PDA

View Full Version : Article: PSO has CRASHED: Day 2

Castelak
Sep 24, 2001, 01:44 PM
testtubebaby writes, "Due to the overwhelming response of angered and concerned gamers, Sega has issued this statement at the forefront of their 1-800-USA-SEGA tech line:
"If you are experiencing difficulties with your PSO Access and Serial Number please be aware that we are performing maintenance and will be restoring game access as soon as possible."
Waits to talk to operators has gone down significantly, from an hour on Sunday to five minutes today, as Sega has beefed up their tech personnel in order to appease the distraught masses.
"We are currently performing maintenance on the Phantasy Star Online servers. All I can say is that you can keep trying to log onto the servers," said April, a Sega.Net representative.
When asked about a time frame in which PSO servers might be up and running, and if the launch of PSOver.2 will be affected, Sega.Net's response was:
"We don't have that information as of now. I assume Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 will be running and unaffected by this."
One is left only to question, "Will PSOver.2 be open to these problems, and how will this affect Sega's pay-to-play strategy? Will consumers trust Sega to provide secure, reliable gaming entertainment?""
It's been confirmed that it is just a server maintenance...or so we hope. We'll keep you updated!

HedgehogtheSonic
Sep 24, 2001, 02:00 PM
It only took 29 hours for everyone to realize this. Everyone in the USA will NEVER have to contact Sega to give serial's. That would be absolutely horrible and unrealistic. This is a pre-ver2 maintenance, nothing more.

testtubebaby
Sep 24, 2001, 02:11 PM
If they had told us the "truth" on day one, I wouldn't have had to write a second article...

And if the "truth" is server maintenance, why was my (and many, many others) Serial Numbers put on a new list of numbers?

It’s my opinion (in this comment, which is aside from my journalistic views expressed in the article) that the initial report was true, that the servers did indeed crash, but that this second report is truth as well: the maintenance is due to yesterday's crash.

Now whether or not the reacquisition of Serial Numbers will required from here on out, I have no idea... Sega refused to comment on that.

HedgehogtheSonic
Sep 24, 2001, 02:16 PM
I guess there's no point in trying to spell it out any longer.

Sep 24, 2001, 02:31 PM
I talked to April this morning and she has a hot voice lol. But if Sega did know the servers were going to crash why didn't they warn us or Sega Technical support? I agree with the guy who said that they are now trying to fix the problem. I don't think Sega planned for the servers to crash. If I can't get on when I get ver.2 tomorrow I'm going to have to call April again.....lmao

testtubebaby
Sep 24, 2001, 02:34 PM
Thinking about something before you say it usually saves you the trouble of looking like a... well, I?ll leave it at that.
Look at it this way: Had Sega anticipated (read: planned) the "maintenance", wouldn't it be wise to assume that they would have put up the telephone message prior to the influx of calls? All scheduled maintenance had been announced days in advance in the past, so why wouldn't that been the case now.
The only possibilities are the primarily admitted "crash", or that certain last minute inconsistencies with PSO Ver.2 and PSO servers cause Sega to shut down the servers for upgrades post haste.
Because of the current situation and information, I have to believe that this is a repair job due to an unexpected crash, but I?m open to insight...

Sep 24, 2001, 03:00 PM
Let me sum up everything that's been said in every PSO forum and every PSO article in the past two days:
All v1 players who try to connect to play Phantasy Star Online will be given a message concerning their Serial Number/Key, and will not be able to log on.
Calling 1-800-USA-SEGA will only annoy the Tech Support people there and not resolve anything, because the thought of having all PSO users re-verify their Serial is absurd; why not just delete every one of them and start from scratch, saving phone lines?
We have no clue about when PSO will be back online, because SEGA has no clue when it will be back online. Whether it's because of inconsistencies between versions, or a GS hack, or the fact some stupid tech unplugged the server DOES NOT MATTER. The only thing that matters is that SEGA is working on the problem and that it will be fixed when it is fixed. Do you really think that SEGA is going to risk losing the revenues from v2 by not allowing people to connect?
We all need to take a couple of pills and calm down. PSO is not life. Use this time to unplug, play some other games, learn to cross-stitch, whatever. The servers will come back online, and when they do, this will be nothing more than a memory. Think about it: It's only been 29 hours since I was first unable to log on (I think I could play Sunday about 11:00 EST). Amazon.com has been down longer than this, folks. Keep it in perspective.

Sep 24, 2001, 03:46 PM
What were all of you doing? PlanetPSO.com (http://www.planetpso.com) reported this news Sunday Morning and has been keeping tabs on it ever since.

Sep 24, 2001, 03:48 PM
No kidding. If this was something planned, there would have been SOME kind of announcement. I believe the article on the planetpso site that says that this was unexpected. Maybe even hacked!

Mindblade
Sep 24, 2001, 04:45 PM
Exactly what I've been saying. It's just a matinance, and apparently just for the v1 servers, should should be hear to empty come the 25th.
Go out with your friends(and Girlfriends/Boyfriends if ya got 'em. :P), get some fresh air, play some god darn(Hehe) sports!

Sep 24, 2001, 05:56 PM
"Maybe even hacked!"
AHAHAHAH!!! You guys are too much. I quit.