PDA

View Full Version : SEGA put out a survey. Our chance to be heard.

Akaimizu
Feb 29, 2016, 04:08 PM
Sega's survey is here and yes for non-Japanese speakers.

Warning: Don't click the link below until you are ready to take the survey. It is set up to only allow you to take it once. Further visits using the same browser will say you already took the test.

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6153476587f

Seems this is one of the first times they made a gesture to hear our likes and requests.
Something rather unheard of for nearly two decades.

Anyway, I fully answered the survey and put in my thoughts. Let's just say I fail the Internet apathy test. I guess I'm forever a person that cares about something.

I'm putting it here because while off-topic from PSO, it is every bit as on topic when it comes to SEGA and everything PSO concerning its future.

While I'm not happy about the amount of it that asks about Mobile, it does allow room to voice a lot of opinions and or concerns.

That's it. Take it or leave it. I'm not specifically asking or demanding people to take action, but putting it there for people to see how they can.

yoshiblue
Feb 29, 2016, 04:15 PM
I put in my 2¢

Sp-24
Feb 29, 2016, 04:43 PM
Is "Japan-only" an adjective?

Anduril
Feb 29, 2016, 04:58 PM
The emphasis on mobile is definitely representative of the shift SEGA-Sammy outlined in that restructuring press release from last year.

For reference: Notice of Implementation of Structure Reform in SEGA Corporation (https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20150130_segareform_e_final.pdf)

Orange_Coconut
Feb 29, 2016, 05:15 PM
A lot of that was focused on mobile gaming... so I don't know. I'm not exactly a big mobile gamer. While I understand that the mobile gaming market is huge, I really don't enjoy games on my mobile device (whether it be tablet or phone) as much as I do on devices made to play games like the 3DS or the Vita.

That being said, I filled it out. Not sure how much good it'll actually do.

landman
Mar 1, 2016, 03:25 AM
I bitched about PSO2 Episode 4 plot/setting crappiness, yeah, useless in this survey, I just wanted to vent lol

They though I was actually a mobile player just because I answered positively on the platform and made me answer a lot of extra questions, in the end I was negative on everything and I had to ad "I only log daily into PSO2ES to get stuff for PSO2" lol

SilkaN
Mar 1, 2016, 09:35 AM
I wrote about PSO2 being fun because I like sci-fi settings and then bitched about EP4's slife of life... xD

Told them that mobile games are fine if they are spinoffs that appeal to casual gamers and that they never should turn their franchises into mobile only, like some other developers did.

Oh, and I wished for more JRPGs (with Jap audio of course) and praised Seaman for its originality.

aidon
Mar 2, 2016, 10:06 PM
I bitched about Sega leaving it's fan-base behind, ya and about some other stuff.

Noblewine
Mar 2, 2016, 11:30 PM
I really doubt sega is even going to listen to anyone. Do they honestly believe switching to mobil phones is going to solve their money woes. What a lame excuse to ditch console market. They are lazy.

Akaimizu
Mar 3, 2016, 09:58 AM
I really doubt sega is even going to listen to anyone. Do they honestly believe switching to mobil phones is going to solve their money woes. What a lame excuse to ditch console market. They are lazy.

We all have doubts. We had nearly 2 decades to raise our doubts. Still, the fact SEGA even decided to do this is at least some sign of them doing something different than they have. Whether they listen or not is up to them, but it certainly will not help their reputation (and possibly burn more bridges) if they don't. So yeah, this is at least them sticking their neck out so I'll participate given there's really nothing to lose on our part.

Outrider
Mar 3, 2016, 02:29 PM

Well, for example: Konami profits are up by 159% thanks to mobile games, cancellations (http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/08/07/konami-profits-are-up-by-159-thanks-to-mobile-games-cancellations/)

I'm just saying: who knows if Sega will see the same response, but you're being actively ignorant of the realities of the marketplace at this point.

blace
Mar 3, 2016, 03:55 PM
They're already flooding the mobile market with games. I can only see that it's not working too well for them on the Google Play store when it comes to reviews, but that being said they have plenty of downloads. Who knows how much they're profiting from that market.

At least with this survey, it's life line of sorts and having that option to voice yourself is better than ranting blindly. This site being as it is, there probably wouldn't be that many opinions flying at Sega when it's not much to do with PSO2 as of late.

Outrider
Mar 3, 2016, 06:47 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-game-division-revenue-rises-slightly-but-comp/1100-6429349/

According to their last revenue report, they're down but it's largely due to the packaged (read: console retail) business. Sounds like the games that are doing well are their mobile titles and digital titles like PSO2.

(Which certainly makes you wonder why PSO2 hasn't released in the US, but that would be beating a dead horse with another dead horse.)

I think it's good to take the survey and show your support for the parts of Sega's output that you enjoy, but a man can only see the go-to adolescent gamer complaint of "they're stupid for switching to mobile" and "developers are lazy" before he's gotta say something. I'm only human, after all.

Noblewine
Mar 3, 2016, 09:22 PM
but a man can only see the go-to adolescent gamer complaint of "they're stupid for switching to mobile" and "developers are lazy" before he's gotta say something. I'm only human, after all.

You rang? =x

Outrider I'm skeptical for a reason so maybe my attitude will change based on how well they do because of this decision. The results will change my opinion.

Keilyn
Mar 4, 2016, 12:51 AM
Companies make the choices to satisfy their targeted shareholders. What makes them happy is actually making the value of the shares go up. I can be a customer a buy a product, but since I am not a shareholder, I don't count... Simple as that.

I just hope whatever decision they make improves them. ;)

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2016, 09:35 AM
Companies make the choices to satisfy their targeted shareholders. What makes them happy is actually making the value of the shares go up. I can be a customer a buy a product, but since I am not a shareholder, I don't count... Simple as that.

I know. And this is something every company has been going through, not just SEGA. It's actually a part of a big problem which really escalated in the last decade or so. Companies driven by Shareholders, not by consumers. And to a big degree, across the market, we've seen examples of a new breakdown in Capitalism. Shareholders vs. Consumers. To a degree, it takes things back to a Scrooge kind of years where the rich few control a company so much that it is willing to throw quality and customer satisfaction under the bus, in order to satisfy the wallets.

Or for those Abe's Odyssey fans. Some have become "Rupture Farms".

Now it works well if Shareholders they have, care about the long-term customer satisfaction and want attempts to avoid long term name brand damage. Companies got big (in the first place) by their reputation for satisfying customers, but a number of young shareholders have crept in only thinking about short-term gains. This, is the brunt of the move to the mobile market people. They feel that their customers are *guaranteed* and don't care about long-term name brand damage. This is kind of true for companies like Cable Companies, in the U.S., where they regulate ridiculous prices for the service, to maximize gain, while (in most parts of the nation) being the *only* choice within an area. In short, they operate localized Monopolies for something that has become a rather necessary utility people need to operate in our current business climate.

We can only hope that certain companies, in the past, who really did tank based on the damage of their brand (doing this very thing of screwing customers for the few extra shareholder bucks) may actually wake up other companies. In the west, it helps that they don't have so much a Pachinko market to jump into. But we do have, in some cases, monopolies or cartels which remove proper competition.

We can only hope that more companies, that care about the long term life of the company, remember what got them there; and that still believe that the constant shares-increase, always satisfy the short-term speedy gains avenue has a short fuse, is non-sustainable, and when things eventually blow up in their face, they could possibly put themselves in a place they can never recover. Very much like a lot of the triple-A market is suffering from.

Why we get so many games now dividing content, or releasing plain unfinished (Full releases, which are actually early access Alphas or Betas). The short-term growth race is cannibalizing itself and those going for it get more hated as a company. So as much as people think (why not just go for the shareholder route and screw the consumer, they'll buy anyway?) people forget that all they'll become is another Zygna. A company which suffered when people got fed up and ends up with crazy losses and a burnt reputation that's nearly impossible to climb up from.

TLDR version: Understood. This is an issue many companies have been going through for the past decade or so. Shareholders vs. Customers. We hope failures of the past (including Zygna), who chased the unsustainable quick yearly Shareholder increase at cost of consumer reputation, wakes the industry up that long term goals are still important.

Noblewine
Mar 4, 2016, 02:56 PM
I know. And this is something every company has been going through, not just SEGA. It's actually a part of a big problem which really escalated in the last decade or so. Companies driven by Shareholders, not by consumers. And to a big degree, across the market, we've seen examples of a new breakdown in Capitalism. Shareholders vs. Consumers. To a degree, it takes things back to a Scrooge kind of years where the rich few control a company so much that it is willing to throw quality and customer satisfaction under the bus, in order to satisfy the wallets.

Or for those Abe's Odyssey fans. Some have become "Rupture Farms".

Now it works well if Shareholders they have, care about the long-term customer satisfaction and want attempts to avoid long term name brand damage. Companies got big (in the first place) by their reputation for satisfying customers, but a number of young shareholders have crept in only thinking about short-term gains. This, is the brunt of the move to the mobile market people. They feel that their customers are *guaranteed* and don't care about long-term name brand damage. This is kind of true for companies like Cable Companies, in the U.S., where they regulate ridiculous prices for the service, to maximize gain, while (in most parts of the nation) being the *only* choice within an area. In short, they operate localized Monopolies for something that has become a rather necessary utility people need to operate in our current business climate.

We can only hope that certain companies, in the past, who really did tank based on the damage of their brand (doing this very thing of screwing customers for the few extra shareholder bucks) may actually wake up other companies. In the west, it helps that they don't have so much a Pachinko market to jump into. But we do have, in some cases, monopolies or cartels which remove proper competition.

We can only hope that more companies, that care about the long term life of the company, remember what got them there; and that still believe that the constant shares-increase, always satisfy the short-term speedy gains avenue has a short fuse, is non-sustainable, and when things eventually blow up in their face, they could possibly put themselves in a place they can never recover. Very much like a lot of the triple-A market is suffering from.

Why we get so many games now dividing content, or releasing plain unfinished (Full releases, which are actually early access Alphas or Betas). The short-term growth race is cannibalizing itself and those going for it get more hated as a company. So as much as people think (why not just go for the shareholder route and screw the consumer, they'll buy anyway?) people forget that all they'll become is another Zygna. A company which suffered when people got fed up and ends up with crazy losses and a burnt reputation that's nearly impossible to climb up from.

TLDR version: Understood. This is an issue many companies have been going through for the past decade or so. Shareholders vs. Customers. We hope failures of the past (including Zygna), who chased the unsustainable quick yearly Shareholder increase at cost of consumer reputation, wakes the industry up that long term goals are still important.

I never knew it as that bad thought I started to notice a change in games around 2000. Very insightful.

I think the customer (aka the gamer is more important) than their shareholder. The quality of the game seems to suffer sometimes because of how a game was rushed and that's okay?

SilkaN
Mar 4, 2016, 03:14 PM
I think the customer (aka the gamer is more important) than their shareholder. The quality of the game seems to suffer sometimes because of how a game was rushed and that's okay?

It's not okay but unfortunately as it is, people are still going to buy their products.
To be honest, it seems like most gamers have unwillingly accepted the existence of unfinished games, season passes and day 1 DLC. It's only the vocal minority that speaks up and demands change, but if their practises resulted in massive losses, they would've reconsidered their business strategies long ago.

blace
Mar 4, 2016, 03:16 PM
Shareholders have more power than you think, they do make some decisions regarding the direction of the company and what will line their pockets while the company tries to keep their sharholders and making enough of a profit to appease them.

Akaimizu
Mar 4, 2016, 04:48 PM
It does. Right now, the issue is that the Triple A market can't really sustain itself well, and it knows it. The hardware, as companies like Nintendo warned, is advancing faster than companies can afford to utilize expensive engines, and the hollywood-level presentation workforce, to drive them. Technically, consoles like the Wii U have hardware which is more in line with what those companies can really afford to make while appeasing shareholder stock, as opposed to what they could make by spending more dollars than they can afford to manage shareholder stock.

It's this level of complication which is actually above the heads of the average gamer. And those trying to balance a clear profitability of the industry without stretching themselves too far, are actually getting gamers ANGRY at them for not falling in line. (We want our ultra realistic-looking games, and if we aren't seeing a major step up we're not interested. Even if the gameplay is stale or horrible, we want them spending all that extra money.) And when their *better* industry tanks, because of their *infinite knowledge*, I'm going to be around for the ultra "Told ya so", after all that time of them telling folks like me, I don't know what I'm talking about. Even though the obvious evidence is mounting.

Basically, the gimmicks sold by the likes of EA, or Ubisoft, have controlled the market kind of hook, line, and sinker. Thus the growth of the controlling casual market seduced by graphics and very little importance on gameplay depth to reward them with more graphics. Thus a more-involved game could be treated the same, to them, as a simplistic arcade game. They want less up-front costs, but like the short-sighted shareholders, don't really care if the title actually costs them way more in the long run. They figure if less is coming out of me, at once, I'm saving money. This works as long as they really don't play games. Those who are core gamers tricked into this method are actually spending money out the butt. More than they have before, for less content, or (as many have committed to) content that is consumable and gone forever once you used it. Thus, they can pay hundreds of dollars on a game they will never ever be able to come back to. Sometimes with a total life of less than 2 years.

This is what many of us, who actually observed this practice, have been saying for years. Though, often to deaf ears. It does some, in recent days, more and more people are starting to figure out what is happening and why it sucks. However, some still don't see why certain companies, selling games more towards the old methods, are still giving them good value. They are turning their nose up at it, and avoiding it, to even find out that it is better than the *new way* they've been suckered into.

And all of this, is why certain parts of the Indie market has kind of grown. They're clearly working within better cost limitations while being able to afford to put in some real worthy and eye-opening gameplay in there. (Of course, they're being attacked a bit by some open markets like Steam, being saturated by terrible cash grab "developers" flooding their market which more and more tarnishes the Indie space). The same stuff which killed the old video game market, which prompted the idea of why you needed curation (which spawned it for the original NES) in order to redeem it.

Even worse, the one thing I keep saying about the Mobile Market. You can't take it with you. Unlike consoles, the mobile OS upgrades and pretty much nearly every piece of current software running on them, eventually can't run anymore. Mobile Upgrades don't give a hoot about the software it is running on. They expect every developer, for every upgrade, to retool their software so that it still runs. Developers aren't going to support their finished software like that, and many don't feel they can afford to or feel it is worth the effort. It's much harder to hold onto a title you already bought on mobile. There's a lack of legacy potential. It does justify the cheaper costs on mobile, to a degree, but many gamers compare that cost to the cost on a non-mobile hardware, thinking it is the same. It isn't. On a console or dedicated game machine, that same piece of software, as long as you have it to install, or stored on a memory card, or transferred to a drive or PC, unless Online-only, will be playable 20 years from now. On mobile, if you're doing the typical upgrade path, you pray that you'd be able to come back to it 2, 3, or 4 years from now. All of this, I experienced myself, and you wonder why people can be wary about buying anything on mobile. For me, it's kind of killed my interest not only on buying much on mobile, but especially paying any IAP.

I don't know. Maybe it takes an old gamer, who witnessed this industry first hand, from the beginning, to see this. But alas. Young whippersnappers always know MORE than you do. That's always their mantra.

Outrider
Mar 4, 2016, 06:20 PM
Oh, there's still a world in which dedicated game developers can keep making the games we all grew up playing... they're just going to have to deal with the fact that they're either going to have to go all-in and take on huge amounts of risk - which only a few publishers can still do these days - or accept that they're going to cater to a smaller portion of the marketplace. So, sure: Capcom or Nintendo or whoever can pour tens of millions of dollars into a single game and take as many creative design risks as they want, but when you're spending that much money it's not hard to see why they may want to stick with tried and true designs and brands.

I'm not a fan of this line of thinking, but it is what it is.

The mobile business is far from a sure thing, but I also can't blame a company like Sega who has struggled in recent years from trying to make a go of it. They have expectations they have to meet and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to succeed in the non-casual marketplace UNLESS you're okay with a smaller business. Corporations are all about growth, so that's not really an easy pill to swallow for a lot of them.

Noblewine
Mar 4, 2016, 10:31 PM
It does. Right now, the issue is that the Triple A market can't really sustain itself well, and it knows it. The hardware, as companies like Nintendo warned, is advancing faster than companies can afford to utilize expensive engines, and the hollywood-level presentation workforce, to drive them. Technically, consoles like the Wii U have hardware which is more in line with what those companies can really afford to make while appeasing shareholder stock, as opposed to what they could make by spending more dollars than they can afford to manage shareholder stock.

It's this level of complication which is actually above the heads of the average gamer. And those trying to balance a clear profitability of the industry without stretching themselves too far, are actually getting gamers ANGRY at them for not falling in line. (We want our ultra realistic-looking games, and if we aren't seeing a major step up we're not interested. Even if the gameplay is stale or horrible, we want them spending all that extra money.) And when their *better* industry tanks, because of their *infinite knowledge*, I'm going to be around for the ultra "Told ya so", after all that time of them telling folks like me, I don't know what I'm talking about. Even though the obvious evidence is mounting.

Basically, the gimmicks sold by the likes of EA, or Ubisoft, have controlled the market kind of hook, line, and sinker. Thus the growth of the controlling casual market seduced by graphics and very little importance on gameplay depth to reward them with more graphics. Thus a more-involved game could be treated the same, to them, as a simplistic arcade game. They want less up-front costs, but like the short-sighted shareholders, don't really care if the title actually costs them way more in the long run. They figure if less is coming out of me, at once, I'm saving money. This works as long as they really don't play games. Those who are core gamers tricked into this method are actually spending money out the butt. More than they have before, for less content, or (as many have committed to) content that is consumable and gone forever once you used it. Thus, they can pay hundreds of dollars on a game they will never ever be able to come back to. Sometimes with a total life of less than 2 years.

This is what many of us, who actually observed this practice, have been saying for years. Though, often to deaf ears. It does some, in recent days, more and more people are starting to figure out what is happening and why it sucks. However, some still don't see why certain companies, selling games more towards the old methods, are still giving them good value. They are turning their nose up at it, and avoiding it, to even find out that it is better than the *new way* they've been suckered into.

And all of this, is why certain parts of the Indie market has kind of grown. They're clearly working within better cost limitations while being able to afford to put in some real worthy and eye-opening gameplay in there. (Of course, they're being attacked a bit by some open markets like Steam, being saturated by terrible cash grab "developers" flooding their market which more and more tarnishes the Indie space). The same stuff which killed the old video game market, which prompted the idea of why you needed curation (which spawned it for the original NES) in order to redeem it.

Even worse, the one thing I keep saying about the Mobile Market. You can't take it with you. Unlike consoles, the mobile OS upgrades and pretty much nearly every piece of current software running on them, eventually can't run anymore. Mobile Upgrades don't give a hoot about the software it is running on. They expect every developer, for every upgrade, to retool their software so that it still runs. Developers aren't going to support their finished software like that, and many don't feel they can afford to or feel it is worth the effort. It's much harder to hold onto a title you already bought on mobile. There's a lack of legacy potential. It does justify the cheaper costs on mobile, to a degree, but many gamers compare that cost to the cost on a non-mobile hardware, thinking it is the same. It isn't. On a console or dedicated game machine, that same piece of software, as long as you have it to install, or stored on a memory card, or transferred to a drive or PC, unless Online-only, will be playable 20 years from now. On mobile, if you're doing the typical upgrade path, you pray that you'd be able to come back to it 2, 3, or 4 years from now. All of this, I experienced myself, and you wonder why people can be wary about buying anything on mobile. For me, it's kind of killed my interest not only on buying much on mobile, but especially paying any IAP.

I don't know. Maybe it takes an old gamer, who witnessed this industry first hand, from the beginning, to see this. But alas. Young whippersnappers always know MORE than you do. That's always their mantra.

so stupid question when you meantioned share holders. Who are they? The consumer or someone else?

Oh, there's still a world in which dedicated game developers can keep making the games we all grew up playing... they're just going to have to deal with the fact that they're either going to have to go all-in and take on huge amounts of risk - which only a few publishers can still do these days - or accept that they're going to cater to a smaller portion of the marketplace. So, sure: Capcom or Nintendo or whoever can pour tens of millions of dollars into a single game and take as many creative design risks as they want, but when you're spending that much money it's not hard to see why they may want to stick with tried and true designs and brands.

I'm not a fan of this line of thinking, but it is what it is.

The mobile business is far from a sure thing, but I also can't blame a company like Sega who has struggled in recent years from trying to make a go of it. They have expectations they have to meet and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to succeed in the non-casual marketplace UNLESS you're okay with a smaller business. Corporations are all about growth, so that's not really an easy pill to swallow for a lot of them.

I guess that's the problem then, the risk/reward issue.

blace
Mar 4, 2016, 11:09 PM
so stupid question when you meantioned share holders. Who are they? The consumer or someone else?

I guess that's the problem then, the risk/reward issue.

Shareholders are people that invested, similar to or technically is stocks within a company. They have some control over decisions and what would make their shares worth more should they sell them off to others. The more a company is worth, the higher the cost of the share/stock.

Companies usually plan out how best to keep their holders with different business ideas and models, and with mobile being easily accessible by just about anyone, investors want a part of that money.

Keep in mind this is just a bare bones answer.

yoshiblue
Mar 5, 2016, 03:29 AM
Yeah, companies need people to fund their projects. If I remember correctly, some shareholders even get to go to board meetings and influence the decision of a project, or have a director work with their interests in mind. To get on the board though, you would need to have bought a lot of their shares.

Sp-24
Mar 5, 2016, 05:43 AM
It's sort of logical to see videogame companies interested in trying to expand to mobile market. Shareholder whims or not, a company as a business should be expected to grow and turn bigger profit if they want to look appealing to potential investors. And mobile market is an established infrastructure with millions of potential new consumers who already have all the necessary hardware. All you have to do is, like, make game.

Noblewine
Mar 7, 2016, 09:14 PM
Shareholders are people that invested, similar to or technically is stocks within a company. They have some control over decisions and what would make their shares worth more should they sell them off to others. The more a company is worth, the higher the cost of the share/stock.

Companies usually plan out how best to keep their holders with different business ideas and models, and with mobile being easily accessible by just about anyone, investors want a part of that money.

Keep in mind this is just a bare bones answer.

Its fine thanks blace.

lostinseganet
Mar 8, 2016, 07:39 PM
Please give hype for etertal champions that game was soo good

zandra117
Mar 8, 2016, 09:47 PM
I thought it was interesting that Border Break was listed in the survey

I informed them that I wasn't so interested in mobile, that I am a Phantasy Star fanatic, that I interact with Sonic's twitter, and that I identify as an attack helicopter :wacko:

wefwq
Mar 8, 2016, 10:30 PM
Second half of the survey suddenly going all-mobile question wtf :-?

[spoiler-box]
What is your gender identity? Optional - Write in here

??????[/spoiler-box]

SilkaN
Mar 9, 2016, 05:19 PM
[spoiler-box]

??????[/spoiler-box]

Well, some people identify themselves as bisexual undead dragon archers but are stuck in human bodies. Can't blame Sega for giving them a chance, too!

Sp-24
Mar 9, 2016, 08:53 PM
Second half of the survey suddenly going all-mobile question wtf :-?

[spoiler-box]

??????[/spoiler-box]
The correct answer was "attack helicopter" fyi

Akaimizu
Mar 10, 2016, 07:31 AM
The correct answer was "attack helicopter" fyi

But if you say that, then they'll just talk about your "Hind"!

(I'll take bad attack helicopter puns for 1000, Trebek)

yoshiblue
Mar 10, 2016, 08:12 AM
The correct answer is "Transcontinental Biplane" fyi

Fixed.

Noblewine
Mar 11, 2016, 06:33 PM
So has anyone got any news on whether sega is listening to us?

blace
Mar 11, 2016, 06:36 PM
These surveys usually stay on their end and we don't see what the overall consensus for the surveys they put out. Only their actions and whatever nees they're planning to put out will show what they're leaning towards.

Besides, if they did straight out gave the general consensus it would break the confidentiality of it.

Noblewine
Mar 11, 2016, 06:40 PM
So the only way to tell is by seeing how well they do? Bleh. That stinks.

Sp-24
Mar 11, 2016, 07:08 PM
Confidentiality means they won't publish your or my personal answers. They are still free to share the statistical results. Now, whether they'd want to show how many people agree that Sega makes good games and is innovative is a different matter entirely.

Though I'd still like to see the results, if for no other reason then to see what adjectives people describe Sega with.

blace
Mar 11, 2016, 08:07 PM
It would be a collection of colorful words if current times are any indicator.

Noblewine
Mar 11, 2016, 08:08 PM
Colorful you say? lol

landman
Mar 12, 2016, 03:23 AM
This is not a forum or a facebook vote, results are not and will not be public, they will just simplify the results and send them to a desk, that means that every rant you provably wrote on any section of the survey will only be read by an intern / grunt, the proper results, that is, some %s, will be sent to the people that ordered the survey and make decisions, those ones only care about numbers.

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Mar 12, 2016, 08:17 AM
Thanks for sharing, I was not expecting to be writing so much about Samba De Amigo and Seaman at 8AM on a Saturday.

Hope everyone else repped PSOW on the "Where did you hear about this?" question.

Akaimizu
Mar 12, 2016, 10:01 AM
I would, but I actually got this information elsewhere. I simply brought it to PSOW's attention. :)
Glad to see people enthusiastic about putting their 2 cents in. I tend to be on the lookout whenever it seems a company at least throws some kind of ear towards their fans. Whether it is fruitful or not is up to time, all I know is that this can be rather rare from many companies (especially video game ones).

I know when Nintendo had their Nintendo Club site, I was often putting stuff on there as requests and suggestions. That kind of moved onto Miiverse, and it does seem they do have a listen there. That lead to stuff like Minecraft, Captain Toad, Earthbound releases, a number of Nintendo Direct responses to Miiverse comments, and the like. So it seems there's at least some paying attention to those things.

Alas, this is SEGA, but it's been a blue moon since they asked us what we think. I always think it's important for every company to keep some sort of open channel to their customer base. It's the first and most important step to improve.

PhotonDrop
Mar 12, 2016, 12:25 PM
I am not pleased with how eager they were to ask about mobile devices.

landman
Mar 12, 2016, 01:47 PM
Alas, this is SEGA, but it's been a blue moon since they asked us what we think. I always think it's important for every company to keep some sort of open channel to their customer base. It's the first and most important step to improve.

On the contrary, this kind of stuff is a daily basis for community managers around the internet, in fact, putting a survey on twitter and asking your followers to answer it is kind of the easy way to do it, and I wouldn't be surprised if only half of the survey is real and all the other stuff was put there to get the fans happy to then answer the real stuff with a different mod.

The difference is that Sega lost most of their community managers last summer when they moved, and as far as I know there is only Ruby for the Sonic community and Sega Europe for everything else.

Akaimizu
Mar 12, 2016, 06:27 PM
On the contrary, this kind of stuff is a daily basis for community managers around the internet, in fact, putting a survey on twitter and asking your followers to answer it is kind of the easy way to do it, and I wouldn't be surprised if only half of the survey is real and all the other stuff was put there to get the fans happy to then answer the real stuff with a different mod.

The difference is that Sega lost most of their community managers last summer when they moved, and as far as I know there is only Ruby for the Sonic community and Sega Europe for everything else.

And that is part of what I was getting at. This is Sega, not just any community managers. It just seemed for years Sega of America was hardly ever listened to by the Japan branch. This deaf ears action has been going on for much longer than a year. We tried to get communication that hopefully would reach SOJ ears, but it seems they repaid that by shrinking the US branch smaller and smaller. This, on the other hand, looks more like something SOJ may actually look at. Only time will provide the real proof.

landman
Mar 13, 2016, 03:04 AM
You forget the survey was made by sega west, not sega japan... the west branch is responsible for the western market after all.