PDA

View Full Version : Article: Gamecube Goes Online In Uk. No One Notices

eRUPT
Mar 14, 2003, 07:20 AM
This funny article (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?subsectionid=160&articleid=65024&pagetype=2) was featured on gamesradar (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/) just a few short days ago:
"Despite, in theory, being a landmark moment in console gaming, the launch of Nintendo's modem and broadband adaptors was marked by a distinct lack of excitement.
Anecdotal evidence from retail sources points to the lack of stock available - apparently due to games shops having had to pre-order the adaptors as long as six months ago - as being one factor in the launch being so low-key.
Of course, things aren't really helped by there currently being only one online-compatible game available at present - Phantasy Star Online - and Nintendo's apparently blase attitude to developing first-party online games.
Nintendo's take on the matter is that they're not, at present, launching an online service as such but are simply supporting a third-party release by facilitating the online play aspect of Phantasy Star."
And yet another funny mention of PSO in article about Dixons dumping GC here (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?subsectionid=160&articleid=65031&pagetype=2):
"Meanwhile, following the incredibly low-key launch of Gamecube's modem and broadband adaptors last Friday, GAME has confirmed that it will not be selling either item, apparently citing the instability of Sega's network for Phantasy Star Online (currently the only online Cube title) as the reason. "
Oh boy, haven't we all shared our share of "the instability of Sega's network for Phantasy Star Online."

psobloke
Mar 14, 2003, 11:18 AM
Man, Us Brits are SOOOOOO unlucky!

I got Pso on the release day and went 2 the shop yesterday to buy the modem, to find it wasn't there! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO e.t.c

Xion810
Mar 14, 2003, 12:40 PM
"Instability of Sega's Network for PSO"? Sorry! I just find instability in my 56k connection. It's not the server, it's the connection. If you have a horrid connection to the server, no wonder you'd be getting plenty of SOD's.

I only FSODed three times since Febuary 21. Twice I lost my stuff because I didn't know how to fix it. :)

Give PSO another chance, idiots. PSO is Everquest, Sega style. This means that it does have a definite end, unlike EQ. Facist sony bastards.

Lantern
Mar 14, 2003, 08:43 PM
sorry... but, this is no EQ. Even on EQ's worst day, this is no EQ. I have been waiting for this game for a long time for Xbox. I've come to my senses and realized this game will probably never make it to the US shores.

I come to this site every day to see what else went wrong in good 'ol' PSO this time (on Sega's servers)... it's like reading the old Blondie and Dagwood strips in the newspaper (PSO being Dagwood). Retail stores in the UK just saved a lot of people some money.

Dark_Cloud
Mar 15, 2003, 01:18 PM
I work in a computer games retailers and we just got the nodems and boradband adapters yesterday. still it's a week later than the game though:(

Xion810
Mar 16, 2003, 10:39 AM
This may not be EQ, but I think it's better for people to be on because it's not a time suck. Yes, it may be addictive, but not as bad as EQ where it's a realtime world you're in. This is a generated world so you can play it any time and quit at any time and not have to worry about missing ANYTHING...

Unless somebody online gives out rares but that's a different story.

Saving money by not getting PSOX? Yes. Get it GC, unless you play other stuff on Xbox Live.

TerribleDeliMeat
Mar 17, 2003, 09:08 PM
Does it honestly surprise anyone that the only online game for Gamecube doesn't garner any sort of attention?

Even in the US, Nintendo basically spat in Sega's eye and refused to market it with their big Fall/Winter 2002 titles. I mean, jesus..Resident Evil 0? Why didnt they slip in PSO instead?

Nintendo has really shot themselves in the foot with this console. Rather than advertising the fact the console can go online, the modems and bba are shunned into the back of the Winter 2002 catalog.

It doesn't even have to be online games, just little hooks like the extra songs on Samba De Amigo or the extra content on Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast. They could have easily given gamers the opportunity to download more NES or even SNES games for Animal Crossing.

Instead, Nintendo's arrogance prevents them realizing that online (in any form) is the future for gaming. They had better ship up with this new console...otherwise, they'll suffer the same fate as Sega.

Mar 19, 2003, 01:18 AM
The game should've been advertised a lot more, i don't have a GC-modem and i don't think i'll get one either, i just bought the game to play offline. rented it and bought it the day i had to return it.

it's a great game, so even if nintendo didn't want to go full out with the online part yet, they should've at least promoted the game a little...

Mar 19, 2006, 01:22 PM