PDA

View Full Version : Article: XBox PSO to require XBox Live for Offline Gameplay

eRUPT
Jan 31, 2003, 02:06 PM
According to this (http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4068) news the XBox version of PSO will require a XBox-Live account to be able to access even offline mode. This will probably not affect many of those who do plan on playing many other online games. One thing to note is the requirement to purchase a hunter license still with Sega in order to play online. So this does dispel the rumors of the XBox version being cheaper, sadly. The reason for requiring XBox live for offline play was since the JP release was a Pack-In for XBox live which of course would require the XBox live service so due to time constraints there was no time to take this requirement out without delaying the US release.

There's another article about it here (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2909988,00.html) at gamespot. There was talk about the Voice Chat system in which you will hear only the 7 closest people to you in the lobby. The users you currently can hear will have a speaker icon floating above their heads.

The Xbox version will be on the same Quest release schedule as the Gamecube version. One thing that differs is in the US servers for the Xbox version will not be linked with any foreign servers for security reasons. Microsoft expects PSO for Xbox to begin shipping to retail stores around February 25th and expect it to be on the shelves 2-10 days after.

The game comes with 2 free months of credit towards your hunter license.

Here is the official Press release:

"Microsoft Games Studios today announced that it will distribute SEGA's "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II" for Xbox in North America. The award-winning online role-playing series, which had more than 400,000 registered online users on the SEGA Dreamcast, arrives on store shelves this coming March and will be playable through Xbox LIVE?. In addition, the Xbox Communicator headset is fully compatible with "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II," enabling gamers from across North America to chat with each other with ease.

To play the game online, Xbox LIVE? subscribers will be required to buy a "hunter's license," which gives gamers the ability to travel on wild adventures with other "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II" gamers. It also provides access to a plethora of online exclusive content such as seasonal quests, downloads and rare in-game items. The hunter's license is free of charge for the first two months, and after that will carry a service fee of $8.95 per month.

Developed by famed SEGA game designer Yuji Naka and SONICTEAM, "Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II" features two games in one: Episode I contains all of the content from "Phantasy Star Online" and "Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2," while Episode II brings gamers back for an all-new adventure on the planet of Ragol. Gamers will search unchartered areas, battle unique monsters and discover numerous items. Both episodes can be played online or offline with up to four gamers. Additional game modes include Challenge and Battle. Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound is also supported in "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II." An Xbox LIVE? account is required to play "Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II" both offline and online. "
Thanks to Yurika (user.php?op=userinfo&uname=Yurika) and umipixie (user.php?op=userinfo&uname=umipixie) for this info

TerribleDeliMeat
Jan 31, 2003, 02:18 PM
*Hurrah sound*

I'm glad you'll need a Live! account. Now maybe we'll have a reasonably cheat free enviroment with Microsoft monitering the game offline and online.

Woggy
Jan 31, 2003, 03:06 PM
the US servers for the Xbox version will not be linked with any foreign servers

Damnit, Microsoft... I was really looking forward to the Xbox version but with this little tidbit of information, I think I'll pass.

I hope for a Windows version of EI&II.. one that's done right, unlike all of Sega's other PC titles.. (ugly 640x480 resolution lock, and low detail textures. Give me something for my Radeon 9700 Pro to chew on!)

Jan 31, 2003, 03:58 PM
Those of us without an Broadband Isp near them though are out of luck!

I bought an Xbox to play PSO offline on it. Now they say we need to PAY to play OFFLINE? That is insane!

BAD BAD IDEA!

Jkid
Jan 31, 2003, 04:36 PM
You forgot me,I also told you about this announcement from Mircosoft.

Jan 31, 2003, 04:42 PM
Ok so now we need XBL acct to play at all, you gotta buy a HL, no Axx to international users, Guild Card/Friends list cap of 100, and the standard hardware is supported.

I can't believe I was at one time looking foward to Xbox PSO. What a joke.

Balbarei
Jan 31, 2003, 09:47 PM
well their goes the thing to play with american and japanese people, still wating for eu pal pso march 7th so im on their :D

Jan 31, 2003, 10:31 PM
Yeah that online only thing is garbage. I enjoyed just playing the old PSO offline, and for months have been waiting for the X-box one. Now what's the point, Damn Microsoft, and Damn X-Box, should have just got a gamecube afterall.

Strider_Gren
Jan 31, 2003, 10:59 PM
sooooooo disappointing.....

Strider_Gren
Jan 31, 2003, 11:03 PM
I knew something was like this was bound to happen, that's why I have both GameCube and X-box. I guess I finally figured out which system to get PSO on.

GaMMa
Feb 1, 2003, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking about forgetting PSO... seriously Sonic Team if you want to get people to buy your trash why not make it free? 50 dollars to buy the game should be payment enough... instead we have to fork over another 10 a month just to play on servers that have a ton of downtime and that you refuse to update. Unless the fee goes away I'm not buying this game. Oh yea another thing.. the fact you need to put copyright sonicteam on the bottom of your images now.... wow sega you suck, go out of business, burn in hell and die. I live for the day you file for bankruptcy, which draws closer day by day because of your lineup of mediocre failing games. Don't think I'm sounding cruel here either people.... SEGA betrayed dreamcast users by discontinuing it 2 years into it's life. I'm not happy that I payed 50 for my DC while my friends got theirs for 50 also. Umm hacking problems on DC and the bugs on GC.... god bless sonic team's secure servers. Umm anything else I'm missing? Anyone else notice NFL2K3 looks like the dreamcast version and it nothing compared to NFL Fever 2K3?

DJ_Monkey
Feb 1, 2003, 01:35 AM
Well, there it goes. Once I beat the GC version(get to level 200), I'm quitting PSO forever, since there isn't anything new coming for it.

Damnit, Sonic Team! I knew something bad would happen. And to think I was looking forward to it...

Oh well, I can always take the money I would've spent on PSOX and buy stuff for my PDA.

I'll still hang here...though. While I play my GC version.

micah1500
Feb 5, 2003, 09:16 AM
but can you play for free for to months with out paying then it cut off how dose it work and what if u stop paying 4 xbl like next year will u still be able to play offline with out useing xbl no more