EP 4 was the highschool student/slice-of-life part, as well as yuri involvement with Kohri.

How am I expecting too much when all I'm expecting from the Story is to not be worse than EP1 to 3? Being as decent or slightly better than the last Episodes Stories is NOT a high expectation.

I watch a lot of anime and manga, both of which are clearly designed with their Japanese audience tastes in mind yet the ones I really liked are great because their not trying to appeal to Western tastes. EP4's story is not bad because its not written for Westerners. Its just bad in general. I'd never ask for PSO2 to be more Western oriented.

For crying out loud, not even the Japanese players like Hitsugi judging from how she's not even in the Top 10 favourite female characters of EP4 (as of the current mid-term voting results).

It is too much, mostly because you want the same serious, darker tone that was getting somewhat stale, when what SEGA cares about is drawing in new people to prolong the game's lifespan and making money. For that, they'll do whatever it takes, even if it is extreme. Obviously, EP4 and the anime were a two-hit combo meant to reel in new Japanese players who were unfamiliar with PS, but at least knew how regular anime highschools worked. Having the settings of Earth and especially Tokyo to begin with made things easier to relate to, and thus easier to sell.

Also, if I'm not wrong, isn't Mother currently in the lead in that competition? She's definitely from EP4. And I didn't say anything about Hitsugi being a perfect and popular character either.

loafhero
Feb 11, 2017, 09:56 AM
We'll have to disagree again. For me, 'Show, Don't Tell' actually doesn't work as well in a game. For instance, let's say I can solo Loser repeatedly, but if the NPCs don't acknowledge it and just have a Council member mop things up for me, it sort of feels empty at the end of the day.

Yes, it does! Video games ARE the best medium of "Show, Don't Tell" than what can be done in a movie or tv show. Whatever made you think its not? This is not a matter of opinion. Video games, especially an action genre like PSO2, are objectively one of the best mediums of "Show, Don't Tell" as its almost impossible to not make your characters do something cool and productive to progress through the game cause otherwise, its a failure in game design.

"Telling" is not a powerful tool at all without the "Show" part. Without the "Show" part, its all undeserved.

I can acknowledge that not being told you're character is great can feel unrewarding but I'd take doing cool stuff and not being complimented on it any day over being repeatedly told you're this legendary badass without much action to back it up. I feel okay when Phaleg keeps telling us we're great but its empty in the end because we've never seen Phaleg's full power and her overpowering Hitsugi and Enga or killing a Vegas Illusia on her own is not anything special. If you like that, that's fine but the feeling of empowerment when killing a Dark Vibrace solo just like what Matoi did before and then being shown to be strong enough to solo Persona beats being told you're great by some big-breasted milf who is said to be strong.

What exactly was your problem with her? Given how passionately you mention her in your posts, she appears to be the biggest eyesore for you. I know she isn't a perfect character, but I personally prefer her over some of the others we got in earlier Episodes such as Echo, Zeno, Maria and Regius - the latter three's existence for a while was just 'being stronger than the protagonist, because'.

Because she's bland and her "character development" falls flat and this is all coupled by how a lot of screen time is given to her which only does more to highlight just how bland of a character she is. On top of that, she is incredibly stupid (something many users here agree on) despite apparently being told to us that she's a good student in the process of eventually becoming her school's student council president (See? That's another case where "Telling" is not a powerful tool). This has been said a lot by other users in this thread before so how did you not know this?

Echo would have easily been as bad Hitsugi if given the same amount of screen time but as Echo isn't given that, her character is not as bad as Hitsugi for we aren't required to give too much focus on her horrible character.

Also, Maria and Regius being stronger than the Player (back then) was self-explanatory; they are ARKS with over 50 years of experience that have fought in a large scale war in the past that served to give them the experience and resolve to further their strengths. It is an old trope that the old but wise warriors are supposed to be stronger than the student (in this case, the Player). Them being stronger than Player (back then) made perfect sense. Being unhappy about that is just whining and jealousy.

Zeno was not stronger than us by EP2 and 3. In EP1, of course he was because our character just joined ARKS while he was a senior more experienced member at the time. In EP3, in a side cutscene, Maria had no problem fighting both Echo and Zeno but told the Player not to get involved because she did not feel confident with her odds if she had to fight Player.

It is too much, mostly because you want the same serious, darker tone that was getting somewhat stale.

Again, asking for EP4's Story to not be any worse than EP1 to 3 is not asking "too much" because those Episodes aren't hard to be any worse but somehow, EP4 managed to be. I don't recall anyone else ever complaining about the old Episode's darker tone getting stale especially since EP1 to 3 wasn't too dark and serious as it had enough humor and fun to balance it out. In fact, EP1 to 3 wasn't that dark or serious at all. It just is when comparing to EP4 so once again, EP4 making the old Episodes look better.

Also, if I'm not wrong, isn't Mother currently in the lead in that competition? She's definitely from EP4. And I didn't say anything about Hitsugi being a perfect and popular character either.

And? I don't have a problem with Mother or Phaleg being the top 3 because their not THAT bad of characters. Their entertaining enough. I pointed out that Hitsugi not even making it to the top 3 to highlight that my contempt for her character is not just me alone but that even the JP players don't like her that much despite so much focus being given to her. Also, to point out that my dislike of EP4's Story has nothing to do with it being catered to a Japanese audience which was a bullshit assumption.

blkbox11
Feb 11, 2017, 10:50 AM
Yes, it does! Video games ARE the best medium of "Show, Don't Tell" than what can be done in a movie or tv show. Whatever made you think its not? This is not a matter of opinion. Video games, especially an action genre like PSO2, are objectively one of the best mediums of "Show, Don't Tell" as its almost impossible to not make your characters do something cool and productive to progress through the game cause otherwise, its a failure in game design.

"Telling" is not a powerful tool at all without the "Show" part. Without the "Show" part, its all undeserved.

I can acknowledge that not being told you're character is great can feel unrewarding but I'd take doing cool stuff and not being complimented on it any day over being repeatedly told you're this legendary badass without much action to back it up. I feel okay when Phaleg keeps telling us we're great but its empty in the end because we've never seen Phaleg's full power and her overpowering Hitsugi and Enga or killing a Vegas Illusia on her own is not anything special. If you like that, that's fine but the feeling of empowerment when killing a Dark Vibrace solo just like what Matoi did before and then being shown to be strong enough to solo Persona beats being told you're great by some big-breasted milf who is said to be strong.

It is a matter of opinion, regardless of how you try to slice it. And it looks like you didn't even consider that example properly, which was meant to demonstrate how bad 'Show, don't Tell' can really end up. It creates gameplay-story segregation that ends up becoming more like trying to have your cake and eat it too.

To clarify, I was basically saying the same thing you just said: that gameplay is the 'show' part of it. However, I feel the early Episodes just didn't give enough 'Tell' to acknowledge our capability and potential, up until around Episode 3. Hence my point being that showing, without telling, is as empty as the other way around.

Yes, I know that was when the character was still growing. But by mid or end of EP2, I think we've already done a number of things that warrant some more credit.

Because she's bland and her "character development" falls flat and this is all coupled by how a lot of screen time is given to her which only does more to highlight just how bland of a character she is. On top of that, she is incredibly stupid (something many users here agree on) despite apparently being told to us that she's a good student in the process of eventually becoming her school's student council president (See? That's another case where "Telling" is not a powerful tool). This has been said a lot by other users in this thread before so how did you not know this?

Echo would have easily been as bad Hitsugi if given the same amount of screen time but as Echo isn't given that, her character is not as bad as Hitsugi for we aren't required to give too much focus on her horrible character.

Also, Maria and Regius being stronger than the Player (back then) was self-explanatory; they are ARKS with over 50 years of experience that have fought in a large scale war in the past that served to give them the experience and resolve to further their strengths. It is an old trope that the old but wise warriors are supposed to be stronger than the student (in this case, the Player). Them being stronger than Player (back then) made perfect sense. Being unhappy about that is just whining and jealousy.

Zeno was not stronger than us by EP2 and 3. In EP1, of course he was because our character just joined ARKS while he was a senior more experienced member at the time. In EP3, in a side cutscene, Maria had no problem fighting both Echo and Zeno but told the Player not to get involved because she did not feel confident with her odds if she had to fight Player.

I can understand being hateful because you're being forced to go through a story focused on a character you don't like, on a setting you're already against. Your case seems to be something along the lines of, 'the more you see something you dislike, the more annoyed you are by it'. I didn't get the impression that Hitsugi was more dumb than any average shonen manga/anime protagonist, but as I mentioned before, her developments are very cliche.

That being said, my issue wasn't that those characters (especially Regius and Maria) were stronger than you, but that being stronger was mostly all there was to them. There were far too many of those characters in the early PSO2 Episodes, when even Zeno alone was enough to drive the 'senior' role. On that note, Casra and Quna were the more interesting of the council, and so they are still in EP4. I'm completely fine with that.

Again, asking for EP4's Story to not be any worse than EP1 to 3 is not asking "too much" because those Episodes aren't hard to be any worse but somehow, EP4 managed to be. I don't recall anyone else ever complaining about the old Episode's darker tone getting stale especially since EP1 to 3 wasn't too dark and serious as it had enough humor and fun to balance it out. In fact, EP1 to 3 wasn't that dark or serious at all. It just is when comparing to EP4 so once again, EP4 making the old Episodes look better.

Those are definitely your opinions. And if we're going that way, I didn't particularly enjoy everyone suddenly riding the Matoi sympathy boat near the end of EP 3. I mean, even LISA getting blue eye sadness mode? That was silly. Zeno becoming a council member before the PC was ever considered? That was pretty bullshit too.

On the other hand, I found EP4 to be a breath of fresh air. There are many other people who enjoyed it for how crazy it was as well.

And? I don't have a problem with Mother or Phaleg being the top 3 because their not THAT bad of characters. Their entertaining enough. I pointed out that Hitsugi not even making it to the top 3 to highlight that my contempt for her character is not just me alone but that even the JP players don't like her that much despite so much focus being given to her. Also, to point out that my dislike of EP4's Story has nothing to do with it being catered to a Japanese audience which was a bullshit assumption.

I don't see how Hitsugi has anything to do with that assumption. I admit I may have jumped the gun, but consider that a number of recent anime/manga to have made it big in the States are dark and serious types: Attack on Titan, Kabaneri, and Akame Ga Kill, to name a few.

Combine this with how extreme some of pso-w's early reactions to EP4 were, and you can probably see what I'm getting at.

Altiea
Feb 11, 2017, 11:19 AM
... Are we playing a game of "Your opinion sucks and mine's better"? Cause it sounds like it.

blkbox11
Feb 11, 2017, 11:54 AM
... Are we playing a game of "Your opinion sucks and mine's better"? Cause it sounds like it.

You got me.

Meteor Weapon
Feb 11, 2017, 12:20 PM
On the other hand, I found EP4 to be a breath of fresh air. There are many other people who enjoyed it for how crazy it was as well.

I don't see how Hitsugi has anything to do with that assumption. I admit I may have jumped the gun, but consider that a number of recent anime/manga to have made it big in the States are dark and serious types: Attack on Titan, Kabaneri, and Akame Ga Kill, to name a few.

Combine this with how extreme some of pso-w's early reactions to EP4 were, and you can probably see what I'm getting at.

Opinion wise, I don't really enjoy being stuck with EP4 characters, but then again just playing it to see how exactly the end will be. To be perfectly honest, I like Xiao better than Xiera. I feel like almost all EP4 characters are obnoxious as hell.

EP4 tried to be dark with character deaths and backstabbing stuff but....tbh...that dark atmosphere they were trying just fell flat with all the vibrant colors and badly written story telling.

blkbox11
Feb 11, 2017, 12:46 PM
Opinion wise, I don't really enjoy being stuck with EP4 characters, but then again just playing it to see how exactly the end will be. To be perfectly honest, I like Xiao better than Xiera. I feel like almost all EP4 are obnoxious as hell.

EP4 tried to be dark with character deaths and backstabbing stuff but....tbh...that dark atmosphere they were trying just fell flat with all the vibrant colors and badly written story telling.

Yeah, I actually don't think it's fair that people who didn't like the concept since they found out about it (Earth, etc.) are stuck in it either. EP4 is definitely not for everyone, and I can see how it triggers the hell out of people.

In my case, since I didn't like EP 1~3 and most of its characters that much in the first place, I didn't have any expectations for EP 4 at all when it came out. That might be the reason why I found it better.

loafhero
Feb 12, 2017, 04:10 AM
It is a matter of opinion, regardless of how you try to slice it. And it looks like you didn't even consider that example properly, which was meant to demonstrate how bad 'Show, don't Tell' can really end up.

Its really not an opinion. "Show, Don't Tell" is the better story telling method over "Tell, Don't Show". Any decent writer will tell you the same thing. The examples you gave me only enforce that fact that "Tell, Don't Show" is a terrible story telling method. If you're happy with a game that sucks your dick from the start without anything done on your part to deserve it, then that's fine.

I didn't get the impression that Hitsugi was more dumb than any average shonen manga/anime protagonist, but as I mentioned before, her developments are very cliche.

You must not read that much manga, then.

Also, its not that Hitsugi's developments are cliche. Its just non-existent. You have her start off as a girl who wants to do what she wants without putting much thought into how and then after waking up from her coma she's.... still a girl who wants to do what she wants without putting much thought into how. Or how about how she starts off as someone who needs to be told all the time not to depend on herself all the time to.... someone who needs to be told all the time not to depend on herself all the time.

Sure, Echo had that problem too but she was never given the same amount of screen time as Hitsugi so we could actually take a break from her.

Those are definitely your opinions.

This is tiring. I could point out the most obvious facts and you'll just go "Ah, la, la, la, la, OPINIONS!" like an annoying tumblr user. EP4 is objectively worse than anything the old Episodes ever did. Why?

[SPOILER-BOX]
Bland characters that are so forgettable, that by the time this Story finally ends, I wouldn't be able to describe any of them by their personality traits (of which they have none). Instead, I'd be describing them as such; Hitsugi as the less hotter and boring version of Azanami, Kohri as the more annoying version of Katori you wished Lisa shot to death by "accident", Enga as a less likable Zeno, and whatever the hell Aru was supposed to be.

"Plot twists" most of us saw coming from a mile away.

Ineffectual villains who are so incompetent that they do more harm to themselves and their own home turf than any kind of harm to the good guys (of which there is none). Their only kill count so far have been their own group members!

The lack of any actual stakes. No matter what happens on Earth, NONE of it bears any consequence on Oracle. The latest chapter even admits that the current problem occurring has NO relation to ARKS at all!

Seemingly tension-worthy moments that gets badly underscored by either the characters moronic reactions (i.e. Hitsugi instantly assuming Enga died from Bethor's bombing without bothering to check for a body, or Aru and Hitsugi being WAY too calm and okay about Aru getting stabbed and absorbed) or treating dark scenes like it was a bad prank/joke (i.e. Hitsugi and Kohri shrugging off Kohri's evil phase like it was a funny moment).

Ass pulls like Player's darker purifying powers conveniently allowing Hitsugi to cut through someone's Aether without harming them or how Kohri's turn to the good side was just like pressing the reset button on her character to make it seem like the entire evil Kohri phase never even happened (thus, Kohri never really undergoing any kind of meaningful character development)

Stupid amount of awkward exposition dumping that don't flow into the main story in a significant way.

Pointless perverted scenes.

Kohri... just Kohri.

[/SPOILER-BOX]

Oh, and don't bother replying to this part. I already know your answer's gonna be "That's your opinion". You've already shown yourself to be incapable of critical thought.

Meteor Weapon
Feb 12, 2017, 04:46 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/7crva.jpg

As much as I agree with you how terrible EP4 is, let people who enjoy EP4 enjoy it. No need to repeatedly tell and shove it down to everyone's throat. I've already given up how EP4 can get better, it's broken beyond repair and there's nothing we can do about it. I'm just seeing it how all this will end, just as Aratron himself described.

BlueCast Boy
Feb 12, 2017, 06:51 AM
Ah i kinda like enga than zeno(enga is x10 more better than zeno but thats my opinion), i like the ep4 story especially when it got deeper but i just hate like how our main character is treated like we are "Ash" persona and being arks like...if only there was an alt story event that our char would be different char or being earthling arks...

blkbox11
Feb 12, 2017, 06:59 AM
Its really not an opinion. "Show, Don't Tell" is the better story telling method over "Tell, Don't Show". Any decent writer will tell you the same thing. The examples you gave me only enforce that fact that "Tell, Don't Show" is a terrible story telling method. If you're happy with a game that sucks your dick from the start without anything done on your part to deserve it, then that's fine.

It is. I wasn't saying anything about 'Tell, Don't Show' either. If you read my previous posts, I'm saying that going full 'Show, Don't Tell' is bad, and that 'Telling' is a powerful tool when used properly, which I believe EP4 has done.

Gameplay alone with little or no acknowledgement in-game is a terrible idea, unless the game has no story in the first place.

You must not read that much manga, then.

Also, its not that Hitsugi's developments are cliche. Its just non-existent. You have her start off as a girl who wants to do what she wants without putting much thought into how and then after waking up from her coma she's.... still a girl who wants to do what she wants without putting much thought into how. Or how about how she starts off as someone who needs to be told all the time not to depend on herself all the time to.... someone who needs to be told all the time not to depend on herself all the time.

Sure, Echo had that problem too but she was never given the same amount of screen time as Hitsugi so we could actually take a break from her.

I dunno, she seemed to think more after that coma. She was actually willing to do what was needed instead of being doubtful of whether she could cut down Kohri (and other enemies) or not. That sounds like average shonen protagonist development to me, and sounded like any other 'will to kill' growth.

Heck, she was even confident enough to console her older brother recently. I don't see the early Hitsugi as being able to do that.

This is tiring. I could point out the most obvious facts and you'll just go "Ah, la, la, la, la, OPINIONS!" like an annoying tumblr user. EP4 is objectively worse than anything the old Episodes ever did. Why?

[SPOILER-BOX]
Bland characters that are so forgettable, that by the time this Story finally ends, I wouldn't be able to describe any of them by their personality traits (of which they have none). Instead, I'd be describing them as such; Hitsugi as the less hotter and boring version of Azanami, Kohri as the more annoying version of Katori you wished Lisa shot to death by "accident", Enga as a less likable Zeno, and whatever the hell Aru was supposed to be.

"Plot twists" most of us saw coming from a mile away.

Ineffectual villains who are so incompetent that they do more harm to themselves and their own home turf than any kind of harm to the good guys (of which there is none). Their only kill count so far have been their own group members!

The lack of any actual stakes. No matter what happens on Earth, NONE of it bears any consequence on Oracle. The latest chapter even admits that the current problem occurring has NO relation to ARKS at all!

Seemingly tension-worthy moments that gets badly underscored by either the characters moronic reactions (i.e. Hitsugi instantly assuming Enga died from Bethor's bombing without bothering to check for a body, or Aru and Hitsugi being WAY too calm and okay about Aru getting stabbed and absorbed) or treating dark scenes like it was a bad prank/joke (i.e. Hitsugi and Kohri shrugging off Kohri's evil phase like it was a funny moment).

Ass pulls like Player's darker purifying powers conveniently allowing Hitsugi to cut through someone's Aether without harming them or how Kohri's turn to the good side was just like pressing the reset button on her character to make it seem like the entire evil Kohri phase never even happened (thus, Kohri never really undergoing any kind of meaningful character development)

Stupid amount of awkward exposition dumping that don't flow into the main story in a significant way.

Pointless perverted scenes.

Kohri... just Kohri.

[/SPOILER-BOX]

Oh, and don't bother replying to this part. I already know your answer's gonna be "That's your opinion". You've already shown yourself to be incapable of critical thought.

Sorry, still gonna do it - those are literally your opinions (I mean, pointless perverted scenes NOT an opinion?). Except the plot twists thing: everyone saw that coming, and I could say the same thing for EP 1~3's developments. Nothing about the earlier Episodes was actually 'surprising' in any way. Ether and Photons are also mentioned to be similar many times throughout the story, so why would it be so hard to believe that the player's powers, when combined with Hitsugi's, would work?

What I'll admit is that I've been trying to see just how deep your hate goes, because you sure make a lot of noise about it here. When it gets to the point of trying to invalidate and shut down what others think, that's pretty bad.

Zanverse
Feb 12, 2017, 11:57 AM
Guys, it's not even that deep. :wacko: As mentioned before, let others enjoy EP4, don't need to shove how bad the plot is down their throats.

Altiea
Feb 12, 2017, 03:43 PM
As much as I respect free speech, it's getting incredibly toxic in here.

Zysets
Feb 12, 2017, 09:35 PM

Reading the last few replies, let's end it here. There's nothing wrong with either of your opinions on Ep4, it's just a story in a game.

To go back to something less likely to be argued, I bought the PSO2 the Animation Character Song CD, it probably has no plot relevance, but I wonder if anyone has any of the translated Lyrics, my japanese isn't good enough to fully understand myself, and I feel like Aika's song in particular is at least character relevant.

silo1991
Feb 12, 2017, 11:29 PM
can we all agree that most of us just want ep 4 end already U_U

Altiea
Feb 13, 2017, 12:03 AM
Reading the last few replies, let's end it here. There's nothing wrong with either of your opinions on Ep4, it's just a story in a game.

To go back to something less likely to be argued, I bought the PSO2 the Animation Character Song CD, it probably has no plot relevance, but I wonder if anyone has any of the translated Lyrics, my japanese isn't good enough to fully understand myself, and I feel like Aika's song in particular is at least character relevant.

I don't think any of the character songs have ever been translated, except for Bullet Showtime. If there are translations, they're not on YouTube, that's for sure. If there are, send them to me.

Vatallus
Feb 13, 2017, 08:59 AM
I don't think any of the character songs have ever been translated, except for Bullet Showtime. If there are translations, they're not on YouTube, that's for sure. If there are, send them to me.

Unsure how good they are but eh.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3RmXxlRWI7IfXjTZ9kcmZiI3ASLP-2aB

None of them are the anime characters. Pretty sure the people that have the rights to those are pretty anal about letting anything related to them on youtube easily. I don't really upload PSO2 EQs anymore but I had one of my videos flagged because it had 30 seconds of one of their songs in it.

Also jesus christ I finally went back and read some of the other posts. Let the guy like what he likes and keep your opinions to yourself and don't repost them every second post.

Zysets
Feb 13, 2017, 03:09 PM
I can scan the Lyrics booklet later if anyone is curious, I'll edit this post in a few hours maybe with the scans

Edit- Okay I scanned the lyrics if anyone wants them (http://imgur.com/gallery/5M7sO)

25MGTAR
Feb 14, 2017, 06:57 AM
Time to grind invade series

Chalun-k_x_light
Feb 19, 2017, 07:10 AM
Don't know if you guys have seen this or not?
https://twitter.com/MetalForceE/status/832856605083332609
It's from the official website of course.
Looks like that the Zenchi addicted guy might return soon.

sasagi.jp
Feb 19, 2017, 08:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FmcnTZm.jpg

The holy mark at the top.
What does it mean?

oratank
Feb 19, 2017, 08:30 AM
it mean he is a god

loafhero
Feb 19, 2017, 09:03 AM
The name of the new raid boss is apparently "Deus ESCA". I will for now on call it Douche.

Meteor Weapon
Feb 19, 2017, 08:03 PM
Damn I almost forgot to post this up.

Only found one image of the Elder Lilipan but I guess this serves as proof that he really exists.

https://s14.postimg.org/4w8d4q6r5/dvfsdf.jpg

Golgotha
Feb 20, 2017, 07:27 AM
As much as I agree with you how terrible EP4 is, let people who enjoy EP4 enjoy it.

Oh, so we aren't IP range banning them yet?
You still have to beg others to forgive you for not shitting down on episode hard enough.

Meteor Weapon
Feb 20, 2017, 08:01 AM
Oh, so we aren't IP range banning them yet?
You still have to beg others to forgive you for not shitting down on episode hard enough.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/018/489/nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

Meteor Weapon
Feb 22, 2017, 08:46 AM
I don't remember if they did the same thing in EP3 regarding the reverse side of bingo...but then again I have a negative bias with EP4 lol

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?227721-PSO2-MOMENTS-AND-OTHER-ART-STUFF&p=3413536&viewfull=1#post3413536

IchijinKali
Feb 22, 2017, 09:13 AM
I don't remember if they did the same thing in EP3 regarding the reverse side of bingo...but then again I have a negative bias with EP4 lol

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?227721-PSO2-MOMENTS-AND-OTHER-ART-STUFF&p=3413536&viewfull=1#post3413536

There was a few times that it was required to complete a bingo card by doing a story mission. Though nowadays it is more obvious than ever I mean all four of my characters are all caught up with the story because of bingo. If the rewards didn't involve SG I can guarantee you I wouldn't be doing the story 4 times.

loafhero
Feb 22, 2017, 10:18 AM
Only reasons to directly play EP4's Story Board:

A) Getting Matoi's EP4 Partner Card (cause her EP3 outfit is uuuuugly)
B) Beating the shit out of Kohri

And while I do enjoy the older Episodes more, there's no way in hell am I ever going through the Matter Board ever again. That's what the Event Chronicle through the Visiphone is for.

Tymek
Feb 22, 2017, 01:00 PM
Just finished the The Animation Valentine's Day/White Day CO Storyline!

R/Friends Protection comes at +20. No special effect a la Effort Symbol.

Altiea
Feb 22, 2017, 01:40 PM
Only reasons to directly play EP4's Story Board:

A) Getting Matoi's EP4 Partner Card (cause her EP3 outfit is uuuuugly)
B) Beating the shit out of Kohri

And while I do enjoy the older Episodes more, there's no way in hell am I ever going through the Matter Board ever again. That's what the Event Chronicle through the Visiphone is for.

You forgot about earning SG. I honestly think that's the only reason why 90% of people play Story Board at all.

Keilyn
Feb 22, 2017, 02:12 PM
I rather work for an hour and earn $50 - $100
and buy the SG if need-be than going through the entire matterboard again!

Alenoir
Feb 22, 2017, 03:37 PM

Hey, let me know what work you're doing that's not in the medical field and earns you $50 to $100 (assuming USD) an hour!

Altiea
Feb 22, 2017, 04:04 PM

I mean, you can just skip the cutscenes if you don't like them.

loafhero
Feb 22, 2017, 10:58 PM
You forgot about earning SG. I honestly think that's the only reason why 90% of people play Story Board at all.

That too but I'm not too crazy about SGs, or at least, the SG scratch currently available.

Meteor Weapon
Feb 23, 2017, 02:08 AM
Story coherent wise, I'd rather not have my alternate other than my first character getting involved in game's story regardless how good it is. Call me stubborn but the game itself gave me the coice whether or not to play story mode so....yh. That's just me tho so no offence.

Zysets
Feb 23, 2017, 09:58 AM
I actually like playing story and look forward to the updates, I wouldn't play through again on my alt, but I do enjoy the story, including Ep4. Though I may be biased because I've always liked getting into the lore of Phantasy Star games.

starwind75043
Mar 11, 2017, 08:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtS_pkuwDqc

Dam luther with that banter. Calling out Matoi on how she dresses LOL.

Seriously I don't think they will ever create another Villain as great as he was.

Perhaps that's why they have not completely killed him off.

Xaeris
Mar 11, 2017, 08:13 PM
Effing lols @ Luther mimicing Matoi.

loafhero
Mar 11, 2017, 10:17 PM
Surprised that Kazanboshi is translating the Drama CDs now but I'm happy to know.

Luther may still be trapped in another dimension within canon but he lives on in popularity polls, fan art, non-canon VDs and in our hearts.

This wasn't the first time Matoi's EP4 attire was made fun of by another character. The other time was in EP3-EX where Sara and CCIII, aware of how revealing Matoi's new clothes are, asked if Matoi was into pervy stuff.

starwind75043
Mar 12, 2017, 12:00 AM
Seriously....they're going to need to let us know who's telling the Arks girls to slut it up for them Photons

Meteor Weapon
Mar 12, 2017, 12:13 AM
I guess even Luther didn't come up with that lol

Xaeris
Mar 12, 2017, 12:36 AM
My thank you note just needs a name to put in it.

loafhero
Mar 12, 2017, 02:26 AM
Classic MMO female "armor" logic but with this justification:

[SPOILER-BOX]
https://youtu.be/ZvcOxBePsQc[/SPOILER-BOX]

And male CASTs probably have a huge advantage cause I'm pretty sure their naked all the time.

Vatallus
Mar 12, 2017, 10:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtS_pkuwDqc

Dam luther with that banter. Calling out Matoi on how she dresses LOL.

Seriously I don't think they will ever create another Villain as great as he was.

Perhaps that's why they have not completely killed him off.

http://i.imgur.com/mjhrIgk.jpg

KazukiQZ
Mar 16, 2017, 11:31 PM
Possible Spoiler Warning

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.pso2-uploader.info/uploda/src/up204914.png
Is this real? Or just a mod for the EP2 Angel battle cutscene?
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Kondibon
Mar 16, 2017, 11:58 PM
Possible Spoiler Warning

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.pso2-uploader.info/uploda/src/up204914.png
Is this real? Or just a mod for the EP2 Angel battle cutscene?
[/SPOILER-BOX]Looks like a mod to me. The changes to the spinning background disks are REALLY basic and flat.

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 12:02 AM
We found one of the missing Genesis Weapons, guys. It was hiding in PSO2es the entire time.

That just leaves one member of the Seven Gods and Thirteen Goddesses that hasn't been found yet: Tam (タム). Never mind, I read it wrong. Tam is also in es. It's More.

TheszNuts
Mar 17, 2017, 12:55 AM
Looks like a mod to me. The changes to the spinning background disks are REALLY basic and flat.

Derp, thats PSO2ES. The skip button in the lower right is the giveaway.

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 01:01 AM
Derp, thats PSO2ES. The skip button in the lower right is the giveaway.

Wait, that's Lord? Apparently, being part Genesis Weapon doesn't make you immune to "recycled design" syndrome.

Kondibon
Mar 17, 2017, 01:35 AM
Derp, thats PSO2ES. The skip button in the lower right is the giveaway.I've never played ES, and was too focused on that awful looking thing on the top left. :wacko:

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 02:43 AM
I've never played ES, and was too focused on that awful looking thing on the top left. :wacko:

Well, ES doesn't exactly have Mobius Final Fantasy-tier graphics...

Kondibon
Mar 17, 2017, 02:46 AM
Well, ES doesn't exactly have Mobius Final Fantasy-tier graphics...You can make things look good in low fidelity. Especially if it's just a simple texture.

Meteor Weapon
Mar 17, 2017, 03:05 AM
Aren't Genesis weapons are originally supposed to be God Titled Photoners like Aurora herself?

Also

https://twitter.com/Chouchou_PSO2/status/842582695947386881

loafhero
Mar 17, 2017, 03:31 AM
Well, ES doesn't exactly have Mobius Final Fantasy-tier graphics...

Art direction & style > raw technical power.

I find Mobius to have dull looking visuals and the UI design is just... blergh

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 04:55 AM
Art direction & style > raw technical power.

I find Mobius to have dull looking visuals and the UI design is just... blergh

I'm just saying, ES has pretty rough graphics, even by mobile game standards.

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 04:58 AM
Aren't Genesis weapons are originally supposed to be God Titled Photoners like Aurora herself?

Also

https://twitter.com/Chouchou_PSO2/status/842582695947386881

Yep. The entry for the Seven Gods and Thirteen Goddesses in the Materials Collection lists seven Photoners who became Genesis Weapons. The two "missing" members are Roto (ロート) and Tam (タム). Based on the final chapter of es, I think we have a pretty solid idea about what happened to Roto.

Tymek
Mar 17, 2017, 06:57 AM
I'm just saying, ES has pretty rough graphics, even by mobile game standards.

And that's putting it VERY lightly.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 17, 2017, 09:53 AM
As for Chapters 9&10 of ES
If they ever bring out the Camo for Roto (Punishment and Forgiveness?) imma be slightly disappointed if you can get it just be emblem like the others. Would be cooler...atleast to me if you had to clear through ES to get it....which would be more fitting. Considering Seraphy's CO can check if you linked your char to ES I'd assume they could do something similar. Maybe give you an exchange item for it that can only be received in ES

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 02:17 PM
As for Chapters 9&10 of ES
If they ever bring out the Camo for Roto (Punishment and Forgiveness?) imma be slightly disappointed if you can get it just be emblem like the others. Would be cooler...atleast to me if you had to clear through ES to get it....which would be more fitting. Considering Seraphy's CO can check if you linked your char to ES I'd assume they could do something similar. Maybe give you an exchange item for it that can only be received in ES

The problem being that Camos don't work in es. So people who play es only, rare as they are, wouldn't be able to do anything with the Camo.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 17, 2017, 02:26 PM
The problem being that Camos don't work in es. So people who play es only, rare as they are, wouldn't be able to do anything with the Camo.

I'd be perfectly fine with them making a weapon out of it but considering all the GWs have been camo's up to this point....I doubt they'd change that now...

TheszNuts
Mar 17, 2017, 02:51 PM
So is this the Genesis list?
1 Yonohate
2 Blade Mai
3 Nanaki
4 Labrys
5 Clarissa
6 Moa
7 Gene

Tymek
Mar 17, 2017, 04:08 PM
Can someone fill me in on what's up with the PSO2es story?

Sirius-91
Mar 17, 2017, 04:37 PM
So is this the Genesis list?
1 Yonohate
2 Blade Mai
3 Nanaki
4 Labrys
5 Clarissa
6 Moa
7 Gene

More is just a weaponoid of a genesis weapon that was converted into claymore.
Same with Gene.

Mai, Roto, Nanaki, Labrys, Floren, Wolfram.

Yonohate and possibly Clarissa.

Altiea
Mar 17, 2017, 04:49 PM
This is still assuming that Tam, the last member of the Seven Gods and Thirteen Goddesses, became the Genesis Weapon that eventually became More. If this is incorrect, then Tam is probably still missing.

More and Gene technically don't count as Genesis Weapons because while they were created from Genesis Weapons, they don't actually embody the weapon itself. Roto=Tram has been destroyed since day one.

Also, Gene is only half a Genesis Weapon. If you were to count Gene, then you would have to count Lord as well, since they are both Weaponoids of Roto=Tram.

Poyonche
Mar 20, 2017, 12:35 PM
Cross post from datamine thread.

Removed the useless icons like scenes taking place in the ship, but the important ones should be here :

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/nN1Q5Fz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lLlzzUt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9vPuWnH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4dISFpR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RX2SIES.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/W0k7Q4F.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

loafhero
Mar 20, 2017, 01:21 PM
Almost there. Almost there until we finally leave Earth and the horrible inhabitants for good! Just gotta endure through more Kohri, Aru, cringeworthy transformation sequences, and horrible posing and it'll all be over!

Xaeris
Mar 20, 2017, 01:37 PM
I'm happy to be through with it as well, but it remains to be seen what pastures lie ahead. There's no promise that they won't just carry on with this story direction (not the plot, but the general storytelling methods) after all.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 20, 2017, 01:40 PM
idm Kohri tbh......then again things don't bother me as much as the average player and just enjoy the ride lol

Renvalt
Mar 20, 2017, 04:17 PM
I'm happy to be through with it as well, but it remains to be seen what pastures lie ahead. There's no promise that they won't just carry on with this story direction (not the plot, but the general storytelling methods) after all.

What will ultimately determine this is SEGA's own desires, alongside whether or not the Japanese liked the direction EP4's story went in.

After all, the opinions of us shitty gaijin make ZERO difference in determining the success of their waifu-selling product (show me an instance where the opinions of a gaijin actually influenced SEGA's own decision making for PSO2, I dare you).

-----------------------------

That being said, however, I'm kinda meh on the story here. There were some decent things IMO, but overall I think EP4 is probably the weakest of the group in terms of story and area delivery (tied with EP3, because they never finished Harukotan and they bumrushed the FUCK out of the Apprentice and Double arcs - the Persona arc was okay, though the way they ended the Elder arc left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth).

loafhero
Mar 20, 2017, 07:46 PM
Oh, damn it. I try to look towards a hopeful light at the end of the tunnel but you all just keep making me see a deeper abyss.

idm Kohri tbh......then again things don't bother me as much as the average player and just enjoy the ride lol

That's called turning off your brain. I'd love to do that too but I'm an easily bothered person.

blkbox11
Mar 20, 2017, 10:17 PM

Me neither. She doesn't bother me as much as some earlier episode characters did, if only because her role is super predictable.

Might also be because the story isn't as big of an aspect of the game to me as a whole.

Renvalt
Mar 20, 2017, 10:56 PM
Oh, damn it. I try to look towards a hopeful light at the end of the tunnel but you all just keep making me see a deeper abyss.

Oh come on, don't act like you don't know that SEGA sees where the money is (and the types of people who play this game). Not to mention, medieval fantasy and MMOs are a very hot combination right now (in terms of general popularity - not yours or mine to be certain).

I need only mention three letters to tell you what doom might befall you in the future.

If you have any doubts, leave when the Episode finishes. If you're able to brace yourself for the pain to come, then... Great Light save us both.

Altiea
Mar 21, 2017, 12:41 AM
If they raise the level cap and turn off silly limiters like HP for the bonus fight with Phaleg, that'd be satisfying. Hoping the reward is okay too. I'm cool with more SG, but give me a Bonus Key and I'll be happy.

loafhero
Mar 21, 2017, 01:17 AM
I wonder if they'll put a requirement in order to access the final Phaleg fight like they did with the 2nd fight. Maybe something like completing Solo PD.

Altiea
Mar 21, 2017, 01:55 AM
I wonder if they'll put a requirement in order to access the final Phaleg fight like they did with the 2nd fight. Maybe something like completing Solo PD.

Finishing Solo PD is kind of a silly requirement, considering they have handout weapons that completely break the fight. Probably another Solo XQ gate.

Poyonche
Mar 23, 2017, 02:23 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gltzx2zlbwgiswi/AACql1Tann8r06LesrAdtkiTa?dl=0

Deus Human voice files

loafhero
Mar 24, 2017, 12:10 AM

Deus Human voice files

Nice. Liking the deep and intimidating voice. A step up from Esca Falz Mother being... well, not intimidating (though I'd still take that over Double's laughing any day).

Poyonche
Mar 24, 2017, 06:24 AM
Still, I can't recognize who's voice it is. :c

Dualdiamond
Mar 24, 2017, 07:42 AM

Deus Human voice files

Not entirely sure what the last word he says for 11_voice_ptm4_deus_hu_001. I'm hearing tori . . . something . . . wodasu.

Also not sure what 11_voice_ptm4_deus_hu_006 says either. Kaeriyaku no tsutaeyo?

Tymek
Mar 31, 2017, 07:46 AM
I'm calling it right now:
Ardem and Ives are Photoners, and we will defeat them so Mother can finally have her vengeance.

Wow I was so wrong lol

Altiea
Apr 1, 2017, 09:40 AM
So SEGA's trying to pitch Phaleg as a pseudo-superboss.

They believve the new Phaleg Fight will be extremely hard, Half dolls / Scape Dolls are turned off for the fight and they believe based off of past data the clear rate will be 5%

I said I wanted them to make a no-holds-barred Phaleg fight, but I didn't think they would actually do it.

yoshiblue
Apr 1, 2017, 09:47 AM
Make her unbeatable and your rewards based on how long you can last.

loafhero
Apr 1, 2017, 11:22 AM
Make her unbeatable and your rewards based on how long you can last.

This strangely appeals to my masochistic side. I'm starting to think Phaleg's black colored clothing and corset wasn't just because they thought it looked cool.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 1, 2017, 11:40 AM
Making her unbeatable only makes an open door to return to Earth again so hell no, lets just end this once and for all.

Altiea
Apr 1, 2017, 11:42 AM
I'm waiting for BR/HU to get the first clear. Even though Phaleg's not as susceptible to Guren spam, Katana still moves fast enough to run circles around her.

Poyonche
Apr 1, 2017, 12:53 PM
I'm waiting for BR/HU to get the first clear. Even though Phaleg's not as susceptible to Guren spam, Katana still moves fast enough to run circles around her.

I'm going to do this as SU and let my pets fight. :wacko:

Unless there is a time limit then i'll YOLO as BO/HU.

loafhero
Apr 1, 2017, 01:01 PM
Best way to cockblock Phaleg, be a Summoner where the actual fighting is done by pets. Even the Story admits that this is basically what Summoners are evident by the Pietro and Katori cutscene.

Altiea
Apr 1, 2017, 01:09 PM
I guess Maron spam works too. Just cause she's super strong doesn't mean she's invulnerable to carpet bombing.

Xaeris
Apr 1, 2017, 01:16 PM
Twist: Phaleg thinks Maron is adorable and attacks it with love taps, which don't trigger stacks.

ZER0 DX
Apr 1, 2017, 06:57 PM
SU/GU with pre-nerf Maron, HU/BR with Dragon Slayer. RIP Phaleg.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 1, 2017, 07:41 PM
I remembered I said I didn't mind a medieval setting(which is a possible setting in EP5 based on datamine), but with things how EP4 and it turned out to be a wasted potential I'm worried. EP4 should've been medieval setting instead, a branching timeline of another Earth where Mother woke up earlier and has been sole reason of Earth's massive progression, minus the whole high school anime chunnibyou thing(which honestly is the sole reason I hated EP4's story). With the whole witch hunt during the medieval era which the ether potential humans are possible victims you can get some serious dark shit out of it.

Flaoc
Apr 1, 2017, 07:48 PM
new expert block requirement: beat phaleg

Altiea
Apr 1, 2017, 08:05 PM
new expert block requirement: beat phaleg

That's one way to force people to play the Story Board.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 1, 2017, 08:25 PM
Unless you have one active character that's into story mode i guess it's fine, but it's pure middle finger for people who don't care to play the story. Even skipping the goddamn scenes is a chore

Ordinorm
Apr 1, 2017, 08:41 PM
helooo.....i don't know if this ok to ask this here but
up until what is the story patch? mine is until 70-c? is this updated? the one after the boss battle with afro director

loafhero
Apr 1, 2017, 10:24 PM
Twist: Phaleg thinks Maron is adorable and attacks it with love taps, which don't trigger stacks.

It would be pretty impressive if they really programmed Phaleg's AI to be smart enough to avoid falling into these kinds of cheap tactics.

Flaoc
Apr 1, 2017, 10:46 PM
you really think sega can make her ai that great? Kappa

loafhero
Apr 1, 2017, 11:02 PM
Not that great that's for sure but something like deliberately nerfing Phaleg's attacks when she's drawn by Maron aggro doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, if you ask me.

Altiea
Apr 1, 2017, 11:08 PM
Not that great that's for sure but something like deliberately nerfing Phaleg's attacks when she's drawn by Maron aggro doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, if you ask me.

Nerf in what sense? As long as she still fights, she can still hit Maron. The real solution would be that Pets can't draw her aggro (which, incidentally, would make the fight hell for Summoner).

Xaeris
Apr 1, 2017, 11:13 PM
I wasn't even thinking of anything elegant. Just have her spout a little line when a Maron is active, "so kawaii...", and then any attacks she hits it with don't inflate it. I mean, surely there's a trigger somewhere in the code that they can flip to prevent Marons from accumulating Pain Packer.

loafhero
Apr 2, 2017, 12:11 AM
Nerf in what sense? As long as she still fights, she can still hit Maron. The real solution would be that Pets can't draw her aggro (which, incidentally, would make the fight hell for Summoner).

Okay, nerf wasn't the right way to put it. More like (as Xaeris puts it), Phaleg's attacks won't inflate Maron.

Also, the idea that she completely ignores Pets and goes straight for our character is both funny and fitting. She's waited way too long for a no holds barred one-on-one and she's not gonna let some pet cockblock her.

Kondibon
Apr 2, 2017, 12:15 AM
Not that great that's for sure but something like deliberately nerfing Phaleg's attacks when she's drawn by Maron aggro doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, if you ask me.I would rather they just nerf marron than make it completely useless for a single encounter.

Altiea
Apr 3, 2017, 10:57 PM
Funny thing about Chain Maron vs Phaleg; apparently, SEGA had the foresight to realize people would try this to cheese Phaleg, so they're giving Phaleg the damage cap "buff". RIP SU/GU for Phaleg.

That actually just makes me wonder how much health they're giving Phaleg if they're putting a 999,999 damage limit on her.

loafhero
Apr 4, 2017, 01:52 AM
Funny thing about Chain Maron vs Phaleg; apparently, SEGA had the foresight to realize people would try this to cheese Phaleg, so they're giving Phaleg the damage cap "buff". RIP SU/GU for Phaleg.

Ah, so just like with Deus Esca (who I'm still assuming at this point is a transformed Ardem). Hopefully, the upcoming story update will explain who and what exactly Ardem and Phaleg are. Maybe add a little more depth to them, although, considering the crappy characterization of EP4 characters... better to keep my hopes down.

Phaleg is badass and has a cool design along with a fun personality which I like (especially when she messes with shitsugi) but if that's all she has going for her then *yawn*. That said, I can definitely say she's the only good thing that came out of EP4's Story.

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 02:20 AM
4-8 arrives in 40 minutes, folks! Place your bets: Will Hitsugi save Ardem from himself, or will he go down in a blaze of glory?

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 5, 2017, 02:37 AM
4-8 arrives in 40 minutes, folks! Place your bets: Will Hitsugi save Ardem from himself, or will he go down in a blaze of glory?

I don't mind with either.....but this was my first thought after what you said....

[spoiler-box]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ycNYK52GZI [/spoiler-box]

Nyansan
Apr 5, 2017, 03:17 AM
Me when Phul + Och appeared: meh
Me when Aratron appeared: o-ossannnnnnnnnnnn!!

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 04:21 AM
I've crashed 4 times now trying to finish this quest. Going to be fun trying to figure out why the game isn't working right now.

Dualdiamond
Apr 5, 2017, 04:24 AM
This quest is so long, and of course the bosses have OHKO moves.

Atmius
Apr 5, 2017, 04:46 AM
This latest quest
[SPOILER-BOX]I felt it pretty much went "there's literally no reason for the upcoming eq to happen" after the ending of it.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 04:51 AM
I'm at 7 crashes now. I've reinstalled my GPU, used the vanilla client to repatch PSO2. Redone tweaker patches. The only thing I've noticed is... literally every crash is during cutscenes. Looks like I'm skipping the cutscenes for this wild ride.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 5, 2017, 04:52 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]PSO2's logo ring is literally Deus Hunas's wing ring[/SPOILER-BOX]

Dualdiamond
Apr 5, 2017, 04:59 AM
Poor Bethor. I guess there was no way to have him be alive.

This latest quest
[SPOILER-BOX]I felt it pretty much went "there's literally no reason for the upcoming eq to happen" after the ending of it.[/SPOILER-BOX]
[SPOILER-BOX]
Phantom God explained that he will be re-embodied so long as people desire it. Also Ardem explains that he will most likely come back stronger than ever with stronger desires of destruction. The ending in 1 month after his defeat, so he should be ready to re-embody himself.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 05:07 AM
The ending is literally Ardem dies a reedeeming death, everyone returns to their normal lives and lives happily ever after. EP4 has never actually been bad enough to piss me off, but this is seriously one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever witnessed.

oratank
Apr 5, 2017, 05:17 AM
lol god of genesis is just a mothe'sr fragment that left on earth when she collided

Meteor Weapon
Apr 5, 2017, 05:20 AM
So...I'm guessing humanity can fight back Deus with ARKS's aid and using PSO2 as a portal to use their avatars on Earth?

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 05:23 AM
I literally can't get past the Ardem fight because PSO2 crashes my GPU every single time it reaches the white light. Which I'm forced to see whether I skip the cutscene or not. :)

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 05:24 AM
Oh, and for anyone who missed it, the current Story Board campaign is redistributing some old limited items, including the MAG Evo. Device/Losher and the Klotho M238.

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 05:33 AM
Ardem and Phantom God are very fun and challenging, not very easy anymore
the EQ boss should be awesome at this rate
I'm ok with this ending not bad not very good

lol at Enga and the cardboard box

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 05:35 AM
S Rank is going to be a nightmare for certain class combos because the bosses are really fond of stupidly strong, hard to avoid attacks that burn through your health like a hot knife through butter.

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 05:36 AM
I almost loss all my mate as a sword hunter -__-''
and got C rank as a result

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 05:46 AM
Ardem only has 3 attacks besides his nuke and the same exact movement pattern after each time he does one. I had to lower all the graphics to min just to get into the final boss area because whatever Sega did in this area is killing my GPU randomly.

By time I reached the end the only thing I gave a shit about because of the 100% crash rate (for me) loading into the Deus Esca area was Quna's new costume and song.

Touka
Apr 5, 2017, 05:46 AM
Ending was ok but what made it worth it was Ophiel getting his ass beat anime style by Phaleg.Even had the bloody nose and broken teeth haha.

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 05:47 AM
Ending was ok but what made it worth it was Ophiel getting his ass beat anime style by Phaleg.Even had the bloody nose and broken teeth haha.

That one was pretty pathetic lol
Phaleg pretty much scared the hell out of Ophiel

loafhero
Apr 5, 2017, 06:08 AM
So, the moral of the story is; Always carry with you a totally-not-PS Vita at all times. It can save lives! Get your totally-not-PS Vita in your nearest stores today while stocks last!

Gonna wait for Kazanboshi translations before giving my full thoughts about the finale.

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 06:11 AM
So, the moral of the story is; Always carry with you a totally-not-PS Vita at all times. It can save lives! Get your totally-not-PS Vita in your nearest stores today while stocks last!

Gonna wait for Kazanboshi translations before giving my full thoughts about the finale.

Agree lol to think that she actually carry it around even going to final fight

Kintama
Apr 5, 2017, 06:27 AM
I used to play pokemon go every time i saw an Earth character speaking, man i played so much today i caught a wild Vaporeon.

loafhero
Apr 5, 2017, 06:41 AM
Agree lol to think that she actually carry it around even going to final fight

She probably didn't want to part with that one app in her totally-not-PS Vita that allowed her to dress up a virtual Aru in girl clothes.

Golgotha
Apr 5, 2017, 07:00 AM
Looks like story enemy power finally caught up, on a level of ep2 closure.
Glad to see they tied up episode ending as well, without leaving a feeling that you only made it worse.

Dualdiamond
Apr 5, 2017, 07:56 AM
I kind of liked how Laplace and Maxwell were fighting the angels.

Also, Maxwells are the Phantom Marons for Aether Summoners.

They should have explored the idea of war between phantoms between Traditional vs ESCA Darker vs Angels.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 5, 2017, 08:08 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]Does anyone feel like the whole thing about [God of Genesis Zephyros] just came out of nowhere? I mean lol Adam was just using him self to resurrect an ancient God that wasn't even foretold in the story and using himself as it's vessel. I feel like Ep4 should've been ended nicely at Chapter 7.[/SPOILER-BOX]

loafhero
Apr 5, 2017, 08:56 AM
So with [161-C] now subbed:

[SPOILER-BOX]- Yeah, I barely have anything to comment here. I mean, I do like that we're getting a new Quna song (cutscene only, grrrr ) but that's just all there is to it. Quna telling Player of her new concert. Kinda wish they did more with Quna's scenes. I honestly would love to see her interact with Aika more as the teasing girl/naive serious girl dynamic they have is pretty entertaining.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Edit: And with me finding [162-A] subs up after refreshing my subscriptions page:
[SPOILER-BOX]- Casra trolling never gets old.[/SPOILER-BOX]

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 09:08 AM

[SPOILER-BOX]- Yeah, I barely have anything to comment here. I mean, I do like that we're getting a new Quna song (cutscene only, grrrr ) but that's just all there is to it. Quna telling Player of her new concert. Kinda wish they did more with Quna's scenes. I honestly would love to see her interact with Aika more as the teasing girl/naive serious girl dynamic they have is pretty entertaining.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Don't forget Io
I really want Quna to abducted and turn Io into idol lol

Renvalt
Apr 5, 2017, 10:25 AM
I went into this thinking I'd have it done within 1-2 hours, if not less.

Remind me never to doubt SEGA's ability to actually make their shit hard ever again.

I also realized something: this arc had a very "trinity" focused theme: Sun, Moon and Star; with Adam (I can't believe that was his ACTUAL name, like what the hell SEGA) being the "Sun" as in the Holy God, Mother being the Moon, and us ARKS being the very stars themselves (or perhaps the Phantoms themselves?).

And finally... SEGA, you really dodged a bullet here. For a moment, I actually thought Deus Hunas was gonna send out Xerneas or something. Like, wtf was with that area at the very end?

I kind of liked how Laplace and Maxwell were fighting the angels.

Also, Maxwells are the Phantom Marons for Aether Summoners.

They should have explored the idea of war between phantoms between Traditional vs ESCA Darker vs Angels.

So then what would that make Laplace? Genuinely curious on that one - because I seriously had Phul/Och pegged as polar opposites of Double there for a while (I guess it would make sense, what with Aratron coming off as a mirror version of Elder or some shit).

Don't forget Io
I really want Quna to abducted and turn Io into idol lol

Don't lie - you're only saying this because of her seiyuu.

Edit: And with me finding [162-A] subs up after refreshing my subscriptions page:
[SPOILER-BOX]- Casra trolling never gets old.[/SPOILER-BOX]

To the first, I say this: maybe in Episode 5. After all, she never really had a place on Earth, and it now allows them to open a new Quna arc after closure of the last one.

To the second, I say this: I guess we know what part of Luther's genes he picked up during the cloning process. Geez louise.

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 10:31 AM
I went into this thinking I'd have it done within 1-2 hours, if not less.
Don't lie - you're only saying this because of her seiyuu.

์No no I suddenly remember the scene where Quna try to convince Io to become Idol lol
well I did forget that her seiyuu is famous for "Little Sister" / "Kouhai" type

Renvalt
Apr 5, 2017, 11:19 AM
์No no I suddenly remember the scene where Quna try to convince Io to become Idol lol
well I did forget that her seiyuu is famous for "Little Sister" / "Kouhai" type

Funnily enough? She's part of an idol duo. Know who else belongs to that duo besides her?

I'll give you a hint: her voice belongs to someone extremely red and obnoxiously annoying.

mickbis
Apr 5, 2017, 11:30 AM
Funnily enough? She's part of an idol duo. Know who else belongs to that duo besides her?

I'll give you a hint: her voice belongs to someone extremely red and obnoxiously annoying.

Red and Annoying = Chalis 3 ? Yuuki Aoi right ?

Shinamori
Apr 5, 2017, 12:26 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]That beatdown was so damn satisfying.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Anduril
Apr 5, 2017, 12:34 PM
Needs to be cleared on Normal for the title, doesn't it? *sigh* I am not having a good time with the last boss.

Arakasa
Apr 5, 2017, 12:42 PM
Needs to be cleared on Normal for the title, doesn't it? *sigh* I am not having a good time with the last boss.

i did it on easy and got the title for the emblem,if thats what your wantin

Anduril
Apr 5, 2017, 12:59 PM
i did it on easy and got the title for the emblem,if thats what your wantin
Oh thank (Phantom) god.
*crickets*
I'll see myself out.

TehCubey
Apr 5, 2017, 01:15 PM
That was alright for an ending. Nothing extraordinary, but if you want extraordinary writing, PSO2 is not where to look for it. It wraps everything up and feels satisfying with some pretty neat moments.

Also the quest itself is decently hard, which is a refreshing change after ep 1-3 endings being total cakewalks. I wonder is there a reward for S ranking it.

[SPOILER-BOX]Civilian clothes Phul is cute. Cute!
Och still 100% annoying though.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 01:18 PM
Listening back to Deus Hunas's theme again... Did they actually put "The whole new world" as the opening riff?

Raujinn
Apr 5, 2017, 01:50 PM
It was every bit as stupid as I expected it'd be. I enjoyed each dumb moment as it happened. A suitable ending to Episode 4.

Poyonche
Apr 5, 2017, 02:43 PM
There was a good thing in this story chapter : Player-Chan can use Photon Arts during cutscenes !

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 02:46 PM
There was a good thing in this story chapter : Player-Chan can use Photon Arts during cutscenes !

This. I was so happy that story fight scenes actually used real attacks instead of making stuff up or just cutting to gameplay.

Also Hitsugi not using Type-0 Kazan made me die a little inside.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 5, 2017, 02:56 PM
This. I was so happy that story fight scenes actually used real attacks instead of making stuff up or just cutting to gameplay.

Also Hitsugi not using Type-0 Kazan made me die a little inside.
Hasn't mastered bankai yet?

IchijinKali
Apr 5, 2017, 04:09 PM
Well that mission was boring. Died during final boss because I wasn't watching HP but that is why I carry a scapedoll on all my characters. Started skipping scenes because they were clearly designed to just drag on for five hours killing both my MAG's energy and my drink time, while NOT finishing my CDs.

Oh well I got that rifle camo I wanted so I don't care. Just have to run it as my other characters and I can say GOOD RIDDANCE to episode 4.

Xaeris
Apr 5, 2017, 05:04 PM
lol @ Enga's reasoning for his embodied weapon. "I couldn't be bothered to get a gun permit in Japan, so, yeah."

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 05:41 PM
Still can't watch the cutscenes in the new map without crashing my GPU :D or turning my graphics way down to remove whatever effect is causing it to break.

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 05:44 PM
Still can't watch the cutscenes in the new map without crashing my GPU :D or turning my graphics way down to remove whatever effect is causing it to break.

If it's that bad with just the small portion, I can only imagine Yggdrasil for the EQ.

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 06:05 PM
If it's that bad with just the small portion, I can only imagine Yggdrasil for the EQ.

They better have it fixed before end of the month. I don't want to play N64 pso2 just to be sure I removed whatever graphic effect that is doing it. It also varied throughout the quest. It would take minutes to crash during the tower cutscenes. Once reaching the final area it was always instant and still is.

I lowered PSO2's graphics down to min on everything just so I could finish it. I can however watch Quna's song, afk in the lobby for over an hour, and do Mother while streaming all with max graphics without crashing.... so I don't know what is up with the new map.

Flaoc
Apr 5, 2017, 06:09 PM
out of curiosity what gpu do you currently have (even though anything that can run t6 just fine really shouldnt be having issues with this)

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 06:20 PM
GeForce GTX 650 Ti (2GB version) using driver 378.92.

Renvalt
Apr 5, 2017, 07:35 PM
Red and Annoying = Chalis 3 ? Yuuki Aoi right ?

Yeah, Aoi Yuuki. The duo is known as "petit milady", and apparently they had a hand in the ED themes for both Yugioh Zexal Second and the Akiba's Trip anime.

Of course, this is just what I was able to find. Their work seems rather small, but of course I've not bothered to actually look into this harder.

Hasn't mastered bankai yet?

Nah, more like uncrafted Kazan is flashier, and thusly works better for cinematic purposes.

Because at least then people ain't gonna accuse her of being a Saber-ripoff with that.

lol @ Enga's reasoning for his embodied weapon. "I couldn't be bothered to get a gun permit in Japan, so, yeah."

What a lazy asshole. Now I know why Och says he's 10% attractive.

Straight up no joke, I marked the fuck out when I saw that. But then Hunas was all "Oh, you're from a fantasy land? I see... GET YO AZZ BACK TO YOUR WORLD" and my reaction was straight up "Why don't evil deities from other franchises pull this shit more often?!" I mean, that was almost decently competent villainy right there. Heck, I'd argue the only reason it failed was because of conveniently placed plotkai in the pocket of yandere shoujo.

Which, if you remove that, actually makes Hunas a somewhat competent god. Good lord...

TehCubey
Apr 5, 2017, 07:39 PM
GeForce GTX 650 Ti (2GB version) using driver 378.92.

That's weird. I have a much weaker GPU (ye olde GTX 460SE) and it can run PSO2 no problem, tier 6 graphics and all. This includes the new story quest. Everything loads fine and doesn't freeze.

Makes me think it's either an issue with the driver, or with the game files.

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 07:45 PM
That's weird. I have a much weaker GPU (ye olde GTX 460SE) and it can run PSO2 no problem, tier 6 graphics and all. This includes the new story quest. Everything loads fine and doesn't freeze.

Makes me think it's either an issue with the driver, or with the game files.

The only other thing I can think of is to use the vanilla client to redo PSO2's file and then don't install the english patch.

Could be the driver. Maybe I should try rolling it back. I already tried reinstalling the same driver so I guess it couldn't hurt.

Last one I had was 368.39 so guess I'll try that.

Edit: Tried 368.39 and it GPU crashed after a couple minutes in the cutscene where we beat the humaniod Deus.

IchijinKali
Apr 5, 2017, 08:21 PM
At this point I'm 3 for 4 on characters done with the story mission I have to say I doubt I'll ever be able to pull off more than a C rank. Some of the crap thrown at you just screams you need to cheese it all more than anything to avoid damage. I've done it as a BR/HU, BO/HU, and now SU/BR I just have a RA/HU left.

Altiea
Apr 5, 2017, 08:25 PM
At this point I'm 3 for 4 on characters done with the story mission I have to say I doubt I'll ever be able to pull off more than a C rank. Some of the crap thrown at you just screams you need to cheese it all more than anything to avoid damage. I've done it as a BR/HU, BO/HU, and now SU/BR I just have a RA/HU left.

Seriously, Deus Hunas shits on melee classes. Think I'll just go Dragon Slayer for the S Rank.

Side note, but I like how the game assumes that we happen to know Deadly Circle Type-0.

Gaylar
Apr 5, 2017, 08:45 PM
The only other thing I can think of is to use the vanilla client to redo PSO2's file and then don't install the english patch.

Could be the driver. Maybe I should try rolling it back. I already tried reinstalling the same driver so I guess it couldn't hurt.

Last one I had was 368.39 so guess I'll try that.

Edit: Tried 368.39 and it GPU crashed after a couple minutes in the cutscene where we beat the humaniod Deus.

I've been having issues like this with my 560 Ti, screen blanks out all of a sudden.
Updating my drivers had minimal effect, but it doesn't crash on PSO2 anymore. My issue is more than likely my PSU going bad (its quite old), but fwiw you might be able to get some mileage out of changing your drivers.

I did read that Nvidia's drivers came with a nasty bug which was (apparently) fixed, which caused the display to randomly cut out, and the driver to crash because something tried to eject the GPU. Funny enough that's the error I've been having personally.

Who knows.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fuck nvidia, honestly.

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 08:49 PM
I've been having issues like this with my 560 Ti, screen blanks out all of a sudden.
Updating my drivers had minimal effect, but it doesn't crash on PSO2 anymore. My issue is more than likely my PSU going bad (its quite old), but fwiw you might be able to get some mileage out of changing your drivers.

I did read that Nvidia's drivers came with a nasty bug which was (apparently) fixed, which caused the display to randomly cut out, and the driver to crash because something tried to eject the GPU. Funny enough that's the error I've been having personally.

Who knows.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fuck nvidia, honestly.

Yeah I don't know either man. Warframe on max isn't crashing. PSO2 doesn't crash unless I enter a cutscene in the new area... I don't care about the upcoming EQ so I'm just going to reinstall the whole game and if that doesn't work I'll just blame PSO2/Nvidia and hope someone fixes it before the Deus EQ is added.

Basically what happens if if I see a cutscene in the new area, Let's say the ruins area - It will randomly crash in a cutscene and only in a cutscene. Usually after a few minutes. If I watch a cutscene in the Deus Esca area it will almost instantly crash. The only way I got around this to finish the quest was lowering everything to min in the settings.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/XNgHFAo.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Saffran
Apr 5, 2017, 08:53 PM
Deadly Circle T0? I thought it was... er... Archer?
Maybe I'm not thinking of the right cutscene.
I happened to rock a Br/Bo setup and frankly this quest has murdered me. I guess I'm just no use without all guard.
The scenario is not too shabby but sheesh, that's an awful lot of cheesy lines.

loafhero
Apr 5, 2017, 09:03 PM
Deadly Circle T0? I thought it was... er... Archer?

Player used both Deadly Archer and Deadly Circle. Deadly Archer to stagger Deus Hunas just as he was going to strike (which happens before Deus Hunas teleported Player back to the Bridge) and Deadly Circle as the party was landing the finishing blow.

To the second, I say this: I guess we know what part of Luther's genes he picked up during the cloning process. Geez louise.

I just hope he never picked up Luther's orientation as a Xionsexual.

Lyrise
Apr 5, 2017, 10:20 PM
Yeah I don't know either man. Warframe on max isn't crashing. PSO2 doesn't crash unless I enter a cutscene in the new area... I don't care about the upcoming EQ so I'm just going to reinstall the whole game and if that doesn't work I'll just blame PSO2/Nvidia and hope someone fixes it before the Deus EQ is added.

Basically what happens if if I see a cutscene in the new area, Let's say the ruins area - It will randomly crash in a cutscene and only in a cutscene. Usually after a few minutes. If I watch a cutscene in the Deus Esca area it will almost instantly crash. The only way I got around this to finish the quest was lowering everything to min in the settings.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/XNgHFAo.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

If that is what you're seeing every time you "crash",then it means some external process is overtaking your game. The game doesn't like this, and is terminating itself. Since you mention it's only happening at high graphical settings, it might just be something that is also trying to utilize your GPU as well, since anything that could cause the game to stall will generate that error too.

Vatallus
Apr 5, 2017, 10:39 PM
That is also the error message you get from PSO2 every time a GPU recovers itself. I don't see why it wouldn't happen in middle of Mother or any other gameplay and only happen during cutscenes in the new area.

Does PSO2 utilize PhysX? Only asking because drivers after 373.xx for Nvidia had a memory leak on another game I play and they disabled PhsyX until Nvidia eventually fixes it.

I can't really do much else checking atm since I've opted to just reinstall the whole game while I play other ones without issues.

IchijinKali
Apr 6, 2017, 12:03 AM
And there we go I am done with episode 4 with all my characters. Now to wait for Kazen's translations to see if at any point I was correct in assuming what characters were saying based solely on attitude, posture, and cliches of anime RPGs.

loafhero
Apr 6, 2017, 12:52 AM
And [162-B]

[SPOILER-BOX]- Oh, Sara (or Sarah? That's apparently how the credits spells her name). Her sassiness is always a joy for me to watch but it only makes me feel sadder about the fact that she's at the bottom of favourite female character rankings. Either her recent rankings will cause the devs to cut her out of future story content or it'll encourage them to make Sara more relevant and interesting (or at least, just give her a new outfit that's a little more distinct)

- I talked before how Matoi's current tone of voice kinda bothers me but after watching this cutscene, I think I now know exactly why her voice really bothers me. Its that listening to a super soft, child-like tone of voice coming from a girl with an erotic body & outfit is just SO jarring. Why sex her up in appearance if the voice and personality don't match? Is it some kind of stupid attempt to maintain her "purity" while still giving players a dose of fanservice at the same time? I still wonder why the outfit is called "Innocent Cluster". There is nothing "innocent" about that outfit :-?

I thought to myself that if I imagined Sara's voice coming from Matoi's body (or if she's the one wearing Innocent Cluster), its actually less jarring because I think Sara's voice and personality fits. Like, when Matoi gets called out on her outfit, she gets flustered and embarrassed (i.e. MB 3-7 and the short CD special featuring Matoi and Luther) but say if Sara was in the same shoes, she probably wouldn't give a damn.

- Anyway, dumb ranting aside, I like how even though Matoi dwarfs Sara in height, Sara was clearly the bigger girl in that conversation. Sara's evil smile was adorable too. Upon a second watch, I could tell that Sara deliberately causing more problems for Maria (who obviously couldn't let go of the fact that her brother won the Instruction Unit leader position instead of her) is just her way of getting Maria's attention.

- This cutscene apparently gives the excuse that the reason Matoi (and many more qualified ARKS for that matter) aren't getting involved in the Ardem business (until the upcoming raid, that is) is cause, to quote from Sara "If too many ARKS get involved, that alone will cause confusion."...um, wut? How the hell would reducing ARKS involvement make the situation any less confusing? I'm pretty sure the situation's gotten to the point where everyone's grown numb to all the weird shit that's happening. [/SPOILER-BOX]

Altiea
Apr 6, 2017, 01:04 AM
I don't think Matoi is that much taller than Sara. One thing I pointed out as far back as EPISODE 3 was that the Innocent Cluster has ridiculous heels. It's painful to even look at them because they're so unrealistically tall that no person other than whose who would desire the deepest pits of hell to their feet would even think about wearing those.

When you think about it from Earth's point of view, having a bunch of weirdos and aliens suddenly showing up for no apparent reason might understandably cause a ruckus. Much less a whole fleet of them. Although the game considers humans other than the core characters nonexistent, so.

Also, I never understood why Matoi is considered sexy. Sure, they try to push the point with her outfits, but she leaned closer to "cute" for me.

mickbis
Apr 6, 2017, 01:13 AM
That another way of pushing responsibility on the player chan

Xaeris
Apr 6, 2017, 01:15 AM
Fun fact: Innocent Cluster adds 7 inches to a character's height in the salon.

Waiting on Kazanboshi to grace us with a translation like the rest of you, but it seems rather clear that Episode 4 is wrapped up, apart from Phaleg still having to issue a duel challenge to PC. So I'm just kinda wondering how Deus fits in. Ether is clearly still a thing, and phantoms apparently always existed through Earth's history, so the elements for Deus to self embody like Mother does are present. But the Arks can't keep babysitting Earth forever (r-right?), and the idea of something like Deus Zephyros being able to continually reembody itself is rather bleak. I dunno, it's just weird to me that the EQ follows the climax of the episode's story, unlike previous episodes where the EQ was the climax.

loafhero
Apr 6, 2017, 01:35 AM
I am well aware that Matoi's heels are boosting her height. I've made fun of her heels a few times already. The point is that I enjoyed how Sara came off as the bigger and more mature girl despite being shorter (and slightly younger) than Matoi (heels or not). Back in the "10 years ago" event in EP2, Matoi was the "onee-san" to Sara. Now the roles are reversed.

Also, I never understood why Matoi is considered sexy. Sure, they try to push the point with her outfits, but she leaned closer to "cute" for me.

That's my point. Her personality and voice leans towards cute & moe but her outfit and her certain endowments make her appear sexy, which creates this jarring feeling for me. Its like they wanted to maintain her "purity" without compromising on her sex appeal but its executed in a way that just comes off as a little... well, dumb. Its jarring (but actually kinda funny in a way) to see Matoi whining like a little girl in an outfit that's certainly popped a few boners.

Personally, a balanced cuteness-to-sexy ratio for Matoi was already accomplished back when she was Klarisklays II and without giving her an overly sexy outfit.

Renvalt
Apr 6, 2017, 04:42 AM
That's my point. Her personality and voice leans towards cute & moe but her outfit and her certain endowments make her appear sexy, which creates this jarring feeling for me. Its like they wanted to maintain her "purity" without compromising on her sex appeal but its executed in a way that just comes off as a little... well, dumb. Its jarring (but actually kinda funny in a way) to see Matoi whining like a little girl in an outfit that's certainly popped a few boners.

Personally, a balanced cuteness-to-sexy ratio for Matoi was already accomplished back when she was Klarisklays II and without giving her an overly sexy outfit.

With regards to this... I have a theory.

You know how Touhou and KanColle are notorious for the influx of hentai content made by fans? In a sense, one might argue that they're trying to maintain a certain image for Matoi to avoid being thrown into R18 territory (because you can definitely tell they WANT to go there, but the rules of public image dictate that they can't), but the devs are effectively saying "If you CAN do erotic stuff to her without using our assets, we'll turn a blind eye to it".

I mean, think about it. How many explicitly R18 SAs have you run into during the course of your time playing JP PSO2? In other games, people would flip and report you to be banned without a second thought. But it's there (trust me on this: I still see them whilst browsing shop searches from time to time) - and almost nothing really gets done about it.

In the case of Touhou and KanColle specifically, you don't have to look far to find that kind of stuff. The creators themselves outright say they're not okay with it... but if that was the case, wouldn't the crackdown on that stuff be harder?

As always, it's just a theory, though. Pay no mind to my incessant, ignorant rambling.

IchijinKali
Apr 6, 2017, 04:52 AM
Will say it gave a good kodiak moment

Regular
[SPOILER-BOX]https://puu.sh/vb2St.png
https://puu.sh/vb4OO.png
https://puu.sh/vb2Rk.png
https://puu.sh/vb2Q5.png
https://puu.sh/vb2NY.png
https://puu.sh/vb2N0.png
https://puu.sh/vb2Mv.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Darker
[SPOILER-BOX]https://puu.sh/vb2RD.png
https://puu.sh/vb2QN.png
https://puu.sh/vb2P8.png
https://puu.sh/vb2NE.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

loafhero
Apr 6, 2017, 05:30 AM
@Renvalt Actually... you have a good point there. I'm familiar enough with that particular tactic used by creators to encourage R18 stuff without being held accountable for it.

I mean, think about it. How many explicitly R18 SAs have you run into during the course of your time playing JP PSO2? In other games, people would flip and report you to be banned without a second thought. But it's there (trust me on this: I still see them whilst browsing shop searches from time to time) - and almost nothing really gets done about it.

Yup, I still see some of that even now.

Anyway, my thoughts on [168-D]:
[SPOILER-BOX]- I just love how while Hitsugi and Kohri went through a deep, emotional crisis to get their weapons, Enga was all "Give me a goddamn gun already" to acquire his.

- Like before, Kohri's dark moment is treated as a joke just to maintain that ditzy girl appeal she has going for her. Instead of going in any further as to why Kohri still retains traces of her "destroy everything, including myself" and why her evil sword stays the same, everyone (including the normally emotionless Player) decides to just laugh at Kohri's obvious mental issues... actually, forget what I said. I'm completely on board with laughing at Kohri cause her character is really lousy.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Meteor Weapon
Apr 6, 2017, 05:37 AM
So, does anyone have any idea where Deus Hunas originated? Was it Ardem's ideal of God coming to materialization or an ancient God resurrected from it's eternal slumber?

IchijinKali
Apr 6, 2017, 06:00 AM
So, does anyone have any idea where Deus Hunas originated? Was it Ardem's ideal of God coming to materialization or an ancient God resurrected from it's eternal slumber?

Popular legendary trees RPG makers include in their stories . . . hmm thats an easy one Yggdrasil. Enjoy don't worry about reading up on Yggdrasil I seriously doubt SEGA did they will just create their own legend about it, or say Ardem planted the damn thing.

starwind75043
Apr 6, 2017, 05:30 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]So...am I the only one thinking. I know he's cute and I know were a kinda gentler Arks now. Are we just going to leave the manifestation of dark photons and ether to be watched over by two high school girls without taking him to meet Xiao?[/SPOILER-BOX]

Other then that glad this is over. ES story >>>>> Ep 4

IchijinKali
Apr 6, 2017, 07:09 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]So...am I the only one thinking. I know he's cute and I know were a kinda gentler Arks now. Are we just going to leave the manifestation of dark photons and ether to be watched over by two high school girls without taking him to meet Xiao?[/SPOILER-BOX]

Other then that glad this is over. ES story >>>>> Ep 4

[SPOILER-BOX]Thats like asking why was Och, Phul, and Aratron allowed to go back to Earth despite the fact they have more than likely killed plenty of people. Its following the generic anime stereotype there are no consequences to the things you have done if you side with the good guys in the end.

So for Aru despite being basically a ticking timebomb it is okay for him to not see a person who may have some insight on them because its gotta have its plot points left open for potential sequels.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Renvalt
Apr 6, 2017, 08:02 PM
Popular legendary trees RPG makers include in their stories . . . hmm thats an easy one Yggdrasil. Enjoy don't worry about reading up on Yggdrasil I seriously doubt SEGA did they will just create their own legend about it, or say Ardem planted the damn thing.

Nope, I also saw motherfucking Sephirot, the Tree of Life, in that (look up the Kabbalah; it's got some really neat stuff in that that both Japan and the West share an equal love for - so it's something Kohri and Hitsugi would find common ground in).

Given that I'm getting huge Dragon of St. Peter vibes off o' Zephyros, in addition to the Orochi stuff that others were going on about... I mean, if Zephyros were the Yamato-no-Orochi, why in the hell would he use Judeo-Christian Angels to do his bidding? I mean, heck, this chapter gave us Cherubim for cryin' out loud - in addition to some Acceptance from Bayonetta (or Accolades, depending on how you perceive the Centaur Angels).

Given how Vegas was the "West" half of Earth, and Tokyo was the "East", the tree could be the "Central" section - which also calls to mind the Tower of Babel, and how it was meant to reach the Heavens but was never completed because God scattered the tongues of humanity (AKA made peeps speak different languages to prevent cooperation on construction). In a sense, would this not explain why the EP4 group was so varied in their interests?

Vatallus
Apr 6, 2017, 08:17 PM
Well the update from Nvidia today didn't fix anything sooo... looks like I'm waiting till next maint to see if Sega fixes whatever the heck is wrong.

I'm just glad this Episode is finally over. As much as I enjoy good ol folk lore I don't like the little twist and changes to make it their own version.

Renvalt
Apr 6, 2017, 08:23 PM
Anyway, my thoughts on [168-D]:
[SPOILER-BOX]- I just love how while Hitsugi and Kohri went through a deep, emotional crisis to get their weapons, Enga was all "Give me a goddamn gun already" to acquire his.

- Like before, Kohri's dark moment is treated as a joke just to maintain that ditzy girl appeal she has going for her. Instead of going in any further as to why Kohri still retains traces of her "destroy everything, including myself" and why her evil sword stays the same, everyone (including the normally emotionless Player) decides to just laugh at Kohri's obvious mental issues... actually, forget what I said. I'm completely on board with laughing at Kohri cause her character is really lousy.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

With regards to the first point... Enga's got a good point; Japan's known for being tight on gun control, to where even police can only wield guns while on duty, and even then are trained not to use it unless they ABSOLUTELY have to. Meanwhile, America might be gung-ho about public arms ownership, but these days if you've got a gun on you and the cops show up? Caps 'bout to get busted in peeps' azzes, if you know what I mean.

With regards to the second... I don't think Kohri's crisis with Hitsugi was the ONLY factor in making that blade appear. If you recall, prior to fawning over Hitsugi, she was very much an isolated case of dank depression. It's possible that might've contributed to it - and perhaps she was into Norse myth before that, as well. I mean, why is Hitsugi's weapon based on the twin swords of Susano'o? Heck, what made her think to pull Kusanagi of all things, which is effectively Japanese Imperial Regalia? Other than the Emperor, nobody can get a glimpse of the genuine articles of those three items (which, oddly enough, are what influenced Earth's design motif).

Perhaps the weapons themselves were meant to symbolize the Sun (Hitsugi's Ame-no-Habakiri and Ame-no-Murakumo - representing the East where the Sun rises), the Moon (Kohri's Dark Blade Gram representing the direction where the Sun's descent heralds the Moon's arrival), and the Endless Stars (Enga's Phantom Bullet - particularly that the projectiles are like stars in that they travel so fast you can hardly see them, and they are many)?

IchijinKali
Apr 6, 2017, 08:29 PM
Nope, I also saw motherfucking Sephirot, the Tree of Life, in that (look up the Kabbalah; it's got some really neat stuff in that that both Japan and the West share an equal love for - so it's something Kohri and Hitsugi would find common ground in).

Given that I'm getting huge Dragon of St. Peter vibes off o' Zephyros, in addition to the Orochi stuff that others were going on about... I mean, if Zephyros were the Yamato-no-Orochi, why in the hell would he use Judeo-Christian Angels to do his bidding? I mean, heck, this chapter gave us Cherubim for cryin' out loud - in addition to some Acceptance from Bayonetta (or Accolades, depending on how you perceive the Centaur Angels).

Given how Vegas was the "West" half of Earth, and Tokyo was the "East", the tree could be the "Central" section - which also calls to mind the Tower of Babel, and how it was meant to reach the Heavens but was never completed because God scattered the tongues of humanity (AKA made peeps speak different languages to prevent cooperation on construction). In a sense, would this not explain why the EP4 group was so varied in their interests?

Hate to say it but without even knowing if I was correct or not, because I can't read Japanese, I turned out to be right lol. Taken from Bumped's PSO2 Station #6 Recap.

Late April Update

The battle against God begins atop the Yggdrasil Tree.
The first part has you fighting Angels along the way.
You can also utilize the Dash Panels
In the second part, you’ll face [DEUS ESCA ZEPHYROS]

For the lazy writers of today it will always be Yggdrasil, I want to say because of Tales of Symphonia just to reference it. The Kusanagi, Bakatuski's weapon, will always be represented as a katana despite existing before katanas were even a thing and stress its physical attacks over magical.

*side note*
Kazen's translation is out its over an hour long

Altiea
Apr 6, 2017, 08:34 PM
I mean, there aren't too many options in the way of giant, symbolic trees.

I think Blazblue begs to differ on that Kusanagi bit, though.

Xaeris
Apr 6, 2017, 08:38 PM
Barely a minute into the Chapter 8 translation video and my retinas are already detached from rolling eyes at Kohri.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 6, 2017, 08:46 PM
Sephiroth was never really depicted as a tree, it's more of diagrammatic representation of life and universe. And then you have Qlipoth the Tree of Death. Deus Esca's name made no sense because how he yearns more for destruction of life rather than recreation.

Altiea
Apr 6, 2017, 08:54 PM
Sephiroth was never really depicted as a tree, it's more of diagrammatic representation of life and universe. And then you have Qlipoth the Tree of Death. Deus Esca's name made no sense because how he yearns more for destruction of life rather than recreation.

Wasn't Ardem's ultimate goal to bring about the reincarnation of the human race?

Meteor Weapon
Apr 6, 2017, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure but Zephyros was probably aiming for humanity's destruction? Zephyros and Adam doesn't sound like they're the same person. Better wait for Kazanboshi's translation, I guess unless anyone can summarize what's going on in the story now.

IchijinKali
Apr 6, 2017, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure but Zephyros was probably aiming for humanity's destruction? Zephyros and Adam doesn't sound like they're the same person. Better wait for Kazanboshi's translation, I guess unless anyone can summarize what's going on in the story now.

Um its been released for about an hour now

*edit*
【163-C】「God's Awaking」
[SPOILER-BOX]Tempted to say God's Awhacking with what keeps screaming at me as bad spelling, I can blame Fire Emblem Awakening for that one.

Beat someone with a god complex. God complex still shows up. Offers swift death we resist, because RPG. God doesn't understand why we resist. BS speech. God goes home.

Honestly I got nothing about the story. The sheer lack of consequences to what Mother Cluster members did to the general populace is downright disgusting. Hell some ended up being rewarded for their spoiled child behavior considering now both Och and Phul are teachers and continue to have the mentality of 6 year olds who will now abuse their authority, Enga became comic relief for that lame twist. Aratron now leads Mother Cluster which begs the question how does it still serve a purpose thats like having Earth Guide still around despite the group basically being slaughtered and their leader/founder is dead. Ophiel is the only one that has been given any punishment which is vague at best on what it is besides "he will wish he was dead". So many parallels to Yu Yu Hakusho's Chapter Black arc ending its not even funny.

Hitsugi complaining ARKs hasn't come and popped in on them for over a month was blegh. Showing up hoping for an adventure we instead go to a concert we don't get to watch AND credits.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Renvalt
Apr 6, 2017, 10:09 PM
-snip-

I wasn't being literal when I made that declaration, FYI. I knew the devs were gonna call it Yggdrasil, even if I thought it was something else.

Though, considering that the Moon is a thing and what its boss was, I can totally see why they went with that (since I don't recall a lot of Western tales mentioning life on the moon all that much - though that could just be me and my own ignorance).

The reason I suggested (or rather, felt) that Zephyros was a reference to the Dragon of St. Peter came more from the fact that he used Angels as his minions, as opposed to, say, Valkyries or Norse mythological creatures, in addition to him coming out of a pool of Ether (referencing the lake in the St. Peter myth). I mean, I COULD see Nidhoggr or Jormungandr perhaps, but... given the origins of those two I don't feel it as heavily.

Also, Zephyr is associated with wind. What part of Yggdrasil - or rather, what dragon dwelling within Yggdrasil would be related to wind? Hraesvelgr doesn't seem AS likely, given that it is more often depicted as a hawk (or at least, that's where fiction goes with it).

True, but whenever the Japanese reference it for fiction, it tends to be very much tree-themed (since trees are tied to the kodama/kedama, AKA the forest spirits whose presence denotes that a forest is full of life). Thus why I brought it up.

Oh, and I'm a fool for using the FFXIV spelling variant - though in my defense I was trying to avoid people slamming me for bringing FF7 into this (not saying any of you would, but I felt there was a possibility that SOMEONE would, so better safe than sorry and all that).

Xaeris
Apr 6, 2017, 10:39 PM
All right, that settles the matter of what Zephyros is. Like with Mother, Deus will reembody itself, but without Ardem's direction, the memory of his despair will embody it into a proper EQ boss. "I can't fathom how many times." Eh, as many times as it's scheduled, I guess. Don't sweat it bro. It reminds me of FFIX's final boss, Necron. Kuja destroyed the crystal out of a tantrum over the fact that he was mortal, and Necron sprung forth ready to end it all. Ardem does similarly, calling forth God-not God to do the same. The heroes in both scenarios do their spiel and fight for the chance to go on existing. Hell, come to think of it, Memoria was on top of a big ass tree too, wasn't it? And the hero, Zidane, was an extra terrestrial being who intervened on behalf of Gaia...and used double sabers....okay, I think I'm done staring down this rabbit hole, thanks.

"These fists, these legs...these are the pinnacle of human potential that you couldn't believe in. ...You will savor this, right?" New headcanon: Phaleg works as a domme for a day job.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 6, 2017, 10:45 PM
Welp I guess i can say Episode 4 literally went Xenogears/Xenoblade on "we dont need God's intevention to decide the fate on Humans" thing. Too bad the build the build up from the previous chapter are mostly horrid.

loafhero
Apr 6, 2017, 11:18 PM
With regards to the second... I don't think Kohri's crisis with Hitsugi was the ONLY factor in making that blade appear. If you recall, prior to fawning over Hitsugi, she was very much an isolated case of dank depression. It's possible that might've contributed to it - and perhaps she was into Norse myth before that, as well. I mean, why is Hitsugi's weapon based on the twin swords of Susano'o? Heck, what made her think to pull Kusanagi of all things, which is effectively Japanese Imperial Regalia? Other than the Emperor, nobody can get a glimpse of the genuine articles of those three items (which, oddly enough, are what influenced Earth's design motif).
Yeah, I also took into consideration of Kohri's history as a bully victim. That said, I'm actually more inclined to believe that Kohri's sword has more to do with her love of folklore than anything to do with her psychological issues... which only just emphasizes how shallow her character is. But enough about talking about "what ifs" about Kohri. I'm just satisfied with muting the sound whenever she talks and making fun of her character.

Great Pan
Apr 6, 2017, 11:44 PM
Wait, Sephiroth is really a tree?! Not a silver hair dude with a looooong ass katana?

Altiea
Apr 7, 2017, 12:04 AM
I think I've come to the conclusion that the main game writers are trying to balance story and characters without knowing that the two are interconnected. EP1~3, we got okay characters who were likable, but the story took its sweet time to get there until the end of EP2. EP4, we got a full fledged story (with a nice conclusion and everything), but characters were ass, which made the story a drag.

It's funny, es actually knows how to do both competently. And it's not even remotely as popular.

Flaoc
Apr 7, 2017, 12:20 AM
well heres how deus eq happens.. (similar to mother except deus gets a powerup and isnt just a shell of the original)

ardem/adam: ... the remains of aether i left behind will take the shape of god, and approach. i don't know how many times you will come to face it ... that's something i cannot fathom. ... no, it wouldn't just end there. Taking in the tens of thousands of years of my despair, it will likely embody itself even stronger, more fiendish than before. Rather than creation, a powerful and merciless god embodied from the will of destruction ...

Dualdiamond
Apr 7, 2017, 12:24 AM
Also, the top 6 news articles for the day.

ESCA tower light up ceremony

Is that when we're going to fight Phaleg?
A mysterious shadow in the Pacific Ocean

I see Emerald Tablet and Yamato are still duking it out with ARKS. Or is this Deus Esca preparing to resurrect.
ESCA exclusive device NEW model announced

YMT Co. is basically the future Apple.
App [Tora Tora] begins launch

That was the app that let's you communicate telepathically right? I guess that's cool, I'd probably download it.
Where will the 2036 Olympics be held at?

I guess the 2028 Olympics are about the begin.
Construction of a theme park utilizing aether

What can possibly go wrong.

God's theme really does remind me of Magatsu. I forgot, but Magatsu was a planetary god that is also capable of destroying the world too right? From what I understood, God is the sentient will of Earth. He seemed to believe that he was the absolute authority over aether not knowing that it actually came from Mother. In both cases, we only get to fight a fragment of their power.

Meteor Weapon
Apr 7, 2017, 01:00 AM
Zephyros claimed that he is the God of that universe but was just using the body that Ardem prepared for him. On the other hand Mother said Zephyros is not the real god. So which is it?

What we're fighting next is a Phantom of God from Ardem's suffering he left behind in the form of a materialized aether or that God who reembodied himself once again through human's desire? Or are they both one and the same?

Dualdiamond
Apr 7, 2017, 01:06 AM
Zephyros claimed that he is the God of that universe but was just using the body that Ardem prepared for him. On the other hand Mother said Zephyros is not the real god. So which is it?

I think he is and he isn't.

He is God in the sense that this is who both Ardem and Phaleg were talking about. Phaleg seem to sense him as well.

Since his body was created using aether using Ardem as a host, Mother was just saying that he wasn't all powerful essentially. That you can defeat him with the power of humanity alone. This is based on Mother's final comments saying that humanity is no longer in the grasp of God nor Mother.

What we're fighting next is a Phantom of God from Ardem's suffering he left behind in the form of a materialized aether or that God who reembodied himself once again through human's desire? Or are they both one and the same?

The God we fight in the EQ I think is just a phantom. So unlike the one in the story, it won't be truly sentient but just going off it's instincts much like how ESCA Falz is just another phantom. But we have to wait for the cut scenes that comes with it.

If he has a distorted voice like ESCA Falz, then I think that would confirm it.

Vatallus
Apr 7, 2017, 01:15 AM
I won't say that Zephyros isn't God. He very well could be, but the body he was given as a vessel was essentially a by product of Ardem's aether. Something Mother was in full control of, not God.

God could not control the Player and Arks beyond just sending us back home because we are not part of God's universe. I would feel that Mother was also never truly part of God's universe being a clone of Xion.

When Ardem was dying he pretty much said that the aether he leaves behind will keep resummoning God, but that the aether he leaves behind will only desire destruction. Seeing as this God is influenced by what the vessel truly desires, a vessel that only desires destruction will make the summoned God only want destruction also.

Ardem wanted to rebuild everything and push humans to evolve, so the Zephyros we fight in the story also wanted to rebuild and push humans to evolve.

Long story short after watching the translated video it makes more sense to me now why we fight what would appear to be a serpent like creature... Orochi.

Zangor17
Apr 7, 2017, 01:18 AM
So, Aside from Mother and Erdem everyone got a happy ending. Also for calling him 10% sexy Och sure isn't hiding the fact that she has a thing for Enga and i cant tell if Phul is into him too or if she's just attached to Och at the hip. Phaleg wants to fight strong people which leads into our fight in the upcoming bonus mission. And Hitsugi and everyone can visit Oracle anytime they want (hence why we can have their partner cards and take them on adventures). Overall i liked the story even if the characters where not the best at times. I wouldn't mind if Hitsugi and company show up from time to time in future story arcs.

Renvalt
Apr 7, 2017, 01:42 AM
Wait, Sephiroth is really a tree?! Not a silver hair dude with a looooong ass katana?

Sarcasm aside, the Warring Triad of FF6 originally were supposed to have names. This is actually why they are named as such in FF14 - Sephirot the Fiend, Sophia the Goddess and Zurvan the Demon. But since FF7 became so damn popular, anything that bears the name automatically gets associated with that Backstreet Boys reject (or would it be NSYNC given who voiced him in KH1? Oh who cares)

But yeah, the diagram itself usually tends to take form as a tree. If not factually, then via creator's warping of fiction.

Yeah, I also took into consideration of Kohri's history as a bully victim. That said, I'm actually more inclined to believe that Kohri's sword has more to do with her love of folklore than anything to do with her psychological issues... which only just emphasizes how shallow her character is. But enough about talking about "what ifs" about Kohri. I'm just satisfied with muting the sound whenever she talks and making fun of her character.

Yet if that was the case, why that sword in particular? Again, Hitsugi clearly has about as much love, if not more, for Western/Norse mythology than Kohri does. So why exactly was she given Ame-no-Habakiri, a sword that beheaded a wicked serpent, and Ame-no-Murakumo, one of three Japanese national treasures that signify both royalty and divinity? Why was Hitsugi the one that got Japanese themed to begin with (given that they both have Japanese names)?

And again, if it was just her love of folklore, there were easily other candidates for swords she could have pulled - two easy examples being Balmung and Tyrfing. But then again, neither of the two associate with both darkness and the moon (which is what Kohri is in the whole trio with us removed - she's the "Moon" to Hitsugi's "Sun"), from what I know of notable Norse swords.

... That being said, from the very beginning I always saw her as Proto-Matoi - the kind of annoying person you can't really ignore, lest they "become" an "important plot point".

I mean, I know there was at least one person here who hated Matoi's guts and probably still wishes she had died in EP3, as she should have done (because this person is possibly like me and hates shallow waifus - or waifu-ism period).

All right, that settles the matter of what Zephyros is. Like with Mother, Deus will reembody itself, but without Ardem's direction, the memory of his despair will embody it into a proper EQ boss. "I can't fathom how many times." Eh, as many times as it's scheduled, I guess. Don't sweat it bro. It reminds me of FFIX's final boss, Necron. Kuja destroyed the crystal out of a tantrum over the fact that he was mortal, and Necron sprung forth ready to end it all. Ardem does similarly, calling forth God-not God to do the same. The heroes in both scenarios do their spiel and fight for the chance to go on existing. Hell, come to think of it, Memoria was on top of a big ass tree too, wasn't it? And the hero, Zidane, was an extra terrestrial being who intervened on behalf of Gaia...and used double sabers....okay, I think I'm done staring down this rabbit hole, thanks.

"These fists, these legs...these are the pinnacle of human potential that you couldn't believe in. ...You will savor this, right?" New headcanon: Phaleg works as a domme for a day job.

Well, that at least confirms that they'd been consulting Squeenix for writing advice. Good lord.

And... really? A domme? I just found her obsession over her strength to be something hilariously Japanese. I mean, really - they always do that in some capacity.

Welp I guess i can say Episode 4 literally went Xenogears/Xenoblade on "we dont need God's intevention to decide the fate on Humans" thing. Too bad the build the build up from the previous chapter are mostly horrid.

I think the bigger question here is... "Where do they intend to go from here?" This is crucial, because it COULD tank the story even harder if they aren't careful.

So, Aside from Mother and Erdem everyone got a happy ending. Also for calling him 10% sexy Och sure isn't hiding the fact that she has a thing for Enga and i cant tell if Phul is into him too or if she's just attached to Och at the hip. Phaleg wants to fight strong people which leads into our fight in the upcoming bonus mission. And Hitsugi and everyone can visit Oracle anytime they want (hence why we can have their partner cards and take them on adventures). Overall i liked the story even if the characters where not the best at times. I wouldn't mind if Hitsugi and company show up from time to time in future story arcs.

Personally, Hitsugi and co. really should've just become permanent ARKS members. Same with Och, Phul, Aratron and the others. It'd at least allow me to make jokes at Hitsugi/Enga's expense about how they're basically Zeno & Echo's kids from the far future (like, no joke - every time I saw those two I was all "It's Zeno & Echo Junior!").

Also, Phul and Och are basically the polar opposite of Sara/Claris 3, and are basically what the Double twins would be were they not evil. In other words, Phul and Och are pretty much soul mates that get along like a pair of lovers, opposed to Sara and Claris always bickering their heads off.

mickbis
Apr 7, 2017, 02:19 AM
Personally, Hitsugi and co. really should've just become permanent ARKS members. Same with Och, Phul, Aratron and the others. It'd at least allow me to make jokes at Hitsugi/Enga's expense about how they're basically Zeno & Echo's kids from the far future (like, no joke - every time I saw those two I was all "It's Zeno & Echo Junior!").

Also, Phul and Och are basically the polar opposite of Sara/Claris 3, and are basically what the Double twins would be were they not evil. In other words, Phul and Och are pretty much soul mates that get along like a pair of lovers, opposed to Sara and Claris always bickering their heads off.

I would like to see them in the future episode as well
they would make a good ally against the upcoming threat and increase the variety of Arks member

Meteor Weapon
Apr 7, 2017, 02:22 AM
PSO2 Earth God is definitely based on the abrahamic lore with Adam and Ives being a presence and Adam calling God his Father, while Mother....i'm guessing she's the Mother Goddess/Earth Mother equivelant?

I think the bigger question here is... "Where do they intend to go from here?" This is crucial, because it COULD tank the story even harder if they aren't careful.

The story of Earth for the player character has ended, but the threat remains. What's left is a colossal phenomenon that humans will have to overcome it with the aid of ARKS, with the Mother Clusters/Earth Guide probably work together trying to stop Esca Deus from materializing continuously. Even if this whole thing had nothing to do with the Oracle from another point of view, this shit wouldn't have started if Photoners get their shit together and not throwing dangerous stuff randomly into another dimension. The current Oracle, originated from their creators who started this mess have this sense of responsibility to deal with whatever their creators started.

I'm wondering what's the next horrifying Photoner trash we'd discover in the next Episode.

loafhero
Apr 7, 2017, 03:30 AM
[163-C] "God's Awaking" 10/10 Engrish SEGA

[SPOILER-BOX]- Pressing "mute" every time Kohri and Hitsugi talk really improves the viewing experience.

- I agree with Enga that Kohri and Hitsugi should fuck off but come on, man. Its obviously too late at this point to make a "cool" speech about how this is your fight (while conveniently wanting Player to stick around despite having even less of a reason to involve themselves). No amount of Metal Gear references is gonna make you look any less lame.

- Ardem's Phantoms are already more interesting to me knowing that the souls of the forcefully transformed Earth Guide members are still trapped within and are suffering. It totally beats "Oh, hey. Some random dude got scared of watching that one movie so now his imagination come-to-life is wrecking shit up" associated with the old Phantoms or Och's stupid looking Monster Inc's Sullivan rip off.

I feel actually motivated to clear out these Angel Phantom mobs as its not just to prevent them from harming others but also to free them from suffering. Its a nice contrast against the Darkers aside from the obvious difference in appearance; Darkers want to spread destruction and suffering while Angel Phantoms want to be free from their own eternal torment and don't actually want to cause any more harm.

- Gah, I really wish the story had an Asura's Wrath style of villain speech interruptions where a button prompt appears on-screen which, when pressed, causes Player to just punch Herbert in the face mid-speech. Sitting through Herbert's speech was a pain in the ass but at the same time, I don't mute him because DIO. I don't see the point of why any of the characters even bothered to stand there and listen until Herbert finished talking. None of them took him seriously and he was made into a joke in the end.

- Watching Player save Kohri was a mixed bag. On one hand, Player pulling off those Jedi moves was awesome to watch. On the other hand, Kohri lives. Heck, looking at the scene again, why didn't Herbert use an all direction scalpel attack like he did on Bethor? That would've been more effective and harder for Player to Jedi their way to save Kohri.

- Phaleg emasculating Herbert was epic. Looks like [162-D]'s real purpose was to foreshadow Herbert's humiliation and how his Aether power reflects him as a person; a man with a massive ego that hides an extremely insecure man-child beneath it. It is for this reason (and another one) that I consider Photon weapons to be superior. You almost never have to worry about the design and function revealing embarrassing details about you as a person... unless you're using a dakimakura (anime girl body pillow) camo.

- The design of the centaur-like knights are pretty cool. Them popping in and then revealing that their "heads" are actually their maces and that their actually headless was quite metal.

- 17:14 Hitsugi: "... that said, these numbers aren't looking too good" Pfft, girl. This is normal every day questing for me.

- So, yeah. I'm on the same boat that the surviving Mother Cluster members are being given an undeserved heroic treatment. I can at least sort of be okay with Aratron being given the heroic treatment but Och and Phul are a hard pass. Och, in particular, did try to level Vegas with her Maxwells. I don't think anyone got hurt but that's still pretty much terrorism. In Phul's case... we barely know anything about her so I feel nothing.

That said, I am starting to like Phul a little more because I find it endearing whenever she points out a story trope or character archetype. Oh, and that sexual tension between Enga and Och is pretty funny too even as she lowers him down to "10% sexy guy".[/SPOILER-BOX]

[SPOILER-BOX]- Scumbag Ardem. Wants to end conflict, has no problem starting one and even taking part in conflicts. Wants to evolve humanity, turns everyone into mindless monsters.

- 29:00 "I don't know what you're saying" Same here, Kazanboshi. Same here.

- As expected of someone who is Phaleg's equal, Ardem can really take a hit.

- I just like how after beating Ardem's human form, while the rest of the Earth party are nearly out of breath, Player is there like "Oh, we're done already? Kay"

- Now, I do like the design of "god" and it reminds me of a Dark Souls boss but beyond that.... wuuuuuut? Like, this story started off with one stupid little highschool girl, her even dumber best friend and a shotacon bait fighting against a not-illuminati led by a vengeful Xion copy which then later goes into a bit of detail of how Mother influenced Earth. Now, Enga is suddenly the main protagonist and the story took a complete 180 over what it actually its supposed to be about but with even less of a motivation for our character along with ARKS to get involved.

I mean, I get that "god" is just another Phantom embodiment and that its mostly just an extreme version of Aratron's Phantom transformation powered by Ardem's inflated ego and Mother's essence but this is really, really dumb.

- Player parrying, dodging and Deadly Archer-ing "god's" sword out of his hand, making "god" look like an idiot, was badass.

god: "How, has your power not been dispersed?"

Me: Because PHOTONS, BITCH! Filled with just as much bullshit as your Aether crap!

- Like everyone else, "god" actually being smart by not risking his plans with a duel to the death against an overpowered main protagonist and simply just teleporting Player as far away from him as possible was awesome. Sure, he could've just teleported Player into the vacuum of space instead of the safety of the ARKS ship but as shown in the start of Elder, Profound Darkness, and Mother raid, ARKS can breathe in space. The most that would do is simply make it take longer for Player to get back.[/SPOILER-BOX]

[SPOILER-BOX]- Mother restraining not-Ardem from within does seem like a callback to EP2 when Xion did the same to Luther who had only just acquired omniscience. And like Xion towards Luther, Mother talked down on not-Ardem like he's a spoiled brat.

- Then we learn that Mother left one small piece of her essence in Aru- AAAAAAGH! Not the short pants and cat ears again! MY EYES!!

- Seeing Xierra use Kohri's totally-not-PS Vita to save the day makes me think that EP4 was just one big and elaborate PS Vita advertisement.

- not-Ardem summoning tree tentacles from his crotch... SEGA just can't let go of their phallus innuendos.

- I find it cute that they go on saying that Earth people will be handling Deus Esca whenever he comes back when its really just going to be ARKS doing all the work and cleaning up Earth's trash.[/SPOILER-BOX]

[SPOILER-BOX]- Ugh, I rolled my eyes with the abrupt change to the stupid high school again and the nauseatingly happy tone of it. Talk about forced happy endings. I'm sure there are few who might like that for once, a PSO2 Episode ended on a completely happy note but blergh

- I think a lot of us already saw more of that Metal Gear reference when Enga hid under a cardboard box. There is sooooo gonna be a hentai about a 3-way between Enga, Och and Phul.

- Looks like Quna took some inspiration from Sachiko Kobayashi in the outfit and stage theme department (minus the scary giant face). She's also wearing an even shorter skirt! Dayum!

- I mentioned this before in another thread but Eri Kitamura (Quna's VA) actually sounds like Idol Quna this time in her new Quna song.

- And still, I don't have a clue of what exactly Ardem and Phaleg really were. They never elaborated on how they were able to live for so long without aging. Hopefully, the upcoming Phaleg bonus boss fight will have her reveal what exactly kind of human she is.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

So, my overall thoughts about EP4's Story = Eh

mickbis
Apr 7, 2017, 03:34 AM
Finally finished watch the final chapter
so according to Ardem word
Adem and Phaleg are basically Adam and Ives who obtained forbidden apple and got curse by this God as a result to have extremely long life right?
I start to wondering what kind of "forbidden knowledge" that result in the god wrath

Meteor Weapon
Apr 7, 2017, 04:22 AM
While I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts on final chapter, but it was to me more of a rant rather than a fair review I just couldn't bring myself to continue reading...but oh welp.

loafhero
Apr 7, 2017, 04:32 AM
While I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts on final chapter, but it was to me more of a rant rather than a fair review I just couldn't bring myself to continue reading...but oh welp.

Never claimed it was a review at all.

Tymek
Apr 7, 2017, 08:40 AM
What they did with Xierra and the Not-Vita was actually pretty clever. I'm glad that interaction actually turned out to be important, plot-wise. It was surprising.
More thoughts later.

loafhero
Apr 8, 2017, 02:36 AM
The finale reminds me a lot of Bayonetta 2's final battle; the main villain is a megalomaniac with a god complex, manages to fuse with god who happens to be an asshole too and wants to recreate the world because he thinks humanity sucks, one of the heroes makes a speech about how humanity doesn't suck and move forward yadda, yadda, yadda, the little boy macguffin gives the heroes a fighting chance, the heroes beat god and the main villain subsequently perishes but not without leaving behind something to continue annoying the heroes. It all ends with one of them making a sad sacrifice, bidding farewell to the heroes before the scene proceeds to the epilogue where nearly every surviving character is living happy lives.

Difference is is that its done WAY better in Bayonetta 2 because that game completely embraces its absurdity, goes all out with it, remaining self-aware AND can still be genuinely heartwarming. It even had the balls to kill off its little boy macguffin character.

blkbox11
Apr 8, 2017, 02:51 AM

Well, that's the only thing he has been doing in this topic for about a year now.

loafhero
Apr 8, 2017, 04:40 AM
Well, that's the only thing he has been doing in this topic for about a year now.

Aww~ You noticed.

blkbox11
Apr 8, 2017, 05:31 AM
Aww~ You noticed.

I'd actually be surprised if no one else did.

Chalun-k_x_light
Apr 8, 2017, 06:44 AM
Finally finished watch the final chapter
so according to Ardem word
Adem and Phaleg are basically Adam and Ives who obtained forbidden apple and got curse by this God as a result to have extremely long life right?
I start to wondering what kind of "forbidden knowledge" that result in the god wrath

Well,i wonder if it's the upcoming EQ raid boss.

yoshiblue
Apr 8, 2017, 08:29 AM
It all ends with one of them making a sad sacrifice, bidding farewell to the heroes before the scene proceeds to the epilogue where nearly every surviving character is living happy lives.

Still needs a babies ever after, yo. That way we get another episode featuring the return to Earth, and where we see grown children and go,[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/bCmyCXT.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Meteor Weapon
Apr 10, 2017, 04:08 AM
lol i just noticed about Qliphad Weapon series.

Qliphad= Qliphoth, the Tree of Death.

Zephyros is obviously Sephiroth, the Tree of Life.

As Ardem said, the Phantom God that was supposed the Sephiroth in resetting the world and bringing new life, attained Ardem's long life suffering experience will end up being the Qliphoth who seek nothing but destruction of everything.

Golgotha
Apr 10, 2017, 05:44 AM
You can see wall paintings of the tree in Adam's office.

Zeroem
Apr 11, 2017, 07:47 PM
I was busy with work and pretty much late to the bandwagon (almost a week is ancient by Internet standard, right?).

I must say, it ended with a happy, somber note. It's not really a bad thing, since -most- people who did bad things get their just desserts. Not to add the subtle callbacks to previous episodes.

Love how Mother's theme evolved to become almost similar to Shion's theme, but at the same time it is her own; compared to her initial theme which is just a distorted Shion's theme. Also for Aratron to stick with his words.

That scene with Enga, Och, and Phul are a definite doujin-bait. I guess we can expect EngaxOchxPhul doujins in future.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quna's new song is really good, since it contain emotions on it, but still below Eien no Encore.

Gonna give a proper thoughts when I got back from work today.

Renvalt
Apr 11, 2017, 07:48 PM
lol i just noticed about Qliphad Weapon series.

Qliphad= Qliphoth, the Tree of Death.

Zephyros is obviously Sephiroth, the Tree of Life.

As Ardem said, the Phantom God that was supposed the Sephiroth in resetting the world and bringing new life, attained Ardem's long life suffering experience will end up being the Qliphoth who seek nothing but destruction of everything.

Come to think of it... given that we got a Persona 5 collab with this game, and given what I know of that game's plot/ending... you think that maybe them doing this was deliberate? Adding a fight with "God", I mean.

Especially since Persona 5 has you beating up another Abrahamic deity called Yaldabaoth who is also seen as "God" in some of those cultures, and how close HIS arena looks to the one that Zephyros has.

Also, about Zephyros being "Sephiroth"... I totally said that earlier, but not a one of you believed me. Why is it that when you guys say it, it's all cool and awesome, but when I say it it's basically treated as me just saying baseless bullshit? I mean, I don't WANT to pretend that you guys just hate any ideas/suggestions/theories that I come up with simply because I'm the one who came up with them... but when shit like this happens it's kinda hard for me not to.

PSO2 Earth God is definitely based on the abrahamic lore with Adam and Ives being a presence and Adam calling God his Father, while Mother....i'm guessing she's the Mother Goddess/Earth Mother equivelant?

The story of Earth for the player character has ended, but the threat remains. What's left is a colossal phenomenon that humans will have to overcome it with the aid of ARKS, with the Mother Clusters/Earth Guide probably work together trying to stop Esca Deus from materializing continuously. Even if this whole thing had nothing to do with the Oracle from another point of view, this shit wouldn't have started if Photoners get their shit together and not throwing dangerous stuff randomly into another dimension. The current Oracle, originated from their creators who started this mess have this sense of responsibility to deal with whatever their creators started.

I'm wondering what's the next horrifying Photoner trash we'd discover in the next Episode.

My wording on that comment (specifically, "tank the story harder") was more in line with how Episode 4's story made people quit, and turned loafhero into a constantly ranting pessimistic droll that gives off an aura that makes me more and more depressed every time he ends up being cynical.

I mean, he's not ENTIRELY wrong... but he DOES come off as a bit of a jaded asshole with regards to his critique. Granted, he's allowed that luxury (since denying him that would also mean I could be denied that luxury as well), but I'm wary is all. And if Episode 5 doesn't make him quit, I'll be genuinely surprised - because SEGA seems to come off like they can only continue to piss people off in regards to their mainline IPs (inb4 they become a second Aksys and are reduced to the feeble status of 'publisher').

Aww~ You noticed.

See, loaf, this shit right here is why nobody likes you. Or at least, why I don't.

But then again, you probably knew that and didn't give a shit either way.

loafhero
Apr 12, 2017, 01:07 AM
In a way, the ending isn't all that happy because Earth Guide, the group that was actively trying to save Earth from total control, was completely screwed over by their asshole leader and are left in eternal suffering as Phantom Angels until ARKS mercy kills them while Mother Cluster, the ones that tried to control Earth and actively did harm to cities, are rewarded with being able to continue functioning until Aratron dies from old age.

Honestly, I just don't see the point in Ardem turning his people into abominations for the sake of "evolution" if his end game was to make someone else do all the "evolution" work for him.

It's not really a bad thing, since -most- people who did bad things get their just desserts.

Except for Och who, more or less, committed terrorism with her Maxwells suicide bombing buildings in Vegas.... but that's okay because she's a cute anime girl with bright coloured hair so therefore, she deserves "redemption" and to be potentially shipped with a dude that tried to shoot her to death. Dirty old men not named Aratron? They either live long enough to be reincarnated as Drago Deadlion or becoming Phaleg's slave (which, depending on how you see it, might not be a terribly bad thing).

Hagito? Well, his Yamato almost levelled Tokyo and he did bitch slap Kohri... wait, what am I saying? The guy should be rewarded for all of that!

See, loaf, this shit right here is why nobody likes you. Or at least, why I don't.

Its, okay. The feeling is mutual ;-)

Altiea
Apr 12, 2017, 01:19 AM
Man, is everyone going to attack each other over this whole EP4 debacle? Seriously, we all know the story is pretty bad, but it's not worth fighting over.

Or maybe I personally just don't think it's worth fighting over. In that case, you can have at it, I guess.

Vatallus
Apr 12, 2017, 01:31 AM
Eh, we know the story sucked but I guess just let them do it.

I honestly just ignore the wall of text because most of the time it is misguided and wrong anyway.

Renvalt
Apr 12, 2017, 02:05 AM
Its, okay. The feeling is mutual ;-)

Even if you dislike me, I still think what you're saying is correct. Really, this whole Episode has a whole host of things I DIDN'T like about it - namely how they continue to trash the formula for fields while ignoring all prior content and never really streamlining it (which would make progression a lot smoother).

In a way, it kinda reminds me of Mabinogi in some regards - particularly the Shakespeare Generations (most notably the last one) and Saga II, both due to how "anime as fuck" they both were. Heck, I don't believe even THAT franchise ever truly escaped its anime tropefest bug, and that one used to be loved for having something of a good story (in addition to other things).

PSO2 is going down a similar path, so it makes me wonder if EP5 is when they finally get their shit together and revamp all the stuff from prior episodes, or if we're on board for one more Episode of drollish bullcrap.

P.S. If they truly are doing Medieval Fantasy next Episode, we'd best pray that it doesn't hit the level of Danmachi/Re:Zero/SAO bullshit - because at that point I'll just be playing for the sake of seeing what they add (and how low I sink) before I do end up quitting.

Man, is everyone going to attack each other over this whole EP4 debacle? Seriously, we all know the story is pretty bad, but it's not worth fighting over.

Or maybe I personally just don't think it's worth fighting over. In that case, you can have at it, I guess.

It's not the fact that the Episode is bad. It's just that the haters of it have just been permeating this aura of "PSO2 is doomed, it has fallen to the anime bug, yadda yadda yadda" and said aura's pessimistic vibe just brings everyone down - myself most of all, as I'm probably the most sensitive to it.

I just dislike the cynical way loafhero came about in addressing his issues with the story in this one (even though I'm most likely a hypocrite in saying this, because I both agree with what he said and believe I would've done something similar were this an Episode with a story that ground my gears - which EP4 didn't fully succeed at doing).

Zeroem
Apr 12, 2017, 02:09 AM
In a way, the ending isn't all that happy because Earth Guide, the group that was actively trying to save Earth from total control, was completely screwed over by their asshole leader and are left in eternal suffering as Phantom Angels until ARKS mercy kills them while Mother Cluster, the ones that tried to control Earth and actively did harm to cities, are rewarded with being able to continue functioning until Aratron dies from old age.

Honestly, I just don't see the point in Ardem turning his people into abominations for the sake of "evolution" if his end game was to make someone else do all the "evolution" work for him.

On the contrary, it is a happy ending. While Earth Guide shambles, Aratron did takeover Earth Guide's role and reforming Mother Cluster at the same time. Also, it should be clear that someone would do Ardem's work of giving Earth "Paradigm Shift". Isn't it aether's M.O since day one? Turning someone's imagination into reality?

If you imagine a god, then a god should appeared. Whether it was corrupted or not is another issue.

Except for Och who, more or less, committed terrorism with her Maxwells suicide bombing buildings in Vegas.... but that's okay because she's a cute anime girl with bright coloured hair so therefore, she deserves "redemption" and to be potentially shipped with a dude that tried to shoot her to death. Dirty old men not named Aratron? They either live long enough to be reincarnated as Drago Deadlion or becoming Phaleg's slave (which, depending on how you see it, might not be a terribly bad thing).

Hagito? Well, his Yamato almost levelled Tokyo and he did bitch slap Kohri... wait, what am I saying? The guy should be rewarded for all of that!

- Aratron is by far the only one from Mother Cluster that did not directly harm Earthlings. From the start, he's working for Earth's best interest. He stick with his ideals, and stick with it to the end. He even reform Mother Cluster and take over Earth Guide's role as his part to 'see Mother's action to the very end'.
- If.you pay attention, Hagito do a lot of charity after a sudden change of heart.(and the reason why Kohri need to re-do her financial report)
- No rebuttal to Och. she did went scott-free.

Altiea
Apr 12, 2017, 02:20 AM
Someone suggested on the es thread that they should get the es writers on the main game. Like, really, es actually cares about its characters and spends a good chunk of time giving them actual character development and stuff while interweaving an actually interesting plot into it. Hell, there's a Side Story mode dedicated to developing characters. Why can't we have that?

yoshiblue
Apr 12, 2017, 02:40 AM
Someone suggested on the es thread that they should get the es writers on the main game. Like, really, es actually cares about its characters and spends a good chunk of time giving them actual character development and stuff while interweaving an actually interesting plot into it. Hell, there's a Side Story mode dedicated to developing characters. Why can't we have that?

Es, from what little I know of it, seems more like a fun little side project and takes up fewer resources. I doubt there is a lot of pressure being pressed down on it. So I would guess they have a bit more freedom in what they want to do with it. Maybe less executive meddling too, or maybe since they only have chip creation to worry about, there are more people that can focus on the story in general.

Vatallus
Apr 12, 2017, 02:46 AM
I still can't watch the cutscenes in the lastest story quest... but I shouldn't be surprised. There was no actual update this maint. I really wonder what this new story quest offers in terms of graphics/coding that nothing else in the game seems to offer.

GPU monitoring says I'm only running at 55c and 30% load during it. Nothing spikes, so it has to be a texture issue. I just have no clue why it is only present in the new quest and only a problem when in a cutscene that involves the ruins or tree. But my GPU is being forced to recover itself.

/shrug

loafhero
Apr 12, 2017, 03:05 AM
On the contrary, it is a happy ending. While Earth Guide shambles, Aratron did takeover Earth Guide's role and reforming Mother Cluster at the same time. Also, it should be clear that someone would do Ardem's work of giving Earth "Paradigm Shift". Isn't it aether's M.O since day one? Turning someone's imagination into reality?

I dunno. Its not just that EG is in shambles but their members are left in a state of suffering until someone destroys their Phantom forms. Like, what the hell did these guys do to deserve such a ridiculously awful fate? What about their families? Is Enga going to do anything about it? He's the last surviving member of EG as far as I know. Sure, I have no doubt that Aratron might do some good but we're left with a very vague idea on what exactly he will actually do. Its a clear case of "Esoteric Happy Ending (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EsotericHappyEnding)"; the tone is bright and happy (to a nauseating degree) but because certain unpleasant aspects are left ignored just for the sake of a "happy ending", its a hard sell.

And yeah, bringing things into physical form because some random person had weird thoughts is what Aether does but Deus Esca only came into form because Ardem had to acquire a lot of power (Mother's essence) and sacrifice his body to do so. It wouldn't be possible for someone to do Ardem's work without meeting those specific requirements. So, I still stand by that Ardem turning his people into monsters was rather pointless since his actual plan to evolve humanity didn't really require that he turn his people into monsters but to summon a superpowered being to do that for him. Even more hilarious, Deus Esca didn't even want to bother with "evolving" the current humanity. He was going to destroy the current humanity and replace it with a brand new humanity. That isn't evolution in the slightest, but rather, the exact opposite.

- Aratron is by far the only one from Mother Cluster that did not directly harm Earthlings. From the start, he's working for Earth's best interest. He stick with his ideals, and stick with it to the end. He even reform Mother Cluster and take over Earth Guide's role as his part to 'see Mother's action to the very end'.
- If.you pay attention, Hagito do a lot of charity after a sudden change of heart.(and the reason why Kohri need to re-do her financial report)

I got no problem with Aratron. Like you said, he's the only one that didn't do any kind of harm to Earth unless you count not stopping Herbert from murdering Bethor through "death by JoJo reference". Hagito's sudden "change of heart" is something I'm taking with a grain of salt as there are hints that his Yamato (or possibly the Musashi) will be making a comeback in a future update.

I'm on board with this. The story writing and attention to developing side characters? Yeah, sure. Just keep es's character designer as far away as possible.

Altiea
Apr 12, 2017, 05:40 AM
I'm on board with this. The story writing and attention to developing side characters? Yeah, sure. Just keep es's character designer as far away as possible.

So what's your beef with the character designs, anyway? I happen to like Bruno and Dante, as their looks speak volumes of their characters without being overdesigned. Only the core cast is done in-house; if you're talking about the Weaponoids, those are typically outsourced to other illustrators.

Renvalt
Apr 12, 2017, 06:38 AM
So what's your beef with the character designs, anyway? I happen to like Bruno and Dante, as their looks speak volumes of their characters without being overdesigned. Only the core cast is done in-house; if you're talking about the Weaponoids, those are typically outsourced to other illustrators.

I actually think he's referring to Gene's latest outfit change - which is apparently done for no reason other than appeasing the fappage demands of the general Japanese male public. That, or the recycled and recolored Falz Angel that makes even Chinese plagiarists look innocent of their crimes (which they totally ain't). Or that Lord looks like a generic shonen anime badguy?

I mean, because it can't be the Weaponoid ballot winners - those were done by notable artists outside of SEGA's direct employ, so they can't exactly bring them on except through a contract or something (like with Tony Taka's involvement with the Shining series). Then again, that IS a legit concern that I agree with Loaf on, because the biggest complaint I found the haters to have was that it seemed too close to a generic harem anime (which PSO2's own anime was guilty as hell of) - and loaf (not to mention myself as well) would love it if the next Episode had none of that, because nine times out of ten the story's a bloody incoherent mess only meant to, again, appease the boners of the Japanese male public (maybe even the sexual desires of Japan's females, but let's be honest - most women are total iron maidens IRL).

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 12, 2017, 07:41 AM
I actually think he's referring to Gene's latest outfit change - which is apparently done for no reason other than appeasing the fappage demands of the general Japanese male public. ?

Because.....photons...

Despite the fan service.....I preferred her original outfit more than the "photons absorption is better with less restricting" outfit

loafhero
Apr 12, 2017, 08:26 AM

Well, at least to me, most of them look like really bad OCs from Deviantart. The biggest offender of this being this Lord guy and hooo boy, does this character scream "OC edgelord". Like wow! The design is so bad that its good. I haven't laughed so hard at such a terrible character design in a long time. The emo highlight hair on that character being the biggest source of laughter from me.

The color scheme and the brightness of the characters outfits almost makes me wanna put bleach on my eyes. Levi and Phel's design? *vomit* Dante's spiked collars? Seriously, bro?

I have a beef with Gene for the same reason I have a beef with Matoi; an erotic body and clothing but with a personality that's cute and moe-oriented, which clashes horribly. I still put Matoi above Gene because I like Matoi's voice more (Satomi Sato's voice is angelic) while Gene's voice makes me wanna strangle the life out of her and the only reason I still put up with Gene in the lobby is cause I really want that badass dragon-style weapon camo she's offering. I mean, I like boobs as much as the next guy but Gene is a horrific example. Better examples of a big boob character designs in PSO2 that I like are Patty and Phaleg.

I'm okay with Bruno and Annette, though.

Lyrise
Apr 12, 2017, 11:37 AM
Because.....photons...

Despite the fan service.....I preferred her original outfit more than the "photons absorption is better with less restricting" outfit

The latest character side story with Gene hints at why she's using Stellar Innocent again. Her needing to do a better job absorbing photons with a less restricting outfit has nothing to do with her actually needing to absorb photons more efficiently above the norm. If you finish the story with her chip maxed out, her line to you is that she wants you to teach her how to do a better job at it - insinuating that she's was never proficient at absorbing photons as she would like to be to begin with (makes ssense, she's a weaponoid, not a natural living being - the rules might actually change for artificial beings, even half of a weaponoid). she's basically using the outfit (of which is still somewhat embarassed by wearing) to make up for her inability to absorb photons well.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 12, 2017, 01:37 PM
The latest character side story with Gene hints at why she's using Stellar Innocent again. Her needing to do a better job absorbing photons with a less restricting outfit has nothing to do with her actually needing to absorb photons more efficiently above the norm. If you finish the story with her chip maxed out, her line to you is that she wants you to teach her how to do a better job at it - insinuating that she's was never proficient at absorbing photons as she would like to be to begin with (makes ssense, she's a weaponoid, not a natural living being - the rules might actually change for artificial beings, even half of a weaponoid). she's basically using the outfit (of which is still somewhat embarassed by wearing) to make up for her inability to absorb photons well.

Fair enough.....I can take that.

Altiea
Apr 12, 2017, 02:29 PM
Well, at least to me, most of them look like really bad OCs from Deviantart. The biggest offender of this being this Lord guy and hooo boy, does this character scream "OC edgelord". Like wow! The design is so bad that its good. I haven't laughed so hard at such a terrible character design in a long time. The emo highlight hair on that character being the biggest source of laughter from me.

The color scheme and the brightness of the characters outfits almost makes me wanna put bleach on my eyes. Levi and Phel's design? *vomit* Dante's spiked collars? Seriously, bro?

I have a beef with Gene for the same reason I have a beef with Matoi; an erotic body and clothing but with a personality that's cute and moe-oriented, which clashes horribly. I still put Matoi above Gene because I like Matoi's voice more (Satomi Sato's voice is angelic) while Gene's voice makes me wanna strangle the life out of her and the only reason I still put up with Gene in the lobby is cause I really want that badass dragon-style weapon camo she's offering. I mean, I like boobs as much as the next guy but Gene is a horrific example. Better examples of a big boob character designs in PSO2 that I like are Patty and Phaleg.

I'm okay with Bruno and Annette, though.

Just saying, you'll never get a Gram within a reasonable amount of time without farming the Chip Fragment 2017 Special Quest in es. 3 Gold Fragments per character per day in the main game is a joke.

The only design I really have to say no to is Levi, who is all kinds of bad. I do agree that Lord is too much edgelord (no pun intended) and Gene is a bit too pandering, but I can otherwise tolerate the cast. At least their characters are interesting (except maybe Lord, who is basically a Ardem/Loser combination, but not as shitty as Ardem).

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 12, 2017, 03:17 PM
I actually liked Levi and Phel's outfit..... Dante's outfit was the one I was meh for....Lord obviously screamed some type of Falz............ Bruno has swag for days.... Annette.......goth(ish?) attire........More....typical lil boy outfit in the summer time...... Gene......gene is just lovable but wow did they fan service the hell out of her xD

and Seraphy.....well seraphy can do no wrong lol