PDA

View Full Version : Article: Japanese Phatnasy Star Online hacked!!

gideon
Mar 2, 2001, 07:43 AM
faceless writes, "Gaming Age reports that "Some Japanese gamers have found a way to hack VMU files, and Sega is not at all happy.". The link to the entire story is here (http://cgi.gaming-age.com/gaming/news/news.pl?y=2001&m=3&nid=1-2.db) "
Faceless was the first to submit this hot topic. Hopefully Sega can put the smack down.

Mar 2, 2001, 10:20 AM
Well, they should have known it would happen sooner or later. No matter how hard you try there will always be someone that figures out how to cheat. The people that figure out the cheats are also rarely the people that actually cheat. Finding the cheat is more of a reward then the cheating itself. Hopefully this wont get entirely out of hand but I can already see servers where everyone has every special weapon and maxed stats. I must admit, that wouldnt be very fun.

ElisteHaute
Mar 2, 2001, 01:24 PM
I wish there was a way to expand the servers. You know, like making an apache module so other people could run their own PSO servers that would exclude the cheaters. But, that might breed an elitism of it's own. I can't imagine why you would cheat unless you really couldn't get the hang of the game to level up on your own.
You're right in saying that the people that figure out the cheats rarely cheat themselves. These code crackers seem like people who like challenges. It's a real challenge to learn how to crack into a game and cheating the game afterwards has no challenge at all so they'd probably avoid it.
Oh well, just thoughts.
=^_^=

Hunter
Mar 3, 2001, 05:55 AM
What i don't understand, is why not create a 'cheaters' status. same way your charecter has Dexterity,attack power etc etc status. and an established listing of 'set rooms' for cheaters. so for those that get
'flagged' as cheaters are able to get booted from the game 'in session' by other users... of course that would have to be a mod in the game directly. I think the best way would to segragate a room/blocks for those who wish to cheat. And those that have exceeded there Cheaters/field "what ever it's set to" are blocked from joining the other ships/blocks.. that make sense? in the end, everybody just wants to have fun... and it would ween the cheaters into actually caring about the charecters they build up.... :)

Omege12
Mar 5, 2001, 03:49 PM
American servers should watch out too. Because isn't using GameShark to boost your levels "illegally changing character data"? But I don't think SEGA would shut down the servers to nab a couple of cheaters...