PDA

View Full Version : Article: Dreamcast and Gamecube Server Shutdown

Ryna
Dec 8, 2006, 10:30 AM
On April 1st, 2007, Sonic Team will officially be shutting down the Gamecube and Dreamcast servers as seen in this <a href="http://tails04.sonicteam.com/cgi-bin/pso/info/info.cgi" >announcment</a>. The servers will become free-to-play on March 1st, 2007 for a one month period. Also, the 90 payment option will be discontinued on December 8th and the 30 day option on January 29th. Listed below is the versions of the game that will be affected by this anouncement:
Dreamcast
Version 1
Version 2
Gamecube
Episode 1&2
Episode 1&2 Plus
Episode 3
The XBox and Blue Burst servers will remain in operation for the forseeable future. Credit goes to <a href="http://www.pso-world.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=Renamon" >Renamon</a> for spotting this update and <a href="http://www.pso-world.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=EspioKaos" >EspioKaos</a>/<a href="http://www.pso-world.com/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=EspioKaos" >Arislan</a> for providing translations. You can share your reaction in our Phantasy Star Online forum (http://www.pso-world.com/viewforum.php?forum=1).

AnnabellaRenee87
Dec 9, 2006, 06:12 AM
RIP GCN servers...... i wont forget your FSOD's

and i will never forget how bad Ep. 3 was...

Dec 9, 2006, 09:48 AM
Knew this'd happen eventually, but still sad to see GC go.

I won't forget the Antares 8 days. R.I.P. GC PSO.

Dhylec
Dec 9, 2006, 11:54 AM
Nothing lasts forever, but I did had fun when it was around. Did you? ;]

RoninJoku
Dec 9, 2006, 02:22 PM
Quite literally the end of an era in my life. However, the days of good old PSO have been gone for quite some time. This news still makes me a bit sad though. I will miss those good days. See you, every hunters of PSO. /salute

Ryno
Dec 9, 2006, 04:01 PM
i'm glad xbox servers are not down. because i still have some original pso friends on there that dont have a 360 yet.

zandra117
Dec 9, 2006, 05:56 PM
Um... April fools?!

metatime
Dec 10, 2006, 11:09 AM
I had a lot of good memories on ST. I came on around the same time psow and psop people were leaving for PSOBB so I was a bit of a late comer. Even though it was late, I still met a lot of people and had fun. I still play PSO to this day.

Split
Dec 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
free to play? nasty! all legit people go online now, this is the perfect chance to revive the gc servers!

Johan
Dec 10, 2006, 08:50 PM
April 1 is the start of the Japanese fiscal year.

SStrikerR
Dec 11, 2006, 07:27 PM
SEGA!!!!!!!!! ILL DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it aint fair! i had so many ppl...........mario.......neo.......halo zelmos......marnol......i already miss them........but the few ppl that r left other than me.....ill miss ppl all over again. but now they decide to shut them down AFTER the hackers left....no time to do all i wanted to do still......in the last month.....ppl please just get on for that time period.....2 reasons y.......1.i need fellow players to do a few quests that i wanted.......also.......i wanna see my friends again.....1 last time.......1 thing tho......a few ppl i wont miss and i hope DONT get on are...brandon.....ying.....yang.....all the corrupters...man i hope this is an april fools joke...........pretty sick if you ask me.........

Number_Zero
Dec 12, 2006, 11:26 AM
Well that sucks. In all honesty I was expecting the Xbox servers to be shut down first.

Sire_Doime
Dec 12, 2006, 10:28 PM
That is exactly what I'm thinking. Hmmmm?

Or maaaaybe a precursory announcment involving the series. Like another one, well..probalyy not..unless they destroy it by making it ....an....ulp...M...M..O..RP..G. UGH!

Please I hope that won;t be the case! MMOs suck!

Sire_Doime
Dec 12, 2006, 10:37 PM
I had some really great times online onboard the Carme, Himalia, and Ganymede. All JP ships of course; we KNOW what the US ships were like. I'll never forget my first time being PK'd. And when the lobby went all crazy and my DC rebooted.

No, I won't miss that. But, I had a great time playing on the PAL servers. I'll just keep playing until the end. There's more than enough time to get from 46 to 80 to play on ultimate mode. Yes, this was really the best game to play online. Now, it's just all war games and sports games that are online. sigh...the true end of an a true era.

Sire_Doime
Dec 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
Wow, I really didn't know that.

:D We Americans are 'tupid. We live on planet USAmerica. :P

qrayg
Dec 13, 2006, 02:09 PM
I thought the Dreamcast Servers have been gone for years now? Why does it say Gamecube and Dreamcast?

_explosive_
Dec 13, 2006, 05:08 PM
EU and JP DC servers are still up.

US went down a long time ago.

DikkyRay
Dec 18, 2006, 05:59 PM
MAn. GOod times on ep3 guys (you know who you are)

Man, pso ruled. Its a shame that i have to see it go. Ah oh well. Thats going to be one hell of a month on ep3. I better get ready

MasterMargie
Dec 25, 2006, 03:24 AM
Wow, this sucks. I only had my account active online for about three weeks, but it was the sweetest three weeks of PSO ever.

I'm glad that I at least got on before the end.

radical_ryan
Dec 31, 2006, 02:18 PM
gay is in the air

Thrash777
Jan 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
It's strange that they are keeping the Xbox servers up... must be cheaper to run... and I'm sure the Gamecube has a larger community...

sonicburn
Jan 7, 2007, 05:46 PM
Before shutting the whole server, I think Sega should annouce by making the last specail edition of PSO episode 1&2 for GAmecube. All online quests should be added on the last edition for offline mode. Due to the fact that some PSOs fan cannot afford to to install braodband adpter to go online.

And since sega is focusing on PSU, I think SEga should announce the last specail edition for the gamecube. Thats my suggestion. BUt it up to SEGA!!!

What do you think PSO fans?!?!?!

Jan 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
will we still need a visa or master card for the free gameplay

Vandrell
Jan 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
will we still need a visa or master card for the free gameplay

Vandrell
Jan 11, 2007, 09:46 AM
you know this game means alot to me even though i never got a chance to go online, i mean i just turned 18 and i was just about to apply for a visa/master card just for this.

I also had kids that where 4 years old traning and traning hard so that their cheracter would be like minds one day. eveywhere i go people know about it because of me all i do ever day is carry the book around with me all the time infact i ended up selling my other games just to get three more copys to give to others.

nsonic
Jan 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
This might be hard to believe but I guess in japan they still have the DC servers going strong. I remember that news when word of the DC shutdown happened. I've heard more people play on the PSO Xbox version more than the GC (for obvious reasons). So that might be why that's still going. Still, it's sad to see the GC PSO go. Time to light another candle that'll set right next to my DC version.

sk8erdez
Jan 18, 2007, 06:47 AM
I never even got to go online and I don't understand why they would shut the servers this is probably one of the most played online game and I am not getting a 360 so I won't go on that either.

They should do what guild wars does and just allow people to play teh game online for free for ever. and only charge for the newer versions cause some people can not afford to get the 360

Oranjuice_2
Feb 2, 2007, 12:07 AM
I WISH!!! I was thinking along the same lines earlier today. They'll never do anything sensible.

Maex
Feb 2, 2007, 10:15 AM
When the Dreamcast came out SEGA promised "livelong servers and gameplay". Now look where we are ...