PDA

View Full Version : Article: PC to GC Keyboard Adapter Sells Out In Under 9 Minutes

eRUPT
Feb 24, 2003, 03:15 AM
The first Ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3009972329) for 50 adapters starting at 18:54:52 PST for the PC to Gamecube Keyboard Adapter that pantsofevilgamers.com (http://www.pantsofevilgamers.com/kb/) has created and is offering sold out in under 9 minutes, each with an item price of $21!
Layrinn (http://www.pso-world.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=Layrinn) or Eric of pantsofevilgamers.com had this to say:
"The first auction went up and was done in less than 9 mins, and due to some email delays some people did not receive notification until after the auction closed. Let me just apologize to all of you who missed the auction and offer these words of comfort: more are on the way. I was unaware that eBay had implemented a scheduled auction feature, so I just busted it to get the thing up as soon as I could. Next time around, I'll be able to tell you when the auction will be released and everyone will have a better shot at it.
The reality was that we only had 50 adapters for this first auction and over 500 people (these are people who were on the email list- there could be more) vying for them. Again, don't worry. If this auction is any indication of the demand out there we will do our best to meet it with supply.
And for those of you lucky enough to get in on the auction- watch your inboxes. We'll be mailing out confirmations and shipping info within the next day or so. Thanks again...."
Congratulations to the guys at pantsofevilgamers.com. Maybe we should contact (http://www.pantsofevilgamers.com/kb/creators.htm) them and encourage them to have another auction sometime soon for those of us needing keyboards. You can read the adapter FAQ here (http://www.pantsofevilgamers.com/kb/faq.htm). I guess it's time for them to order more parts! Congrats Layrinn!!

rabbitbot
Feb 24, 2003, 10:28 AM
I was one of the lucky 50 :)

I very much look foward to receiving my PSO Happy Fun Box. Yay for Adam and Eric, saviors of the underfunded hunter!

Feb 24, 2003, 10:38 AM
Lucky!

RagMasterRappy
Feb 24, 2003, 12:46 PM
As if it wasn't bad enough to be raped by Nintendo for being lazy asses..

benja
Feb 24, 2003, 01:45 PM
The adapter works great, congrats to those getting one soon. Be sure to check the compatible list, I picked up the cheapo $10 keyboard from Walmart and it works just dandy.

benja
Feb 24, 2003, 01:55 PM
....ok..

Feb 24, 2003, 04:25 PM
i've got to agree with him on this one, bad enough nintendo and sega aren't doing anything about the keyboard thing. Now some people are releasing some crappy adaptor kit which comes out being more than i'm willing to spend on an adaptor that you have to build yourself. I'm just gonna go with the import keyboard or wait till the xbox version comes out and jump shit to that

Layrinn
Feb 24, 2003, 05:08 PM
Just a minor clarification...

Layrinn = Eric ;)

Feb 24, 2003, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna get the import one too. For one thing, I really don't trust this home-made thingy. The other thing is that the import one is just...well...it's so much cooler! '=D (Is "cooler" even a word though? Shucks howdy!)

IronKnight
Feb 24, 2003, 07:31 PM
Wow... they should 50 pieces. *twirls finger* whoop de friggin do. Hell, 500 is still pitiful. If PSO GC is gonna be any good they need to fix the bugs, release an official US Keyboard, and lower the fee. As it stands now only 2000 ppl play it online.

Layrinn
Feb 24, 2003, 08:16 PM
Mmhmm... and how many keyboards or adapters have YOU sold? I'm sorry if I haven't met your lofty expectations when it comes to solving the keyboard problem, but at least I'm doing something besides bitching about it.

SonicTeam has a lot of problems they need to address with this game. I can't really do anything about that. What I CAN do is try to help out the PSO community by supplying these adapters the best I can. It may not be much, but it's more than anyone else is doing at this point... and I think that at least deserves a little respect.

rabbitbot
Feb 24, 2003, 08:38 PM
so youre pissed off that youre too lazy to put something together?

rabbitbot
Feb 24, 2003, 08:49 PM
Rock on man! Dont let these morons deterr you. You guys are heros in my opinion. These people who are saying anything negative about this project are infantile, trying to shoot down anything because they think it makes them look smarter. There is nothing bad about what youre doing, there is no downside. You guys are providing a solution to a BIG problem, and I applaude you for it.

Feb 24, 2003, 08:50 PM
Preach on brotha!

Feb 24, 2003, 08:55 PM
Hey Rabbot, it's me DarkEpyon from MC. Congrats on scoring one. We just need Chiaki on the bandwagon for when the next batch comes out.

RagMasterRappy
Feb 24, 2003, 09:26 PM
No, infact I'd be more than willing to construct it *if* I ever get one. It really irritates me. No keyboard for communication since the release of PSO, and a slow connection to top it off.

Feb 24, 2003, 10:41 PM
yeah there is something wrong with these adaptors....they're illegal.You need to get approval from nintendo to make adaptors for its system for profit.I think its cool that you guys made em but if nintendo gets wind of this the lawsuits will fly ;)

Gartywood
Feb 24, 2003, 11:11 PM
well more than 50 kits would have been nice and they would have sold but these guys are funding it out of pocket and on is a college student and the other is a recent grad with wife and child. Its amazing that they had the time and money to develop this. i will be buying the first one from the next auction tho (too bad i have to wait 3 weeks) ...or maybe one of the assembled ones from a reseller quicker

Feb 25, 2003, 12:10 AM
*if*

well *if* everyone is paying attention they'd notice that the initial amount the "evilpants kids" released was to see what kind of demand there was for their product. Ya know, supply & demand..

Now that they are able to gage the demand they can determine the amount to supply...

And at their price, they are only out to help their fellow pso'ers. So until the big "rapist" Nintendo gets of their "lazy" ass, this looks like the best option...

Feb 25, 2003, 12:14 AM
2 fans making 50 more psoers able to communicate doesn't impress you? And this is just the beginning of them helping us out? That doesn't deem worthy of a congrats or any type of praise? In your words: "Wow...they should"

rabbitbot
Feb 25, 2003, 12:49 AM
Theres nothing illegal about them at all. The design and function is completely original. There is no infringement. If such a law existed 3rd party peripheral makers such as madcatz pelican and interact would all be criminal, but they are not. The only slightly possible transgression could be the gamecube cable, but i doubt (seeing as the creators can buy it in bulk) that there is a problem with that. Nintendo doesnt own the rights to use of their equipment, after you buy your GC you can use it for anything from paperweight to it parts to build an electric coffee stirrer, its your property bought and paid for.

RagMasterRappy
Feb 25, 2003, 11:34 AM
So what? I know the supply was limited. I'm still angry, though.

Feb 25, 2003, 03:49 PM
people have the right to be angry, this is screwed up that people have to go out and make their own keyboards for the gamecube online setup. It's all nice and swell that these people are making these adaptors but many of us don't want to buy something like that. We want some kind of good treatment from nintendo or sega and have the proper perepherals to go along with their games. I hope mad catz releases their adaptor, the kind that they made for the dreamcast

IronKnight
Feb 25, 2003, 04:56 PM
How original, criticize an obvious typo. I meant "sold" but I had a brain fart.

IronKnight
Feb 25, 2003, 05:02 PM
I thought you needed some kind of license to sell things out of your home. I run a small business out of my household and I had to get a license from the State of Florida (Costs me a decent chunk of change too). Anyways, I guess I was a bit harsh but I was just trying to prove my point that this is a very small feat and not the Panecea alot of you are making out to be. I am glad it is selling but there are other things on the market to use a KB with GC... So it's not exactly a new thing.

Feb 25, 2003, 05:19 PM
"How original," don't address the points about how stupid your original comment was...

No surprise..

Feb 25, 2003, 07:52 PM
Yes! I agree! Altough I am going to shell out for that nifty import one, I still think that the people making these adaptors are doing a great thing. Many people are complaining about there being no keyboard in the US, PSO's huge fee for online play, and all the bugs but none of that has anything to do with the people making the adaptors. They are trying to solve one of these problems and help all other PSO players! So just think about that before you go on about all of PSO's problems. It's not the adaptor-making-people's fault, at least they're doing something to help! (Yeah, yeah, I really don't know the names of these "adaptor people", sorry! lol)

Eden
Feb 25, 2003, 08:45 PM
your rich cuz you know html ;)

IronKnight
Feb 25, 2003, 08:50 PM
Seemed like an intelligent post to me; harsh but correct. This isn't a major success in any way, shape or form. Products like this have been on the market for at least a month... Do the other guys get credit? No.

Minneyar
Feb 25, 2003, 10:31 PM
Could you tell me where to find the other products like this? Or, better yet, submit a story with the relevant information to PSOW? I've yet to see or hear of a single GC keyboard or adapter available in the US other than this one.

Layrinn
Feb 25, 2003, 11:13 PM
Hahaha. XD

You rule, Eden.

RagMasterRappy
Feb 26, 2003, 02:48 AM
Huh? I don't get it.

rabbitbot
Feb 26, 2003, 09:38 AM
I dont think the small business fee applys because really all they are doing is buying things, seperating them into baggys and selling the peices, no different than anybody selling their game system on ebay for a set price. I think it would be a different story if they actually had business dealings out of their home/office, but since its all done through the mail i am unsure. Anybody a professional in business law?

Layrinn
Feb 26, 2003, 10:20 AM
Inside joke, Rag. Probably only me and Eden get it. ;)

rabbitbot
Feb 26, 2003, 07:05 PM
You guys should start a peripheral company. I mean you certainly can make mucho dinero off of your latest invention as to turn into startup capital for a small business. Take back video games to video gamers, viva le revolutione! He he youll be bigger than interact in time with such a niche as the GC keyboard at your disposal.

RagMasterRappy
Feb 26, 2003, 07:11 PM
Oh ok. I still don't find HTML funny, though.