PDA

View Full Version : Article: Sega gives up on SegaNet. Hands over ISP to Earthlink

watashiwa
Jul 22, 2001, 12:49 AM
Kamotz writes, "Well it looks like Sega has given up on SegaNet entirely. Sega is handing over the job to Eathlink as Sega's official ISP. Even though Earthlink is $21.99 a month, current SegaNet users will still pay the regular $19.99 fee. The full article can be found here (http://xbox.ign.com/news/36768.html)."

hirojin
Jul 22, 2001, 07:09 AM
actually this is a sign that sega wants to keep seganet flourishing b handing over sega net to earthlink, a very experienced isp, sega is ensuring that sega net users will have a secure isp and that sega net will actually have a future. this is also smart in antoher perspcetive earthlink offers beroaodband access which sega net will later utilize such as dsl and cabel m internet making the expericnce faster and ultimately more enjoyable for gamers

Thanatos
Jul 22, 2001, 10:34 AM
It won't help me in using MY COMPUTER'S connection to the Dreamcast.

Jul 22, 2001, 10:59 AM
Huh? Sega handed their ISP, which is SegaNet, over to earthlink. SegaNet is dead.

Jul 22, 2001, 12:18 PM
yeah now sega is a tard,first they give us pso great game but the v2 has 2 new levels bla bla etc big deal,it doesnt give you the cut char classes of the first and secondly they team up with the worlds most retarded isp,earthlinkwhich is famous for making u offers of crap merchandise for their software that has its own gui like aol but sucks,and when u try to call its like oh u have to get new cd ver.idiots sega is why not just go with aol so they can be all be assimilated into the aol-tw collective.

Jul 22, 2001, 02:28 PM
Cuz AOL has signed with Sony.

Jul 22, 2001, 03:20 PM
That's a good thing. Earthlink is FAAAAAAR better than AOL.

convoy_vigilante
Jul 22, 2001, 05:03 PM
Why is everyone so suprised, Sega has been giving up on everything they do. They are nothing but sellouts anymore.

QWERTY2000
Jul 22, 2001, 07:55 PM
Roger that.

Jul 22, 2001, 09:56 PM
hey, no need to be so harsh. segas always been fresh, since 198some. yes, they are floundering now, but theyve already represented. i was entirely satisfied with the old phantasy star series alone. i never expected pso, and it came out of nowhere and turned out to be awesome. so, whatev.. segas already done much good-

Jul 23, 2001, 08:12 PM
"Staying afloat" Do you think they wanted to
drop SegaNet? Oh sure, they spent over 1 million
dollars to start SegaNet only to cancel it just
to "sell out" (sell out to what, by the way?"
The reason Sega is ending the SegaNet ISP is
simple, it wasn't making money. In fact, I'd wager that Sega was LOSING money from it. Yes, yes, Sega has prematurely dropped many fo their
creations and conscepts, but not because they wanted to be pricks. They were just doing what they had to do to stay afloat. The thing is... I applaud Sega for taking risks, for daring to attempt what others say is impossible, for being the innovators. The biggest problem with much of
Sega's failed creations was that they were ahead of their time. The market wasn't ready for them and thus, they couldn't make money. With SegaNet, the only ISP created for gaming, the problem fundamentally is that there aren't enough people willing to pay for an ISP just for gaming to
make such an ISP profitable. Or at least not yet... Again, are Sega a bunch of jerks who take
pleasure is dissing their customers just because
they cancel something that isn't turning a profit
or costing hem money? Sorry to burst your bubble pal, but money doesn't grow on trees and people don't work for free. Sega IS a buisness after all. Though I must say, I know of no other game company that has taken as many risks and attempted the seemingly impossible for the betterment and enhancement of the gaming experience. Sure, a lot of these ideas didn't float, but at least they tried. And that's something very few companies can boast.
R.I.P. Sega Channel, Game Gear, Sega CD, Saturn,
32x, Sega gaming at Holiday Inns, VMU usage with coin-ops, etc... and now SegaNet
Simehiri

Jul 23, 2001, 09:58 PM
I dont know about that... Earthlink here in San Francisco (esp. DSL) is slow, unreliable, and the costumer service put me on hold for 2 hours on the first day i had problems hooking it up my DSL Modem.

Jul 23, 2001, 09:59 PM
True... very true... but that's the same i said about Aol too. Either way seems like they both has some problems.

Jul 24, 2001, 12:52 PM
>Why is everyone so suprised, Sega has been giving up on everything they do. They are nothing but sellouts anymore.
Thats just the kind of lazy, ignorant, arrogant comment that clogs up great sites like this. It worries me that people like you are allowed to breathe.

Jul 25, 2001, 09:31 AM
EARTH IS WAYYYY BAD YOUS GUYS BETTER WATCH YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS CAUSE EARTHLINK HAS BEEN KNOWN (FROM PAST EXPERIENCE WITH THE MEDLERS) THAT THEY WILL CHARGE YOU TWICE IN ONE MONTH,TSK TSK AND WELL YOU THINK IT IS EASY JUST TO CALL THEM UP AND SAY I WANT CANCELED SERIVICE,OH NO NO NO,THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT ITS CANCELED ON THE PHONE AND IF YOU DONT WATCH YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, THEY WILL STILL TAKE THE MONTHLY FEE OUT.SO TO EVERYONE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE..............NURSE NANAKO (>_<)

RazmaVI
Aug 9, 2001, 02:05 PM
Sega hates Dreamcast