PDA

View Full Version : Article: Help keep PSO World running!

gideon
Mar 18, 2001, 02:27 PM
God writes, "With the death of online advertising it's becoming harder and harder to keep a community site running. Especially one of PSO Worlds size. Things look grim on the horizon as we've smashed our bandwidth limit with much of the month remaining. Help support us and keep us running! Any donation amount is appreciated greatly.

Donate to us through Paypal! (https://secure.paypal.com/xclick/business=gideon%40tomeeboy.com&item_name=Support+PSO+World%21&return=http%3A//www.tomeeboy.com/pso/)
Donate to us through Amazon.com! (http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/pay/T28MPHQ4281UDW" alt="Click Here to Donate) "

Lem
Mar 18, 2001, 06:51 PM
Hey, everyone! Let's all "chip in" and keep PSO World alive! Send as much or as little as you can, and between the many thousands of us we can keep our favorite game community site going! There are 2500 of us registered users! Imagine if we all sent a dollar today! Just like in PSO, a little teamwork goes a long way to creating brilliant fun!
(BTW, no I don't work for PSO World, I just think it's a great site!) :-)

JediDeamon
Mar 18, 2001, 08:04 PM
I gave my 5 bucks

Mar 18, 2001, 11:50 PM
Have you ever thought of moving to a different server with no bandwidth limitations? My website is hosted at i-p.com and has no problems getting about 15,000 hits a week.

Mar 19, 2001, 01:56 AM
amen. This is a disturbing trend that I see of trying to get people to donate money to a friggin website. Don't get me wrong, I like this site too. But the last thing I'm going to do is start supporting this kind of practice. There ARE ways to keep a site running without resorting to this.

gideon
Mar 19, 2001, 09:25 AM
We recieve 80,000++ page views a day.
No free/bandwidth free sites can handle a site as large as PSO World. Although it would be nice :/

Mar 19, 2001, 11:45 AM
I have four sites, send me money too!
Duh. I run my sites for the love of it. It costs me about $50 a month but it's worth it.
With PSOWorld being a subsite of another (same owner or free space?) and using GPL scripts for maintenance, I dont see how the 'webmaster' can ask for money.
Things were so much nicer before the web went mainstream.

gideon
Mar 19, 2001, 02:24 PM
PSO World requires the bulk of our hosts resources. (If you recall the recent server upgrade purely for PSO World). Our new host costs around $150 a month. PSO World is responsible for this bill as it requires the bandwidth/etc. Please everyone dont be presumptious when it comes to this. It was a hard decision to add the donation information to the site. We would not have done it if it wasnt needed.

Mar 19, 2001, 08:09 PM
hey, just give us your address man. This amzon stuff and paypal stuff usually take like 15% or something. DOn't quote me on that, but just imagine that for every dollar that people do give you, amzon or whoever takes 15 cents.
Give us your address so we can mail the $$ to you and you get 100%

Lem
Mar 19, 2001, 08:27 PM
It's a shame that you think micropayments are a disturbing trend. To my mind, they are the only viable path forward to a commercial-free web.
Like another poster here, I miss the olden days of the web, before it was full of the same insulting, pandering, mind-numbing, sexually coercive Corporate commercial dreck that the TV airwaves are so clogged with.
The idea behind micropayments is that if people drop *literally* a few cents when they use a resource that they love, then that resource can continue without compromising itself.
Imagine a world where Wired magazine, or imdb, or PBS, or whoever, hadn't had to sell themselves out to Corporate suits who then just exploit their hard-won audience to try and sell more damn SUVs...
Just my 2 cents! (Gedditt?? he he he)

Mar 19, 2001, 09:24 PM
The problem is, I already drop plenty of money on an ISP as it is to use a resource called the internet. And I'm certainly not going to pay donation after donation to support the 20-30 sites I may visit on a weekly basis.
I agree, it sucks that sites can't pay for themselves like they used to in the 'golden age' of the internet, as it were. But that doesn't mean that you have to resort to a charity drive to keep things running. This is most certainly a disturbing trend because it is only the beginning of things far worse to come.

Mar 20, 2001, 10:15 AM
lol , I agree with ya . I really think if you go ahead and do one of these sites , you should know what your getting yourself into. Im not sending jack =) I Design sites for a living allday and everyday . Also this site is not that large to begin with , oh well . scam after scam after scam !

eXo
Dec 16, 2002, 07:24 PM
Yes i agree with you sites are not as cheap as many believe espeacially if you are recieving 80,000++ a day [b]WOW.[b] i also wish that the people who post complaints and leave them self as anonymous just stop complaining or at least have the guts to show there user names now im not one for conflict but those people are not being singled out to pay if they do they do :)if they dont they dont :( my point is that there is no need to get offened or defensive psoworld is [b]great [b]